IGNORED

When Did We Own Ashton Gate

basshead

can anybody help ,having a bit of an argument with a gashead last night he said in 1982 we didnt own ashton gate it belonged to the people of bristol

something to do with lady smythe.quite sure he is talking crap.

I think the Gash 'ead may have been getting confused with Ashton Park opposite Ashton Gate. I believe the park was owned by the Smythe family, but they donated it to the people of Bristol as a parkland gift so long as it remained parkland.

Ashton Gate was owned by Bedminster FC and when they merged with Bristol South End it was agreed the Gate would be the home of the new club Bristol City.

Presumably sometine in the 1980s the ground was acquired by Bristol City FC Holdings Ltd (or some such).

Now is the team allowed to play there free of charge or does the football club pay rent the the Holdings company?

Ashton Gate was owned by Bedminster FC and when they merged with Bristol South End it was agreed the Gate would be the home of the new club Bristol City.

Presumably sometine in the 1980s the ground was acquired by Bristol City FC Holdings Ltd (or some such).

Now is the team allowed to play there free of charge or does the football club pay rent the the Holdings company?

If City are selling the ground to Sainsbury'sfingerscrossed.gif to help towards the new groundfingerscrossed.gif surely City own it outright?

Bristol City FC don't own it, it's a weird setup. We effectively own it, but don't technically.

Bristol City Holdings owns the ground, and as far as I know Bristol City holdings owns Bristol City FC. Bristol City FC has a 100-year lease (I think) on the ground from Bristol City Holdings.

Bristol City FC don't own it, it's a weird setup. We effectively own it, but don't technically.

Bristol City Holdings owns the ground, and as far as I know Bristol City holdings owns Bristol City FC. Bristol City FC has a 100-year lease (I think) on the ground from Bristol City Holdings.

Think your right, didn't the board split the club into two entities so that if Bristol City FC was into administration, the stadium couldn't be counted as an asset.

Archived