IGNORED

Holloway V Warnock

Abraham Romanovich

Bit of a cheap and unnecessary jibe at big Ron there I thought. OK so he stepped out of line with his remark but does that make him a racist? I doubt it and for a journo to lazily say he is rather undermines what is otherwise a reasonable article.

I think you may have taken this too literally :dunno: .

:laughcont: Too many Cuba Libre's perhaps?

narghhhh.. can't stand em. Mojito or Daquiri for me.

but seriously, i was not really taking it seriously myself but more pointing out i think it was simply a cheap jibe from a journo into what is a pretty nasty label to have around your neck... there was no need for him to say it when the accusation, however you read it, is a very serious one.

but seriously, i was not really taking it seriously myself but more pointing out i think it was simply a cheap jibe from a journo into what is a pretty nasty label to have around your neck... there was no need for him to say it when the accusation, however you read it, is a very serious one.

Its a spoof , probably written by a comedian rather than a journalist. I would imagine Ron Atkinson would find it funny.

Dont forget as a manager he had plenty of black players in his teams , Regis , Cunnigham , Moses etc.

The Cuban Mojito is now one of the most popular drinks of the 'Capitalist' world. My brother-in-law was in the same class as Ian Holloway at Sir Bernard Lovell School. Life is full of strange contrasts. If Ian Holloway is reading this he'll probably know exactly who I am. :laugh:

Its a spoof , probably written by a comedian rather than a journalist. I would imagine Ron Atkinson would find it funny.

Dont forget as a manager he had plenty of black players in his teams , Regis , Cunnigham , Moses etc.

Spoof or no, journo or comedian, it's not funny.

Is this for real?

Atkinson called Marcel Desailly "a ******* lazy thick n*****."

Now tell me, how is that not racist?

It is a nastly label indeed but an all too deserved one. It is not an acusation by the journo, it is a simple statement of fact, Atkinson is scum.

Is this for real?

It is a nastly label indeed but an all too deserved one. It is not an acusation by the journo, it is a simple statement of fact, Atkinson is scum.

To be fair his comments were taken out of context ...

:tumbleweed:

Is this for real?

Ron is from the streets though, that's how they talk on the streets of Liverpool.

Is this for real?

Was thinking exactly the same, You can't say racist things in a deadly serious and reasonably aggressive manner and not be racist...

Is this for real?

I'll revise my comment, obviously, if you can give me a link to those remarks.

Here you go mate. Surprised you didn't know about this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/apr/22/football.raceintheuk

Cheers GR. Nothing short of a horrible remark and indefensible. Granted, he probably cannot complain at journos lambasting him at every opportunity but I still think it would have been preferable for it not to have been included in his article. Why? Because Ron has probably already paid the ultimate price for his error. And do I think Ron is a racist? I am still not sure. How can anyone be with an admittedly stupid and demeaning slip of the tongue when he has spent a lot of time nurturing the talent of the likes of Batson, Regis, Cunningham and others in the day when it was a very rare occurrence. With such talent in his midst it might not be hard to overhear talk amongst themselves referring to the said word in nothing more than common vocabulary; the black community use that word daily amongst themselves but when a white man says it he is considered a racist by some; I have a few black friends from Harlem. That said, Ron stepped out of line and paid the price and rightly so.

But he never said it in an "everyday" tone did he? He used it as an insult. It doesn't matter that the word has been "repatriated" because he used it to cause offence or insult. He wasn't calling him his "homie" but calling him a lazy fat *Racist Term Removed.

If anything his ignorance to the offensive nature of the word justifies the ridicule he receives.

But he never said it in an "everyday" tone did he? He used it as an insult. It doesn't matter that the word has been "repatriated" because he used it to cause offence or insult. He wasn't calling him his "homie" but calling him a lazy fat *Racist Term Removed.

If anything his ignorance to the offensive nature of the word justifies the ridicule he receives.

In the context in which it was used of course it was offensive but i do not believe he was ignorant to that. i.e. on reflection he knows it was not acceptable.

Archived