IGNORED

In The History Of Football

That's right. But I'd be I'd rather it be like this and forego success on the international stage.

Wow, this is a very interesting opinion.So as an English man (assuming you are) would it not concern you to see over the next 20 or so years many African nations the USA Australia etc overtaken us internationally? Because i firmly believe that is what will happen if we dont change the way we approach football in this country. Every WC or Euro you see teams that have progressed and improved yet we slowly seem to go backwards, its no coincidence Ghana got further than us last year..

Personally i do love the Premier league, but we need to face facts football is moving foward at a fast pace and we are simply standing still and watching.

As you're 40 years old I reckon you'll remember us in the top flight when we played Bob Paisley's Liverpool and Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest of the late 1970s. Against Bob Paisley's Liverpool or Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest Barcelona would probably have lost 1-0. Those afore mentioned English sides were legendary at grinding out results against far classier European opposition.

A lot would depend on whether Liverpool were still allowed to pass it back to the keeper.

The AC Milan side of the late '80s who battered all before them, Real Madrid included to lift the '89 European Cup have to be the nearest nomination at Club level for me. Rossi, Maldini, Costacurta, Baresi, Donadoni, Rijkaard, Gullit, Van Basten - it was also a collection of Footballing masters.

I consider the pace to have been slower then, I was amazed at the (lack of) speed in the 1966 World Cup final. I suspect the athletes of the modern day would run circles around their predecessors, they'd be chasing shadows! It is the reason modern day players pick up so many more muscular strains and the like, too.

A criticism of last night is that they were effectively gifted all three goals, non are going to be remembered as vintage. You could argue they simply and inevitably picked United off through constant assault but that's it.

I'm not old enough to remember the Brazil or Ajax sides of the '70s and certainly not the great Madrid side in the '50s. However, in my time watching footie, I would say that this Barca team are by far the best I have ever seen. The only team that come close would be the Milan team of the early '90s (Guillet, Van Basten era). Messi is the best player I've ever had the privilege to watch (I am old enough to remember seeing Maradonna, so quite an honour). Whether you find their passing game boring or not (I would love to see City play half as well), their results speak for themselves and I'm sure they'll be there or thereabouts in the Champions' League over the next few years. The likes of Xavi and Iniesta are not over-rated, they just make the game look really easy.

If Ajax invented Total Football, then Barca invented Perfect Football.

Or does Barca play Total Football perfectly?

I do remember the Brazil sides of the 70's and I would say the this Barca side is more impressive. You only have to think about the standards of world football these days, and I would say we have come along way since those days.

However you can only beat comprehensively what is in front of you.

I think we can all say we witnessed something special last night and it will long remain in our football memories.

......and who knows, maybe will be comparing the Bristol City side in 2034 to this Barca side!

Wow, this is a very interesting opinion.So as an English man (assuming you are) would it not concern you to see over the next 20 or so years many African nations the USA Australia etc overtaken us internationally? Because i firmly believe that is what will happen if we dont change the way we approach football in this country. Every WC or Euro you see teams that have progressed and improved yet we slowly seem to go backwards, its no coincidence Ghana got further than us last year..

Personally i do love the Premier league, but we need to face facts football is moving foward at a fast pace and we are simply standing still and watching.

If it was one or the other I'd take far more pleasure from my club football.

I can live with the inevitable disappointment every 2 years watching our over-paid Engliah players ****ing it up again.

A lot would depend on whether Liverpool were still allowed to pass it back to the keeper.

Their keeper in that golden era was Ray Clemence. Historically, the Liverpool manager of that time - Bob Paisley - was a genius and one of the truely great managers of English football. The problem was that nobody could understand the accent of Bob Paisley - except his players?

We have got a Xavi an Inesta, lets hope the media gives this boy a chance his name is Jack Wilshire, build your side around this guy, and tell 6-8yrs love the ball, pass the ball. Short sharp passes and be available to receive it again, Mr Wenger please tell me you have got a few more English youngsters like him, or shall we ask players like Mr Pullis those to kick, lump and have a long throw in,would you be happy if we played in the Prem like this.

i couldnt agree more with this. wenger has been playing barcelona style of football for years the only difference between them being the 3 amigos. I for one am glad we got wenger in this country to influence his style on our best youngsters this is gonna be the only way forward for england to progress to the next level. it will come one day but like everything in england it will take alot longer than anywhere else in the world. Is bristol city council secretly running english football ? i smell a conspiracy

A criticism of last night is that they were effectively gifted all three goals, non are going to be remembered as vintage. You could argue they simply and inevitably picked United off through constant assault but that's it.

Not sure I agree, maybe one of them but mostly as you allude to in your final point, it was the consistent switching of the front 3 that wore them down. Villa's strike was great, Messi's strike was great, Xavi's through ball to Pedro was excellent work. Great fluency though- Pedro wide right, Villa wide left, Messi in the centre. Messi would drop off and create a decent amount of space to exploit, Pedro, Villa and Messi would suddenly pop up in different positions and since they all have such different attributes, it is a major headache for any defence in that context.

Archived