IGNORED

No Matter How Bad This Forum Gets

screech

or how ludicrous some of the suggestions of signings become, nothing comes close to what I have just read on the BBC site, Martin O'Neill has been linked with managing Cardiff. Is there an emoticon on this board that can come close to capturing how totally f....d up that report is?

Nothing more than they deserve. Henrik Larsson mentioned in an interview that he never ever heard that man expressing his views on how the team should play.

WHAT! o'neill is quality i cannot see him going there in a million years!! (oh yes double apostrophe)

What, cos it's unlikely?

I can see the appeal of going to potentially big clubs that are in the championship (Cardiff, Bristol City, Crystal Palace, Forest etc). Get them up and you are a hero.

I'd have agreed with that 15-20 years ago. Nowadays money talks. In fact, money is all that matters most of the time. I presume O'Neill has media obligations that would have to be ditched to some extent too?

Your club seem to have dismissed it. As for the bookies, well, where the money goes dictates the odds. This is all over your forum so money will be being put on and the odds will come down, obviously.

Here's a thought, have you considered Steve Coppell?..... :farmer:

What, cos it's unlikely?

I can see the appeal of going to potentially big clubs that are in the championship (Cardiff, Bristol City, Crystal Palace, Forest etc). Get them up and you are a hero.

It's not always about being the hero. he wants to be in europe trying to win things. personal ambition to achieve at the top. Cardiff have no chance of this. well i bloody hope not.

I'm sceptical about managers in general. I believe most of them are a total waste of space and if a manager can't even express his views about how the team should play (which fair enough is total bullshit talking anyway) I'm even more concerned.

That's exactly what Larsson said. He never ever heard him express his view about how the team should play. Did not exactly have high thoughts of him so Cardiff are welcome to waste their money if they got any left.

I'm sceptical about managers in general. I believe most of them are a total waste of space and if a manager can't even express his views about how the team should play (which fair enough is total bullshit talking anyway) I'm even more concerned.

That's exactly what Larsson said. He never ever heard him express his view about how the team should play. Did not exactly have high thoughts about him so Cardiff are welcome to waste their money if they got any left.

Was this an interview done in Sweden? A link would be interesting...

In addition to this, for all O'Neill's high rep etc and for all that he is an excellent domestic manager- his CL record with Celtic wasn't great. Indeed, Gordon Strachan's is superior, despite the latter arguably having had a worse side at his disposal- i.e. no Larsson amongst others.O'Neill's European record in general isn't great actually.

Was this an interview done in Sweden? A link would be interesting...

In addition to this, for all O'Neill's high rep etc and for all that he is an excellent domestic manager- his CL record with Celtic wasn't great. Indeed, Gordon Strachan's is superior, despite the latter arguably having had a worse side at his disposal- i.e. no Larsson amongst others.O'Neill's European record in general isn't great actually.

He said it in an interview in the Sunday sport show, "Sportspegeln", years ago but I doubt the programmes are still on line although I well check it up. I remember it well as I was surprised by is honesty, the interviewer actually believed he was a good manager in Larssons view and maybe he was as a good manager (in my opinion) should keep his mouth well shut and leave it to the players.What I think he said was that things were very much the same as in the dark days and nothing has changed since Hastings 1066.

Martin O'Neill could have come here. Early in 1992 Lumsden was dismissed. Ossie Ardiles said he was interested in the job and Chairman Leslie Kew said he believed Ardiles was the ideal man for the job. Chris Nichol, a former Southampto nmanager then applied. Two of the directors decided not to vote for Ardiles stating that a big name did not guarantee success. Martin O'Neil and Russell Osman then applied. Due to his playing experience Osman was appointed caretaker manager and that week City picked up their first point for seven weeks witha draw against Grimsby.

I always used to think he was a good manager, though his time at villa perhaps revealed he's not quite the manager we thought he was. Lets be honest though, if he was being linked with us we'd be well excited- just like we were when coppell signed...

Who knows what will happen. I just think that clubs like Cardiff (and as stated, Bristol City, Nottingham Forest etc) big clubs, lots of potential etc offer a pretty attractive proposition to a lot of managers.

I don't think for one minute Martin O'Neill will join Cardiff, but I can see the appeal.

The problem you have is that any manager who comes in knows that he has to get promoted or fired and that's going to be impossible for you next season with reduced expenditure and a squad that needs a near complete rebuild.

Talk of Hughton and Di Matteo is unrealistic, both of those will get better offers IMO. O'Neill isn't unrealistic, it's utter fantasy. There's no reason he'll step down, he can be a hero at a Prem club by finishing six places higher than their fans expect.

My guess is that you will end up with someone less capable than Jones (because he was very good at this level and the best managers within your range will take equally well compensated jobs without the unrealistic expectation) and finish between mid table and bottom half due to the changes necessary.

That wouldn't be a bad thing if it was another club with realistic expectations where you could build sustainably over three years or so, but your fanbase is unrealistic and it'll probably mean a mid season manager sacking.

I find it strange with managers like O'Neill and now Robins. When there is no money to buy success they walk away. With no money less pressure and the time a good manager need to build his own team from youth players and a good scouting.

Not sure about that- O'Neill did pretty well at Leicester, guyscame through there under O'Neill- notably Heskey. Know less about Robins, but on the face of it he did pretty well at Rotherham and a sound job at Barnsley.

I don't think Hughton is unrealistic at all. In fact he would be my tip.

One thing that has struck me; Remember not so many years back so many people were screaming for the likes of Fat Sam and MoN to be the next England manager....

Hindsight eh?

I don't think Hughton is unrealistic at all. In fact he would be my tip.

One thing that has struck me; Remember not so many years back so many people were screaming for the likes of Fat Sam and MoN to be the next England manager....

Hindsight eh?

Dunno about hindsight. Fat Sam as England manager was always a mental idea, it was just being backed by the sort of sun reading numpties who think being English is a qualification. He'd have been like a poor man's Graham Taylor and I think those wanting him to get the job were the small minority.

O'Neill is a far better manager but never did enough to get the job either.

Dunno about hindsight. Fat Sam as England manager was always a mental idea, it was just being backed by the sort of sun reading numpties who think being English is a qualification. He'd have been like a poor man's Graham Taylor and I think those wanting him to get the job were the small minority.

O'Neill is a far better manager but never did enough to get the job either.

For me 'being English' is a sine qua non for the job of England manager.

I find it strange with managers like O'Neill and now Robins. When there is no money to buy success they walk away. With no money less pressure and the time a good manager need to build his own team from youth players and a good scouting.

From what i understand with Robins, he walked away because the board wanted him to agree to a variation to his contract which would give him very little compensation in the event of his sacking, less money in wages, told him he had to sell several members of the squad and would only be able to replace them with free transfers and loan signings. That was his reward for Barnsley's best league finish for about 10 years. The buck doesn't always stop with the manager

From what i understand with Robins, he walked away because the board wanted him to agree to a variation to his contract which would give him very little compensation in the event of his sacking, less money in wages, told him he had to sell several members of the squad and would only be able to replace them with free transfers and loan signings. That was his reward for Barnsley's best league finish for about 10 years. The buck doesn't always stop with the manager

Sorry but this is BS, Robins was given a Transfer Budget for the new season coming up and he wasnt happy with it, he did NOT have to sell anyone. Robins has done a tremendous Job here but hes wasted Money aswell as spent some correctly. But when he got told he wont have a lot of Money and would have to bring a few through Academy, he left.

There is Money available (Not alot though) and he was allowed to keep anyone he wanted, did not have to sell anyone

As mad as David James joing us?, Joesph Blatter is still running?, you never know Owen getting a one year contract today in football at that club you never Joesph C***t aside this why we love the game what will happening this summer in the transfer market not just managers, hopefully we get the players we need. To the original poster.

Sorry but this is BS, Robins was given a Transfer Budget for the new season coming up and he wasnt happy with it, he did NOT have to sell anyone. Robins has done a tremendous Job here but hes wasted Money aswell as spent some correctly. But when he got told he wont have a lot of Money and would have to bring a few through Academy, he left.

There is Money available (Not alot though) and he was allowed to keep anyone he wanted, did not have to sell anyone

Just what i've heard at work, though the groundswell of opinion at work seems to be that the changes to his own terms and conditions was the deal breaker. Imagine if you'd taken a job, done better than your predecessor and been rewarded with a cut in wages and a change to your terms and conditions that would allow your employer to get rid of you far more easily. He may well not HAVE to sell anyone, but lets see what happens with Derby's bid for Shackell- rumoured to be for less than what you paid for him. I have great affection for Barnsley football club and i'm not stirring at all, but i think Cryne wants out (if he doesn't end up inside!) and that there could be some lean years ahead

Archived