IGNORED

Lee Johnson To Derby

sparkyboy72

Has never been Championship quality imo. Has never been consistent enough to effect games regularly. He's a good Div 1 player and would fit well into any club at that level. If he doesn't move on this summer then I could see him joining Exeter or maybe going back to Yeovil in January. Either would probably offer him a 3 year deal.

Off the pitch him and his missus are quietly going about building a property empire and at 30 maybe football will start to slip down the priority list for him.

One thing is for sure - he won't be going to Northampton.

Has never been Championship quality imo. Has never been consistent enough to effect games regularly. He's a good Div 1 player and would fit well into any club at that level. If he doesn't move on this summer then I could see him joining Exeter or maybe going back to Yeovil in January. Either would probably offer him a 3 year deal.

Off the pitch him and his missus are quietly going about building a property empire and at 30 maybe football will start to slip down the priority list for him.

One thing is for sure - he won't be going to Northampton.

:fish: :fish:

He was clearly always been good enough - not a world beater by any means - but fairly decent.

We might have got auto if he did'nt get injured in 2008.

Oh and why wont he go to northampton?

If he had just turned 40 I might agree with you but 30 is in the region of prime age for a footballer.

Surely a footballer who was a Championship regular for 3 years when his dad was manager will be snapped up by some other lucky Championship manager.

ignoring the sarcasm I'd say being out of favour here and being the wrong side of 30 will mean there are better options out there for a lot of managers at this level. Much as there must be for us if we're looking to get rid.

My (hopefully) honest assessment of LJ's game is that he is reasonable on the ball, can spread it well when given time, can be fairly inventive from set pieces, always shows for the ball and has quite a bit of stamina in that he covers a lot of ground. Balanced by him being absolutely useless off the ball, not closing down, not marking and rarely winning it, sometimes playing defenders into trouble under pressure and not having any change of pace so looking fairly slow in a sprint. Although he can thrive in a three man midfield you can't really rely on him in a two man central midfield unless you are at home against a weaker side, and he's not quite good enough to change formation around at this level (might well be worth doing in league one).

He's got a year left on decent money and unless he gets a good offer (ie a three year contract offer) elsewhere the best we'll do is loan him out later in the season. Whether you rate him as a player or not he's done his best for us and been part of a successful squad for a few years. He didn't pick himself and by and large he kept his head down and got on with it. Good luck to him in any case.

The question of whether he's any good has been done to death particularly when his dad was manager, whats of more interest now is which Championship managers agree with the posters on here who defended his untouchable status to the hilt. Your analysis above has been consistent and similar to mine, now we will see whether we were right.

The question of whether he's any good has been done to death particularly when his dad was manager, whats of more interest now is which Championship managers agree with the posters on here who defended his untouchable status to the hilt. Your analysis above has been consistent and similar to mine, now we will see whether we were right.

I never defended his untouchable status - just that the claim that he was carried by the rest of the team - that was complete rubbish.

Anyways, by your reasoning, you have already been proven wrong by the fact that Derby signed him and played him!!

Now time has passed, not much football last season, not many teams will be in for him.... so I cant see how you will be right? unless no teams at all want him??

ignoring the sarcasm I'd say being out of favour here and being the wrong side of 30 will mean there are better options out there for a lot of managers at this level. Much as there must be for us if we're looking to get rid.

Being out of favour here wont make one iota of difference to the supposedly many Championship managers who allegedly would have loved to have him their squad, they will just see it as an opportunity.

I could give you dozens of examples of players out of favour at one club who have gone on to better things, and equally dozens of 30+ year olds who have gone on to bigger clubs.

Sorry for the sarcasm it is after all the lowest form of wit, however I do find it amusing that those who defended his inclusion when GJ was manager now find excuses why other clubs wont want him.

I never defended his untouchable status - just that the claim that he was carried by the rest of the team - that was complete rubbish.

Anyways, by your reasoning, you have already been proven wrong by the fact that Derby signed him and played him!!

Now time has passed, not much football last season, not many teams will be in for him.... so I cant see how you will be right? unless no teams at all want him??

Riaz the raging debates that used to take place on here were only ever going to be resolved after GJ left, that would be the acid test.

Well he wasnt included in Copells' first team, Millen clearly doesn't rate him, and now we will see if any other Championship managers rate him. Derby supposedly wanted him on a long term contract but at the time we refused, well here's their chance.

If Johnson signs for another Championship club in the summer and goes on to play a reasonable number of games next season I will hold my hands up and say well fair enough, but its interesting that his supporters are now finding excuses why no other Championship team will want him.

Being out of favour here wont make one iota of difference to the supposedly many Championship managers who allegedly would have loved to have him their squad, they will just see it as an opportunity.

I could give you dozens of examples of players out of favour at one club who have gone on to better things, and equally dozens of 30+ year olds who have gone on to bigger clubs.

Sorry for the sarcasm it is after all the lowest form of wit, however I do find it amusing that those who defended his inclusion when GJ was manager now find excuses why other clubs wont want him.

The excuses tell you what these posters were really thinking all along Nick.

of course there are examples but the fact remains that Lee hasnt played a lot of football this season and is over 30. He is however proven at this level but personally if I was a manager a player would have to be exceptional for me to pay a fee when he's over 30. Lee isnt exceptional he's a decent performer over a season no more than that.

why is it funny that people change there view? Dont you ever do that? I'd say thats stranger.

Riaz the raging debates that used to take place on here were only ever going to be resolved after GJ left, that would be the acid test.

Well he wasnt included in Copells' first team, Millen clearly doesn't rate him, and now we will see if any other Championship managers rate him. Derby supposedly wanted him on a long term contract but at the time we refused, well here's their chance.

If Johnson signs for another Championship club in the summer and goes on to play a reasonable number of games next season I will hold my hands up and say well fair enough, but its interesting that his supporters are now finding excuses why no other Championship team will want him.

I actually think his wages will be too high, from what I've heard he is on - THAT is what I think will put teams off a permanant move.

As for derby - Maybe they are now happy with what they've got in that department?? Once they could'nt sign LJ, they werent exactly going to wait for him to become available. They would have signed other midfield players surely?

I'm not making excuses for him - I actually think GJ honestly thought he was better than is/was....

The main thing that makes me laugh, is that there is alot of people who wont give him credit for the play-off season - he was terrific that season. Of course, before and after that season, he has been poor to average. But the fact he was the managers son, clouded some peoples opinions of him.

But the fact he was the managers son, clouded some peoples opinions of him.

Yes, including the manager, some might say.

As for his wages being too high to attract other clubs...............the irony.

Yes, including the manager, some might say.

As for his wages being too high to attract other clubs...............the irony.

Yes he over-rated him and thus over-paid him. But Lee Johnson was'nt the only player he over-rated - Just before he left, he gave McAllister a 3 yr deal for **** sake!

personally if I was a manager a player would have to be exceptional for me to pay a fee when he's over 30.

Dont worry we wont be asking for a fee.

So a quality player available on a free, at his prime, will surely attract some managers to offer say a one year contract at minimum?

Dont worry we wont be asking for a fee.

So a quality player available on a free, at his prime, will surely attract some managers to offer say a one year contract at minimum?

I'd say his prime was 2 or 3 years ago. He's barely played this season and over 30 so I wouldnt think he's seen that way now.

If I was a manager I'd be looking for younger options who will improve not 30+ players who have barely played lately.

Someone may take a punt on him and he'd do a decent enough job. But as I said before he isnt exceptional he's just a decent performer and I'd be surprised if thats enough to tempt many managers at this level now.

I'd say his prime was 2 or 3 years ago. He's barely played this season and over 30 so I wouldnt think he's seen that way now.

If I was a manager I'd be looking for younger options who will improve not 30+ players who have barely played lately.

Someone may take a punt on him and he'd do a decent enough job. But as I said before he isnt exceptional he's just a decent performer and I'd be surprised if thats enough to tempt many managers at this level now.

Make your mind up.

Five minutes ago you were saying that nobody will pay for him because he isnt exceptional, now you're saying nobody will take him on a free because he isnt exceptional.

How about if we paid someone to take him, even though he's not exceptional?

And a PS for Riaz - no, Derby clearly would not wait around for him. However, his name will have been circulated to all clubs, including Derby, whose manager is still Nigel Clough. Surely if Nigel rated him enough to want to sign him permanently - that is what we were told anyway - then Nigel would be interested now, yet the whole point of this thread is that Nigel has chosen to go for an unknown risk from a small Scottish club rather than an experienced player who he knows and supposedly rates very highly.

Make your mind up.

Five minutes ago you were saying that nobody will pay for him because he isnt exceptional, now you're saying nobody will take him on a free because he isnt exceptional.

How about if we paid someone to take him, even though he's not exceptional?

And a PS for Riaz - no, Derby clearly would not wait around for him. However, his name will have been circulated to all clubs, including Derby, whose manager is still Nigel Clough. Surely if Nigel rated him enough to want to sign him permanently - that is what we were told anyway - then Nigel would be interested now, yet the whole point of this thread is that Nigel has chosen to go for an unknown risk from a small Scottish club rather than an experienced player who he knows and supposedly rates very highly.

I have made my mind up that your unable to discuss something sensibly if that helps.

He wont be free. He has a year left so someone will have to pay that. No player is free. Thought you'd know that.

Just to be clear as your struggling. I dont think he's played enough football recently to be at the peak of his form as you claim he is. He's over 30 has a year left on his contract and isn't exceptional at this level just decent without being outstanding. I think there are better younger players out there who will improve and thats what I'd be looking at as manager instead.

As you avoided the question I guess you've never changed your mind about anything for fear of being called silly by someone who wants everyone to notice them.

He wont be free. He has a year left so someone will have to pay that. No player is free. Thought you'd know that.

OK. He wont be free because someone else will have to pay his wages. Good point, I completely overlooked that.

So, do you think any other manager will be prepared to pay the wages that GJ thought he was worth for the next year until he is 31?

Or is the get out clause that he only played 22 games last season?

OK. He wont be free because someone else will have to pay his wages. Good point, I completely overlooked that.

So, do you think any other manager will be prepared to pay the wages that GJ thought he was worth for the next year until he is 31?

Or is the get out clause that he only played 22 games last season?

Read my other posts and you'll see what I think. Try doing that without only cutting and pasting the bits you want to. You might see it all then.

Very strange that you think its funny for people to change their opinion over a period of 18 months. You seem to struggle with people giving an opinion, listening to another opinion then changing their own opinion. Very odd.

Archived