IGNORED

Players You Have Met /seen On Your Holiday

Malcolm Christie in Magaluf and also Lee Peacock in Magaluf (who apparently went there for 4 weeks every year) quiet some time ago.

I had a friend who's son went to Magaluf with LP a couple of times, they were good mates and he was a very nice chap apparently :)

Sat at a table in a bar with Rio Ferdinand - a friend of an acquaintance who I was with.

He just sort of sat there mute, grinning throughout.

Close up, he looks even more like a cross between Morph and a camel than ever.

As for City, back in the 70s when my dad worked for the club, I met most of the players.

I still have - and keep my vinyl LPs - in a cabinet set made for dad by Brian Drysdale.

Not sure if this should be included but a couple of years ago we stayed in a small alpine village as the same time as FC Nuremburg who were doing their pre season training.

Obviously had no idea of any of the players but it was quite bizzare everywhere you went German players in track suits appeared as if out of nowhere.

Will say this without exception were all very quiet and polite.

City related I regulary see Peter Spiring who now has a electrical business near me. At Blackpool a few years ago now Peter Beardsley mowed me down whilst chasing his kids at the pleasure beach and was most apoligetic. Also saw Harry Rednapp a fair few times to the point of being on saying hello terms when he lived at Sandbanks near Poole where I lived for a while.

met the whole ajax squad a couple of days after they played us in a pre season friendly.

My mates dad (St holder) works for the people that sponser them i got to go along and meet with them and got all though autographs on a poster which hangs proudly in my room. Also met martin Jol shook his hand. He is massive.Also got to train with thier coaches it was amazing.

Also met scott murray and tony butler when i was 10

Alan shearer in Portugal back in his early Blackburn and England days. Was with wife and friends walking through old albufeira. My dad did not know who he was but then he always called our players by another name. As it happens think shearer was out for start of that season with food poisoning from some seafood he ate in Portugal. Nice chap, he realised I knew who he was and sort of give me a nod as he went by.

The night before the Champions League final in 2007, me and the missus went to the rooftop bar of the Grand Bretagne Hotel in Athens

and bumped into Bradley Orr and Phil Jevons.

Through Bradley's Grandad we then met Graham Souness, Jamie Rednapp, Andy Gray, Ruud Gullet, Richard Keys etc.

We only went up for a drink and a view of the accropolis!

Met Boaz Myhill in Malia 2003, not long after his loan spell with us - another quality keeper we had on loan that never played! Top bloke, as were all of his mates.

Simon Clist was in Portugal in 2004 with his mrs, although my mate alienated him a bit by ripping him about the pen he missed in the playoffs for Barnet I think!

A number of rather random ones:

Trevor Francis at Heathrow departures some time in the 80s;

Alan Shearer on a flight from England right after Euro 96;

Rainer Bonhof in Madrid during the Spain 82 world cup;

Kenny Dalglish with his folks over here on holiday;

Alex McLeish and his family in Jo'burg last year;

Brian Kidd, Peter Shilton, Geoff Hurst and Jackie Charlton all over here in recent years on sportsman dinner type things.

All of them nice enough to chat to.

In no particular order, some I can remember that were chance meetings and not at Dinners or Events...

Gary Mabbutt when I was on a stag do once in Bournemouth! All of us chatted with him for a short time. Didn't seem to mind half a dozen fairly drunk people talking to him. Nice guy.

Alex Ferguson at Chester Racecourse. Was happy to talk to us as he entered the Owners Enclosure. Also made a point of speaking to us when he left after his horse had raced... though wasn't so keen to refund our losing bets! I know people will have their own opinions but when I met him he seemed a nice guy and happy to talk / acknowledge us.

Robbie Savage again in Chester (same day as Sir Alex) on the dance floor of a nightclub (where else?!!). Again nothing bad to say about him. Didn't spend too long with him and couldn't really chat but he seemed OK and was quite a laugh.

Oh and to keep it City related... I was once in a three-legged race tied to Tom Richie. Years and years ago in Victoria Park!

Met Nathan Dyer on saturday walking through the Westfield centre in London. I thought I recognised him and said "Nathan" he spun round and was happy to chat for a bout 10 mins about football and the prem. Seemed genuinely happy someone recognised him. Got a photo and tried to get him to sign for us and stay in the championship. Then I tried to get a trial at swansea...

Richie Humphries on a lads holiday in Malia

Andy Sinton on holiday in Kavos.

Bryan Robson in Bristol years ago and then at a service station a few years later.

Gerry Francis (when he was manager of the Gas, mid 80's) on holiday in Menorca when I was 14/15.My mum and dad were chatting to him and his wife and my mum told me his daughter apparently fancied me and wanted to chat. I said I wont have anything to do with her because of her old man!.

Richie Humphries on a lads holiday in Malia

Andy Sinton on holiday in Kavos.

Bryan Robson in Bristol years ago and then at a service station a few years later.

Gerry Francis (when he was manager of the Gas, mid 80's) on holiday in Menorca when I was 14/15.My mum and dad were chatting to him and his wife and my mum told me his daughter apparently fancied me and wanted to chat. I said I wont have anything to do with her because of her old man!.

:laughcont: :laughcont: :laughcont: :laughcont: :rofl2br:

love the gerry francis line.

Was at Heathrow waiting for a plane to Lanzarote when my dad goes there's Alan Smith! I was 10 at the time and got really excited as it when he had just signed for United I think and I turned round to see a guy that I'd never seen before; my dad was happy cos it was the Alan Smith who used to play for Arsenal.

On the same holiday Frank Worthington stayed in our hotel. I didnt know who he was but dad explained to me and i looked him up and was fairly surprised! He was about 50ish I think but he played football with us in the courts and my oh my he was unbelievable he still had it! Except for one shot which he kicked my ball into the middle of the road it then got run over and he bought me and new one and signed it! He'd lost his memory though; couldnt seem to find his room everyday and was heard shouting for his wife every hour of the day - strange.

Stayed in a hotel the night before a Port Vale away game and we didnt know it was the hotel city were staying in!

Phillips was really ill and taking some medicine before and that obviously effected his performance cos he was crap and we lost 3-0!

I met Lee Peacock in Magaluf. I went up to him and told him he was Lee Peacock, he denied it. I told him I was sure he was and finally he agreed and autographed my beer mat. Still got it at home somewhere.

Archived