IGNORED

Michael Jacobs

eric04

Edit - He came up through there youth system playing central midfield but has mainly been used as right footed winger who likes to play on the left, he has also played a bit in a central attacking role ala Noble. GJ thinks he could go all the way to the Prem.

From Northampton OS.

Northampton Town awarded youth team midfielder Michael Jacobs a squad number after an impressive pre-season campaign ahead of the 2009/10 season. Went in to Cobblers history when he scored in front of The Kop to put Northampton Town 2-1 up at Anfield in the Carling Cup win over Liverpool in September 2010. Later that same evening he also scored one of the penalties in the Cobblers shoot out success. Despite only being a first year professional, he has already attracted the interest of the England under 21 scouts. Signed a new contract in January 2011 and won the Player of the Year award in his first full season.

Despite only being a first year professional, he has already attracted the interest of the England under 21 scouts. Signed a new contract in January 2011 and won the Player of the Year award in his first full season.

Sounds like Wiggers has been on the case!

He'd be fine to bring into the squad and develop but for our long awaited ATT midfielder we need someone of proven quality who has played in the championship,

Why? I can iunderstand the logic behind the fact that if someone had been and done it then they should be able to do it for us... but continually the opposite appears to be the case... Who would you rather have in the squad currently.... Stern John on 10K per week or Albert Adomah on £3K per week (both salaries are hypothetical)?

Fair enough, the lad from Ebbsfleet didn't cut it, but being the best player in an average (to poor last season) league 2 outfit smacks of marginally more class than a big man from non-league.

I don't see why a central midfielder with ability to set up forwards needs to have proved themselves at this level to bust in to our first team.

Plus we have to pay a big transfer fee and big wages. Show me a hungry 20 year old from league 1 or 2 anyday.

Cheers,

Nicky Hunt.

I think this would be a perfect signing for us. Young, Raw, Ambitous. Sounds a bit like Albert to me. If we sign him and KM is confident enough to put him in he could be that (midfield) link we have been missing.

Jacobs is evidently very highly rated, I would be happy if we signed him. It is a bit of a risk though seeing as he is so young, and unproven at a decent level, I dont know if we would be able to build a midfield around him for a few years?

so was albert though to be fair and look how good he turned out to be.

from what i have seen from him he has got good technique and is quite creative and can certainly score the odd screamer.

sign him up , hope it is true

Young attacking midfielder with potential? Sounds like the right sort of target. GJ link might make things easier as well if the money is right.

Exactly the sort of player that Gary would deem surplus to requirements; should be quite cheap then. ; )

beat me to it

defo Millen's best signing so far.

I have been saying similar for some considerable time now...Rose (who is decent despite rumours to the contrary), Caulker and the boy from WHU are all testiment to that, coupled with Stead, Pitman and Woolford and now Bolaise we can see we are getting a much better hit rate on good players

I have been saying similar for some considerable time now...Rose (who is decent despite rumours to the contrary), Caulker and the boy from WHU are all testiment to that, coupled with Stead, Pitman and Woolford and now Bolaise we can see we are getting a much better hit rate on good players

for which Millen deserves huge credit for.....

As with so many of the rumours I read on here and elsewhere, I have NEVER heard of him, so I don't have any anecdotes of how good he is, or can be, or his potential. NEVER. HEARD. OF. HIM.

He is class, Northampton's best player by far......

Can't see them accepting 200k though.

BCAGFC

He is class, Northampton's best player by far......

Can't see them accepting 200k though.

BCAGFC

I'll take your word for it.

I've been a football fanatic for 30 years now, but every year I never cease to be amazed on here at the players we are linked with that I have never heard of, that many others seem to know everything from shoe size to sex life

Why? I can iunderstand the logic behind the fact that if someone had been and done it then they should be able to do it for us... but continually the opposite appears to be the case... Who would you rather have in the squad currently.... Stern John on 10K per week or Albert Adomah on £3K per week (both salaries are hypothetical)?

Fair enough, the lad from Ebbsfleet didn't cut it, but being the best player in an average (to poor last season) league 2 outfit smacks of marginally more class than a big man from non-league.

I don't see why a central midfielder with ability to set up forwards needs to have proved themselves at this level to bust in to our first team.

Plus we have to pay a big transfer fee and big wages. Show me a hungry 20 year old from league 1 or 2 anyday.

Cheers,

Nicky Hunt.

For every Albert Adomah there are nine Phil Jevons (or whoever). I worry that the expectation level on Bolasie is gonna be too much due to Albi's sucsess.

Yes this Jacobs may come In and be a wonderkid - he may not. Every transfer has an element of risk and it's upto our staff to do their homework and eliminate as much chance of failure as possible. Buying someone who has performed well at Rovers level (apparently, I've never seen him so couldn't comment) over someone who has performed consistently at this level would be a risk in my eyes. This position is such an important one for the club that we cannot afford to take chances.

These types of players would cost more in wages but as someone said on the Brian Howard thread there are better option out there on frees.As I said if we can afford to bring him aswel then even better.

Of course if this rumour (which does just seem to be a re-hash of an old story) is true then I would get behind him for the length of his stay at the club, I would just be a little disappointed if this was our only signing in this department.

Archived