IGNORED

Michael Jacobs

eric04

For every Albert Adomah there are nine Phil Jevons (or whoever). I worry that the expectation level on Bolasie is gonna be too much due to Albi's sucsess.

Yes this Jacobs may come In and be a wonderkid - he may not. Every transfer has an element of risk and it's upto our staff to do their homework and eliminate as much chance of failure as possible. Buying someone who has performed well at Rovers level (apparently, I've never seen him so couldn't comment) over someone who has performed consistently at this level would be a risk in my eyes. This position is such an important one for the club that we cannot afford to take chances.

These types of players would cost more in wages but as someone said on the Brian Howard thread there are better option out there on frees.As I said if we can afford to bring him aswel then even better.

Of course if this rumour (which does just seem to be a re-hash of an old story) is true then I would get behind him for the length of his stay at the club, I would just be a little disappointed if this was our only signing in this department.

Phil Jevons did a good job for us,

JAcobs as played at England under 19 lvl I think and is highly thought of in the game, I think there were some bids for him from other clubs in jan and there is a fair bit of intrest in him now,

Having to sign expensive proven players is stupid do we need to remind you of un[proven players at this level like Albert Adomah Nicky Maynard Marvin Elliot(although he played a season at right back at millwall) and Albert Adomah

I agree, I liked Jevons. But despite being a good goalscorer he's never go on to do it at a higher level.

I don't think signing a proven player is in anyway "stupid" surely it's the complete opposite. People are already slating Woolford (some bemoaning the fact that he never beats anyone for pace! He's never had pace!), what chance would a young div 2 player have with the weight of expectation on his shoulders if he took a season to settle? Some Would be screaming "lack of ambition" from the roof tops!

I agree, I liked Jevons. But despite being a good goalscorer he's never go on to do it at a higher level.

I don't think signing a proven player is in anyway "stupid" surely it's the complete opposite. People are already slating Woolford (some bemoaning the fact that he never beats anyone for pace! He's never had pace!), what chance would a young div 2 player have with the weight of expectation on his shoulders if he took a season to settle? Some Would be screaming "lack of ambition" from the roof tops!

But Woolford is a proven Championship player?

Hunt is a proven Premier League player?

Adomah was league two.

We did far better on Adomah.

The point is where a player comes from is utterly irrelevant, it's his ability that matters. The two don't necessarily correlate so making assumptions doesn't help much.

Howard's career as an example has been going steadily downhill since he left Charlton, signing a player on that sort of ebb usually doesn't work well - better to get them on the way up?

true I'm not saying its stupid ether but you need the right blend,

Currently we have a fair bit of experance and this season some seem to be going through the motions, granted this was a coppell effect and Millens inabilty to find his strongest team for his first 10 games in charge and all our injurys (christ there are alot of reasons for our poor season),

But what I'm trying to get out with out knocking the club too much is we need the younger hungryer players in here to keep the older more experenced players on their toes or we get a McAllister situation where as (and I'm not accusing him of this as he's always gives 100%) they know they don't have to work as hard as they are a automatic pick,

Now our Midfield has been a problem since we've been promoted (lack of flair and creativity) we have plenty of hard workers (Skuse and Elliot) we have a few who keep the ball moving over 10 yards (Johnson and Campball Ryce) and we have 1 exciting winger (Adomah not counting balsie until I see him play) and we have the egnima woolford who does appears to do nothing yet gets assists, so adding Jacobs to this a young attacking midfielder who feels at home in the middle or on the left wing will only make us stronger,

But Woolford is a proven Championship player?

Hunt is a proven Premier League player?

Adomah was league two.

We did far better on Adomah.

The point is where a player comes from is utterly irrelevant, it's his ability that matters. The two don't necessarily correlate so making assumptions doesn't help much.

Howard's career as an example has been going steadily downhill since he left Charlton, signing a player on that sort of ebb usually doesn't work well - better to get them on the way up?

I agree with you about it doesnt matter where a player comes from. All I'm saying is there would be less worry of a Whittingham, Norris, Howson, mcGugan etc adapting to life in the championship. And before anyone says it I'm aware we won't be signing any of these. I'm just using them as an example of established championship players.

I agree with you about it doesnt matter where a player comes from. All I'm saying is there would be less worry of a Whittingham, Norris, Howson, mcGugan etc adapting to life in the championship. And before anyone says it I'm aware we won't be signing any of these. I'm just using them as an example of established championship players.

Is that not the problem though?

The good, established championship players are already out of our price range, the best time to get them is before they are proven, cheaper fees and cheaper wages.

Archived