IGNORED

Financial Fair Play

chipdawg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13724949.stm

Given our loses in recent times, could we be heading for trouble in a couple of years? Obviously makes the new stadium even more important

My one gripe is that UEFA's 'Financial Fair Play' is by definition FIFA's 'Financial Fair Play' and we all know what FIFA regards as a fair financial practice. Are any of these organisations really in a position to be telling us how to run a football club at the minute?

I was about to post a thread on this very subject.

Given our wages/turnover ratio was 124% in 2009/10 that is unsustainable and we'd need to cut it by more than half based on those figures to fit in I suspect. As for FIFA and UEFA? Personally I trust the latter a bit more than the former, they're run by a football man for one thing (Platini).

In today's "Sun" they show how this will affect a club such as Colchester. This year their revenue was £1,200,000. In five years time it will be just £200,000 as wealthy owners will not be allowed to put money in.

A "studio expert" on Sky Sports news last night reckons the top clubs are going out and getting in debt now securing the top players as they won't be able to when the new rules come in for them.

These rules are good to try and bring in some sort of financial sense to football.

But it is also going to handicap clubs like ours - bigger clubs will be "allowed" to give players bigger wages.

Man Utd for example will only get stronger for this - as they have the biggest income......

This is going to stifle competition IMO

These rules are good to try and bring in some sort of financial sense to football.

But it is also going to handicap clubs like ours - bigger clubs will be "allowed" to give players bigger wages.

Man Utd for example will only get stronger for this - as they have the biggest income......

isn't that against EU regulation?, oh I forgot FIFA and UEFA are above the law

More Arsenal than Man U - don't forget Man U have a rather huge debt still.

In fairness it seemed that way in France, with Lyon winning year on year due to their champions league revenue. No one seems to dominate now, so I don't know if that rule was changed.

This is another step toward a closed shop, but hopefully act as a curb on player power, although the system will be fiddled in the same way it was in rugby.

In fairness it seemed that way in France, with Lyon winning year on year due to their champions league revenue. No one seems to dominate now, so I don't know if that rule was changed.

This is another step toward a closed shop, but hopefully act as a curb on player power, although the system will be fiddled in the same way it was in rugby.

True enough, this is the big danger. If you look at the European Cup now, diversity of teams who win it or even progress deep into it compared with the past- well, it's markedly less open. In many ways, big money has killed the game on a domestic and European level IMO. Ajax win a European Cup? No chance- thanks in no small part to having to sell all their best players and Bosman. A French side win it? Again, slim to none, though Deschamps and Blanc have done well with less heralded French clubs in CL in last few years. Scottish, Belgian, Czech, Eastern European and other sides progressing to the quarters and beyond? Again not much chance.

On the other hand, football finances are quite insane- as ever it's a major and unfortunate catch 22.

A real solution might be a European wide wage cap. £10k per week at most, but that is wholly utopian and won't ever happen.The second part of that could be 5 home grown- by which I mean actually home grown, academy based as opposed to purchased from fellow clubs or the perverse situation whereby Fabregas for example counts as homegrown despite being Spanish.While I'm at it, the third part could be top 2 only in the CL- top 2 at most, while scrapping seedings. Hell maybe even scrap the group stage too- away with the fairies at this point if I ever think it has a cat in hells chance of happening, but this would really level things up right across Europe I think.

Which is why Abramovich is in favour. But at our level those clubs with parachute payments will have an even bigger advantage. Imo those payments should be excluded from any calculation as they are a handout not earned income, with the PL acting as a sugar daddy.

This is going to be a huge summer for the bigger sides in the Prem. This could see all of them spending big to try and grab the champions league spots for the financial reward. Unfortunately for them 6 into 4 slots doesnt go. Two will miss out, where do they go from there?

They have to all finish in the top 4, whoever misses out will be at such a huge disadvantage financially that they may never get back into it. Arsenal look to be in serious trouble because of Wenger reluctance to fix his sides shortcomings. Liverpool are showing already that they mean business, Chelsea will spend big again and so will Man City.

Shit or bust for the bigger sides.

This is going to be a huge summer for the bigger sides in the Prem. This could see all of them spending big to try and grab the champions league spots for the financial reward. Unfortunately for them 6 into 4 slots doesnt go. Two will miss out, where do they go from there?

They have to all finish in the top 4, whoever misses out will be at such a huge disadvantage financially that they may never get back into it. Arsenal look to be in serious trouble because of Wenger reluctance to fix his sides shortcomings. Liverpool are showing already that they mean business, Chelsea will spend big again and so will Man City.

Shit or bust for the bigger sides.

But Arsenal are in a healthy financial position unlike their rivals so are better placed to adapt. The big spending clubs actually lobbied Platini to bring in the rules to save them from themselves though. Note also how they are signing young English players in preparation for FIFA imposing a 6 home grown players in the starting 11 rule. Interesting times and I don't think anybody reallt knows how it will all impact.

But Arsenal are in a healthy financial position unlike their rivals so are better placed to adapt. The big spending clubs actually lobbied Platini to bring in the rules to save them from themselves though. Note also how they are signing young English players in preparation for FIFA imposing a 6 home grown players in the starting 11 rule. Interesting times and I don't think anybody reallt knows how it will all impact.

Your right about Arsenal being in a healthy position financially, I heard an Arsenal fan on the radio today say the cheapest Season ticket is nearly a £1000. That is scandalous, imagine if the salary cap was in place and clubs could "only" pay a max of £40,000 a week (yes only) they could charge a fraction of those prices.

I am very disillusioned with football right now, so much so I'm not renewing my season ticket. The wages for players are completely ridiculous and I can't bring myself to contribute towards their life of luxury for just kicking a football about for 90 mins. Sad as it is after going since the late 70's as a 5 year old kid, the game just isn't affordable for me.

Your right about Arsenal being in a healthy position financially, I heard an Arsenal fan on the radio today say the cheapest Season ticket is nearly a £1000. That is scandalous, imagine if the salary cap was in place and clubs could "only" pay a max of £40,000 a week (yes only) they could charge a fraction of those prices.

I am very disillusioned with football right now, so much so I'm not renewing my season ticket. The wages for players are completely ridiculous and I can't bring myself to contribute towards their life of luxury for just kicking a football about for 90 mins. Sad as it is after going since the late 70's as a 5 year old kid, the game just isn't affordable for me.

Indeed, that is the cynical side of Arsenal that rarely gets mentioned. I sympathise with your disillusionment. In these difficult times football and footballers are as greedy as ever. But then again so are bankers, politicians, utility and oil companies and so on. It is probably us who are out of step with the culture.:disapointed2se:

Archived