IGNORED

Wingers + Creative Mid

stroudy

I've been thinking about this for a while now and thought I'd pose the question on here. We all assume we are looking at a creative midfield player still, however what if Keith has thought to himself that he would go with Marv and Cisse in midfield with Yannick and Albert on the wings.

If they could both get 10 assists each and Marv another healthy return of goals plus goals from both wingers would this be enough creativity without the need for spending big bucks.

I would love to see a creative creatvie centre mid, but think that this could maybe work?

I am very undecided on it though. Swansea pretty much managed to get promoted without a recognised creative centre midfield player so could we do it also?

I've been thinking about this for a while now and thought I'd pose the question on here. We all assume we are looking at a creative midfield player still, however what if Keith has thought to himself that he would go with Marv and Cisse in midfield with Yannick and Albert on the wings.

If they could both get 10 assists each and Marv another healthy return of goals plus goals from both wingers would this be enough creativity without the need for spending big bucks.

I would love to see a creative creatvie centre mid, but think that this could maybe work?

I am very undecided on it though. Swansea pretty much managed to get promoted without a recognised creative centre midfield player so could we do it also?

They had Leon Britton whos 1 of the best creative midfielders in the leauge.

They had Leon Britton whos 1 of the best creative midfielders in the leauge.

Contrary to popular belief Britton plays more of a defensive than offensive position. He is normally the player who makes himself avaliable for a pass to be received. I have had this debate with some friends who follow Swansea home and away and they assure me that this is the case.

I agree, we need energy and graft in the centre if we are to play with two out and out wingers. A player of Marv or Cisse's ability who is also 'creative' is a rare commodity and likely to cost a fortune. I would be happy to see Marv and Cisse stay as our midfield engine. That said, I've a feeling Cisse will be shipped on.

No squad would be balanced with just two midfielders - Cisse and Elliot are both a tad injury prone and it would be criminal for Millen not to strengthen in the middle.

Having two wingers is all very well but useless if the ball doesn't get out to them often enough. Last season's TV game at Norwich was a perfect example of that.

No two ways about it City need a creative midfielder.

Contrary to popular belief Britton plays more of a defensive than offensive position. He is normally the player who makes himself avaliable for a pass to be received. I have had this debate with some friends who follow Swansea home and away and they assure me that this is the case.

Britton does play a more defensive role, but Swansea played the vast majority of the season with Dobbie playing in the advanced creative midfield role in a 4-2-3-1. However all of Swansea's CM's (Allen, Dobbie, Britton and Pratley) are better ball players than any of our CM's.

In fact I wouldn't mind us adopting a 4-2-3-1 as it's the only way we'll be successful starting Cisse and Marv together, with a new creative midfielder who can actually pick a pass. However the proplem with playing 1 up front is it negatives our greatest strength... our strikers! Therefore we'll predominantly go 4-4-2, and IMO for us to hit top 6 I think we need someone with significantly more quality in the middle of the park.... as in response to OP you can't survive on assists from wingers alone with nothing coming from CM's (and fullbacks - another problem area)!

Hmm interesting, maybe hes more of a box to box type then?

No squad would be balanced with just two midfielders - Cisse and Elliot are both a tad injury prone and it would be criminal for Millen not to strengthen in the middle.

Having two wingers is all very well but useless if the ball doesn't get out to them often enough. Last season's TV game at Norwich was a perfect example of that.

No two ways about it City need a creative midfielder.

didn't he play every game this year?

didn't he play every game this year?

That's just fact based nonsense!

Having read this thread the answer is simple - we need a box to box, tough tackling, goalscoring, creative leader in our midfield. Patrick Vierra/Glenn Hoddle hybrids are two a penny! Come on Keith pull your finger out!!!!!

Hmm interesting, maybe hes more of a box to box type then?

The nearest thing in our squad to describe him to is Lee Johnson, If you remember the game at AG last season where Britton ran the show he sat in front of the midfield and picked up the ball from the defence and moved it forward and wide with simple short passing. He's obviously a little bit better than LJ, before that argument comes up....

On the OP comparison between our midfield and Swansea's is,Swansea's midfield are all much more capable on the ball than ours. I don't think anyone could argue that both Cissé and Elliot are better off the ball than when in possession, With Britton, Allen and to a lesser extent Pratley it is the opposite.

I think we need a ball playing midfielder in the squad. A lot of negativity was given to GJ for his "club in the bag remarks" but we need to add that dimension to our squad so that we have other options.

The two defensive midfielders tactic did do us well however in the middle section of the season when we went on that fantastic run of wins.

The nearest thing in our squad to describe him to is Lee Johnson, If you remember the game at AG last season where Britton ran the show he sat in front of the midfield and picked up the ball from the defence and moved it forward and wide with simple short passing. He's obviously a little bit better than LJ, before that argument comes up....

On the OP comparison between our midfield and Swansea's is,Swansea's midfield are all much more capable on the ball than ours. I don't think anyone could argue that both Cissé and Elliot are better off the ball than when in possession, With Britton, Allen and to a lesser extent Pratley it is the opposite.

I think we need a ball playing midfielder in the squad. A lot of negativity was given to GJ for his "club in the bag remarks" but we need to add that dimension to our squad so that we have other options.

The two defensive midfielders tactic did do us well however in the middle section of the season when we went on that fantastic run of wins.

Wasn't really comparing the midfield, just explaining that they played more with wingers creating than a recognised creative player in the middle, and would we like to adopt that system.

Wasn't really comparing the midfield, just explaining that they played more with wingers creating than a recognised creative player in the middle, and would we like to adopt that system.

They play with one up top and three ball playing midfielders who move about (similar to United when Ronaldo was their and Barca, but obviously a little less quality) don't they? and the "wingers" are slightly more central and go for goal more than crossing the ball. I just don't think we have anywhere near the players to play their system right now.

I think Millen has been limited by the players he has in terms of the system he plays, If he had more options we might see a bit more variety in tactics. I also think that we need a good passer who can feed the wingers and allow them to create, which I suppose is similar to Swansea's tactics. Lee Johnson with a bit more fight and a few more goals (Where the hell we'll find him though, is anyone's guess)

Ive thought before maybe we could get away without a playmaker in the middle if we had two top class wingers who could provide assists

however, until we get one we will never be able to control possesion or dictate tempo

IMO we def need one and it should be our number 1 priority. Fully agree with the consensus that a reasonably hard working, box to box playmaker who scores goals is hard to find though

i would be happy for us to direct the majority of any transfer dosh we do have here, and try and bargain hunt a bit more on the defensive additions Millen clearly also wants

:fingerscrossed:

To be fair I also think a big difference with Swansea is the fact they have 2 very good attacking full backs. I think it does go to show though that we may all crave a creative cm we don't nessecarily need one!

To be fair I also think a big difference with Swansea is the fact they have 2 very good attacking full backs. I think it does go to show though that we may all crave a creative cm we don't nessecarily need one!

Agreed. Leon Britton's game for instance is all about short passing, keeping possession and rotating the play. You can go far with that kind of game if you have players with intelligent movement. There are few old fashioned playmakers in the game now; even Argentina got rid of Riquelme and they invented the role. It's not all about 50 yard cross field passes but, as I say, passing and moving.

Stroudy. i agree he did play a deeper lying roll but he dictates the pace of the game.Similar to what LJ done for us in league 1 but he couldn't do it in the championship

To be honest I think darren pratley is a better player than britton and is more of a creative midfielder. Back to the topic though, I think its risky playing marv and cisse together because their passing is woeful so they would struggle to get the ball out to albert and Yannick which is crucial because they can get the ball foward at a quick pace which is what we want, so without a creative midfielder we would struggle IMO.

To be honest I think darren pratley is a better player than britton and is more of a creative midfielder. Back to the topic though, I think its risky playing marv and cisse together because their passing is woeful so they would struggle to get the ball out to albert and Yannick which is crucial because they can get the ball foward at a quick pace which is what we want, so without a creative midfielder we would struggle IMO.

Skuse anyone? Not the best but he can actually pass.. which helps. :tumbleweed:

Skuse should be the answer to all our midfield problems - except he only produced the goods on a couple of occasions last season.

Yeah I agree with you about last season however as we saw in 09/10 he is a very good player. If he gets into his stride next season I believe he will be a key part of our campaign.

Archived