IGNORED

Opening Day Fixtures Competition

Real Red

The club have alreade got copies of the fixtures and all the top bods at the club know what the opening day fixtures are

No they haven't. They are given to the club at 9am, released at 10am.

Are you really that naive to think that the club wouldn't give them the one's over because of a conflict of interest somewhere,so i also assume that the police dont look at them before hand aswell then.......

Certain people at the club would have had a provisional copy of the fixtures last week. Then they discuss any concerns etc with the police, and request any amendments before they are released officially on Friday morning.

Certain people at the club would have had a provisional copy of the fixtures last week. Then they discuss any concerns etc with the police, and request any amendments before they are released officially on Friday morning.

If that really is the case , why on earth did we play Milwall first up? Surely if clubs could veto a fixture , that would have been a certainty.

So don't the police know either?.

I once read an article in four four two, with an interview with the guy who oversees the fixtures processing. Requests from police, club etc. (from what i can remember) are inputted into the complex formulas before the fixtures are processed.

No. They Don't, police discussions happen AFTERWARDS

I once read an article in four four two, with an interview with the guy who oversees the fixtures processing. Requests from police, club etc. (from what i can remember) are inputted into the complex formulas before the fixtures are processed.

Indeed their are Certain requests that clubs and police can make, but they aren't always accepted due to the amount of planning that goes into it, the time scale from the final play-off game to fixtures release is VERY short period of time and gets released publically almost as soon as they are ready.

The Police get ZERO advance warning and the first the clubs/police/sky see of the fixture are on the day of the fixtures release, hence usually a few days afterwards you will see some match day/times change at request of police, such as Derby games or Welsh ties.

I'd say, that there is a VERY strong chance that they are not even fully finished yet, let along passed out to clubs

Clubs can ask for a change in a fixture once they get site of the list, but they can't veto it - and they'll be lucky to have it agreed given the complexity of working out the fixtures for every team.

What I'm asking is , if the club and the police feel this is a high risk game to have on the opening day , could they not have requested a change? Maybe swap a fixture from later in the season , for example we played Reading on a tuesday night , from a Police point of view it may have been better to play Milwall in midweek rather than first game up after they had just earned promotion. They were always going to sell their allocation and we all know what happened after the game.

Just interested to know if clubs and police can request certain fixtures are avoided on opening day.

Why is everyone guessing/hoping for an away fixture? surely the Balloon fiesta being on the 14th pretty much ensures that we will at home on the 7th?

I've always preffered a not so good game first and last, as it then turns them into decent fixtures.

For instance, WHU home or away is best placed in the middle of the season when it will be "big" anyway, as opposed to someone like Barnsley or Doncaster at home on opening day. That would be my preference.

:englandsmile4wf:

I don't understand people saying our Millwall home fixture at the start of last season should've been moved. Millwall have got to play someone first game and there are several more high risk games for Millwall than us (Cardiff, Forest, Leeds - and this season WHU + Brum).

As for the original question, I reckon Blackpool home. We've often started with them.

I don't understand people saying our Millwall home fixture at the start of last season should've been moved. Millwall have got to play someone first game and there are several more high risk games for Millwall than us (Cardiff, Forest, Leeds - and this season WHU + Brum).

As for the original question, I reckon Blackpool home. We've often started with them.

Of course they have to play someone. But Milwall at home to Barnsley or away to Doncaster is going to have a much lower risk element.

If the FA computer pulls out Milwall V any of the teams you have mentioned above , the old bill would be mad to let it go ahead if there is a chance of a fixture switch , which someone alluded to earlier in the post.

This was it ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...re_compute.html

Very interesting.

What I don't understand is how they can't ensure that holiday fixtures don't involve too much travel. They got it right for us last year (Cardiff, Reading and Palace) but there is always a fixture like Arsenal v Sunderland with a noon kick off on New years Day. Surely if they choose these games first plus the first and last fixtures then the rest just fill in.

Peterborough at Home.

I'm hoping most of the big away games and the grounds I haven't been to aren't in school holiday times, cheaper to travel.

A few years ago it seemed every game I wanted to go to was either August, Christmas or Easter, annoying.

Archived