IGNORED

Keith's Interview On Player

GrahamC

Interesting, but perhaps understandably short on revelations.

What it appeared to say was that no deals are imminent but that he will be concentrating on bringing in defenders and that with Caulker not an option and other targets unsurprisingly having chosen to join Prem clubs instead, he is working his way down his list.

Maybe it was me but I got the strong sense that we might well expect new arrivals to be more in the mould of Albert, lower league, young and promising rather than any more experienced Championship names now.

He seemed convinced that Carey would be staying and seemed not to see any issue with his contract offer as per Sexstone's comments, though said he hadn't caught up with Louis "for a few weeks".

When asked about Ryan Taylor he didn't exactly rule it out but simply confirmed his priority was the defence.

Perhaps the biggest news was the seeming acceptance that Stephen Henderson would be off, no club was mentioned but plenty was said about seeing himself as a first choice somewhere now and that we'd go to a tribunal if a fee couldn't be agreed.

Interesting, but perhaps understandably short on revelations.

What it appeared to say was that no deals are imminent but that he will be concentrating on bringing in defenders and that with Caulker not an option and other targets unsurprisingly having chosen to join Prem clubs instead, he is working his way down his list.

Maybe it was me but I got the strong sense that we might well expect new arrivals to be more in the mould of Albert, lower league, young and promising rather than any more experienced Championship names now.

He seemed convinced that Carey would be staying and seemed not to see any issue with his contract offer as per Sexstone's comments, though said he hadn't caught up with Louis "for a few weeks".

When asked about Ryan Taylor he didn't exactly rule it out but simply confirmed his priority was the defence.

Perhaps the biggest news was the seeming acceptance that Stephen Henderson would be off, no club was mentioned but plenty was said about seeing himself as a first choice somewhere now and that we'd go to a tribunal if a fee couldn't be agreed.

He also mentioned Carey's fitness because of his fractured skull last season. I got the impression that not all is well regarding that injury.

He also mentioned Carey's fitness because of his fractured skull last season. I got the impression that not all is well regarding that injury.

That's very much the impression Colin gave. If there is the slightest risk he should retire at once.

Regarding the part of the interview relating to Henderson, it's a shame we appear to be losing him, but one can't blame the player. I feel some sympathy for him, as I previously did for Weale over the Basso fiasco.

Both keepers deserved to have played more games than they did, though I accept that keeping goalies happy is always a problem for managers, given that consistency of selection is important for a sound defence and opportunities to play due to injury occur far less frequently than with outfield players.

It's especially frustrating in view of James' age and the fact that he will presumably not continue as first choice keeper for that much longer. That'll be two good keepers we'll have lost in a relatively short space of time, where the first choice players they couldn't displace won't have been around long after their respective understudies' departures. It's a difficult one, but you do wonder sometimes if the approach to the management of this issue needs a bit of a rethink.

i also agree that the GK situation needs to be looked at.

obviously DJ is a quality keeper but will have 1 season left (probably) and yes i also agree that his experience and knowledge that he is passing on is also great. however he more than likley takes up a decent chunk of the wage bill and seeing as we are investing in younger players it would make sense to keep hendo and make him no 1 or at least part of the season beacuse even though he would he would maybe concede a few more than DJ surely that is all experience and as hendo is idealy the future no 1 it would make sense in the long run.

As yet James has not signed the deal. I understand that he has to sign it by the 16th or it's City's choice to renew or not. I'm not totally convinced that this is a done deal yet.

Also while I recognise the fact we need some strengthening at the back ( especially a LB) i feel the creative midfielder position is the most urgent area that needs addressing. I hope we are not putting this position on the back burner.

As yet James has not signed the deal. I understand that he has to sign it by the 16th or it's City's choice to renew or not. I'm not totally convinced that this is a done deal yet.

Also while I recognise the fact we need some strengthening at the back ( especially a LB) i feel the creative midfielder position is the most urgent area that needs addressing. I hope we are not putting this position on the back burner.

I think there is a clause in his contract that if he played a set number of games (30) he gets an automatic 1 year exstention and nothing actually has to be signed that was my understanding of it, he just has to pop in and confirm he is happy or whatever,

Hendeson always performed well when called on but to be he always looks to be carrying a bit of weight if he moves on we'll get compo anyway if he stays he will be number one when james retires he holds the cards tbh and it depends on how much we're and other clubs are offering

I would say that LB and CB should be our main priorities. Yes, a creative CM would be very useful, but those players, if any good, are at a premium and often not available for transfer, whilst we do have the option of JCR and MW who could be looked at as possibles to fill that gap, should there not be any players available that fall within our new budgets.

Monkeh, I'm sure I read somewhere that he has to sign for the extra year by a certain time. I will look it up when I get home.

As I said a LB and a CM are the most important. We've not had a real creative goalscoring midfielder since Tins. Yes they don't come cheap but there are a few a avalible on frees this summer

Monkeh, I'm sure I read somewhere that he has to sign for the extra year by a certain time. I will look it up when I get home.

As I said a LB and a CM are the most important. We've not had a real creative goalscoring midfielder since Tins. Yes they don't come cheap but there are a few a avalible on frees this summer

I read that from Sexton and took as he just has to pop in by the 16th to make sure he's happy with it

Archived