IGNORED

Capello

jimtastic

The manager is good, the players are mainly average. England reaching the quarter finals of major competitions is about par for the course. We have a few great players in Rooney and Gerrard and Ashley Cole the rest are Sky Sports Superstars only.

I don't think Capello is a bad manager, but I don't think he's got the ability to manage against teams that are becoming increasingly focused on technical brilliance as opposed to being structurally sound from back to front. Capello is a manager without flair and he belongs in Italy. He doesn't have new ideas about football and he doesn't have modern ideas either. He is not the right manager for England, and he belongs in club management where he can simply by the players to participate in his awful brand of football, instead of trying to retro-fit them to his ugly tactics. I would happily dispose of him, but it's just like England to pretend they have got something precious when they haven't. I guess that's why they gave him a wonderful new contract before the World Cup - you know, the World Cup they wanted to sack him after. I guess the, erm, excellent qualifying campaign for the Euros has improved his value. Or maybe they're simply trying to make out that it was all some kind of genius plan.

You know how a bad workman always blames his tools? In this case it's justified.

Exactly, all you have to do is look down at some of the replies to see exactly the attitude that was mentioned in the u-21 thread.

I swear some people are just plain mental, he's failed to get the best out of the cream of English talent ? There is no ******* talent and that's the bloody problem.

We have 2 good players and one with bags of potential and a decent keeper, well whoopee ******* doo.

As for capello not having the managerial ability to cope with playing against sides with an iota of technical ability, well he does as he's proven countless times at club level, sadly the England side are incapable of even playing shit football to a half decent standard.

It doesn't look as if it's going to get any better either as we have players who are premiershit regulars and traded for tens of millions of pounds being schooled by the mighty Czech under 21 side, these are players who are apparently above average (for English players) in the prem, yet they managed to be technically inferior to the likes of Ukraine and the Czech republic, who of course are footballing powerhouses.

Until the morons who can only take in what they are told by sky about the Premier League being so great get it through their thick skulls that the majority of English players are completely devoid of any technical ability then we will get nowhere.

As the saying goes "you can't polish a turd" yet people expect this of capello.

The only manager i could see getting results with England with our present squad of players is Harry Redknapp. They would have to play to a 'Traditional' English fast style of play.

Unfortunately, all these managers of recent years, have tried to play Football in a Continental style with players that don't have the ability.

I think we have a massive transitional period ahead of us...Young lads that have been playing under the likes of Wenger and such, need to be our future.

Exactly, all you have to do is look down at some of the replies to see exactly the attitude that was mentioned in the u-21 thread.

I swear some people are just plain mental, he's failed to get the best out of the cream of English talent ? There is no ******* talent and that's the bloody problem.

We have 2 good players and one with bags of potential and a decent keeper, well whoopee ******* doo.

As for capello not having the managerial ability to cope with playing against sides with an iota of technical ability, well he does as he's proven countless times at club level, sadly the England side are incapable of even playing shit football to a half decent standard.

It doesn't look as if it's going to get any better either as we have players who are premiershit regulars and traded for tens of millions of pounds being schooled by the mighty Czech under 21 side, these are players who are apparently above average (for English players) in the prem, yet they managed to be technically inferior to the likes of Ukraine and the Czech republic, who of course are footballing powerhouses.

Until the morons who can only take in what they are told by sky about the Premier League being so great get it through their thick skulls that the majority of English players are completely devoid of any technical ability then we will get nowhere.

Gotta agree with a lot of that.

I would be great to 'prove' somhow that the influx of foreign stars has a detrimental effect on England producing talent. Not sure how we would do that. Or prove otherwise.

There is an argument that insists playing with the best players makes you better. For thats gotta be pretty marginal, Either you have it or you don't, I'm not sure stepping into the ring with Tyson would make me a better boxer, I'd still get beaten to shit.

Also they are not playing with the "top" players, they are sat on the bench at ManU, Arse, Chelsea, etc..

You can only grow as a player with experience, its so painfully obvious it hurts that the Fa fail to see it, or that they can even do anything about it!

English football sold its soul years ago, there is no going back without completely destroying what we have so we gotta get on with it.

Its not the players that make the English game that is admired and loveed the world over, its the passion, the history, the Stadiums, and, would you believe it, the fans, yes US the fans.

You'll find in places like Malaysia that what they enjoy a lot is the passion of the fans, its weird for them, the Chinese are so dam reserved and showing passion or any emotions is kinda alian for them, they get off on the Energy of English football. I know, i've seen it.

So the FA would do well to listen to fans, listen carefully, don't price us out, don't sell our heritage to China just get, (:laugh: greece) Grow some balls and stick up for yourself

Absolutely bang on there.

The Sky Sports League is strong because of the foreign players who are here because they pay the best money. Take the foreign players out and what you have left is the same standard of player you see in the championship bar a few. You're right about the U21s, again the disbelief in the media of how our boys didn't go all the way is frankly laughable, Jordan Henderson costing £20m and he looked a pub player in all matches he played.

You can have as much pride as you want. If you haven't got the skills required to win, then pride doesn't come into it. TBH...every player wants to win for England. They may not do it for National pride, but for personal gain. If you play well for England, then your value goes up and the rewards keep coming.

The only manager i could see getting results with England with our present squad of players is Harry Redknapp. They would have to play to a 'Traditional' English fast style of play.

Unfortunately, all these managers of recent years, have tried to play Football in a Continental style with players that don't have the ability.

I think we have a massive transitional period ahead of us...Young lads that have been playing under the likes of Wenger and such, need to be our future.

Indeed. Personally I couldn't blame Fabio for leaving, however I doubt he will, he'll have plenty of offers next summer after the Euro's.

Personally don't blame him for our failure and look solely at the players he has to select from, majority of whom are either not good enough or too big for their boots.

Redknapp will replace him without a doubt. Only man out their who has the ability to do the job, the backing of majority of fans and ACTUALLY wants the job.

Indeed. Personally I couldn't blame Fabio for leaving, however I doubt he will, he'll have plenty of offers next summer after the Euro's.

Personally don't blame him for our failure and look solely at the players he has to select from, majority of whom are either not good enough or too big for their boots.

Redknapp will replace him without a doubt. Only man out their who has the ability to do the job, the backing of majority of fans and ACTUALLY wants the job.

Agree with pretty much everything, but he has to take his turn in the barrel over some of his selections, tactics, performances. I find it strange that in virtually every case the manager/coach carries the can for woeful results and performances and yet with others the players are too blame, I really don't see a difference, basically something is very wrong with the whole set up, once more.

They are welcome to him.

tactics poor, failed at learning the lanuage, he can fall in line with the other managers classed as a failure and who struggled to get the best out of the cream of English talent.

The 'cream of English talent' as you call it- pretty overrated in the main. Apart from a few, golden generation? Dopn't make me laugh! However, Capello has definitely failed in key areas, such as the language issues, his blind faith in 4-4-2 etc.

I don't think Capello is a bad manager, but I don't think he's got the ability to manage against teams that are becoming increasingly focused on technical brilliance as opposed to being structurally sound from back to front. Capello is a manager without flair and he belongs in Italy. He doesn't have new ideas about football and he doesn't have modern ideas either. He is not the right manager for England, and he belongs in club management where he can simply by the players to participate in his awful brand of football, instead of trying to retro-fit them to his ugly tactics. I would happily dispose of him, but it's just like England to pretend they have got something precious when they haven't. I guess that's why they gave him a wonderful new contract before the World Cup - you know, the World Cup they wanted to sack him after. I guess the, erm, excellent qualifying campaign for the Euros has improved his value. Or maybe they're simply trying to make out that it was all some kind of genius plan.

This is IMO a stupidly outdated stereotype asbout Italian football/managers. It's as outdated as saying English managers are tactically inept.

Do the likes of Lippi, Spaletti, Ancelotti, Del Neiri (well when at Sampdoria anyway), Prandelli- first at Fiorentina and now with Italy and the current Udinese and Napoli coaches (whose names escape me), focus on limited football? Belongs in Italy is silly because there are plenty of attack minded Italian coaches out there.

Agree with much of this, but even then quick football? In hot, sunny conditions where a Continental style focusing on passing and ball retention is necessary lest you get worn out after an hour chasing the ball in that heat...

Suppose another way to look at the England team is the mystery of how the Premier League (the fastest league in the world) gives us our players and yet when they play together we look like one of the slowest teams in the world.

This England team don't have the ability of the likes of Brazil but something is seriously wrong with the coaching if they can't be made to find their own space, play neat one-two's towards goal or control the midfield.

Suppose another way to look at the England team is the mystery of how the Premier League (the fastest league in the world) gives us our players and yet when they play together we look like one of the slowest teams in the world.

This England team don't have the ability of the likes of Brazil but something is seriously wrong with the coaching if they can't be made to find their own space, play neat one-two's towards goal or control the midfield.

That's an interesting angle. I suppose different types of football play a part- like I said above, in a hot nation (think most Euros and WCs) playing at the frenetic pace of PL will propbably wear them out. More generally, hard one to call- I guess as I say different types of football- Premier League a lot of teams turn over possession rapidly and with great frequency. Do it vs Brazil, Spain, Portugal, Argentina and perhaps half a dozen other teams and you won't see it for a while. Style of football adjusted accordingly. Out and out wingers? How many top International (or club) sides play with that these days- none. Yet in the not too distant past, you wouold still have heard calls for 'out and out wingers.' We just seem to be missing something really.

If it is the players and not the manager who are not good enough why is it that Alex Ferguson , Jose Mourinho, Rafa Benitez etc all been able to bring the best out of the English players available to them, but when they put a England shirt on, on a world stage they fail.

I don't doubt Capello's credentials as top club manager, he has a impressive CV, but as I said in my previous comment, he (along with many other managers) has failed to deliver to get the best out of this England Squad, even if the players are not world class I believe a Alex or Jose would be able to get these squads to compete with worlds best, there talents as managers get the best out of limited players (Man Utd 3 Champ finals with Wes Brown, John O'Shea just to name two). Capello has just not been good enough, which I think is a shame, it's a shame our media are continently on the witch hunt to set them up to fail. How is it smaller nations with less of a pool of players & talent out preform England on the world stage on a regular basis?

There are many factors to why England are the way they are, this is down to the money grabbing FA, the press & Media that hound the players & managers, The Premier League and the fans.

Until the FA stop putting money (stupid fixture which don't benefit the players only the FA's pockets, ridiculous wages for managers) over the national team, work with the Premier League & managers to get the right set up for the international calender & squad selection, get them working as a cohesive unit.

Currently the fans are in dissonant with England, many have lost faith, lost interest or just blane given up, which is understandable, again the media & fa need to help restore the fans faith, I would love nothing more for England to win a major tournament. I remember the buzz round the country when England won the Rugby World Cup and the Ashes in 2005, Imagine the vibe in the country if the was the national football team, it would be epic!

The difference is that all these Club teams have a mix of English and Foreign players and they train together everyday.

The England manager has to work with only English players, with a limited amount of time training with them.

Foreign players are technically better at football than English players. They are naturally comfortable on the ball. These things come to the fore under pressure and when tactics are not ingrained.

You could pretty much guarantee that most Club sides that are top of their Leagues, would beat their National Counterparts. Man Utd would beat England imho. And Barcelona would beat Spain.

Take away the top 6 teams in the Prem and we are left with a pretty average league. The same can be said of the rest of the English leagues.

I wish we still played Tournaments like the Anglo-Italian Cup. I think it would be a real eye opener, as to how poor we are.

Archived