IGNORED

Millen. Out Of Gj Shadow.

lou-peters-dive

Millie is the man in charge now. Taken loads of stick now he looks as if he is stamping his authority, his team on BCFC. He,s put in a lot of hard work to improve the team (not finished yet) The way the club is progressing on and off the pitch makes me really excited for the future i.e. training ground, probable new stadium, fans have now got cause for genuine optimism. Steve Lansdown is backing him and now we must too. I have seen lots of managers come and go over the years and I mean pre Alan Dicks (Fred Ford). AD gave the club stability and developed his team without spending loads of money and I think that Millie is doing similar to AD's way. I really hope he brings us the success we and he deserves.

We are now an established Championship club and are commanding alot of respect. Other clubs fans can say what they like but if they are honest they would admit that we are now up with the best of them. If we all stick together I think we can take that next step up. It isn't going to be easy but KM is giving us that chance.

Millie is the man in charge now. Taken loads of stick now he looks as if he is stamping his authority, his team on BCFC. He,s put in a lot of hard work to improve the team (not finished yet) The way the club is progressing on and off the pitch makes me really excited for the future i.e. training ground, probable new stadium, fans have now got cause for genuine optimism. Steve Lansdown is backing him and now we must too. I have seen lots of managers come and go over the years and I mean pre Alan Dicks (Fred Ford). AD gave the club stability and developed his team without spending loads of money and I think that Millie is doing similar to AD's way. I really hope he brings us the success we and he deserves.

We are now an established Championship club and are commanding alot of respect. Other clubs fans can say what they like but if they are honest they would admit that we are now up with the best of them. If we all stick together I think we can take that next step up. It isn't going to be easy but KM is giving us that chance.

I don't post on here very often but read the daily posts.

I have got to say that the above post is great. We all have our opinions in football and it would not be the same game if we all saw it the same way.

As a club we have all got to pull in the right direction and given time Millen will go on to be a great manager for the club. Look at the most successful managers they were all given time!

I know that he is held in high regard by the FA after he completed his Pro licence he has not got his back room staff (some old City players with others about to come back as well). Let all just get behind him and hope to a good season.

do have to say was a little worried when keef took over not an ideal situation from the coppout experience been a liitle worried at the lack of new signings but today hope it really works for him not many new ones in but think they are good thought kilkenny was certainly destained for hull just goes to show starting to get excited for next season c'mon you redsssssssssss

Given time and support Millen could be the man to build BCFC again.

I really would be happy if he was given the next 5 years to completely change the club to his own vision. I think he has the long term development of the club at heart and that is a massive bonus in a sport that consistently disregards the future and concentrates on getting results immediately. Millen is the sort of visionary the nation needs, People like him Trevor Brooking and (Although he is a complete tool and we've had this discussion recently) Glenn Hoddle are the minds we need to change the focus from finance and immediate success to a long term goal of sustainable success across the board.

Perhaps I'm placing far too much trust and confidence in Old Keef, but I think he has it in him to be a top, top gaffer.

This is a huge season for Keef. I'm still to be convinced. That's not a put down, just a reflection of the fact he is only just starting to build his own squad. I'm behind him 110% and hope he can improve on last season. Kilkenny is a decent start, but we're still a long way away from having a squad capable of even maintaining some end of season interest let alone genuine promotion contenders. That's not Keef's fault though. This is his first chance to stamp his name on the squad and he will ultimately live or die by what happens this coming season.

Given time and support Millen could be the man to build BCFC again.

I really would be happy if he was given the next 5 years to completely change the club to his own vision. I think he has the long term development of the club at heart and that is a massive bonus in a sport that consistently disregards the future and concentrates on getting results immediately. Millen is the sort of visionary the nation needs, People like him Trevor Brooking and (Although he is a complete tool and we've had this discussion recently) Glenn Hoddle are the minds we need to change the focus from finance and immediate success to a long term goal of sustainable success across the board.

Perhaps I'm placing far too much trust and confidence in Old Keef, but I think he has it in him to be a top, top gaffer.

Mate sorry i have to disagree. Glenn Hoddle is the only person i see doing what is best for British football. He has his own academy http://www.glennhoddleacademy.com/ to produce players for the future of British football.

The primary goal of the GHA will be to offer a genuine route back into professional football for some of the youngsters discarded by the professional system.

Mate sorry i have to disagree. Glenn Hoddle is the only person i see doing what is best for British football. He has his own academy http://www.glennhoddleacademy.com/ to produce players for the future of British football.

The primary goal of the GHA will be to offer a genuine route back into professional football for some of the youngsters discarded by the professional system.

Think he was saying that he was good mate, says KEEF, Brooking & Hoddle are the type of people we need more of...

:)

I was very dissapointed after the first 10 games or so...& was doubting if millen was the right man but I am extremely impressed & think he will do this club wonders...everytime I hear from him he impress's me greatly & am looking forward to see his 'real' tactics.

I must admit, when GJ left i wanted Steve Coppell to take us to the next level like he did with Reading (a similar sized club).

I personally think, when that MANC **** left it knocked the stuffing out of the club. Chairman,players, fans. I got to be honest i was dumb struck.

I didn't want KM in charge. I seen him as the same as most as GJ puppet.

How glad am i that i'm wrong. What a very strong character we have as a manager.

We have looked on in envy towards clubs that unearthed an up and coming manager, perhaps this time it might be us.

For me he was not in GJ's shadow (especially as GJ recommended him to Steve) but in Coppell's. He succeeded a big name manager who was expected to do big things and had to turn things around. We went from being promotion hopefuls to relegation fighters. He achieved the first aim of survival, though not without problems along the way. He has also shown himself to be astute in the transfer market but it's easier to look a good manager in the close season. The acid test will be his first full season starting from a stable position. To that extent the jury is still out. :fingerscrossed:

It's good to see something positive posted. Like many I was skeptical about KM's appointment, especially considering the previous two occupants of the post, but he picked up the pieces left by Steve Coppell and maintained out Championship status. I'm not convinced we'll be challenging come next May but things look to be heading in the right direction. As for other clubs taking any notice of us I fear the likes of Leeds, Forest, Leicester and Southampton will never acknowledge a club like ours because they are still reliving past glories that happened before many of their current fans were born. And in some ways this is beneficial to us as they are too quick to write us off wether it's signing players (reading the Leeds forums Re. Kilkenny) or doing a Blackpool or Hull and getting promoted. In KM we have a young manager who has everything to prove and a hunger to do so,. I'm just glad I renewed my ST in Feb, roll on 2011/12 season :city:

Big season for Keith Mullen,but very impressed with the way he is going about the job,however what happens on the pitch is what counts,he needs to have his team ready to win games from the first to the last match,and hopefully it will be enough for a playoff spot.

He succeeded a big name manager who was expected to do big things and had to turn things around. We went from being promotion hopefuls to relegation fighters. He achieved the first aim of survival, though not without problems along the way. He has also shown himself to be astute in the transfer market but it's easier to look a good manager in the close season. The acid test will be his first full season starting from a stable position. To that extent the jury is still out.

If anything Millen has been more impressive during the close season than he he was during the season. In all of his interviews with Adam Baker he's come across very well and I thought his plans to redevelop the scouting system in particular were very professional and well received. His signings so far have worked out and the acquisition of Bolasie and Kilkenny add much needed flare and creativity to the squad. We all know he's looking to strengthen in defence before August, hopefully much sooner.

As a number two you'll will always be 'in the shadow' of whoever the manager is but Millen, having had experience of a spell of games after Johnson's departure, immediately imposed his personality and style on the job. He would have known that he wasn't everyone's choice but has proved himself to be very capable by getting City to a mid-table finish. The players respect him and that came over loud and clear in Kilkenny's interview yesterday.

But you're right about next season. Unlike last season, Millen will have a level playing field to start from but I'm confident that City will be there or there abouts come May 2012. Given the strength on the Championship with West Ham and Brum now in it I think automatic promotion is a bridge to far but the play-offs has to a be a realistic aim.

As soon as he was appointed I had the feeling that Millen will achieve great things with City, maybe not next season but I think he'll be the manager to take us into the PL in coming seasons.

For me he was not in GJ's shadow (especially as GJ recommended him to Steve) but in Coppell's. He succeeded a big name manager who was expected to do big things and had to turn things around. We went from being promotion hopefuls to relegation fighters. He achieved the first aim of survival, though not without problems along the way. He has also shown himself to be astute in the transfer market but it's easier to look a good manager in the close season. The acid test will be his first full season starting from a stable position. To that extent the jury is still out. :fingerscrossed:

Fair summary of where we're up to. Know what the OP means, though. It takes time for someone to grow into a big job and you do get a sense of KM becoming more sure of himself in the role and being his own man.

Agree with much of what Robbo's written as well. My own take on it is that we're seeing a greater degree of professionalism introduced into running the football side of things. I admitted in the past that I wasn't GJ's greatest fan. I was uneasy about the father-brother-son element, for one thing, and what I once called a certain corner shop mentality, with the club being run like the family business.

KM hasn't named any names (again a sign of a certain dignified professionalism) but he has made some very revealing comments about past mistakes. These include references to poor annd expensive signings made on the basis of insufficient knowledge (action: overhaul scouting system); a concern about the dearth of academy players progressing to the first team (action: create a development squad and encourage the young ones by being willing to give them an end of season run-out when the result needn't matter); dissatisfaction with the number of injuries sustained, particularly before the season's kicked off (action: have a rethink about the approach to pre-season training, friendlies, etc). And so on.

Yes, we have yet to see how much these innovations actually deliver in practice, and yes, of course it's a big season for him, with what has now become much more his own squad. Jury still out to a large extent, sure, but I have to say I am very pleased with the breadth of vision shown and the thoughtful way he's going about addressing under-performing aspects of the club's structure that have been a cause for concern to many of us on the forum for quite a long time. There was a torrent of negativity towards him back in the dark days of September. I'm just glad to see him now getting some recognition and respect for the very capable way he handled what was a difficult period in the club's recent history.

Yes, we have yet to see how much these innovations actually deliver in practice, and yes, of course it's a big season for him, with what has now become much more his own squad. Jury still out to a large extent, sure, but I have to say I am very pleased with the breadth of vision shown and the thoughtful way he's going about addressing under-performing aspects of the club's structure that have been a cause for concern to many of us on the forum for quite a long time. There was a torrent of negativity towards him back in the dark days of September. I'm just glad to see him now getting some recognition and respect for the very capable way he handled what was a difficult period in the club's recent history.

Well said. I was hugely sceptical at the time of Millen's appointment and critical of the way the then Chairman took what I believed was a panic decision.

That's water under the bridge now and like you I'm impressed with the way KM has handled himself and communicated his objectives...and I'm similarly impressed with the way that the new Chairman & CEO have been managing expectations down.

Good luck to Keith. I think he is fully out of the shadow of the circumstances in which he got the job. But the real work is on the pitch. The signings to date look consistent with assembling a competent and balanced squad. If we hold on to Nicky Maynard it could be an exciting season...my expectations are for something less.

Fair summary of where we're up to. Know what the OP means, though. It takes time for someone to grow into a big job and you do get a sense of KM becoming more sure of himself in the role and being his own man.

Agree with much of what Robbo's written as well. My own take on it is that we're seeing a greater degree of professionalism introduced into running the football side of things. I admitted in the past that I wasn't GJ's greatest fan. I was uneasy about the father-brother-son element, for one thing, and what I once called a certain corner shop mentality, with the club being run like the family business.

KM hasn't named any names (again a sign of a certain dignified professionalism) but he has made some very revealing comments about past mistakes. These include references to poor annd expensive signings made on the basis of insufficient knowledge (action: overhaul scouting system); a concern about the dearth of academy players progressing to the first team (action: create a development squad and encourage the young ones by being willing to give them an end of season run-out when the result needn't matter); dissatisfaction with the number of injuries sustained, particularly before the season's kicked off (action: have a rethink about the approach to pre-season training, friendlies, etc). And so on.

This is one of the things that have impressed me most with Keef. There are talkers and do'ers and KM is proving himself to be one of the latter, with actions and not just words. He is clearly trying to get to the root of what has held this club back in the past and I doubt there are many of our fans who would argue with any of the above areas that KM is addressing. Whether he'll get the right result, who knows, but he's certainly going in the right direction to build a solid base for the club.

I just hope he's given enough time to achieve his aims. I think this is the ideal time to build for the future, as although we'd all like promotion asap, the perfect way would be to get the ground well underway, or better still built before we make the big push, so this would give KM the time to build carefully for the long term good of BCFC.

Well done Keef and up the reds!

I think this is the first time i've seen almost everyone on this forum actually behind a manager! I'm really excited about the future and the signings so far have been exactly what we need: value for money. Good work Keith.

You can bet your last penny that it won't be like this if we lose a game or two in succession.........

Definately out of GJ's and Coppell's shadow. Now he has to deliver an improvement on last season results and consistency.

He is talking big about a squad capable of mounting a challenge.

Me I would just be happy to see us in and around the play off places, to see our season at least prolonged into the last couple of weeks of the season giving us hope of achieving a play off place and not see our season fall into to meaningless games by February. Anything more for me would be a bonus.

Me I would just be happy to see us in and around the play off places, to see our season at least prolonged into the last couple of weeks of the season giving us hope of achieving a play off place and not see our season fall into to meaningless games by February. Anything more for me would be a bonus.

Exactly what I feel, too. Top ten position would be great; sniffing around the fringes of the play-off places and with a chance of nicking sixth at the end. Keeps the season alive. Whether it's a realistic expectation, we'll see, but I'd be very satisfied with that myself.

Yeah, he's improving things- good young hungry signings like Adomah, Pitman, Taylor. Caulker and Spence last season too as good PL loanees. We have more stability and strength than last year, but then the CCC will also I suspect be stronger. How realistic playoffs is, who knows- actually despite everything we were only 7 pts off 6th at the start of April. I think the topend will be stronger though- certainly Southampton and Brighton IMO are either stronger, better run or both than those who went down.

As for those relegated from PL, West Ham and Birmingham will surely challenge- especially the former. Blackpool have scope to invest with parachute payments if they can hold the key members of their squad together they should be decent. It'll be difficult to achieve a playoff place no doubt about it but Millen seems to be growing into the job.

Yeah, he's improving things- good young hungry signings like Adomah, Pitman, Taylor. Caulker and Spence last season too as good PL loanees. We have more stability and strength than last year, but then the CCC will also I suspect be stronger. How realistic playoffs is, who knows- actually despite everything we were only 7 pts off 6th at the start of April. I think the topend will be stronger though- certainly Southampton and Brighton IMO are either stronger, better run or both than those who went down.

As for those relegated from PL, West Ham and Birmingham will surely challenge- especially the former. Blackpool have scope to invest with parachute payments if they can hold the key members of their squad together they should be decent. It'll be difficult to achieve a playoff place no doubt about it but Millen seems to be growing into the job.

I was performing the annual summer task of transferring the fixtures into my diary this morning and nearly died of fright when I saw the games in the first six or seven weeks of the season. Every year we say it's a tough old league and every year it seems if anything to get harder.

There are some high profile managers with points to prove - Allardice and McLaren among them, as well as Sven. WH and Brum will be formidable, sure, and I agree some of those coming up may prove strong, as newly promoted clubs did last year. Blackpool will be a bit of an unknown quantity, depending on what's left of their squad from the promotion season. Holloway did very well to assemble a strong group of players, but Charlie Adam in particular was vital to their success. He was probably the best midfield player I've seen in the Chamionship since we came up and you don't see many of that calibre at our level. Take him out of the equation, along with Campbell and numerous others who are unlikely to be there when it kicks off, and I think he'll find it very hard to replace them with others of similar quality, even with the parachute money at his disposal.

One thing is for certain, and that is if KM can get us on some sort of competitive footing with that lot, then he will have demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that he is up to the job. Promises to be an interesting season.

It will be a massive thumbs up for Keef if he manages to tempt Taylor here ahead of Malky Mackay and Cardiff. If he lands that one it will prove he is doing a tremendous job of selling the club and persuading players to come here rather than clubs that definitely would've been ahead of us in the pecking order in the very recent past.

Archived