IGNORED

Hendo Off To Pompey?

jambodinho

The chief sports writer from the Portsmouth News has tweeted thusly:-

@pn_neil_allen Looks like #Pompey are set to sign Bristol City keeper Stephen Henderson. Out of contract and in training Monday

Shame if true but If they are offering 1st team football he'd be silly to turn them down.

I think that this could really be the player that we regret losing, all because we wanted a vanity signing to prove we are 'serious'.

I would add that i am not knocking James, he has been a good professional, and mostly a good keeper. I just question whether a team making such huge losses, and without particularly large crowds should pay so much money for a short-term player when you have such a good youngster on the books, and Gerken. We had other priorities.

Really feel we will regret this. I work with a Yeovil fan and he said he was absolutely outstanding for them.

James isnt the long term for us,Henderson should be IMO.

It would be like having Micheal Owen for one season or having Maynard for 5.

Not knocking James at all but just feel we are losing a top class keeper and we will regret it a year from now.

Good luck to him. I'd rather have him as back up than Gerken any day. Back up he would be though. I'd rather have "Vanity signing" James between the sticks. He's been there and done it at the highest level possible.

He may have been there and done it.But Henderson could go there and do it for US for the next 10 years!

Henderson won;t get anywhere near the No.1 spot at Pompey, Jamie Ashdown is top man there and always will be, I suppose it could be a step up to No.2 though.....although watch them get a loanee in to play No.1 if JA gets injured.

Have to agree that Henderson has been treated extremely poorly in his time with us & obviously has potential.......I wouldn't trust GJs judgment of him as we all know he HATES youth but I am surprised Keef hasn't pulled out all the stops to keep him.

I watched one of Keef's interviews on player last night and he was on about players behaving themselves....hmmmm.

BCAGFC

We have a well respected manager and a decent coaching infrastructure which includes a dedicated goalkeeping coach. Given that Henderson hasn't been near the first team at all implies to me that they have reservations about his game, his mentality or his fitness. That's good enough for me.

We have a well respected manager and a decent coaching infrastructure which includes a dedicated goalkeeping coach. Given that Henderson hasn't been near the first team at all implies to me that they have reservations about his game, his mentality or his fitness. That's good enough for me.

Agreed, plus as a side note surely James would of given Millen his opions too.

+1... for the most part.

Strikes me that he's been here under two different managers, many different goalkeepers and yet isn't near the first team. Something must be doubtful.

+1... for the most part.

Strikes me that he's been here under two different managers, many different goalkeepers and yet isn't near the first team. Something must be doubtful.

... and I'm not sure why everyone is so convvinced about what a great keeper he is. He's only ever played for us a handful of times and never really stood out IMO. He seemed to do well at Yeovil, but was the best of a bad bunch who were relegated. He would have had to make a lot of saves in that team, so was bound to stand out. Personally, I had hoped he would stay and battled with Gerken for the no.1 spot once James retired. He is nowhere near as good as James though and if he sees his future elsewhere, then so be it. GJ, Copout and Millen have all considered him as 3rd choice, so like others have said, they might have seen a couple of big weaknesses that many of us haven't.

I agree. People should trust the management here.

Even when Henderson was playing for the Irish u21's he used to share his spot with an Irish league GK. Used to do a half each. Never once called up to train with the seniors neither. Been here a while and no loan spells away apart from at Yeovil last season. With their defense i would of come away with player of year awards too. Only serious offers for his services are from two League 1 clubs. If the rumours are true on Pompey and ends up their then he'll be back up at best to Ashdown.

Not bothered at all when Hendo leaves but good luck to him.

Henderson won;t get anywhere near the No.1 spot at Pompey, Jamie Ashdown is top man there and always will be, I suppose it could be a step up to No.2 though.....although watch them get a loanee in to play No.1 if JA gets injured.

/quote]

It is all over the Pompey forum and as they let their back up keeper (Flahavan) go to Bournemouth last week, this makes sense, let's just hope they pay the tribunal fee....

I wouldn't be so sure about Ashdown, though, if Henderson gets a go I can see him keeping him out myself.

From what I heard, Hendo really improved a lot during his time at Yeovil, was generally outstanding and started attracting the scouts. The Yeovil fans I work with were all impressed and felt he was far too good for Division 1. Funny thing is, that's what happens when developing players, they make mistakes, they learn, and in some cases if given chances, they develop into decent players. You have to acept the errors as they learn, and if you have a good one it means you get a decent player for a few years, and maybe even a tidy transfer fee. Henderson is about half the cost of James and on the way up rather than the way down. If we were looking to sign a keeper, and had picked him up for a small fee based on his Yeovil performances, all the critics would be claiming it was a great signing by Keith, a young up and coming player on the cheap, great for the future.

My point with James remains, if we had £15K wages spare, blowing it on a keeper was not top priority. We had two good keepers already, and really just needed a back-up, preferably a youngster that we could develop, and one we could loan to Bath City as their keeper was not great (Impressed with Pentney of Colchester when he arrived on loan though). It will be interesting how Hendos career develops, I have a feeling that he will be one we really regret letting go. BTW, all this inuendo, I prersume it's just made up BS to back up an opinion rather than based on fact, I certainly heard no rumours of any problems at Yeovil, and if you play in Hicksville, news travels fast!

So if Henderson leaves who else have we got ?We have young Louis Carey the goalkeeper on our books. Surely if he is the only other goalkeeper we have then Millen will have to look for cover by bringing someone on loan or buy in the transfer market.

What we've got is David James, available for 46 games last season and Dean Gerken, who was also available for 46 games last season.

If either gets injured or suspended then we bring someone in on loan, no point in wasting wages on someone who won't even sit on the bench otherwise.

This. I know we all like to think we are experts on here, but ask yourself why the club have let him go and resigned Gherken. Just a thought...

It's been said on here that Henderson made it clear to KM some time ago he was not going to sign.

It makes sense then to retain Gerken, a solid young keeper who could yet develop, under James' tutelage, into an excellent Championship keeper.

Henderson would appear to have the potential go further in the game but if his patience has run out there's very little City can do about it.

I was ready to put the blame on KM's shoulders for letting a very promising young keeper slip away through understandable frustration but have come to the conclusion that circumstances conspired to prevent him really making his mark at AG and it's just one of those regrettable things.

I think we will indeed very likely rue the day he left and Henderson will quickly thrive at the club who make him their no. 1.

What we've got is David James, available for 46 games last season and Dean Gerken, who was also available for 46 games last season.

If either gets injured or suspended then we bring someone in on loan, no point in wasting wages on someone who won't even sit on the bench otherwise.

Ok that's fine then problem solved.

It always amuses me that supporters think they know what players are paid - they don't have a clue.

James is paid 8k per week not 15k.

Sorry mate, but that is just not correct.

You say that it amuses you that supporters claim to know what a player is paid and then go right ahead and do it yourself.

I don't like the "I know a better source than you" bullshit, but I do know what he is earning and it isn't 8k. Not having a dig, but I had to reply :flowers:

Archived