IGNORED

News Of The World

myol'man

Who saw Coogan on Newsnight tonight vs ex NOTW journo? He was clearly angry and yeah he perhaps lost it a bit at times but really tore the ex NOTW journo a new one. Actually, I thought that they were going to come to blows at one point- had it been in a pub as opposed to live national TV, who knows. The former did swear though, he spelt out the s-word to describe that particular paper.

Very funny ...

Well obviously. Seriously, if you were to go out now and survey 100 people, what are you worried about right now in your life, not one would say "phone hacking". There's more pressing things to worry about, than who owns an outdated media type, and the proposed buyout of bskyb.

What's the worse than can happen, it'll get as biased as the BBC?

Well yeah, by no means is it the most important issue out there- but I dunno perhaps I'm in minority but to allow something closer than before- 40% of the print media and BSkyB to control media. Like I say, we get the Government we deserve. As for the BBC, I'm not so convinced. Bias in terms of a worldview or a specific political party? By the same token, if we're talking bias then some might say that those who are relaxed about the possible implications of media plurality concentrated so much in the hands of one man- a foreigner no less- who our politicans seem to see fit to cosy uo to, some may say that is bad for democracy. Then again, maybe a nation does get the Government it deserves.

I would also add, with regards my earlier posts about democracy and newsnight- according to Harriet Harman last night on Newsnight- not a great fan of any of the big 3 myself, but that aside she said that if politicans or people try to oppose them they will put private investigators on said people, maybe to try to cow them into silence. What does that say for democracy in UK?

I would also add, with regards my earlier posts about democracy and newsnight- according to Harriet Harman last night on Newsnight- not a great fan of any of the big 3 myself, but that aside she said that if politicans or people try to oppose them they will put private investigators on said people, maybe to try to cow them into silence. What does that say for democracy in UK?

Harriet Harman had her blog hacked, the hacker posted that she was about to quit her job, added links to spurious sites and created a lot of outrage, or hilarity depending on what side of the fence you sat on. Harriet was mid interview, talking about the hack when she was asked the question "Is it true that your blog security was, Username: Harriet Password: Harman" - "yes" she replied "I was perhaps naive and not as security conscious as I should have been" :laughcont:

Most of these hacks are phones, voicemail (and other lots of things) having default preset access, it is up to the user to change the default settings, sadly most are to naive or lazy to. Hacking is illegal, but you need to obtain the details, phone numbers - often this comes from the Police themselves, or friends and acquaintances looking to embarrass people or for a fast buck.

The problem here is the Police, they have failed to charge anyone at any point that could have kept this in check - I have no desire to hear about what Prince Charles wishes to do with Camilla and her Tampons, but the papers print, and the Police ignore. This was a Police matter from the start, they should have prosecuted wrong doing in the 1000's of cases, then maybe we would the press we deserve.

In the Milly Dowler case "The newspaper also made no effort to conceal its activity from Surrey police. After it had hacked the message from the recruitment agency on Milly’s phone, the paper informed police about it.It was Surrey detectives who established that the call was not intended for Milly Dowler." the Police could/should have charged people at that point, again they chose not to.

It's a shame that it has come to this, hearing the MPs waving their morale compass makes me just as sick, around when half of them should have been sacked over the expenses scandal (as they would have in any private company - even if the employee did pay back the 'error'). They talk about phone hacking yet I saw someone comment (sorry to whoever it was, cannot remember) "I have a better idea lets nationalize phone hacking, call it GCHQ and locate it... around-how does Cheltenham sound?"

on a lighter note.... well not lighter but

I guess we just now sit back and watch as to how much the press get castrated by future legislation, Politicians and Celebrities must think Christmas has come early.

I think this may go all the way to the heart of government.

Shareholders don't like Murdoch but he's got the voting sown up

I'd be surprised if it claims scalps that high up, then again a fortnight ago NOTW was still in existence, there were no resignations from police or News Corp and certainly Brooks had not been arrested so it's pretty unprecedented. On your 2nd point, I do wonder- seems that for some while- maybe 30 years, maybe more there has been a cosy relationship between Govt of all stripes and Murdoch. Pretty unprecedented stuff really- who would have thought some phone hacking by a newspaper would cause such ramifications.

The Sun website has been hacked. Re-directs to: http://www.new-times.co.uk/sun/

Wonder how long that'll last.

Edit: Seems the hackers got too many hits, here's the article that was up at the redirected location:

Media moguls body discovered

By STAFF REPORTER

Published: Today

Rupert Murdoch, the controversial media mogul, has reportedly been found dead in his garden, police announce.

Murdoch, aged 80, has said to have ingested a large quantity of palladium before stumbling into his famous topiary garden late last night, passing out in the early hours of the morning.

"We found the chemicals sitting beside a kitchen table, recently cooked," one officer states. "From what we can gather, Murdoch melted and consumed large quantities of it before exiting into his garden."

Authorities would not comment on whether this was a planned suicide, though the general consensus among locals and unnamed sources is that this is the case.

One detective elaborates. "Officers on the scene report a broken glass, a box of vintage wine, and what seems to be a family album strewn across the floor, containing images from days gone by; some containing handpainted portraits of Murdoch in his early days, donning a top hat and monocle."

Another officer reveals that Murdoch was found slumped over a particularly large garden hedge fashioned into a galloping horse. "His favourite", a butler, Davidson, reports.

Butler Davidson has since been taken into custody for additional questioning.

Lulz

So bored of this dull shit now, so bored of the whiter than white BBC harping on about this 24/7. Far more important things to be concerning ourselves with than tieing up half of the government and most of the Met for the next 5 yrs. Shit..

Personally I coulld not give a flying shit who's phone was 'hacked', and I use the word hack as loosely as I can, lets face it, its not really hacking is it?

The EURO is about to implode, the USA is slipping slowly but surely in the abyss, the middle East is going through its most important political, social change in thousands of years. Not to mention China, Africa...

Yet we are being force fed this shit by the media about the media, ohhh how ******* exciting and important.

I wonder if party's are more concern over appearing good in the tabloids than providing a quality government for the people, even if that means unpopular shit that gets you kicked out in the next election, I would rather know the truth straight up than have it 2nd hand through the media.

The are more concern about hanging onto power than delivering government, its a ***ing game to them, a game for the elite. London does not give a shit about you, does not give a flying shit.

So bored of this dull shit now, so bored of the whiter than white BBC harping on about this 24/7. Far more important things to be concerning ourselves with than tieing up half of the government and most of the Met for the next 5 yrs. Shit..

Personally I coulld not give a flying shit who's phone was 'hacked', and I use the word hack as loosely as I can, lets face it, its not really hacking is it?

The EURO is about to implode, the USA is slipping slowly but surely in the abyss, the middle East is going through its most important political, social change in thousands of years. Not to mention China, Africa...

Yet we are being force fed this shit by the media about the media, ohhh how ******* exciting and important.

Fair points, not exactly a time of slow news in a global context. Though while this surely isn't as important as those stories, the problem is it erodes trust in institutions which people should be able to trust- quite right that heads roll over it I'd have thought as a pre-requisite for restoration of trust- justice not only being done but also being seen to be done etc.

The BBC is nothing more than this country's state propaganda news agency. The BBC news peddles bullshit on a daily basis and you're not the only person pissed off with watching the BBC news only to see Lib Lab Con members of parliament making public school braying noises at each other about the antics of Rupert Murdoch. I'd be much happier with the BBC news if they'd report on the daily antics of the criminal led European Union project that's doing far more harm to this country economically and socially than Murdoch ever has.

The BBC is nothing more than this country's state propaganda news agency. The BBC news peddles bullshit on a daily basis and you're not the only person pissed off with watching the BBC news only to see Lib Lab Con members of parliament making public school braying noises at each other about the antics of Rupert Murdoch. I'd be much happier with the BBC news if they'd report on the daily antics of the criminal led European Union project that's doing far more harm to this country economically and socially than Murdoch ever has.

The BBC distorts the media in this country to a unhealthy degree. We are the only country in the world where the Government forces it's people on threat of fines and jail to buy a licence to give us 'permission' to watch TV, not even North Korea does that.

The BBC should open a new channel and it's popular and profit making programmes (Top Gear, Eastenders etc) should go on it with a aim selling it (making it a advertising channel). The licence fee should then be scrapped with the BBC becoming a few separate channels for Children's TV, Educational programmes, Parliament/News 24, Arts and culture - the things Public broadcasters should be doing, it should not be competing with other TV and Radio channels for audience share using our money with no real financial accountability.

The BBC is nothing more than this country's state propaganda news agency.

I would also disagree with this, the BBC has a distinctly Fabian world view and theme in its reporting. Which is another reason it needs breaking up, the BBC should not be free to influence the public's political views by using the public's money.

The BBC distorts the media in this country to a unhealthy degree. We are the only country in the world where the Government forces it's people on threat of fines and jail to buy a licence to give us 'permission' to watch TV, not even North Korea does that.

The BBC should open a new channel and it's popular and profit making programmes (Top Gear, Eastenders etc) should go on it with a aim selling it (making it a advertising channel). The licence fee should then be scrapped with the BBC becoming a few separate channels for Children's TV, Educational programmes, Parliament/News 24, Arts and culture - the things Public broadcasters should be doing, it should not be competing with other TV and Radio channels for audience share using our money with no real financial accountability.

I would also disagree with this, the BBC has a distinctly Fabian world view and theme in its reporting. Which is another reason it needs breaking up, the BBC should not be free to influence the public's political views by using the public's money.

Indeed, the BBC has a distinctly Fabian world view and theme in its reporting. Remember that the Fabians support the German Frankfurt School of political thinking and this Frankfurt School is at the core of the distinctly fascist European Union project that the BBC never gives a negative report on in its propaganda outbursts. I'm sure that anything remotely anti European Union project is filtered by political instructors at the BBC and news broadcast and diseminated by Fabian political officers. E.g. where was the BBC news coverage of Gordon Brown signing the EU Lisbon Treaty that - moreorless - finishes the United Kingdom as a sovereign and independent country ???!!!!!

That written, the BBC educational programmes - especially their Open University linked broadcasts - are first class. Their coverage of big sports events is good as well. A shame that the BBC's impartiality is being tainted by Fabians and the German European Unionist Frankfurt School 'politically correct' zealots.

That written, the BBC educational programmes - especially their Open University linked broadcasts - are first class. Their coverage of big sports events is good as well. A shame that the BBC's impartiality is being tainted by Fabians and the German European Unionist Frankfurt School 'politically correct' zealots.

I agree, that is why I would like to see the BBC broken up into a truly public broadcasting organisation. Its education, children,s programming and live committee/parliamentary debates should have their own channels funded by government. There rating chasing programmes separated and either sold to other stations or put onto a new self funded commercial channel.

I think that the current Euro zone fiasco is going to be the make or break for the next couple of decades, whether the EU end up bailing out troubled Euro Zone members to protect it's currency (which will require even more political integration - a defacto ECB running of countries Banking sectors and economies) or whether some countries step back, reject the bail outs and we see the Euro zones ambitions become more modest.

There will be a lot of NAFTA, Shanghai Corp and others watching with interest as the EU's current situation has great implications on the global economic direction, personally I think we will see more and more protectionism.

I agree, that is why I would like to see the BBC broken up into a truly public broadcasting organisation. Its education, children,s programming and live committee/parliamentary debates should have their own channels funded by government. There rating chasing programmes separated and either sold to other stations or put onto a new self funded commercial channel.

I think that the current Euro zone fiasco is going to be the make or break for the next couple of decades, whether the EU end up bailing out troubled Euro Zone members to protect it's currency (which will require even more political integration - a defacto ECB running of countries Banking sectors and economies) or whether some countries step back, reject the bail outs and we see the Euro zones ambitions become more modest.

There will be a lot of NAFTA, Shanghai Corp and others watching with interest as the EU's current situation has great implications on the global economic direction, personally I think we will see more and more protectionism.

Persoanlly, I'd like to see the BBC funded from general taxation and not a licence fee. There definately needs to be a public inquiry into why the BBC has become so propagandist with its sensationalized news bulletins that are aimed at brainwashing rather than informing.

Not reported properly by the BBC but here we go, my own news bulletin :dancing6: .........There really should be international sympathy for the plight of the Greek people because - like the government of the United Kingdom - their Government has signed them up to the criminal led EU project. The European Unionists - in their rush to create a political, social and economic union of Europe under a centralized tyranny - allowed Greece membership of the Eurozone. Euro membership for the economy of Greece was totally inappropriate from the start. They have thus had their 2,000+ year old Drachma currency replaced by the Euro of the Frankfurt European Central Banksters (ECB) and the Greek Government has borrowed money from the IMF to pay for armaments from Germany and France that they do not need. The current Greek debt is thus odious and illegitimate to the Greek people and they should refuse to pay it as per their right in international law.

To think we all laughed at that American pastor when he predicted the end of the World ...

Obviously, he was talking about the paper.

:disapointed2se:

The American pastor may have consulted an Oracle and been given a cryptic message that he misinterpreted? The end of the News of the World and not the 'world' - lucky for us.

I see the odds on Cameron quitting are now down to 8/1.

http://www.metro.co....-for-pm-to-quit

Do the bookies know something?

Is Rebekah Brooks the new Monica Lewinski? pacifier.gif

Monica Lewinski and Bill Clinton's big fat cigar. :laughcont:

The bookies will give about 4/6 that Toff David Cameron will be replaced with another Tory Toff. Tally Ho, off to pay more of our taxes to the EU they go. :facepalm:

Well, I dunno- Myurdoch's papers have perhaps encouraged a sort of gung ho culture of war maybe- always enthusiastically (especially the Sun and NOTW) banging the drum for wars. Sadly one of said wars arguably helped to lead to 7/7- big leap to blame Murdoch for 7/7 but he;s hardly for the most part been a force for good has he?

Persoanlly, I'd like to see the BBC funded from general taxation and not a licence fee. There definately needs to be a public inquiry into why the BBC has become so propagandist with its sensationalized news bulletins that are aimed at brainwashing rather than informing.

Not reported properly by the BBC but here we go, my own news bulletin :dancing6: .........There really should be international sympathy for the plight of the Greek people

Funny, I was watching a report on Greek attitudes to the Euro and reactions to the austerity budget forced on their government only today on ... the BBC News Channel.

I'd like you to give me some examples of these sensationalised news bulletins of which you speak.

Having once worked there, I can assure you that no media outlet's output is subject to more scrutiny and checks and balances than the Beeb's.

If people are saying that the BBC is overplaying the phone-hacking scandal then they've obviously not watched Sky News, whose rolling service matched minute-by-minute the BBCs.

I suppose they are all 'Fabians' too, are they? :whistle2:

Funny, I was watching a report on Greek attitudes to the Euro and reactions to the austerity budget forced on their government only today on ... the BBC News Channel.

I'd like you to give me some examples of these sensationalised news bulletins of which you speak.

Having once worked there, I can assure you that no media outlet's output is subject to more scrutiny and checks and balances than the Beeb's.

If people are saying that the BBC is overplaying the phone-hacking scandal then they've obviously not watched Sky News, whose rolling service matched minute-by-minute the BBCs.

I suppose they are all 'Fabians' too, are they? :whistle2:

I really don't think Sky News is Fabian as they're too right wing. Just about every political news report by the BBC on prime time is now sensationalized with the broadcast preceeded by loud drumming as per Hitler's Third Reich newsreels. I'd just like the news presented and read in a calm and impartial way as it used to be.

Archived