IGNORED

Defence Next Season

ateyomike

Am i the only one that may be a tiny bit worried about defence next season the lack of new players to strengthen us up ?? Or am i worrying uneccessarily ?? i would love anyone to come and reply just to re assure me and make me feel a little bit happier or are we waiting for season long term loans? I know we all trust in keef but at the moment is my main concern

I'd be worried if it was the first game of the season tomorrow, but seeing as it isn't I honestly couldn't care less.

Millen has actively been seeking to plug these gaps as publicised by the transfers we've not quite captured. I don't think he'll now stop searching for new signings just because the people at the top of the "list" have gone elsewhere!!!

He's specified he will be delving into the loan market when Prem Clubs know who will be in their 25 man squads for the forthcoming season. I'm sure he's in the ears of the contacts he already has finding out the availability of these fringe prem players as we speak and will continue to do so in tandem with the new Chief Scout and Wiggles. Hopefully his newly formed friendship with Mike Phelan and his seemingly good relationship with 'Arry will lead to us tapping the very best of English youth players.

Am i the only one that may be a tiny bit worried about defence next season the lack of new players to strengthen us up ?? Or am i worrying uneccessarily ?? i would love anyone to come and reply just to re assure me and make me feel a little bit happier or are we waiting for season long term loans? I know we all trust in keef but at the moment is my main concern

The defence is a huge concern as things stand.

I don't think anyone should, or would, underestimate just what a colossus Caulker was for us last season.

Hard to imagine how we can replace such an inspirational presence at the back and, without him, KM has a huge task on his hands to try and forge a defensive line up strong enough to make us competitive in this division.

Plenty of time yet though.

as said before we will probably see loan activity when premier league teams know their squad of 25, however for me the main thing is if our players can stay fit then i think we only need a good left back (ideally would want a good cb as well)

- Ribeiro if he can stay fit will probably play near enough the whole season at right back

- for me Wilson could fill in at centre back if we dont get anyone in, as long as he plays next to Fontaine/new signing or loan signing

- replacements/cover would be Carey, Nynatanga, Macca and Edwards. Not bad imo.

with ribs was really worried at the time when you saw that when he had that hamstring injury and it was done in such a simple way it did at the time make me wonder how fit were those not in first team anbd how we do need a reserve team in a league a few years ago we were in the western league at least getting some sort of competitive football

I dont trust any of our defenders for one reason and another. I think Louis is still best of a poor bunch and even then given his age & injuries i bet he wont play more than 25 games next season.

I would imagine we'll be bringing in a perm CB and probably a young LB on loan to cover McCallister (though should be a replacement).

IF we have two new defenders on board im guessing the backline will be something like - Carey/Skuse New Fontaine McCallister. Still poor IMO.

No you ain't the only one worried but there is some positives.

It don't take a genius to work out we need to improve big time in this department and millen and the club no this. You only have to look at the transfers we have missed out on so far

Right back: Jordan spence and Billy jones

Centre back: Steven caulker and Gareth mcauly

Left back: Andrew Taylor

To me, that's a pretty impressive list of players identified and any mix of them with what we have would of been fantastic.

My real worry is how far down the list of targets we have to go and would hope we don't panic buy or loan but I trust with 'Millen and wiggs' we have something up are sleeves.

Also have to mention the ridiculous amount of injuries last year and the fact the midfield seem to be inept at retaining any sort of possession for the most part, creating wave after wave of pressure back on our defensive third and in turn causing more often than not a long punt forward from the defence (made worse by a lack of options/confidence in midfield) and the cycle starting over again.

Now I'm not suggesting one player makes a team or that it is the answer to all our defensive frailties but I think the signing of Kilkenny will turn out to be a great addition to the squad as he is a 'real footballer' who wants the ball and can use it. Surely this will help inspire and bring out the best in those around him and therefore help eradicate the constant pressure on our back and indirectly improving our defence.

All IMO of course and I'm sure many will disagree.

I'm more worried at the difficulty we're having in moving on those who aren't good enough, rather than the lack of any new signings.

Leaving aside those defenders just signed as first year pros, Muggeridge, Bryan and Amadi-Holloway, we already have the following under contract:

RB Ribeiro, Hunt, Edwards,

LB McAllister, Ball

CB, Carey, Fontaine, Nyatanga, Stewart, Wilson.

10!

Shouldn't the first question being asked as to why we have so many under contract when we still seem to need at least two more?

I wouldn't say i'm overly worried...plenty of time yet to get a left back in, but on the whole i think alot of our defensive frailties were down to tactics last season. There were times when our midfield was playing so deep and backing off advancing players that it was constantly inviting pressure onto the defence. I think we may see a stronger defensive unit if we start getting at teams alot further up the pitch. Particularly at home we should not be allowing ourselves to be put on the back foot as much as we were.

You are not worrying unnecessarily. It has been nearly 12 months since many began shouting from the roof tops that our defence needed strengthening and, arguably, more than any other area on the pitch. In that time we have done business in every other department. I am wondering why it has taken so long. Perhaps quality defenders are the hardest thing to find as well as decent scouts? Alternatively we are not a big enough attraction anymore. Worrying?.. yes, but we still have time.

It won't be hard for KM to get a loan signing especially at left back....it's just how long he waits before rushing a player in.....could be a gd few weeks before we have anymore activity.

The season starts in 'a good few weeks'. if you are right then that will not be an ideal scenario. Bit of last season syndrome creeping in?

I must admit it could be a big season for Wilson he looked very assured when he played against Derby and Hull I wouldn't mind him getting a chance to be honest, But we'll have to see how well he plays pre-season,

Left and right back are the only ones I'm worried about and only really left back is the problem

You are not worrying unnecessarily. It has been nearly 12 months since many began shouting from the roof tops that our defence needed strengthening and, arguably, more than any other area on the pitch. In that time we have done business in every other department. I am wondering why it has taken so long. Perhaps quality defenders are the hardest thing to find as well as decent scouts? Alternatively we are not a big enough attraction anymore. Worrying?.. yes, but we still have time.

I am sure something was done, we signed Stewart and Hunt. Both at the time seen as great signings. So clearly things were done with the defence, on Hindsight the signing of Hunt was Poor, I still believe Stewart is a good solid centre back, but is prone to throwing himself in a bit too early for my liking and leaving space in behind when he doesn't win the ball.

So business has been done. And then Business was done in the Loan market during the season when injuries and form issues kicked in, both Caulker and Spence, again, shows things were seen and things rectified.

Lets give them a chance, they clearly went after Caulker and Spence again and Taylor, things are happening, yes those three haven't come off but to suggest nothing has been done to try and improve our defence is wide of the mark in my opinion.

I am sure something was done, we signed Stewart and Hunt. Both at the time seen as great signings. So clearly things were done with the defence, on Hindsight the signing of Hunt was Poor, I still believe Stewart is a good solid centre back, but is prone to throwing himself in a bit too early for my liking and leaving space in behind when he doesn't win the ball.

So business has been done. And then Business was done in the Loan market during the season when injuries and form issues kicked in, both Caulker and Spence, again, shows things were seen and things rectified.

Lets give them a chance, they clearly went after Caulker and Spence again and Taylor, things are happening, yes those three haven't come off but to suggest nothing has been done to try and improve our defence is wide of the mark in my opinion.

Absolutely top class post. Reasoned and thought out. Quick someone frame it!

Exactly right.

Some fans are impatient and don't realise how complicated it is to attract and sign players.

Keef has said many times that he's looking to strengthen the defence but still some fans don't hear what he's saying.

Good assessment.

It's a bit concerning we've been after a right back, a left back and a centre half... And so far we've got nothing.

I don't even really know what our first choice defense as is would be.

It's a bit concerning we've been after a right back, a left back and a centre half... And so far we've got nothing.

Doesn't matter what our defence would be as of now. Stop panicking

By the time 6th August comes around Millen will have signed at least two maybe three new defenders. Have faith.

At the moment I would say:

Ribeiro/Carey Stewart Fontaine Macca

Doesn't look great but I fully expect that to change to:

Ribeiro/Carey Wilson Fonts New Signing

Which looks a lot better especially if Ribeiro can stayt healthy and Wilson maintains his form from last season...

Archived