IGNORED

Shin Pads

Bar BS3

Just looking at the training pics from Portugal and I am amazed that now they seem to be at the stage of 5-a-side games or whatever it is they are playing, that none of the players seem to be wearing Shin pads!

There are a few pictures where it looks as though tackles are flying in. not good if a slightly wayward challenge leads to studs in the shin! Even if it only resultas in bruising and swelling, thn it would distrupt a players preperations at this key stage of preseason....?

Thoughts?

Just looking at the training pics from Portugal and I am amazed that now they seem to be at the stage of 5-a-side games or whatever it is they are playing, that none of the players seem to be wearing Shin pads!

There are a few pictures where it looks as though tackles are flying in. not good if a slightly wayward challenge leads to studs in the shin! Even if it only resultas in bruising and swelling, thn it would distrupt a players preperations at this key stage of preseason....?

Thoughts?

I agree , there is no point in taking unecessary risks. As you rightly say , one slightly wayward tackle could set a player back a good few weeks.

After the thread questioning the type of weight machine Nicky Maynard was using, this forum appears to be turning into the squads mum. I predict that within 24 hours someone will be giving Jamal Campbell-Ryce a dressing down for not washing behind his ears and a day after that Liam Fontaine will be publicly rebuked for not eating his greens

This is a PROFESSIONAL Football Club, i'd like to think they've got this angle covered

The Laws of the Game set out the basic equipment which must be worn by all players in Law 4: The Players' Equipment. Five separate items are specified: shirt (also known as a jersey), shorts, socks (also known as stockings), footwear and shin pads.

I personally would want to wear them as often as possible , to get used to playing in them as much as for protection.

I don't mean in a competitive match, I mean a kick around, even though we still play 11 v 11 and a full size pitch. I find it easier to play without them

Yeah, because that is exactly the same as a group of proffesional sportsmen being paid £1,000's per week, who are 26 days away from a long hard season of chmponship football!

Yeah, because that is exactly the same as a group of proffesional sportsmen being paid £1,000's per week, who are 26 days away from a long hard season of chmponship football!

A difference how? I probably play football more hours in the day than they do. I know they do it professionally but it should be a players choice to wear shin pads or not.

Slow news day?

City players in no shin pads shocker!

Yes, it is a slow news day.

I would love to see your reaction if tomorrows evening post back page lead with a story along the lines of......

MAYNARD & ADOMAH OUT FOR 6 WEEKS.

Reports from City's training camp in Portugal suggest that City will be without star plays Nicky Maynard & Albert Adomah, after a training ground accident left both players injured. Maynard has suffered a fracture to his shin bone, whilst Adomah has heavy swelling and initial examination suggests there may be some bone chiped away from his ankle.

The accident occured during a tackle in a training match. Blah blah blah.....

Wouldn't be quite so amusing then, would it..?!

For you maybe....but pro's no.

Even my 5 year old can't train unless he wears shin pads.

I just find it a bit OTT. Shin pads are not at all great protection and can cause irritations such as rashes and plenty of sweat. It's my view that a footballer should have the choice to wear shin pads or not. Just as the same in Rugby if a player wishes to wear a head guard or not.

A difference how? I probably play football more hours in the day than they do. I know they do it professionally but it should be a players choice to wear shin pads or not.

The difference being that, no offence but i don't give a toss if you pick up a knock whilst playing down the park with your mates. That would have no bearing whatsoever to Bristol City's pre-season preperations.

I just find it a bit OTT. Shin pads are not at all great protection and can cause irritations such as rashes and plenty of sweat. It's my view that a footballer should have the choice to wear shin pads or not. Just as the same in Rugby if a player wishes to wear a head guard or not.

OK, each to their own i suppose.

Do me a favour though, next time you are down the park playing, go into a few tackles without shin pads until you get caught by a stud on your shin. Then try it again WITH shin pads on and let me know which you would prefer our highly paid players to be on the end of, just as we are getting them to peak fitness in readiness for the season ahead....?

Tell that to Victor Anichebe

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1153503/My-lucky-escape-How-pair-12-shin-pads-helped-save-Anichebes-career.html

that's your choice in a kick about.

But, when someone "eventually" takes you out with an over the top tackle you will regret not wearing them.

Which is worse, a sweaty leg or a broken one?

Next you will be saying that bikers shouldn't wear crash helmets because they don't fall off very often!!!!:)

that's your choice in a kick about.

But, when someone "eventually" takes you out with an over the top tackle you will regret not wearing them.

Which is worse, a sweaty leg or a broken one?

Next you will be saying that bikers shouldn't wear crash helmets because they don't fall off very often!!!!:)

Ever been to Turkey? A family of 4 will all be on a motor bike with no protection at all :laughcont:

But it's just my opinion. And I don't dismiss players for using them. I just prefer to not use them.

Ever been to Turkey? A family of 4 will all be on a motor bike with no protection at all :laughcont:

A very good point, well made........

Over 3000 people a year die in traffic accidents in Turkey. In the majority of motorcycle accidents riders were not wearing a crash helmet. ...

www.fethiyetimes.com/.../4272-wear-a-helmet-and-save-the-heart-ache.html

.....NOT!!

Yes, it is a slow news day.

I would love to see your reaction if tomorrows evening post back page lead with a story along the lines of......

MAYNARD & ADOMAH OUT FOR 6 WEEKS.

Reports from City's training camp in Portugal suggest that City will be without star plays Nicky Maynard & Albert Adomah, after a training ground accident left both players injured. Maynard has suffered a fracture to his shin bone, whilst Adomah has heavy swelling and initial examination suggests there may be some bone chiped away from his ankle.

The accident occured during a tackle in a training match. Blah blah blah.....

Wouldn't be quite so amusing then, would it..?!

Drama Queen!

Thoughts?

Just like in all team in training, it will be a light session built for fitness.

Archived