IGNORED

Irrational Forum Peeve

awbb

"Off one's own back" which should be "bat"; "doing one's upmost" which should be "utmost"; "grasp the nettle" which should be "mettle"; "would have" instead of "had"; "I could care less" which is the opposite of what is meant; ...shall I go on?

"Off one's own back" which should be "bat"; "doing one's upmost" which should be "utmost"; "grasp the nettle" which should be "mettle"; "would have" instead of "had"; "I could care less" which is the opposite of what is meant; ...shall I go on?

Why not ?

I've always used 'grasp the nettle'. Tackling a problem boldly by holding the nettle firmly so that it does not sting. There is an internet debate on this which supports the use of 'nettle' as opposed to 'mettle'. Have posted this out of interest, no wish to offend in any way.

I am aware of the argument marshy, and there is a great deal of logic behind the use of nettle; in fact I would go so far as to say it is a stronger metaphor, but the same could also be said for my other examples "back" and "utmost", where in each case the possibly weaker option is correct, which is my reason for supporting mettle. (Sheer bloody-mindedness?!)

It's the old duct/duck tape conundrum: http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

You and other wordy types may like this, written by a bloke in Bristol I believe: http://www.worldwidewords.org/

Anyway, today's pet peeve: "pre-madonna". WTF is that? Before Madonna? Seriously, WTF?! Death. Death. Death.

Archived