IGNORED

Norwich Rovers

fatman

What if Norwich had a Norwich Rovers as well as a City. What if their history was similar to ours? Gates of 23000 would be split and they would now have 2 unsuccessful clubs instead of one in the Premier League. Our problem is clear. 2 clubs in a City which can only sustain one! Our problem is that the great city of Bristol has 2 clubs and, like Nottingham, not a lot of success. One has to go! Any offers?

What if Norwich had a Norwich Rovers as well as a City. What if their history was similar to ours? Gates of 23000 would be split and they would now have 2 unsuccessful clubs instead of one in the Premier League. Our problem is clear. 2 clubs in a City which can only sustain one! Our problem is that the great city of Bristol has 2 clubs and, like Nottingham, not a lot of success. One has to go! Any offers?

Didn't Forest win the European Cup..?

Can I just ask?

Nottingham.... had 2 clubs in the top flight at the same time and

1 of them went onto win the European Cup twice...

Maybe not at the moment but not in the too distant past though.

Forest were euro champs twice

Bristo city were in the top flight for 4 seasons and Rovers played in the second div at the time, now known as the championship.

Bristol is big enough to have a third team, trouble is we Bristolians aint so mad on sport

You wonder how cities like Liverpool, Manchester, London and Milan cope. A bit lower down the scale the presence of Notts County hasn't stopped Florist reaching the Prem and winning in Europe. The existence of Bristol Rovers is not our problem - they're a fairly negligible laugh of a side show at the best of times. Our problem is that the west country has no great footballing tradition and the nearest prem side to us will be either WBA or QPR. No west country team has ever won the Prem/old first division, or even anything else of note and we don't have the depth of support to maintain top flight status. Other than football tradition, the city has always suffered from an absence of ambition - when I came to Bristol 40 years ago public transport and education were said to be poor and they still are. If you need any more evidence just look at the absence of a decent concert hall and all the fuss over Ashton Vale.

Don't get me wrong, after all this time I wouldn't want to live anywhere else than England's greatest village - but I wouldn't waste your time hoping for Champion's League football anytime soon. I also wouldn't wish the Gas out of existence - following City all these years has sometimes been painful, but at least we've been able to comfort ourselves with the knowledge that there's always somebody worse of than us.

You wonder how cities like Liverpool, Manchester, London and Milan cope. A bit lower down the scale the presence of Notts County hasn't stopped Florist reaching the Prem and winning in Europe. The existence of Bristol Rovers is not our problem - they're a fairly negligible laugh of a side show at the best of times. Our problem is that the west country has no great footballing tradition and the nearest prem side to us will be either WBA or QPR. No west country team has ever won the Prem/old first division, or even anything else of note and we don't have the depth of support to maintain top flight status. Other than football tradition, the city has always suffered from an absence of ambition - when I came to Bristol 40 years ago public transport and education were said to be poor and they still are. If you need any more evidence just look at the absence of a decent concert hall and all the fuss over Ashton Vale.

Don't get me wrong, after all this time I wouldn't want to live anywhere else than England's greatest village - but I wouldn't waste your time hoping for Champion's League football anytime soon. I also wouldn't wish the Gas out of existence - following City all these years has sometimes been painful, but at least we've been able to comfort ourselves with the knowledge that there's always somebody worse of than us.

Very fair points calculus. All valid. except the 5000 few who turn up on the dark side could fill our ground!

except the 5000 few who turn up on the dark side could fill our ground!

But have you actually seen them? Lost souls the lot of 'em - they only go there to feel good about themselves. Just imagine what going to a proper football club might do to their fragile psyches.

I suppose there's something in what you say - a few more attaneding matches and the undivided attention of the press, council and commercial sponsors would be a good thing. Who would we laugh at, though?

Enjoy it for what it is... We live in a beautiful part of the world, and there are so many other things to enjoy apart from football.

We are never going to be a Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool...is it such a problem that we are not in the Prem?

I've thought about this in the past. Would i rather be watching Bristol City with all it's up's and downs, or a Club like Aston Villa, where each season is so near but yet so far? It must be bloody frustrating.

I enjoy following City, but i also enjoy doing many other things as well, and tbh there are many other people living close to Bristol that are like me. That's probably why City will never have a massive attendance. They have a massive 'following', but not so many that bother to go.

Am i going to go on Saturday and watch the friendly, or am i going to go to the Harbour festival, hang out with mates, have a few beers, a bite to eat, watch the world go by and sit in the sun...the latter. And so will many others. There are so many other things to enjoy in and around Bristol each weekend.

Imagine living in Devon, Dorset or Cornwall...we've not got it so bad here football wise. In many ways the best of both worlds.

It really doesn't bother me...nor many others. And this is the type of thing SL, the board and the Club need to think about when it comes to our planned new Stadium. After the initial furore...things will settle and become the norm and we will resemble Coventry. All imho of course.

And actually, if you include the suburbs of Birmingham and Manchester, they contain 5 League clubs each. I don't think either Bristol club should be affected by having the other on it's doorstep. I believe it is more to do with our geographical location, as the West Country has always been a sporting outback, a vicious circle of not attracting the big money men, and in turn not attracting the better players.

Bristo city were in the top flight for 4 seasons and Rovers played in the second div at the time, now known as the championship.

Bristol is big enough to have a third team, trouble is we Bristolians aint so mad on sport

Or is it bristolians are very mad on sport?

Yes... I think so. We tend to be doer's, rather than sitters and watchers.

The Bristol region has the highest number of amateur footballers playing on a Saturday anywhere in the country, except London.

That's more than Merseyside, Geordieland, and Glasgow - all hotbeds for producing footballers.

That might explain why our crowds are down on other cities and why we struggle...conversely, the fact we struggle might explain why so many people would rather play football on a Saturday rather than watching us or the Gas. It's a veritable Catch 22 situation.

So, should we just close down all the amateur teams in the region and tell all the players they have to choose a team to watch?!

I'm interested to know what this backwardness is, please tell.

By its geographical location East Anglia is on its own. No one ever 'passes though' the East. If you find yourself in East Anglia its usually because you need to be there, poor souls.

No passing people means it becomes socially stagnant compared to the rest of the UK and this is reflected in its peoples peculiarities.

East Anglia is very boring too imo, its flat and dull. Norwich has a great History as a City parts of East Anglia have a lot of histry going back to the Normans, Saxons, and the Roman invasion. Boudica too.

Even come across the expression NFN?

Nice people, dont get me wrong, just a little insular. Is that enough for you? :farmer:

The Bristol region has the highest number of amateur footballers playing on a Saturday anywhere in the country, except London.

That's more than Merseyside, Geordieland, and Glasgow - all hotbeds for producing footballers.

That might explain why our crowds are down on other cities and why we struggle...conversely, the fact we struggle might explain why so many people would rather play football on a Saturday rather than watching us or the Gas. It's a veritable Catch 22 situation.

So, should we just close down all the amateur teams in the region and tell all the players they have to choose a team to watch?!

Not at all... we should continue to encourage people to play sport rather than watch it. Watching City on a Saturday afternoon is the last resort if there is no sport to play as far as i'm concerned.

Tbh, i'd prefer it if the Football league was played on a Friday night, but i'm really in a massive minority thinking that.

I really like night games, always a better atmosphere, and for me it would be a great start to the weekend.

The only downside is less people would be able to travel to away games. But in all honesty, how many regularly do that?

I wonder if more City fans would turn up during a week night, if it was a regular occurance.

Not at all... we should continue to encourage people to play sport rather than watch it. Watching City on a Saturday afternoon is the last resort if there is no sport to play as far as i'm concerned.

Tbh, i'd prefer it if the Football league was played on a Friday night, but i'm really in a massive minority thinking that.

I really like night games, always a better atmosphere, and for me it would be a great start to the weekend.

The only downside is less people would be able to travel to away games. But in all honesty, how many regularly do that?

I wonder if more City fans would turn up during a week night, if it was a regular occurance.

I don't know the answer but someone will know if we are better supported on midweek evening games when all the local footballers are available. I think its just the nature of Bristol football supporters in general that makes them fickle about what they want. Personnally I hate the premier league for all its greed and power but footballing wise its the so-called promised land and yes I was at Wembley against Hull hoping we won. Guess that makes me fickle too.

I don't know the answer but someone will know if we are better supported on midweek evening games when all the local footballers are available. I think its just the nature of Bristol football supporters in general that makes them fickle about what they want. Personnally I hate the premier league for all its greed and power but footballing wise its the so-called promised land and yes I was at Wembley against Hull hoping we won. Guess that makes me fickle too.

I too was hoping for promotion to the Premier, not so that we can be like a Premier League side, but to show how good the lower division clubs are and can be.

Although I can't stand Pulis, I look on at Stoke and think of us as a very similar club in size, potential and stature, and everybody else has been going on about how great the Stoke fans are etc.. Well I remember being there when they were s**t and they weren't all that, BUT it shows how things can turn if you have just a little bit of success.

I can feel it, we're so close, but we can't get over that finishing line. I'm assuming the club are happy to hold their own until the new stadium is built, and then we'll see a real push for promotion.

Like you i'm not a big fan of the Premier League. I don't think the Entertainment is worthy of the price hyke. Just as much fun, if not more in the Championship at a relatively affordable price.

I know it's never going to happen, but could a team gain promotion from the Championship, but turn it down and stay put? Is this possible?

Like you i'm not a big fan of the Premier League. I don't think the Entertainment is worthy of the price hyke. Just as much fun, if not more in the Championship at a relatively affordable price.

I know it's never going to happen, but could a team gain promotion from the Championship, but turn it down and stay put? Is this possible?

I like reading your posts spud, but this seems a little ridiculous if not arrogant. No insult intended.

Don't get me wrong, some of the best/memorable times I've had watching City have been in the lower leagues, well we've been there so long. York home '83, Chester away '84, Doncaster home '88, Shrewsbury away '90, and even the humiliating Northampton away '82, to name a few.

But to say you wouldn't want to see City in the top league, however breif, or affordable it maybe, seems illogical and wrong.

Please tell me your not happy with stagnating.

I wonder if more City fans would turn up during a week night, if it was a regular occurrence.

Evening matches are great for me, but commercially and practically its not possible for most.

Works well on the continent mind you, Spain and Portugal play far more evening games that us, but then there's the weather...gets hot at 3pm over there .

I like reading your posts spud, but this seems a little ridiculous if not arrogant. No insult intended.

Don't get me wrong, some of the best/memorable times I've had watching City have been in the lower leagues, well we've been there so long. York home '83, Chester away '84, Doncaster home '88, Shrewsbury away '90, and even the humiliating Northampton away '82, to name a few.

But to say you wouldn't want to see City in the top league, however brief, or affordable it maybe, seems illogical and wrong.

You can want something so much that it impairs your judgement. In extreme cases totally blind you to reality. :wacko:

Not at all suggesting anyone here is blind to reality of course. I want the Prem, starting to think its owed to you almost, all that time, investment, bad luck that will eventually even out. Where is the Prem?!

My advice is don't expect anything, just hope for it instead. Don't have rigid levels/targets of expectancy in your mind, which if the club fails to meet you will not be best pleased. You promised your brain those yummy endorphins, but failed to deliver.

Haha, going a little of track.., but had you not set those targets you would of course be happier, changing the way you think changes your life. :)

But to say you wouldn't want to see City in the top league, however breif, or affordable it maybe, seems illogical and wrong.

Never intended it to come over as arrogant, so apologise for that.

I'm basing my feelings purely on the fact that over the past 3 years, i've watched as much live Premier League football as i've watched City. And i know it's not the same, when it's not your own team, but i've found it all rather stale and over hyped...and in most cases too expensive for the entertainment you're witnessing.

In a perfect 'footballing' world i'd love City to gain promotion and do well in the Prem. But imho, it's far from perfect.

I hinted at it in a earlier thread, but can you imagine being a fan of someone like Aston Villa. You're never going to win the league, and not likely to go down. How can you get fired up for that? Because of the money involved, winning promotion and then getting relegated seems to really destabilise a Club.

I really don't think we are stagnating...Perhaps we are trying to run before we can walk. It wasn't that long ago we were playing in League 1 and there are many Clubs in this Division that have been in it for years.

I still think that the Play off final has hindered us in many ways, and i blame it for a lot of bad judgements by the board and management that came the following years. It was so near, but yet so far, and i think it really affected SL.

In many ways we would probably be in a better position now, if it wasn't for that Play off final. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

To become a solid, entertaining Championship side, that was more likely to finish in the top 10 would suit me over the forseable future.

Never intended it to come over as arrogant, so apologise for that.

I'm basing my feelings purely on the fact that over the past 3 years, i've watched as much live Premier League football as i've watched City. And i know it's not the same, when it's not your own team, but i've found it all rather stale and over hyped...and in most cases too expensive for the entertainment you're witnessing.

In a perfect 'footballing' world i'd love City to gain promotion and do well in the Prem. But imho, it's far from perfect.

I hinted at it in a earlier thread, but can you imagine being a fan of someone like Aston Villa. You're never going to win the league, and not likely to go down. How can you get fired up for that? Because of the money involved, winning promotion and then getting relegated seems to really destabilise a Club.

I really don't think we are stagnating...Perhaps we are trying to run before we can walk. It wasn't that long ago we were playing in League 1 and there are many Clubs in this Division that have been in it for years.

I still think that the Play off final has hindered us in many ways, and i blame it for a lot of bad judgements by the board and management that came the following years. It was so near, but yet so far, and i think it really affected SL.

In many ways we would probably be in a better position now, if it wasn't for that Play off final. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

To become a solid, entertaining Championship side, that was more likely to finish in the top 10 would suit me over the forseable future.

No apology needed spudders, and I agree with the majority of the above, but to ask for entertainment is maybe asking too much in these times of 'fear of faliure'.

I'll see you in the big league, maybe :innocent06: .

Or maybe 'ain't so mad on football' ; we have Rubgy in our veins. But i think your argument is open to much conjecture. Consider the fact that Bristol is of a similar size to Liverpool and Manchester even though both, especially the latter, have grown faster than Bristol in recent decades in terms of their greater urban areas if not the city's themselves which are not that different. You might, therefore, also argue that had Bristol City continued the success of 1908-9 through the ensuing decades we would have an equally illustrious history today. With such success comes the fans. Look also at teams who have built new stadiums; their average gates, by and large, have increased substantially.

In short, the argument we can only cope with 1 team is, i believe, a false one. Norwich is also much smaller than Bristol, about half in fact if we take the city population and not the greater urban area; 388k compared to 198k.

One thing I noticed when I worked in Norwich was all the kids wore Norwich City shirts as well. Walk round any part of Bristol and its your usual Liverpool, Chelski Man Utd shirts. Now what do they do different.

Dont agree, I've been surprised at the amount of City shirts on display the last few weeks and I haven't seen ANY of the prem lot.

Archived