IGNORED

Just Lacking Any Real Determination

craigBCFC

I went down and watched the game today, my season ticket is in the EE but I sat in the Dolman for a change.

We passed the ball around well at times and Albert was the star of the show (Which has been a common theme for a while now)

I just felt that as a team they don't want the ball enough, the lads just seem to run away form the ball carrier which shows me a distinct lack of confidence There were also alot of hopeful clips over the top to Maynard. We played a 4-3-3 with Pitman wide right an Elliott just behind Maynard. Maynard lacked support all match and in the first half especially we never gave him any real quality and with Pitman playing out wide is just a complete waste of time. It got better when Kilkenny and Reid came on but again the never had the movement up top to thread the ball through.

I just want Millen to stamp his mark on this team. Set out how we want to play and buy or target players accordingly. For example Swansea built a foundation under Sousa by saying we want to play "football". They had philosophy of keeping the ball on the floor, the three players upfront were given the freedom to move around and really want the ball.

We just look like a team with a bunch of players that don't really believe or understand their role within the team. Nothing has changed over the last few seasons. We have better quality but no real belief or determination to go after teams and go for the win. We are just waiting for something to happen.

I would seriously admire Millen alot more if he just started again and set in stone how he wants to play and then identify players that are best suited to the way we want to play as a club. Instead we have no one that will put their body on the line to defend properly at corners, we have we had strikers playing as wingers. I would rather us gone out today and played how he wants us to play in the league and lost 4-0 than played like we did today. Anyone can match up to West Brom, but for our development as a team I would rather Millen set us up how we normally play and send the players out to "WIN" the match.

I'm not knocking the team i just want a confidence instilled within the team that we can compete and we can cause teams problems especially at home and hopefully the performance and more importantly the entertainment down the gate will get better.

I'm hopeful for a good season, but I want us to get back to the good points in our first season in the championship, fight, chase the ball down, scrap and have the determination that we won't be beaten and we can compete and beat these teams. I think that something that is certainly lacking from that period to now and i think it was something we were admired for by other teams.

Keith said last week he doesn't favour a particular formation, implying he may chop and change depending on the circumstances. I very much doubt our players are clever enough to be that adaptable and it may be a recipe for confusion. The average English player likes it simple and let's face it ours are pretty average.:disapointed2se:

Well, playing virtually the same side as last season aint going to change anything is it.

Kilkenny in for Johnson with two young lads from league two to sit on the bench.

I feel sorry for Millen having to work with the same players after trying but failing to get some quality into the squad. There's still time, but we're one week away from starting the season with the same chokers as last season and I don't see why there will be any improvement. I suppse we have to hang on until next season when a dozen or so players are out of contract and can be shifted.

Yeah thats true. Its almost seems like the club are waiting for something. Maybe once the stadium is all done and dusted the push for the Premier League will be top priority!

We played some decent football at times, I'm not trying to over analysis pre-season as RR seems to think, but we played a decent side today and I just felt that we really didn't show what we could do. But when it really matters next week I'm sure we will step it up. I'm looking forward to the season and I'm sure Millen will have a new defender brought in by the end of next week!

I wrote on another thread that we shouldn't look to seriously at pre-season games. That's exactly what you've done.

There are many reasons why. Players not wanting to get injured for one.

Sorry, with respect, I dont agree with that...pre season freindlies were always an opportunity for individual players to push for a regular place in the starting line up. The possibility of injury didnt come into the equation... you rolled up your sleeves pushed your chest out and got on with it.. Playing against better teams in higher divisions always made you try harder and play better, and if you didnt take the games against lesser opposition seriously you struggled and so did the team.

I think the fact the original poster touched on is a bigger issue than any lack of ability in many of our squad....... its a lack of confidence brought about by lack of motivation I dont hold with many peoples view that we dont have a good enough squad because we do. We have as good a squad of players as most Championship clubs and better than many.

Its up to Millen to get the best out of each individual at his disposal, Thats why hes got the job. Whether he is capable or not will be confirmed in the next 6 matches, and if we can start with a run of good results, confidence WILL grow and it WILL spread through the team affecting not just individual performances but also that of the Team, Manager, and Coaching Staff

I remember Bert Head telling us once after a run of 6 games without losing " Confidence is 50% of success Effort 50 % and skill 10 %" He always was crap at maths but the funny thing was there was only me and a couple of other players in the Changing room who could actually add up.!

Then again the money was so poor in the 60's &70,s by comparison with much of it made up with win bonuses, You couldnt afford to fail. Contrast that by todays players even in the Championship and pay ( or not being paid ) is no incentive at all.

Totally disagree that there was a lack of determination, from what i seen we had the likes of Wilson and Skuse throwing their body's in left, right and centre. Altogether i thought it was a decent performance and great preperation for the big kick off in a week, with Millen setting his stall out with what his starting 11 will be for next week. I however do believe we are likely to see Stead come in for Pittman and Kilkenny for skuse.

Guest Brislingwood Red

I wrote on another thread that we shouldn't look to seriously at pre-season games. That's exactly what you've done.

There are many reasons why. Players not wanting to get injured for one.

That's bull fella. Once u cross the line for a game, the last thing on ur mind is an injury. U go out there and play the game as you would against any opposition, whether it's a friendly or league game. Does that mean that during the week players sit back and relax during training sessions through risk of an injury???

Pre season games matter. It's breeds a winning mentality or at least a feel good factor if you know your performance was good. People saying these games don't have an affect are our season are wrong. On Aug 6th, confidence isn't just gonna re-appear with the click of a finger. I personally wasn't there today, but I very much doubt players players were holding back with Saturday in mind, if anything they'd be doing more to secure there place. Other than Maynard, Albert, James and Mcallister (only left back) no one else is a shoe in to start!

and I'm sure Millen will have a new defender brought in by the end of next week!

Don't hold your breath, Caulker and Rose didn't arrive until the end of September last season......by then we were down the bottom of the table.

PL teams haven't even thought about confirming their squads yet.

BCAGFC

Guest Red Jordi

Well, playing virtually the same side as last season aint going to change anything is it.

Kilkenny in for Johnson with two young lads from league two to sit on the bench.

I feel sorry for Millen having to work with the same players after trying but failing to get some quality into the squad. There's still time, but we're one week away from starting the season with the same chokers as last season and I don't see why there will be any improvement. I suppse we have to hang on until next season when a dozen or so players are out of contract and can be shifted.

JCR was very good today but what i am struggling to understand is where was he ment to be playing? pitman spent the whole game on the left after millen said he was going to pair him with maynard and jcr was just roaming around playing anywhere! it really frustrates me that pitman is a "fox in the box" but spent all day being the one trying to supply the ball and then stead came on and went straight on the left! we have out & out wingers and out & out strikers so play them in those postions for best results!

Guest Ashton Fred

Cynic, I feel exactly the same. Get this season over with ending mid table or just above. The new ground should be sorted by then, twelve or more players out of contract then time to rebuild and move on.

I didn't go today, I always find pre-season stuff very underwhelming, but it's interesting to hear one person saying Pitman spent all game wide right and somebody else saying he spent all game wide left!! Also good to hear Wilson had a good game, fingers crossed he steers clear of injury, could be a really gem for us.

I didn't go today, I always find pre-season stuff very underwhelming, but it's interesting to hear one person saying Pitman spent all game wide right and somebody else saying he spent all game wide left!! Also good to hear Wilson had a good game, fingers crossed he steers clear of injury, could be a really gem for us.

No sure if the OP watched it in a mirror! But be assured that Pitman was out wide left. Why? :dunno:

And Taylor, when he came on late in the game, was playing wide right.

Totally disagree that there was a lack of determination, from what i seen we had the likes of Wilson and Skuse throwing their body's in left, right and centre. Altogether i thought it was a decent performance and great preperation for the big kick off in a week, with Millen setting his stall out with what his starting 11 will be for next week. I however do believe we are likely to see Stead come in for Pittman and Kilkenny for skuse.

As I understands it Skuse was very good today but not Marw. Would like Kilkenny in starting 11. Kilkenny for Marw or JCR?

Don't hold your breath, Caulker and Rose didn't arrive until the end of September last season......by then we were down the bottom of the table.

PL teams haven't even thought about confirming their squads yet.

BCAGFC

And are not required to until the transfer window closes. Keith may be sitting by a silent phone for a while yet. As it stands, if McAllister is out we will start against Ipswich with 4 centre halves across the back.:disapointed2se:

i kinda figured last season that millen was moving towards a fast counter attacking style, which is fine when we are not in possession. The signing of kilkenny goes with this because it seems he can pick a pass which will help release whoever is running on to the ball.

The problem is if Albert or JCR is having an offday, or the game gets too stretched, because with our defence teams will score against us, and also, you need a good plan B when plan A has gone belly up, and I am not convinved there is a Plan B at the moment.

I agree with this post.

The fact that we lost to a last minute goal from a set piece just reinforces the Groundhog Day feeling.

At the moment we just don't seem to be able to attract the right players. With the same defence that started last season and with Caulker and Spencer not having been replaced I think we will spend the season flirting with relegation and end up mid table at best.

Having been concerned about lack of new defence signings, I thought Wilson was superb today and could be this seasons Caulker - but belong to us

I thought Tchoyi had the beating of Wilson most times to be honest! Can't really blame Wilson though as Tchoyi is absolutely quality... He put in some decent tackles and bashed Tchoyi back a fair bit. Decent game from him.

JCR MoM for me, was very creative and almost made space, Macca was very good as well, worked hard was solid defensively and put in some good passes.

That's bull fella. Once u cross the line for a game, the last thing on ur mind is an injury. U go out there and play the game as you would against any opposition, whether it's a friendly or league game. Does that mean that during the week players sit back and relax during

training sessions through risk of an injury???

Pre season games matter. It's breeds a winning mentality or at least a feel good factor if you know your performance was good. People saying these games don't have

an affect are our season are wrong. On Aug 6th, confidence isn't just gonna re-appear with the click of a finger. I personally wasn't

there today, but I very much doubt players players were holding back with Saturday in mind, if anything they'd be doing more to secure there place. Other than Maynard, Albert, James and Mcallister (only left back)

no one else is a shoe in to start!

RH and KM would have told there players to hold back on challenges. Pre season games are always played at 75%.

That's why Evender Sno looked so great in the Ajax game, nobody was tackling.

We will see the extra 25% next Saturday.

Guest Brislingwood Red

RH and KM would have told there players to hold back on challenges. Pre season games are always played at 75%.

That's why Evender Sno looked so great in the Ajax game, nobody was tackling.

We will see the extra 25% next Saturday.

Disagree. That's how injuries occur.

Archived