IGNORED

Turkish Football

Pickle Rick

I'm currently in turkey and as per usual they have plenty of (fake, but good fake) footy shirts. I'm not interested in English/Spanish/italian shirts so much.

I usually like to get football shirts when on holiday as I've got a healthy collection back at home.

My main point for this post is that I was hoping I could get some help on what Turkish shirt to get. Choices I've seen are the usual:

Fenerbache

Besiktas

Galatasary

And one more (I think)

I know that a Galatasary is a no no based on problems in the past, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure about the other two?!

Do fenerbache and Besiktas have any problems with English/English football? Obviously I don't want to get a shirt Which may be of offense to a lot of people!!

I bought an Antalyaspor shirt for a mate (who also collects foreign shirts) recently, though you'd probably have to be in Antalya for that one...

I think Bursaspor are another biggish team, though a bit behind the main 3 you listed above.

By the way, Galatasaray have their own island ("Galatasaray Island"), which is a kind of man made structure in the middle of the Bosphorus river and can be used by their members. There's bars and space for sunbathing etc. We should think about doing that.

Just last month I spent 2 hours searching around Antalya in 45 degree heat, with a moaning misses in tow, for an Antalyaspor shirt. Couldn't find one and nobody knew where I could get one. Even went to the stadium and couldn't get one. Maybe the new shirt wasn't out at that time. In the end I went to the Fenerium which is the Fenerbahce store in Terra City in Antalya. There I bought the home and third shirt. I also got Alex and 10 on the back of the home shirt which looks very smart.

I don't understand why teams like Manchester United and Liverpool don't put a club shop / megastore in every major city in the country. They would make a fortune.

When I was younger me and my bro were in Turkey and got a Fenerbache ( navy and yellow stripes) and a Trabsonspor ( Villa/west ham style) kits. We then met a local guy called Tamas who owned a bar and he informed us Besiktas were the best team ever so get a Besiktas top!

Just last month I spent 2 hours searching around Antalya in 45 degree heat, with a moaning misses in tow, for an Antalyaspor shirt. Couldn't find one and nobody knew where I could get one. Even went to the stadium and couldn't get one. Maybe the new shirt wasn't out at that time. In the end I went to the Fenerium which is the Fenerbahce store in Terra City in Antalya. There I bought the home and third shirt. I also got Alex and 10 on the back of the home shirt which looks very smart.

I don't understand why teams like Manchester United and Liverpool don't put a club shop / megastore in every major city in the country. They would make a fortune.

The Antalyaspor club shop is on the main road in front of the stadium, a few hundred metres up from the main Old Town entrance. No one spoke English inside, so I'm not sure exactly what shirt I got. Bought a nice Antalyaspor mug as well. Sorry you missed it....

I was in that shop but they didn't have the new shirt. He was trying to tell me that a plain red and white striped puma top was the shirt I was after. Fantastic city, so much going on. Fenerbahce claim that they have the most paying membership holders than any club in the world. It's also pretty common that everyone supports 2 teams. Their local side and one of the big 3.

My favourite foreign shirt is my Club America one I bought in Playa del Carmen.

Some good tips/experiences shared.

I think I'm leaning toward fenerbache away (green two tone horizontal stripes) as it looks nicest.

I may check out the away Besiktas if I see one.

Another reason why I'm favouring the

Fenerbache shirt at the mo is because I play football on mondays and it's White tops v dark/couloured tops.

Besiktas is both!

My fav foreign shirt I own has to be my Roma shirt from 02'.

I love the Fenerbahce top and also know a couple of great guys who support them, so I would recommend theirs. However, weren't there a few Galatasary tops spotted in the Atyeo last season? If so, it might be best to avoid wearing it in there, if you do buy. :D

my close friend is from turkey, massive fener fan, but he admires besiktas alot, besiktas fans are crazy!

this guy in the middle is a besiktas fan, my mate says he is a well respected guy among the fans, every game he gets on the pitch to fire them up. usually takes a microphone to the game and stuff.

world record for loudest atmosphere they also broke the record for the loudest atmosphere at a game.

anyway i would go for a fener or besiktas shirt.

enjoy your time in turkey!

my close friend is from turkey, massive fener fan, but he admires besiktas alot, besiktas fans are crazy!

this guy in the middle is a besiktas fan, my mate says he is a well respected guy among the fans, every game he gets on the pitch to fire them up. usually takes a microphone to the game and stuff.

world record for loudest atmosphere they also broke the record for the loudest atmosphere at a game.

anyway i would go for a fener or besiktas shirt.

enjoy your time in turkey!

I went and got a fenerbache away (royal blue).

£10 (25tl) bargain, can't go wrong. Fits surprisingly well too!

They don't have any of the right size home shirt anywhere in bodrum, gumbet or yalikavak. But the one I got is better I'd say.

I'll have to check the links when I get home back to my laptop.

I bought an Antalyaspor shirt for a mate (who also collects foreign shirts) recently, though you'd probably have to be in Antalya for that one...

I think Bursaspor are another biggish team, though a bit behind the main 3 you listed above.

By the way, Galatasaray have their own island ("Galatasaray Island"), which is a kind of man made structure in the middle of the Bosphorus river and can be used by their members. There's bars and space for sunbathing etc. We should think about doing that.

What a nice thought.

May I suggest Flat Holm ?

Is that the team darius vassell signed for?

I don't think so, wasn't it Trabzonspor or Bursapor? I can't remember which.

On the subject of Turkish football, does anyone know why no British player who signs for a Turkish club never seems to last more than 5mins?

Maybe we should ask Alan Walsh I'm sure he at least managed a season didn't he?

Archived