IGNORED

No New Signings.....

Mendip City

This could be a rarity in the modern game but I think we'll start tomorrow with a team of players who were all here last season. Anyone know if/when that last happened?

I guess there's a chance Kilkenny could start but Taylor and Bolasie seem highly unlikely. Obviously, although not our player, Spence was here last season. I'd be surprised if we weren't the only club in the country with no new starters and that might not be such a bad thing.

This could be a rarity in the modern game but I think we'll start tomorrow with a team of players who were all here last season. Anyone know if/when that last happened?

I guess there's a chance Kilkenny could start but Taylor and Bolasie seem highly unlikely. Obviously, although not our player, Spence was here last season. I'd be surprised if we weren't the only club in the country with no new starters and that might not be such a bad thing.

Spurs...

But yeah, could well happen, there's probably one or two other clubs in the same position.

Well, the team that played the played the last 30 games would have finished about 10th, plus we have possibly the best striker in the division back.

So I don't share your pessimism.

That was with caulker.

How did we fair before he signed? Nuff said!

That was with caulker.

Caulker was class there's no denying that. But With Maynard we will score more goals.

I'm confident that defensive'ly we will be ok,I would like to see someone like Skuse playing a deep role and shielding the back 4 though, most decent sides do that.

Intact I read that the last 8 teams in the World cup all played with 2 holding midfielders.

That was with caulker.

We also had a poor run at the end of the season when he got injured and this was even when Maynard was playing. Losing 4-2 at Barnsley was a class example of how we had the firepower but the defence was a shambles. I can't see any change from this.

We also had a poor run at the end of the season when he got injured and this was even when Maynard was playing. Losing 4-2 at Barnsley was a class example of how we had the firepower but the defence was a shambles. I can't see any change from this.

Strange then that we won 8 and drew 1 of our last 14 games last season!

If that's a bad run I will settle for more bad runs this season.

Strange then that we won 8 and drew 1 of our last 14 games last season!

If that's a bad run I will settle for more bad runs this season.

Caulker left us when we were in good form and confident. The pressure was also off because we had pulled away from the relegation battle.

No great surprise, we have far too many fringe players on high wages cluttering up the squad. Nobody else was likely to take them off our hands, so KM had little room to bring in new players. We're nowhere near good enough to challenge at the top, but should be just about good enough to stay clear of trouble. I thought it was pretty obvious that this season would be no more than a consolidation season as contracts run down, and the re-building starts next summer.

Caulker was class there's no denying that. But With Maynard we will score more goals.

I'm confident that defensive'ly we will be ok,I would like to see someone like Skuse playing a deep role and shielding the back 4 though, most decent sides do that.

Intact I read that the last 8 teams in the World cup all played with 2 holding midfielders.

Yet Keith clearly doesn't think so as he still wants a centre half and left back. Having somebody shield the defence does not for instance cure Keith's biggest bugbear, our inability to defend crosses, especially set pieces. He is clearly fed up of defenders losing their man and allowing free headers and shots. While he is now trying to dress it up as a shortage of numbers (clearly not true of centre halves though true at left back) it seems he is not satisfied with the quality he has.I expect him to get 2 more in before the deadline or shortly after with any loan signings.

You seem to forget when Caulker left us what the runs was like after that.

One I remember was the terrible 5 game run just before the two wins at the end of the season.

Barnsley (A) - lost 2-4

Millwall (A) -drew 0-0

Ipswich (H) - lost 0-1

Sheff. U. (A) - lost 2-3

Forest (H) - lost 2-3

Very poor defensively, and without a Caulker replacement of similar stature it's hard to see how our defence will cope much better now.

On a separate note, the two wins afterwards in fairly meaningless games which meant we could finish the season on a relative high were, of course, achieved without Maynard on the pitch.

Caulker left us when we were in good form and confident. The pressure was also off because we had pulled away from the relegation battle.

Strange that when I say we won 8 out of 14 you still want to find something wrong with it. No buts, its an actual fact can't you accept it, or perhaps you don't want to.

There's others on here as well, the same old few that if we win 5-0 they want to find something wrong.

I give up trying to be positive, were doomed, it's Relegation again.............,,,,,

Just before that run, we won 6 out of 7 which got people on here over excited and talking of the playoffs.

Incidentally, the 8 games we had without Caulker produced 4 clean sheets but we conceded 11 goals in the other 4 with 10 of them in 3 games. We also had 4 different centre back pairings in those 8 games with Carey being rushed back for the Forest game when he clearly wasn't up to it.

Anything can be read into those stats, but the main thing is it illustrates just how inconsistent these players are and we'll have the same players out there today and going into the season....

Exactly, I was highlighting that particular run because it seemed to have been overlooked by some other posters, and indeed we are likely to field the same players today.

Anyway this morning is the one time of the season when we must allow optimism for the coming season to over ride any concerns.

The one thing we know for certain about BCFC is absolutely anything can happen, so let's just get right behind the team, hope things go our way and we end up with an opening game to remember.yes.gifcity.gif

Just before that run, we won 6 out of 7 which got people on here over excited and talking of the playoffs.

Incidentally, the 8 games we had without Caulker produced 4 clean sheets but we conceded 11 goals in the other 4 with 10 of them in 3 games. We also had 4 different centre back pairings in those 8 games with Carey being rushed back for the Forest game when he clearly wasn't up to it.

Anything can be read into those stats, but the main thing is it illustrates just how inconsistent these players are and we'll have the same players out there today and going into the season....

That is a point Keith has made and one of the reasons he wanted to bring in defenders. We had good and bad patches ( and some very bad patches) but seemed to pick and choose when we could be assed to put in a shift. As Keith hasn't (yet) brought in what he wants those players have a chance to prove they can be consistent; perhaps their last chance.

Strange that when I say we won 8 out of 14 you still want to find something wrong with it. No buts, its an actual fact can't you accept it, or perhaps you don't want to.

There's others on here as well, the same old few that if we win 5-0 they want to find something wrong.

I give up trying to be positive, were doomed, it's Relegation again.............,,,,,

You totally missed the point though. After we lost Caulker our run was mediocre to poor.

Good for being positive but being realistic unless he is replaced we will be shipping goals left right and centre.

I think there are a number of people on here who would be very happy if we lost 4-3 today just so they're proven right and can come on here and gloat. While they ain't caulker, we didn't have wilson or spence in defence at the start of last season so i would suggest we're better off than we were this time last year

Archived