IGNORED

Maybe We Are Harsh On The Midfielders

Devereux

I say this as on today's evidence they are not given the chance to be creative because the ball is always in the air over their heads.

There is just so much wrong with the way we played today, it's the tactics to blame though as much as the players.

1) When u have pace and power up front (Nicky and Stead), it is always tempting to hoof it up, but this must be done in the right way. Our defenders are not our best passers so why are they always the ones putting in the final ball? The CMs should come deep and work some triangles to create space to then put in the final ball. Them coming deep will create more space. What we did today was ugly.

2) there was no intelligence in our play, particularly from Tangs. I spotted at least 3 occasions when Macca was completely free on the left and would have had a 2 on 1. All it needed was a very simple square ball...nothing too taxing. Tangs didn't even look, his head was down, he hoofed it forward and we lost possession.

3) I know alot of people seem to thing u need a direct option to get out of this league, but most of the teams that get promoted play good football. We need to do the same.

I thought JCR had a decent game today. Skuse was tidy. Marv committed.

Worryingly Maynard seemed a bit back on his heals.

Oh and finally, Kilkenny was dropping deep, demanding the ball and trying to play it simple. Not enough to judge how good he can be for us. But that is the sort of thing we need.

I say this as on today's evidence they are not given the chance to be creative because the ball is always in the air over their heads.

There is just so much wrong with the way we played today, it's the tactics to blame though as much as the players.

1) When u have pace and power up front (Nicky and Stead), it is always tempting to hoof it up, but this must be done in the right way. Our defenders are not our best passers so why are they always the ones putting in the final ball? The CMs should come deep and work some triangles to create space to then put in the final ball. Them coming deep will create more space. What we did today was ugly.

2) there was no intelligence in our play, particularly from Tangs. I spotted at least 3 occasions when Macca was completely free on the left and would have had a 2 on 1. All it needed was a very simple square ball...nothing too taxing. Tangs didn't even look, his head was down, he hoofed it forward and we lost possession.

3) I know alot of people seem to thing u need a direct option to get out of this league, but most of the teams that get promoted play good football. We need to do the same.

I thought JCR had a decent game today. Skuse was tidy. Marv committed.

Worryingly Maynard seemed a bit back on his heals.

Oh and finally, Kilkenny was dropping deep, demanding the ball and trying to play it simple. Not enough to judge how good he can be for us. But that is the sort of thing we need.

if only we had a top coach who could sort these problems out.

Yes, I thought we played a lot of "direct" football today, particularly in the second half.

Having said that, Maynard was guilty of not showing for the midfielders when they did get the ball. Several times Skuse, JCR and Elliott had to pass sideways or backwards, or were caught in possession because nobody was showing up front, though Stead, as usual, ran his socks off and yet was replaced while Maynard was taking an afternoon stroll!

If defenders continuously keep receiving the ball from our midfield, they'll simply start hoofing it upfield in frustration.

I have to say that, on today's showing, if Elliott had the same quality in his accuracy and calmness in his attempts at goal as he obviously does in the quality of his workrate and perseverance, it is he who we would be talking about in terms of being rated at £5m, not Maynard. He was my man of the match - for what it's worth - today. Only he, Stead and JCR came out of the game with any credit today - the rest, including their manager, need to hang their heads in shame as they got their wages under false pretences today.

Yes, I thought we played a lot of "direct" football today, particularly in the second half.

Having said that, Maynard was guilty of not showing for the midfielders when they did get the ball. Several times Skuse, JCR and Elliott had to pass sideways or backwards, or were caught in possession because nobody was showing up front, though Stead, as usual, ran his socks off and yet was replaced while Maynard was taking an afternoon stroll!

If defenders continuously keep receiving the ball from our midfield, they'll simply start hoofing it upfield in frustration.

I have to say that, on today's showing, if Elliott had the same quality in his accuracy and calmness in his attempts at goal as he obviously does in the quality of his workrate and perseverance, it is he who we would be talking about in terms of being rated at £5m, not Maynard. He was my man of the match - for what it's worth - today. Only he, Stead and JCR came out of the game with any credit today - the rest, including their manager, need to hang their heads in shame as they got their wages under false pretences today.

Then the manager should have replaced Maynard or perhaps put him on the left wing, which seems to be constant theme with Millen.

The midfield were hardly given a chance considering the ball was knocked over their heads to the mighty tall Nicky Maynard.

Kilkenny looked tidy, thought Marv looked good in the tackle . . but then passed it back to Tangs and Fonts and woooooooooooooooooooooooosh.

If you saw highlights of the brighton donny game for example, you would have seen defence splitting passes from midfield, midfielders running beyond the last defender, midfielders running with the ball and taking people on, pace power and accurate passing etc.....

We have seen very little of that (bar albert) in the last few years, skuse, marv, johnson, JCR, have all continuously showed the same type of plodding, one paced backwards and sideways safety first football season after season, until that changes we will continue to be a boring team to watch that is easy to defend against.

I don't think Maynard should ever drop deep. He has huge pace and skill and is our best finisher, he should always be on the last shoulder (like Chopra!) looking to get in behind. That is what gives the defenders a big headache. At times both him and Stead dropped deep which just limited the space in an already packed midfield.

The other thing that disappointed was that Maynard was not close enough to Stead when the ball did get lumped up to him. So when we did win the long ball we didn't pick up the pieces. If we do persist in the direct route, we should at least try and get it right!

If you saw highlights of the brighton donny game for example, you would have seen defence splitting passes from midfield, midfielders running beyond the last defender, midfielders running with the ball and taking people on, pace power and accurate passing etc.....

We have seen very little of that (bar albert) in the last few years, skuse, marv, johnson, JCR, have all continuously showed the same type of plodding, one paced backwards and sideways safety first football season after season, until that changes we will continue to be a boring team to watch that is easy to defend against.

Hmm, passing backwards has its uses- better to pass sideways or backwards if an opening isn't instantly available than to play a quick ball forward and give away possession cheaply.

The other thing that disappointed was that Maynard was not close enough to Stead when the ball did get lumped up to him. So when we did win the long ball we didn't pick up the pieces. If we do persist in the direct route, we should at least try and get it right!

This really struck me too, they actually looked like they'd never played together. You would have thought by now they'd know each others game wouldn't you!

Don't they ever practice?

Hmm, passing backwards has its uses- better to pass sideways or backwards if an opening isn't instantly available than to play a quick ball forward and give away possession cheaply.

Yes, granted obviously it does, but if you don't at least try and pass forward, or run forward with the ball, how the hell will you ever create a chance! I would rather see the midfielders try to play decent through balls and it come to nothing than see 5 or 6 backwards and sideways passes before it just gets lumped aimlessly forward anyway, with the ball coming straight back!

We just have no pattern to our play, its like we don't have a clue what to do with the ball, and that has been the way since the end of Johnsons reign, it is starting to wear a bit thin....

The problem is that our centre midfield pass back or sideways on nearly every occasion. If defenders know that if they pass the ball into midfield it is going to be returned to them they are going to hit it long. We need midfield players who have the ability to shield the ball, turn and pass it forward.

The problem is that our centre midfield pass back or sideways on nearly every occasion. If defenders know that if they pass the ball into midfield it is going to be returned to them they are going to hit it long. We need midfield players who have the ability to shield the ball, turn and pass it forward.

Agree with this and the post above really. Like I say passes backwards or sideways aren't to be written off entirely but eventually that clever ball forward needs to be forthcoming. Maybe Kilkenny will provide this, or Reid?

When was the last time you saw a City forward with his back to goal, then come to collect and receive the ball, creating space behind him...?

It doesn't happen. City forwards play high up, on the last defenders shoulder, half turned looking to run forward, to collect a ball over the top or down the channel.

This is infuriating for defenders and midfielders alike. It gives them very little option for a decent pass. Our forwards are very static imho, and very rarely collect, or run diagonally. Some of them need a lesson in geomatry. Football is all about angles, and it is so difficult to provide a pass if they are standing at 90 degrees ahead of you.

Our defenders often look poor in their distribution, and hoof the ball as they are being closed down, because the forwards and midfield do not move into the right spaces to receive the ball.

Even at a simple throw in, they turn their backs and there is very little movement.

On Saturday, Kilkenny came on and gave a masterclass in movement and how to create angles to receive a ball, even if he had to come deep to do it. By doing this, it drew the opposition forward and created space for the midfield to receive the ball. Simple stuff really, but something i've noticed City can't do for years.

JCR is a perfect example, wherever he is, he feels the need to dribble or go on some crazy mazy run, like a wasp in a jar, going nowhere, with no end product...pass the friggin ball first time you idiot...so frustrating. Someone please tell me what he actually brings to our midfield.I just can't see it.

Archived