IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

Pete1975Legend

Its always hard to know how much of any qouted transfer fee is based on add ons or not. However, I got the impression that Leicester's quoted £4+m included the add ons (one of which depended on them getting promoted) - if this story is true then it's £4m plus the add ons. Significantly more.

And hopefully we wouldn't pay anyone £25K per week, given the state of our finances.

Somebody in the club should give Pulis a call & say 5 mill & maynards his, that way maynard get to go to prem,we dont sell to championship rival.

We know stoke are in the hunt for strikers as he's been after carlton cole all summer.

But perhaps there's a reason why no prem clubs have made a bid for him. I'm a great NM fan, and think he's a very good Championship striker. But I can remember when we had Andy Cole, and just knew that we had a player who could make it at the very top, and who would play for England, and I'm afraid I'm just not as convined that I see that in NM. It's always hard to pinpoint things with strikers, but its just things like the way he drifts out of games and ceases to be a threat for long periods, the ease with which really good defenders can deny him space. I'm not sure just what it is but I just don't get the same sense with NM and I did with Cole. Plus, I still wonder if there's a ?? over his knee. I reckon he need a full season to prove that the injury isn't going to recur - and sadly from City's point of view that a season we can't afford.

WHY WOULD WE OFFLOAD HIM?!?! Maynard is our best striker, and one of the best strikers in the league. I would rather keep hold of him and let him leave on a free than play Jon '1 touch too many' Stead, produce nothing, and get relegated. We don't necessarily need the money for defenders. A back four of Spence Wilson Fontaine Nyatanga would do.

But perhaps there's a reason why no prem clubs have made a bid for him. I'm a great NM fan, and think he's a very good Championship striker. But I can remember when we had Andy Cole, and just knew that we had a player who could make it at the very top, and who would play for England, and I'm afraid I'm just not as convined that I see that in NM. It's always hard to pinpoint things with strikers, but its just things like the way he drifts out of games and ceases to be a threat for long periods, the ease with which really good defenders can deny him space. I'm not sure just what it is but I just don't get the same sense with NM and I did with Cole. Plus, I still wonder if there's a ?? over his knee. I reckon he need a full season to prove that the injury isn't going to recur - and sadly from City's point of view that a season we can't afford.

Like any pulis signing they will need to be 6ft plus so you can count out maynard.

Clueless has been in for Carlton Cole and Cameron Jerome all summer and will be amazed if Maynard is even on his hit list.

Maynard is not the type of striker Stoke are currently looking for.

Sorry i was supposed to reply to the fella who you did. I agree though with what your saying. IMO Maynard is not at the same standard Andrew Cole was at when he was here and Maynard's 3 yrs older.

WHY WOULD WE OFFLOAD HIM?!?! Maynard is our best striker, and one of the best strikers in the league. I would rather keep hold of him and let him leave on a free than play Jon '1 touch too many' Stead, produce nothing, and get relegated. We don't necessarily need the money for defenders. A back four of Spence Wilson Fontaine Nyatanga would do.

Maynard played as if he dosen't want to be here yesterday and the back 4 you mentioned is nowhere near good enough and never will be.

Not sure we can afford to keep him. The squad needs strengthening in a number of areas, and if we don't address those, then NM's goals won't save us. It's a gamble either way, and may hinge on whether NM is really happy to play for a struggling Championship side at this stage of his career. As for West Ham or Leicester being rivals, I think that yesterdays evidence suggest that we won't be competing at the same end of the League as them!

Spence Wilson Fontaine Nyatanga ?!!

Ummm. No.

Maynard played as if he dosen't want to be here yesterday and the back 4 you mentioned is nowhere near good enough and never will be.

Is that the Maynard who was going to give 110% regardless? The club is allowing him to take the piss and a strong manager would consign him to the reserves until he signed or left. Of course we don't have a strong manager so no doubt Maynard will continue to do as he pleases.

Well clearly if Maynard went Pitman would play alongside Stead and that would be an excellent strike force at this level. Stead was significantly better than Maynard yesterday and had a very good first season so why you seem to think he's shit I really don't know. Are you seriously suggesting without Maynard we'll produce nothing? You are aware that he's a striker and not a creative player I assume?

What I mean is Nyatanga at left back would be a better option than McAllister, and James Wilson has shown a lot of potential so it is worth a try.

Do you honestly believe Maynard didn't try hard? Its called having a bad game. In that case we should sell at least 8 of the starting 11, because Maynard did more than most of the others.

With Maynard we have more chance of scoring goals, which in turn means more chance of staying up. I don't know how you think he is better than Stead. Yes, Stead tries hard, but he did nothing yesterday. I don't even think he had a shot did he?

Is that the Maynard who was going to give 110% regardless? The club is allowing him to take the piss and a strong manager would consign him to the reserves until he signed or left. Of course we don't have a strong manager so no doubt Maynard will continue to do as he pleases.

Absolutely. This has gone on for far too long. Surely at this point the club and the supporters need an answer.

Are you signing or do you want away? We can't allow this to go on until the last day of the window. If he leaves we need time to sort out deals with the money we make.

What I mean is Nyatanga at left back would be a better option than McAllister, and James Wilson has shown a lot of potential so it is worth a try.

Do you honestly believe Maynard didn't try hard? Its called having a bad game. In that case we should sell at least 8 of the starting 11, because Maynard did more than most of the others.

With Maynard we have more chance of scoring goals, which in turn means more chance of staying up. I don't know how you think he is better than Stead. Yes, Stead tries hard, but he did nothing yesterday. I don't even think he had a shot did he?

You appear to be making things up. When did I say Stead was better than Maynard? I said Stead has been a very good player for us and was a lot better than Maynard yesterday. To suggest Stead offers us nothing is ridiculous. I haven't once said Maynard didn't try yesterday either so I don't know where you've got that from. However, Stead clearly played better than Maynard yesterday, only a fool would argue otherwise. He constantly looked for the ball, made himself available and looked to bring others into play. Maynard's movement was poor, his first touch let him down on several occasions and he did not make himself available as much as Stead.

I apologise, what I meant was I don't see how you thought Stead was better than Maynard yesterday, not overall. And I also meant Stead offered nothing yesterday.

I picked up on his work rate, but it reminded me of the situation we had with Sproule. He tried hard, but made nothing from his efforts. He took too many touches when he didn't need to, and therefore missed opportunities to create chances.

How did Maynard not try?! He didn't play well, that is all. Just because his movement was poor he still tried. He scored but it was offside, and was unlucky not to score another.

On yesterdays performance I'd rather have Chopra than Maynard. But then Chopra wasn't expected to defend corners and track back to his own penalty area leaving no-one upfield. He just sits on the shoulder of the last defender and waits for the ball to come to him. We seem to want workhorses instead of goal poachers up front for us. Maynard was way off his game yesterday for whatever reason and on that form he can't be kept in the side regardless. We must play our players in their natural positions to get the best out of them. Thats not happening at the moment and hasn't happened under Millen. Draw your own conclusions.

I apologise, what I meant was I don't see how you thought Stead was better than Maynard yesterday, not overall. And I also meant Stead offered nothing yesterday.

I picked up on his work rate, but it reminded me of the situation we had with Sproule. He tried hard, but made nothing from his efforts. He took too many touches when he didn't need to, and therefore missed opportunities to create chances.

How did Maynard not try?! He didn't play well, that is all. Just because his movement was poor he still tried. He scored but it was offside, and was unlucky not to score another.

I haven't said Maynard didn't try once! You say Stead took too many touches but Maynard's first touch was appalling yesterday. I'm amazed you think Maynard was better than Stead yesterday, I really am. You say he was unlucky not to score...what does that even mean?! Please tell me why he was unlucky not to score. He didn't even get close bar his clearly offside goal.

We have to sell, we have little choice.....if we beleive (and I have no reason not to) what we are told we have to sell before we can buy. He hasn't and I don't beleive will sign a new contract and we cannot wait till January or worse let his contract run out. We need a major overhall of the defensive unit as an immidiate priority. This should have been done in the summer, I know that comment is bloody obvious, but Millen is quoted as saying he wanted the Maynard situation sorted before the end of the season, three month slatter we are still in limbo. This needs to be sorted NOW!!!

The major question for the board is do you want Millen to spend the cash?

Archived