IGNORED

Golf Playing City Fans Please Advise

San Fran City

Hi chaps,

I've been playing a few years now and am in the process of looking at clubs to get a membership with. I live in North West Bristol but would be prepared to look at most clubs within a 10-15 mile radius. I have recently been playing Thornbury (everyday for the past 3 weeks during the summer hols) and card between 13-17 over with the ocassional 92-100!. Whilst I like the club and course it does seem to be a little basic having had the odd round at the likes of The Kendleshire, The Bristol and Henbury. Having said that, the members of Thornbury I have chanced upon whilst playing all seem to be a very down to earth and a very helpful lot in comparrison. I aim to put my cards in for my handicap upon joining a club within a week. I have identified a club that I think I would like to join but would appreciate any forum members input into my thinking. None of my mates in Bristol play golf at all so any advice a bonus!

Cheers,

SFC.

Henbury is a good course and I think they have good membeyirship prices at the moment . I used to be a member at knowle but gave it up when I got a season ticket. The only thing I would say about joining a club is that you have to play that course all the time to justify the fee. I just play woodspring, stockwood, woodlands now as you can play for approx £20. Most memberships are about £600-700 and you have to play a lot to get your moneys worth

• Admin

Just taken up the game myself and joined The Bristol although the consensus appears to be that its one of the trickier courses.

Like you I don't know many folders in Bristol so if you fancy a round some time to test the course, get in touch. I think the green fee is just £15 with a member.

Chipping Sodbury is my favourite, for overall facilities, course and great members.

I think i've played every course around Bristol. There are some great courses, however if you have no mates to play with, i would recommend somewhere where you feel welcome and can get a game.

Some of the Clubs have too many 'Oldies' clogging up the course, who have been there for years, practically live there, and think it's their devine right to rule the course. So be careful to avoid those...Salford is the worst for that imho.

Kendleshire and the Players Club also have good courses and facilities.

Knowle, Henbury, Long Ashton are very traditional, but well maintained...unfortunately a bit stuffy.

Be sure to play Burnham for a real test of Golf.

Great game...Enjoy. ;)

As a member of Chipping Sodbury I can recommend the course. The members are very welcoming and one of the golf Pro's is a good friend of Millies, who I met up there the other month. Unfortunately the travelling from Brentry is too far to play that often, so I am hoping to change my membership to The Bristol which at the moment has a pretty good deal on. Full membership a three year rate plus first month free.

I play at henbury and its good. About £800 a year with a £300 joining fee so not great £ wise. Kendleshire is good but gets clogged up wiv alot of society days. The bristol is decent but certainly not tricky, apart from the walk up the mountain to the 18th tee!! Sodbury do a good deal i think where approx £300 gets u a years golf, but only 15 rounds. If u dont play alot its not bad, if u plan to play more than that u hav to pay a reduced green fee for every round after the 15 u pay for in your £300. Long ashton n bristol and clifton are decent, but not cheap. Shirehampton does a deal similar to sodbury. Other than that there is knowle, thornbury etc. U hav plenty to choose from anyway!! And dont choose burnham for a test, its only a test if its blowin a gale!!

For where you are there's Henbury, which is lovely, maybe Shirehampton which is nice but a bit cramped and Filton which no-one has mentioned. I play Filton fairly regularly and its a tough course especially if you're used to Thornbury. In a similar vein to Thornbury I've heard good things about Woodlands which would be close for you too. I thought The Bristol was ok needs time. Tracy Park, or whatever its called now, is good value but wrong side of town and my personal favourite is Long Ashton

I wouldn't bother joining a club just yet. Most clubs in Bristol accept 2 Fore 1 vouchers, so if you can get a mate to play with you can play almost any course for an average of £15 - £20 a time. Get your feel for the courses and then, if you like somewhere in particular and if you play enough to justify the membership fee, go for it.

By doing this you can play Knowle, The Bristol, Woodlands, Thornbury, Stockwood, Long Ashton, The Players, Bristol & Clifton, Henbury, Chipping Sodbury, Filton, Shirehampton, Kendleshire, Tallpines, Saltford, Woodspring. Lots of choice there.

Hi chaps,

I've been playing a few years now and am in the process of looking at clubs to get a membership with. I live in North West Bristol but would be prepared to look at most clubs within a 10-15 mile radius. I have recently been playing Thornbury (everyday for the past 3 weeks during the summer hols) and card between 13-17 over with the ocassional 92-100!. Whilst I like the club and course it does seem to be a little basic having had the odd round at the likes of The Kendleshire, The Bristol and Henbury. Having said that, the members of Thornbury I have chanced upon whilst playing all seem to be a very down to earth and a very helpful lot in comparrison. I aim to put my cards in for my handicap upon joining a club within a week. I have identified a club that I think I would like to join but would appreciate any forum members input into my thinking. None of my mates in Bristol play golf at all so any advice a bonus!

Cheers,

SFC.

Here's one I met on Shirehampton golf course....she taught me all I know about golf....not a lot......except how to get a 'hole in one' :laughcont: ......

golfca.jpg

The best piece of advice I was ever given was to join one of the courses nearest to where you live or work. You will be more likely to be able to get the best value for your membership that way - particularly in terms of squeezing a round / half round in on busier days / mornings / evenings. I would say you should looking at 20 mins travelling as a maximium.

Hi chaps,

Cheers,

SFC.

Best deal and best course is the Players at Coddrington. www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Got some really good deals on as well and i think they have waved the joining on fee

I've played them all and they all have something to offer. The more traditional "clubs" - LA, B&C, henbury are steeped in tradition and a little stuffy with ageing memberships but great courses. The Bristol, Kendy, the Park - expect societies and weddings all the time, they are all about the coin so lack a bit of soul. I'm a member at The Players so totally biased but I genuinely think it offers the best test of golf, best condition, good availability all year round plus it does 4 different types of membership!

Archived