IGNORED

David James The Manager ?

Ashton1

Hmm but mourhino was an interpetator, can't say he is not a good manager, he never played football at any worthwhile level. It's your brain and man management style that makes a manager, not your position

I'm sure David James would have enough contacts within the game so as to exploit the loan market or sign fringe players good enough for this level whilst not being in a Prem teams plans. With his intellect and knowledge of the game I'm sure he'd make an excellent manager. But you'd have to look at him in a different light forgetting his playing career and concentrating on his managerial and man management skills. I don't see him as the animated, screaming type on the touchline, which wouldn't endear him to some on here who believe passion is yelling four letter words as loud as they can. If he does ever enter management I will follow his career with interest.

Hmm but mourhino was an interpetator, can't say he is not a good manager, he never played football at any worthwhile level. It's your brain and man management style that makes a manager, not your position

Current Southampton manager Nigel Atkins was a goalkeeper, and then a physio for many years before becoming a manager

Not so ridiculous compared the £20,000+ a week we are paying him to keep the goals out.

While it isn't that much I agree that it is ridiculous that our 41 year old goalkeeper is the highest earner at the Club and we have lost an excellent young goalkeeper merely to keep this man for one more season. That situation is of course absurd.

While it isn't that much I agree that it is ridiculous that our 41 year old goalkeeper is the highest earner at the Club and we have lost an excellent young goalkeeper merely to keep this man for one more season. That situation is of course absurd.

Isn't Henderson behind Jamie Ashdown at the moment. I understand that he is the No.2 keeper. That's pretty much what he'd have been here.

Personally, I do not think that Henderson left due to lack of 1st team action (he'll get just as much at Pompey as he would here) but because he's got a better deal.

No we lost Henderson, cos Millen gave Gerken a 2 year deal!! Thats absurd.

David James is a good keeper - Henderson should now be number 2 here and could have taken over when he retires, probabaly this summer...

But no, were gonna be left with a League One keeper :ranting:

Maybe I'm being unfair - maybe millen is preparing for League One!

Isn't Henderson behind Jamie Ashdown at the moment. I understand that he is the No.2 keeper. That's pretty much what he'd have been here.

Personally, I do not think that Henderson left due to lack of 1st team action (he'll get just as much at Pompey as he would here) but because he's got a better deal.

What I'm saying is we sacrificed a good young keeper to keep a 41 year old for a year. The fact he's been shit so far this season of course makes it seem worse but even if he was playing very well it represents a poor move on the Club's part with seemingly no thought for the future. Consider the money spent on having James here for a year and it is now obvious just how bad a move it was bringing him in.

No we lost Henderson, cos Millen gave Gerken a 2 year deal!! Thats absurd.

David James is a good keeper - Henderson should now be number 2 here and could have taken over when he retires, probabaly this summer...

But no, were gonna be left with a League One keeper :ranting:

Maybe I'm being unfair - maybe millen is preparing for League One!

WHEN WILL PEOPLE REALISE THAT NO KEEPER IN THE WORLD WOULD BE ANY GOOD IF YOU HAD TO BE BEHIND THAT BAG OF CRAP IN FRONT OF YOU.

Further highlighted that James was the top shot stopper in the Championship last season, blaming James for this inept team is just Ridiculous!!!

Gentlemen you have between you hit the nail on the proverbial head

Gentlemen you have between you hit the nail on the proverbial head

Trouble was James was signed when we had Coppell and were making a push for promotion. I firmly believe he was signed to be a good keeper but mainly as a flagship signing to encourage more players and get the profile of the club up. Obviously Coppell left and the board have decided to wait until the stadium is built before investing. The fact is James had the extension clause in his contract when Coppell was here, which he activated. So we are left with a decent (if sometimes prone to mistakes), high profile keeper who is surrounded, for the most part, by mediocrity.

I must admit I had room for this thought the other day. It makes sense on one level - very intelligent bloke, big name, plenty of contacts within the game, more media coverage and so on.

On the other hand, leadership qualities perhaps unproven, and as someone else said on here, you don't get too many ex-goalies becoming successful in management, in fact I can't think of any at all.

This could perhaps be due in part to the fact that keepers' careers tend to go on for longer, so at the age when other players are thinking of coaching badges and making the first move into management, they are still playing. Then when they retire they are a few years behind the curve of their peers so maybe they get overlooked.

So, I don't think the goalie argument alone disqualifies Jamesey but it needs to be considered.

More to the point I think is the argument about being promoted over your mates (or former colleagues). There is a long and inglorious tradition of this not working in football, the classic example most of us can remember would be Brian Tinnion, his reputation as an all time great player (and initially at least a reasonable manager who gave Lita a chance early on) unfortunately overshadowed by that disastrous few games culminating in the Swansea game ... Elsewhere, Attilio Lombardo, while a great player for Palace, didn't really have much of a clue when it came to managing.

Then again ... the one counter-example everyone always points to is Kenny Dalglish ... who knows ? I can't help thinking it would be a bad idea in the end though.

I for one wouldn't make David James Manager, that is if it was decided to dispense with KM.

We need a complete revamp: New Manager completely new coaching staff get rid of everyone who has had a comfortable life with BCFC so Promoting from within would be a total waste of time get rid and start again not sure who with but someone who will kick a** as and when it is needed.

West Ham have Sam but certainly someone in the same Ilk.

WHEN WILL PEOPLE REALISE THAT NO KEEPER IN THE WORLD WOULD BE ANY GOOD IF YOU HAD TO BE BEHIND THAT BAG OF CRAP IN FRONT OF YOU.

Further highlighted that James was the top shot stopper in the Championship last season, blaming James for this inept team is just Ridiculous!!!

:laugh: That says everything about the defence..

No James is finished and has been for some time..his reaction times are getting slower he never was the bravest of keepers and he is even more inclined to look after himself and his Model looks these days.

I am convinced the back four, subconciously during the game, rely too heavily on his past reputation and have this " we got DJ in goal, we will be alright" attitude.

Im afraid its never easy telling a professional of his former standing that hes now an Ex but it has got to be done and sooner rather than later.

You could put up with a less than effective defence if you had a decent goalkeeper behind them, but hes not even that anymore. I think probably Cheltenham or Forest Green is perhaps his level now.

Im confident a change of personel in the No 1 shirt would show a dramatic improvement in the City Defence.

All said and done David James Ex England Goalie should not be concedeing 6 goals in two games...even with four, blind, one legged muppets in front of him.

I cannot believe also, what with his financial security, his commitments to JPG and stability in an area where he lives and loves, he really has the hunger and passion for the job these days.... He might like playing but we all do.

Dont shoot the messenger, but heard David James is dropped for tomorrow nights game and Brett pitman and Cisse have put in transfer requests???????

James hasn't been dropped. He's picking the team, Millen will be our dominant centre back. Don't blame me if it doesn't happen though. It's just what I've been told.

[banter jeffhead - no offence)

Dont shoot the messenger, but heard David James is dropped for tomorrow nights game and Brett pitman and Cisse have put in transfer requests???????

I would have thought that if DJ was going to be dropped it would have been after the Ipswich game, but I wouldn't be that surprised if he was going to give Gerken a chance. I can't see Pitman handing in a transfer request. Cisse, maybe.

How reliable is your source?

Archived