IGNORED

The Price Of Those 3 Points Last Night...?

Bar BS3

Just a thought for debate....

Of course, we are all thrilled with a fantastic result last night, against all the odds. However, has the prominent role of Maynards performance and the subsiquent press coverage, all but sealed him a transfer to one of the Prem's smaller clubs who think he is worth a put?

In turn, will this unlimitely spell relegation for us?? (That is not a pesemistic view, it's just a question.)

I know we have Pittman, Stead etc, but NM really is a class apart from anyone else we have, or, are likely to get in a hurry.

The lack of goals that can be created from nothing would be a massive loss and could well leave us with a real shortage of pace and real consistant fire power.

Obviously people were aware what NM could do before last night, but possibly the timing of that performance could not have been any worse, as far as the outcome of our season is concerned!

If anything it could be a blessing in disguise that Nicky is firmly putting himself in the shop window with less than 2 weeks before the transfer window slams shut. Especially if there are no funds to bring in a left back and a commanding central defender which we are crying out for, unless we raise cash by selling some players.

Hopefully the three goals he has scored in the last two games has piqued the interest of several prem teams and a nice chunky offer lands on Colin's desk soon.

Yes of course we would miss him, of that there is no doubt. But to lose him for nothing next summer doesn't even bear thinking about.

We will see in May. We have 7 more games till we know roughly where we stand in the league. Must focus on Pompy now and try to get another 3 pts

As for Maynard, we knew how good he is, and we knew the Prem fish would come sniffing about to see what the commotion is about.

For me it was more about the unity displayed fromthe player on the pitch, and all this without Fonts and Carey, our defence is not as weak as we thought.

We will see in May. We have 7 more games till we know roughly where we stand in the league. Must focus on Pompy now and try to get another 3 pts

As for Maynard, we knew how good he is, and we knew the Prem fish would come sniffing about to see what the commotion is about.

For me it was more about the unity displayed fromthe player on the pitch, and all this without Fonts and Carey, our defence is not as weak as we thought.

Don't get fooled into believing that after 1 decent performance. We still have problems that need addressing , 1 win should not mask that fact.

The funny thing is that I still feel that Pitman has attributes that NM doesn't and could score as many if not more goals given time and a run. Maynard scores terrific goals there is no doubt and i will miss his contributions, but I feel that BP reads the game better and anticipates the final pass better. Against Ipswich there were at least 2 occasions where NM ws flat footed and I think that Pitman would have been making his move in those situations. I don't think keeping him is the difference between Promotion or Relegation, but I do think the entertainment factor may drop a notch without some his spectacular efforts.

Whatever happens we take risks:

• Scenario 1: Sell Maynard. In this case we are banking on Stead and Pitman to perform the goods, which they may be able to, but we can all agree losing Maynard's goals is going to be a blow. The money can be used to plough back into the squad; but with a large (but inadequate) squad in the positions we need to strengthen, how easy is this going to be? Terminating Hunt & Stewart's contracts may be the only option, which would potentially take a decent chunk of the pot from any signings plus their incurrent wage. This assumes the players we want to fork out on want to join us, which hasn't been the case more often than not so far this summer.
  • Scenario 2: Keep Maynard. Maynard's goals, as above, will be useful in any area of the league, not matter what we're pushing for. We may not be able to get the players we need defensively this way, although ColinS has come out and said 'the right player at the right price' will be ours, in the process keeping any details of the stringency of this policy fairly vague. Whether goals counterbalances potential signings is an interesting conjecture.

Given the chance, I'd rather keep Maynard. He's a better player than Pitman, but Pitman has youth on his side age wise and in terms of experience at this level. Whether he becomes as good a player is yet to be seen, but IMO Nicky is more consistent and can make his own chances better than BP at present.

No need to panic and spread gloom over the impending departure of Maynard. Sure he's a class act and that stood out very prominently last night. That said City coped well enough without him for most of last season and we have Pitman as a ready replacement for when Maynard goes as he surely will. It seems now that Wigan are preparing a bid and he won't turn down a PL move.

His performances have been impressive in the last two games. Its no co-incidence and he'll be quite aware that he's a sought after player and is taking every opportunity to show what he can do. It would be no surprise to see him score again on Saturday.

Don't get fooled into believing that after 1 decent performance. We still have problems that need addressing , 1 win should not mask that fact.

Indeed there are still problems that just the signing of a strong center back could go a long way to addressing. Unfortunately i think having missed the boat on his targets to date KM may be struggling to find a player that fits that description, is available and wants to come here. those are the 3 criteria that count. Should NM depart before the window closes the chances of getting someone in time are slim at best. Which leaves us with what we have. Nyatanga had a good game last night, Wilson put in a good solid performance. But for another individual misjudgement, this time by Kilkenny, we`d have kept a clean sheet.

The key for me though is that following 2 poor performances the squad can take some confidence from last night and hopefully carry that on to saturday. If they can then there`s every chance we can get something out of the game. Confidence is key here and i believe that if fitness allows KM has to keep faith with the defence that played last night.

PDG

Agree, besides what defenders can we buy that are better than we have? Fonts is proven Nyatanga is improving as will Spence, it's a case of the ''grass is always greener''.

Besides the fee from Nicky will be going where?

Probably enjoying a tax free haven in the sun I expectclosedeyes.gif

Care to expand on that a little.

PDG

Agree, but reassuring to see Wilson and Tanga put in a good performance. What problem area's are you most worried about, centre half, left back or attacking midfield?

Has to be support for Macca, unless Woolford fancies sharpening his studs

No!

If you are suggesting a litlle conspiracy theory that SL is trying to get back his £18m then I think you should voice it fully instead of making glib little asides. £18m is a lot of money for sure, but as it only accounts for about 3% of SL's personal wealth as stated in the Times rich list, and he is already commited to spending twice as much again on the new stadium, I would be interested to know what your argument is based on.

Agree, but reassuring to see Wilson and Tanga put in a good performance. What problem area's are you most worried about, centre half, left back or attacking midfield?

Has to be support for Macca, unless Woolford fancies sharpening his studs

Left back has to be the priority for me. I agree Wilson looks like a decent player in the making and Tangs does seem to be improving. Carey , Spence and Stewart can all do a job in the middle ,as well as Fonts to come back. Not to say I wouldn't welcome a commanding Centre Half but we do have adequate cover. That leaves LB where , IMO , McAllister needs protection in front of him or he gets too exposed. I dont like Font's or Tangs there so if we dont get someone in the only other option would be Woolford , or change to 3-5-2 perhaps.

Left back has to be the priority for me. I agree Wilson looks like a decent player in the making and Tangs does seem to be improving. Carey , Spence and Stewart can all do a job in the middle ,as well as Fonts to come back. Not to say I wouldn't welcome a commanding Centre Half but we do have adequate cover. That leaves LB where , IMO , McAllister needs protection in front of him or he gets too exposed. I dont like Font's or Tangs there so if we dont get someone in the only other option would be Woolford , or change to 3-5-2 perhaps.

Clearly have more options at centre half than we do at left back, like you say Fonts and Tanga 'can' play there, but not their best position. I'm all for putting out the strongest 11, if that means unorthodox formations then so be it, at least until the Prem window shuts. Formations are easier to change than players. 4-5-1 seems a nice formation away. I wonder what Keith has in mind for Portsmouth?

Unfortunately every time I've seen Woolford play he seems off the pace and it's almost like the game passes him by. Previously Ive seen him in his ideal position - attacking wide left midfield. Last night he came in when McAllister was forced out and even allowing for him playing out of position, he just didn't seem to be at the races. On one occassion JCR overtook him to tackle back the player Woolford should have been marking. He seemed to have such a good reputation at Scunny, but just doesnt seem to have been able to reproduce that since he moved here, which is a shame as we could do with the balance a natural left footer would give out wide.

Mind you , I am always slightly dubious about any player that wears an Alice band!

Clearly have more options at centre half than we do at left back, like you say Fonts and Tanga 'can' play there, but not their best position. I'm all for putting out the strongest 11, if that means unorthodox formations then so be it, at least until the Prem window shuts. Formations are easier to change than players. 4-5-1 seems a nice formation away. I wonder what Keith has in mind for Portsmouth?

We've had this discussion before regarding "best 11 players". I asked you what formation you would play our best 11 in (and which players are our best 11). You never came back to me so I'll ask now, in your opinion what is our best 11 and how would you play them ?

lets face it NM is going at sum point in this season or he would have signed a new contract at that would be that but he has not, i would say if a prem club comes in with 5/6 mill today/tommorow take it, as nicky going on a free at the end of the season would be REALLY bad! plus that gives us time for keith to bring in a left back/centre back with the money.

i think pitman scoring goals with stead the supplyer is a real possibilty as we know they are both good players and with young taylor looking like a decent cheap buy aswell backing them up with albert wieghing in with a few goals we still have a decent attack without nicky, alrite nicky going is gunna be a loss but we need money from him to bring in new faces that we desperatly need in others areas!! as the board keep saying we need to sell to buy and hes our only source of money no one wants the other crap wage eaters we have in our squad!

CTID!!

We've had this discussion before regarding "best 11 players". I asked you what formation you would play our best 11 in (and which players are our best 11). You never came back to me so I'll ask now, in your opinion what is our best 11 and how would you play them ?

Oh really? Sorry about that. Home games would be nice to play 2 strikers.

-------------------------James---------------------------

-------------Spence--Wilson--Fonts-----------------

Adomah--Elliot--Skuse--Kilkenny--JCR--------

------------Maynard----------Pitman-----------------

When the wingers break Skuse and Elliot must fill in behind them. If Skuse or Elliot get forward the wingers must cover the gap. Adomah is the main outlet to link attack, he and Maynard should always be looking for each other, anyone from defense, and especially Killa who could play the one two with JCR untill NM and AA are ready to and in position.

4-5-1 Away as Leicester I think.

Oh really? Sorry about that. Home games would be nice to play 2 strikers.

-------------------------James---------------------------

-------------Spence--Wilson--Fonts-----------------

Adomah--Elliot--Skuse--Kilkenny--JCR--------

------------Maynard----------Pitman-----------------

When the wingers break Skuse and Elliot must fill in behind them. If Skuse or Elliot get forward the wingers must cover the gap. Adomah is the main outlet to link attack, he and Maynard should always be looking for each other, anyone from defense, and especially Killa who could play the one two with JCR untill NM and AA are ready to and in position.

4-5-1 Away as Leicester I think.

Thanks for the reply. You've said you would pick our best 11 players and find a formation to suit them so I assume those are the 11 you have named. How would you play the same players in a 4-5-1 formation away , presumably Skuse at RB but where would you play Pitman?

Thanks for the reply. You've said you would pick our best 11 players and find a formation to suit them so I assume those are the 11 you have named. How would you play the same players in a 4-5-1 formation away , presumably Skuse at RB but where would you play Pitman?

I think you are aloud a little margin for home and away formation. I'm not trying to worm out of contradicting myself before you say :laugh:

4-5-1 same back bone, drop Pitman for Macca.

I think you are aloud a little margin for home and away formation. I'm not trying to worm out of contradicting myself before you say :laugh:

4-5-1 same back bone, drop Pitman for Macca.

That's more like it. You obviously dont remember our initial conersation a week or so ago. You said you would always pick the best 11 players and find a formation for them and I said I would pick the formation first then the players to suit. Looks like you now agree with me !! :winner_third_h4h:

I do not think we'll get relegated this season, even without NM. We have other players who can score goals and whilst Nicky Maynard is a class act and is our most entertaining player I don't think he is vital to our promotion hopes. I don't think we can stop NM going if he wants to and I'd rather get £5m+ now rather than nothing in 12 months time.

The 3 points picked up last night were a pleasant surprise and whilst Maynard was the one who scored the goals, I think it was a result of a team effort.

That's more like it. You obviously dont remember our initial conversation a week or so ago. You said you would always pick the best 11 players and find a formation for them and I said I would pick the formation first then the players to suit. Looks like you now agree with me !! :winner_third_h4h:

Yeah I remembered just in time though!

Archived