IGNORED

Albert

dougal135

Anyone else think that Albert just isnt the same impact in games this season....compared to last season.

2nd season syndrome......or have teams worked him out?

JCR is out doing him 10 fold

To be honest one or two looked a bit jaded after their exertions in midweek.... I think that will be seen as a point won today rather than one lost. A clean sheet is good for confidence.

On the Maynard subject, If he wont sign and cant commit to what is a bloody good pay offer by all accounts, we should forget about him and concentrate on Pitman....If we are not careful we could lose both.

Anyone else think that Albert just isnt the same impact in games this season....compared to last season.

2nd season syndrome......or have teams worked him out?

JCR is out doing him 10 fold

Pompey were double teaming him, really in his face, thought he did ok, agree about JCR today he was my MOM

Well this is one benefit of having two out and out wingers. If one is being "double teamed" then there is more room for the other winger to operate and for the striker. If JCR dominates games like today then teams will employ the same tactics on him and opening more space for Albert.

He was awesome first half, I thought.

Not that I thought JCR had a bad game - he didn't. However his final ball was nearly always a floated cross. If he'd have whipped the ball in a bit more it may have suited our attack more and their defence less. I think JCR looked better today though. As for Albert I think some of the above comments are a bit harsh. The bloke ran at their defence time and time again winning corners and free kicks. If he was all over every defence, every game and getting goals and assists for fun, he wouldn't be playing for us, he'd be in the Prem.

Very true Stan, our final ball was lacking on occasion and more often than not it was JCR to deliver it - he did well to get into those positions, more so than anyone else on the pitch. Standing the ball up from a cross played into their hands though, playing 4 hefty centre backs as they were. Albert was quiet, and has been every time I've seen him this season. Sure hell come good though.

Well this is one benefit of having two out and out wingers. If one is being "double teamed" then there is more room for the other winger to operate and for the striker. If JCR dominates games like today then teams will employ the same tactics on him and opening more space for Albert.

He was awesome first half, I thought.

Exactly my thought. Albert closed down well, chased and helped spence a lot more. He freed up space for JCR who was in acres of space on his own on the left for 60minutes...

Exactly my thought. Albert closed down well, chased and helped spence a lot more. He freed up space for JCR who was in acres of space on his own on the left for 60minutes...

Aside from everything else i thought the whole team showed a real willingness to work and it was much appreciated by us. One thing sticks in my mind, they wer on the attack and we closed them down so well they were forced, eventually, to give it back to their keeper, the whole ground applauded. If we keep working hopefully the rest will follow.

Aside from everything else i thought the whole team showed a real willingness to work and it was much appreciated by us. One thing sticks in my mind, they were on the attack and we closed them down so well they were forced, eventually, to give it back to their keeper, the whole ground applauded. If we keep working hopefully the rest will follow.

That happened a couple of times and it was great to see the crowd's reaction in what was not a very thrilling game. Although a home draw was disappointing there were clear signs of improvement, particularly in defence.

4 points from 2 games is promotion form......................speechless-smiley-040.gif

Ben Haim looked like he was put at left back to do a job on Albert, which he did fort the most part. Perhaps JCR would've had more luck. Albert would certainly have had more luck against Mokoena.

They played the same back 4 as they did on Tuesday for Reading - I assume their job is just to bully opponents out of the game. Ben-Haim is a nasty piece of work, as could be said for about half of their eleven.

Ronnabe - (sorry can't quote when using phone) you're right it was bullying tactics by pompey. Do you know if Ben-Haim played left back against Reading! Their lad Pearce played CB yesterday. My point being it may just have been a shrewd tactical decision by Steve Cotterill. Albert does like to cut inside after all.

The 2 games ive seen albert in this season he appears to have contracted sproule syndrome.

What i mean by that is he always wants ball to feet now and he aint prepared to let the pass beat the man. Last season he was always buzzing around the left back waiting for the through ball. Now he wants it so he can try to beat his man on his own just as sproule used to.

The 2 games ive seen albert in this season he appears to have contracted sproule syndrome.

What i mean by that is he always wants ball to feet now and he aint prepared to let the pass beat the man. Last season he was always buzzing around the left back waiting for the through ball. Now he wants it so he can try to beat his man on his own just as sproule used to.

Exactly this .... He did this all game yesterday ... He wasnt double marked ... He was just dropping so deep ala sproule that he found himself caught up in the midfield ... So many times yesterday, spence, sproule and Kilkenny looked to the wing for an outlet or had the chance to play it beyond the left back and Albert wasn't there ... He should have been up on the last man then he wouldve offered more support to Maynard and another outlet from midfield ....

3 games of the same from him so far ...

Exactly this .... He did this all game yesterday ... He wasnt double marked ... He was just dropping so deep ala sproule that he found himself caught up in the midfield ... So many times yesterday, spence, sproule and Kilkenny looked to the wing for an outlet or had the chance to play it beyond the left back and Albert wasn't there ... He should have been up on the last man then he wouldve offered more support to Maynard and another outlet from midfield ....

3 games of the same from him so far ...

It's coached into them I'm afraid. The British coaching system now resembles the Italian one of the 1990's, the object of the game now is to go out and not lose, not to win, but not lose. Hence most teams now adopt 451 which they call a 433. It bores the living shit out of everyone eventually.

It's games like today's that id like to see the two wingers swap flanks every so often to keep the oppositions full backs guessing.

Exactly what I was hoping would happen.

Tal Ben Haim is a real quality defender. It would of been nice to see him take on Mokoena and switch or even work with JCR.

Tal Ben Haim is a real quality defender. It would of been nice to see him take on Mokoena and switch or even work with JCR.

First 15 minutes he destroyed BenHaim.....they then doubled him up like most teams have been this season.

A quality defender? He spent most of the time trying to kick Albert's legs out from under him - on and off the ball. When Albert ran he had no answers whatsoever.

I don't think Albert had one of his best games, but he was nowhere near as bad as has been made out by some on this thread.

Archived