IGNORED

One Up Front

ateyomike

I know we got the result against leicester on weds and its not just that we didnt score today but i do feel the one up front- however good maynard is wont work in the long run, it means a lot of work by one player without much support especially seeing what other strikers we have - am i being cynical or is it putting maynard in the shop window ?? but with what we have it does seem a waste dare i say money as well, or is millen trying to stamp his authority at AG and would hate to loose any of those we have up front to support maynard(if he stays) but if he goes are we wasting our time on this set up ??

i am of the school of a 2 striker partnership one big and burley to head down long balls and one small and skilful to pick it up i always think that the 2 up front work with each other or am i now old at 50 and living in the past there are sooo many bristol partnerships down the years mention when they had good times

We cant blame Milly for playing 1 up top today, he was hardly going to change a team that played so well in mid week.

BUT Maynard isnt a lone striker, if KM wants to adapt this kind of 4-5-1/4-3-3 tactic at home then NM needs to drop deep to collect the ball at times (something that he didnt do at all today) and the two forward wide men need to get forward when he does. Personally I'd rather see Stead playing a lone striker role as by todays attempts at pumping it up top to Nicky just didnt work...obviously.

Playing 4-5-1 seems to be an acceptance that Millen cannot find another solution to our defensive /midfield weaknesses.

The only consolation is that Ipswich are going 5-5-0 for their next game.

i am of the school of a 2 striker partnership one big and burley to head down long balls and one small and skilful to pick it up i always think that the 2 up front work with each other or am i now old at 50 and living in the past there are sooo many bristol partnerships down the years mention when they had good times

Have to agree with this, playing one up front may work better away where we can counter attack

But at home the onus is on us attack and to do this effectively we need 2 central strikers not someone stuck out on the wing.

I realise that yesterday may have been a one off as confidence is restored, but unless KM changes these tactics we are in for a very boring season.

If an away team would settle for a point prior to kick off and sits back and defend, how can you play counter attacking football ?

Playing 4-5-1 seems to be an acceptance that Millen cannot find another solution to our defensive /midfield weaknesses.

I think that's right and yesterday showed how effective it can be with a clean sheet. I posted on another thread that 5 across midfield stifles the opposition's attacking play but leaves your own strikers isolated too often.

Playing two up front with 5 in midfield would mean 3 at the back.

City played two up front against Ipswich and Cardiff and conceded 3 goals in both games, so what does Millen do?

It will be interesting to see how Millen sets up against Swindon but I'm sure he'll go 4-5-1 again at Donny next saturday.

I always think if you play 1 up then your wingers have got to be used more and further up the field. If you play 5 in midfield then there is no point in playing the long ball over the midfield to the lone striker - we are just giving the ball to the opposition.

I fully support playing 5 across midfield as its clear we are a lot more solid but lets use the midfield to create chances and get the ball out to the wingers more often as we seemed to towards the end.

'One Up Front'......Do we like it ?

I think the question should be re-phrased to 'Do we like the consequences of playing it' ? It seems to me that when this squad was put together it was assmbled on the assumption that we would be playing two strikers. We have Maynard, Pitman, Stead, Taylor, Clarkson,(Jackson). If we continue to play with either just one of them up front or persist in playing some of them out of position then we are obviously heading for problems as it will be impossible to keep them all happy, as the Pitman rumours suggest. Much as some of prefer 4-5-1/4-3-3, it looks as though Keith will have to find some way of playing with a front two or face discontent in the dressing room.

I think that's right and yesterday showed how effective it can be with a clean sheet. I posted on another thread that 5 across midfield stifles the opposition's attacking play but leaves your own strikers isolated too often.

Playing two up front with 5 in midfield would mean 3 at the back.

City played two up front against Ipswich and Cardiff and conceded 3 goals in both games, so what does Millen do?

It will be interesting to see how Millen sets up against Swindon but I'm sure he'll go 4-5-1 again at Donny next saturday.

of course it can also be argued that playing against a team with no points and no strikers of any note left to chose from, that this may be an appropriate time to play 3 at the back or put another way failure to win this game to be honest would be an embarrassment. I suspect Donny may well try to play the 4-5-1 formation given their circumstances.

The only consolation is that Ipswich are going 5-5-0 for their next game.

In our play off final season we played 4-5-1, as did Swansea and QPR. Though for it to work properly we have to swap Skuse or elliot for a player that plays higher up the pitch behind Maynard .I think Adomah could be great in this role we still have Woolford/JCR/Bolaise for the wings.If I'd seen more of Reid and what sort of player I may of suggested him.Though as you suggest downendcity we may play Skuse/elliot/Kilkenny to accomdate for our defence which maybe isn't such a bad idea for their confidence in short term.

city.gifIf you play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 the most important man on the pitch is the one up front who has to get to the ball and either play it to one of the midfielders or hold it up to allow midfielders to come into play.

Nicky Maynard is not that type of player we would be better off swapping him for Kitson at Pompy if we want to play that way and I am sure that he would like someone else up front as one of his strengths is finding space and there is not a lot of space to be found when the whole defence has one player to mark.

city.gifIf you play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 the most important man on the pitch is the one up front who has to get to the ball and either play it to one of the midfielders or hold it up to allow midfielders to come into play.

Nicky Maynard is not that type of player we would be better off swapping him for Kitson at Pompy if we want to play that way and I am sure that he would like someone else up front as one of his strengths is finding space and there is not a lot of space to be found when the whole defence has one player to mark.

no i don't like it but its more important to have a few shut outs at the moment so the back 4 can have a bit of confidance again,

We don't concide we don't lose

I agree. Our central midfield can't control the game if there are only 2 of them so having 5 in the middle is a must IMHO. Maybe we could consider 3-5-2 at home:

---------------------Gerken/DJ--------------------

------------Spence----Wilson-----Nyatanga--------------

Albert/JCR-------Skuse-----Elliott------Woolford/Macca/JCR

----------------------Kilkenny/Reid--------------------

----------------Stead----------Maynard/Pitman------

Our defence dictates at this point we have no choice to play one up top

Even more importantly than the above is the midfielders we have available that will dictate playing 4-5-1.

Expect more of the same as I believe this season is one of maintaing our Championship status until June of next year when allegedly we have half the squad out of contract. Under the current constraints it will be at this juncture we can begin to improve the quite poor quality of the squad that has been assemled during various regimes.

When talking formations I consider Adomah should always be viewed as a striker. He is a touchline hugger (that is why he is easily marked out of games) and should never be considered as a midfielder because he offers nothing as the type of midfielder we would all love to see.

In our play off final season we played 4-5-1, as did Swansea and QPR. Though for it to work properly we have to swap Skuse or elliot for a player that plays higher up the pitch behind Maynard .I think Adomah could be great in this role we still have Woolford/JCR/Bolaise for the wings.If I'd seen more of Reid and what sort of player I may of suggested him.Though as you suggest downendcity we may play Skuse/elliot/Kilkenny to accomdate for our defence which maybe isn't such a bad idea for their confidence in short term.

What he said.

The problem on Saturday for us was that we played a very deep midfield, but the wingers were well up ahead of Maynard, who was then arriving 5 yards behind their crosses.

Contrast with Pompey who when on the attack always had about three people arriving in our box at the same time. Luckily, they couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Archived