IGNORED

How Long Will The Board Leave It?

spudski

...With the current rate of fans leaving in droves, and the general feeling of unhappiness with everything about the Club, do you think the Board will risk alienating it's current fan base for the sake of saving a few £££'s?

I realise it's a catch 22 brought on by poor management, and decision making... and we are where we are.

How i see it...

The board will continue in the same vein and not change anything.

We will play poor unattractive football, probably just avoid relegation, but lose many many fans in the process.

How far does a Club go before it starts taking notice of it's fans leaving? How damaging is it?

If it continues like this, I can really see the fans turning on Milly and the board. Imho, it's not Milleys fault, but it will be him if anyone who loses his job if things change. Unfortunately, more often than not the board never changes. Well we've some new faces in it now, and from what i've seen so far, they are a complete shower. All pulling in different directions.

In one instance you have them trying to run the Club on a relative shoestring, making savings etc. Then on the other you have a Director trying to flog as much corperate seating and hospitality as possible...are they deluded? What company in this recession is going to spend money bringing clients to see this shower of shite?

It's a real dilema...

Out of interest, does anyone know how much revenue would be lost if we were to be relegated?

Going down with players on such high paying contracts, would surely be a financial disaster?

Loss of revenue from the Championship and fans leaving...surely a financial meltdown?

What really can be done?

what do you mean? Were doing a solid job in the league, the last 2 games in the league have been very solid! Swindon weere bound to be more up for it than us! They bought more away fans than they normally get at home!!

So why are the fans leaving and why is everyone so unhappy? This is not just about last nights game, it's been ongoing for a couple of seasons.

As far as I can judge the strategy is one of managed decline that the club hope will be followed by an upward curve coinciding with the new stadium, having reduced debts and costs and increased revenue. Colin Sexton has said it will be next season until Keith has his own team so I think we can assume that he will still be here then as he is being cut some (a lot?) of slack in the meantime.

While this is a complete about face from the strategy behind appointing Coppell (and swinging from one extreme to another is bad business management imo) I can see the logic behind it. There are a number of issues that arise however.

1. It implies a complacent assumption that we will still be in the Championship this time next year, by no means a foregone conclusion. A case of too good to go down syndrome? I hope there is a risk mitigation plan if it starts to look like this assumption is wrong otherwise things will be much worse on and off the pitch.

2. It suggests, as I have said elsewhere, that Keith has been appointed as the fall guy to take the flak for the strategy on the grounds that he will be so grateful he will be prepared to be a stooge. So what happens if the decline continues, he gets the blame and decides he doesn't need the grief so resigns? No experienced, quality manager would take the job under those circumstances so who takes over? Buggins turn presumably.

3. At best there seems to be some confusion between Colin and Keith about what the strategy actually is, as proved by Colin publicly contradicting Keith, effectively slapping him down for trying to blame him. I wonder if Keith feels he has been sold a pig in a poke? Looks like a disunited political party and we know what tends to happen to them. We need some consistency, clarity and honesty from the club.

4. Instead they have tried to blame the fans for having unrealistic expectations of promotion when we expect no such thing, just signs of consistent improvement on the field. We are still waiting.

5. Keeping and attracting players is difficult in the above circumstances. Kilkenny for instance has made it fairly clear he feels he was conned about Keith's plans, which have not materialised (yet). The squad may get smaller but not necessarily better in that case.

All high risk stuff and I am far from convinced a more measured approach would not have been better and that the apparent strategy will succeed.:fingerscrossed:

As far as I can judge the strategy is one of managed decline that the club hope will be followed by an upward curve coinciding with the new stadium, having reduced debts and costs and increased revenue. Colin Sexton has said it will be next season until Keith has his own team so I think we can assume that he will still be here then as he is being cut some (a lot?) of slack in the meantime.

While this is a complete about face from the strategy behind appointing Coppell (and swinging from one extreme to another is bad business management imo) I can see the logic behind it. There are a number of issues that arise however.

1. It implies a complacent assumption that we will still be in the Championship this time next year, by no means a foregone conclusion. A case of too good to go down syndrome? I hope there is a risk mitigation plan if it starts to look like this assumption is wrong otherwise things will be much worse on and off the pitch.

2. It suggests, as I have said elsewhere, that Keith has been appointed as the fall guy to take the flak for the strategy on the grounds that he will be so grateful he will be prepared to be a stooge. So what happens if the decline continues, he gets the blame and decides he doesn't need the grief so resigns? No experienced, quality manager would take the job under those circumstances so who takes over? Buggins turn presumably.

3. At best there seems to be some confusion between Colin and Keith about what the strategy actually is, as proved by Colin publicly contradicting Keith, effectively slapping him down for trying to blame him. I wonder if Keith feels he has been sold a pig in a poke? Looks like a disunited political party and we know what tends to happen to them. We need some consistency, clarity and honesty from the club.

4. Instead they have tried to blame the fans for having unrealistic expectations of promotion when we expect no such thing, just signs of consistent improvement on the field. We are still waiting.

5. Keeping and attracting players is difficult in the above circumstances. Kilkenny for instance has made it fairly clear he feels he was conned about Keith's plans, which have not materialised (yet). The squad may get smaller but not necessarily better in that case.

All high risk stuff and I am far from convinced a more measured approach would not have been better and that the apparent strategy will succeed.:fingerscrossed:

You sum it up very well...they are sentiments i agree with. What i find appalling is the Club just expect the fans to put up with their mistakes, turn up and support regardless. It's shamless...

Fans obviously love this Club, there wouldn't be so many passionate posts on here if they didn't.

Unfortunately forums allow fans to vent their anger, whereas in the past, we did it at the ground. I feel this is often why there is no passion at the ground, as we have no pent up frustation to release. It's all done on here...or down the pub.

Excellent post, top stuff.

Your first sentence sum my thoughts up exactly.

It would appear that the club are, and in fairness are right to be, overseeing a period of down scaling in which it moves more toward being run as a business.

The appointment of Sexstone epitomises this shift in attitude, while Millen has been tasked with drastically cutting the wage bill and introducing a development squad. All of which are moves I fully support during the prelude to Ashton Vale, at which time financial constraints shall be loosened to reflect the clubs strengthened base.

It is utterly short sighted to say 'well the club can't fill it's current stadium so why do they need a bigger one', as both oppositon of the project and internal sceptics often do. The club has been living beyond it's means for some time and is operating at a level which is simply unsustainable, at the whim of a wealthy local businessman. The stadium is of the greatest importance, id see us relegated in the blink of an eye if it guaranteed the stadium, absolutely no hesitation.

The policy shift from Coppell to Millen is an interesting one for sure. But it would appear clear, albeit with some mixed messages emanating from high profile player pursuits missed out on, that the club is gravitating toward a more manageable business model in preparation for it's move. With that said I sympathise with Millen, but I wouldn't suggest he is the fall guy to be pitied as some may perceive. We have a decent squad and he has certainly been backed in the transfer market, it is his job to get the best from the players at his disposable and my concern is that he isn't currently doing that.

Excellent post, top stuff.

Your first sentence sum my thoughts up exactly.

It would appear that the club are, and in fairness are right to be, overseeing a period of down scaling in which it moves more toward being run as a business.

The appointment of Sexstone epitomises this shift in attitude, while Millen has been tasked with drastically cutting the wage bill and introducing a development squad. All of which are moves I fully support during the prelude to Ashton Vale, at which time financial constraints shall be loosened to reflect the clubs strengthened base.

It is utterly short sighted to say 'well the club can't fill it's current stadium so why do they need a bigger one', as both oppositon of the project and internal sceptics often do. The club has been living beyond it's means for some time and is operating at a level which is simply unsustainable, at the whim of a wealthy local businessman. The stadium is of the greatest importance, id see us relegated in the blink of an eye if it guaranteed the stadium, absolutely no hesitation.

The policy shift from Coppell to Millen is an interesting one for sure. But it would appear clear, albeit with some mixed messages emanating from high profile player pursuits missed out on, that the club is gravitating toward a more manageable business model in preparation for it's move. With that said I sympathise with Millen, but I wouldn't suggest he is the fall guy to be pitied as some may perceive. We have a decent squad and he has certainly been backed in the transfer market, it is his job to get the best from the players at his disposable and my concern is that he isn't currently doing that.

While I do sometimes feel sorry for him and do feel he has been set up somewhat I agree he should be doing better with what he has if his coaching reputation is justified. So far we have had a couple of purple patches amidst an awful lot of dross as opposed to the improvement we were supposed to get, particularly after he had had his own pre-season.

There are no excuses for losing to a side 2 leagues below AT HOME, questions have to be asked of the management and players.

Can people stop posting this argument, half the championship and a few prem sides went out to lower league position. Man U went out to Leeds the other year (2 tier gap same as us and swindon), still won the title didn't they. Stop comparing these games to the league. Naive and silly.

Archived