IGNORED

Momentum In The Championship

spudski

It looks on the face of it that the difference between the Championship and the Prem is that clubs coming up from League 1 can generally (and there have been notable exceptions including Brighton the last time) maintain the momentum from their promotion longer in the Championship than in the Prem. I am thinking of teams like Blackpool etc who were rocking around in the top half of the prem until xmas. It seems that the established Premier League sides can learn how to play the new teams faster than the teams in the championship can. It will be interesting to see how long Brighton and Southampton in particular can keep their runs going, and what will happen if they take a big knock back at any stage. Remember our first seaon we lost 6-0 away to Ipswich and 4-1 at West Brom but we kept bouncing back, the character we showed was quite exceptional.

Hit the nail on the head. There is no confidence at the moment, no one who can speak out and be tough at times. We need someone to motivate the playes or give them self belief, or work harder as a group. When he signed for the club I thought maybe david james would be this type of player/person, but this hasnt worked. I think we miss Louis carey when he was in his prime. gave alot of passion on the pitch.

I think this guy could be our answer to our problems

:laughcont:

Regardless of all that has been said about him, I thought Basso was a great person to have on the pitch. He exuded confidence and self belief, and when he played it rubbed off on all the players. I even remember Orr starting to cross himself and point to the sky... Regardless of religion or faith...he made the team believe they could win. We need someone like that on the pitch.

You mention David James...good keeper on his day, but his body language and constant moaning at players is nothing but negative. I feel this is also why many fans have not warmed to him. Players walk on eggshells around him.

We need a player to command and control...someone to encourage. As well as someone in the coaching set up who can Professionally help with confidence.

I see a team with heads down, dropped shoulders and fear. When we score, it is plain to see relief on their faces rather than 'we can do this and win'. It's more...'lets hang on for dear life'.

We need to make the team believe again...

Regardless of all that has been said about him, I thought Basso was a great person to have on the pitch. He exuded confidence and self belief, and when he played it rubbed off on all the players. I even remember Orr starting to cross himself and point to the sky... Regardless of religion or faith...he made the team believe they could win. We need someone like that on the pitch.

You mention David James...good keeper on his day, but his body language and constant moaning at players is nothing but negative. I feel this is also why many fans have not warmed to him. Players walk on eggshells around him.

We need a player to command and control...someone to encourage. As well as someone in the coaching set up who can Professionally help with confidence.

I see a team with heads down, dropped shoulders and fear. When we score, it is plain to see relief on their faces rather than 'we can do this and win'. It's more...'lets hang on for dear life'.

We need to make the team believe again...

If you want to put a positive spin on it you could say it at least shows a unity amongst the team that when one head drops they all do!

But agree with you totally spudski .......we have lacked a leader for several seasons now.....(had hoped Hartley was the man for the job)

We need that type of player who grows taller & stronger & shows the way by example when things are not going right (TBH even a Bartonesque losing of temper would not go amiss from time to time) ...........at the moment its hard to see anyone who can drag the rest of the team up...

its almost like there is an expectation & acceptance of situations turning bad for us during games and boy can the opposition can smell it ...like hunters after their prey they step up pace, close down quicker and force errors from our team of Bambi's !

I swear I can see actual "FEAR" in some of their faces when we are under pressure..........when it is grim determination & effort we need

Absolutely right. My favourite manager right now is stuart pearce, mr motivator. he is fearce but also keeps the players on his side. I think the manager always needs two sides, one to be strict, but also knows when to let loose and keep a happy dressing room amd inspire the players. e.g. capello was too strict on the england players(soft bastards).

but the club has just announced a new personal trainer, he has experience of team talks in the world cup.

It is important for sure- we showed it in 07/08, that in hindsight was part of it no doubt. Leicester showed it 09/10 by reaching playoffs. At a higher level, Chelsea showed it last season when coming back from 15 pts behind they just got on a roll and by late April the gap was 3 with GD identical (ok they ran out of steam but for a while it looked like they would snatch the title from nowhere)...

Archived