IGNORED

Anyone Support A Premier League Team?

David Brent

Yep - Spurs !

As a kid we got a football shirt for christmas - 1978 i asked for Ipswich, 79 & 80 Forest and in 81, Spurs - then my big brother (i was eleven at the time) told me to grow up and stick with one team - so i did, Spurs, despite at the time playing for West Town Harriers (the then name for City boys)

Always followed both sides but the eleven hour round trip to the lane became too much (6 times a season - prawn sandwich style), so living in Windmill Hill, after 6 or so games a season down the gate, i last year bought my first season ticket and renewed again this year! Nothing wrong with this IMO, apart from having to do an about turn last year when i realised i was walking to the gate with my spurs hat on!!!!

hmmmm..... where are all these people that cheer at half time results....

Yeah that really pisses me off. The roar for Liverpool is ridiculous! I personally don't understand how you can support two club teams, actually i'll rephrase that, you can't. I like certain teams more than others, Arsenal are my favourite of the big boys and I'm fond of Everton but support them? Absolutely not.

Cheers for all the replies.

For the record I'm 100% Bristol City. I don't care about any other team especially in the Prem. But, I completely understand people who have been influenced by their family and have an affiliation to that club for that reason (Although it's part of the reason I detest forest.) I also undertsand how quality tteams and their style of football may be of interest to people.

Anyway, I suppose I asked the question to try and gauge how important City was to some people. Does Chelsea or Arsenal winning make up for City losing? I'm aware of people who go and watch City but also support a top end prem team as a 'safe' option. But then does it really matter if they're putting money into the club? What I mean is, for some people City aren't a big enough club to support. For me it's the only conclusion I can come to about how a city the size of Bristol does not have a really big supported club a la Sheffield / Norwich etc...But then I suppose recent success (or lack of) plays a part too. I'm confused.

I really do apologise if this comes across as patronising or not as I have intended, but for me I don't want City to be seen as just a local club, a passing interest, a whatever or nevermind.

Jordan - you're right, nothing wrong with it. I just know people who would stuggle to pick between two teams.

Riaz - I've certainly heard cheers when the top Prem teams are winning - I can't be the only one who has heard surely?

Cheers

Can't knock those who like Jordan have a genuine connection. If bombay had a team, I'd support them :P

What I can't stand, is those fans who pick top teams, with no real connection, and say "I've been supporting them since I was 5" or "my dad supported them innit" or even "Bristol city and rovers are shit innit".

Well a) you should have grown out of it b) your dad is also a glory hunter/**** and c) if everyone supported their local side, Bristol might have a prem team with that sort of following it would bring.

It also makes me laugh seeing prem supporters (especially Man Utd fans) with their replica shirts on - or as I call it membership shirts. They think there "supporting their club" because they wasted fifty quid on it - when really they know nothing about supporting a team.

In 1960, as a 7-year-old, I started going with my Dad to watch City and thus became a City supporter for life.

However, in 1962, I watched Spurs beat Burnley 3-1 in the first FA Cup Final I ever watched on TV. Spurs included my heroes, Danny Blanchflower and Jimmy Greaves (who, along with John Atyeo, were my top 3 players at that time). Since that time, while supporting City all my life, I've always followed, and always look for, Spurs results.

No second team for me - I'd follow a different sport if City weren't around.

And no second team for any of my kids either, which rather surprises me as they've never lived in Bristol. I think they've been lucky to have been brought up in an era of promotion challenges. Their friends who follow Prem clubs have - almost to a man and woman - never seen their team play live. Their mates who actually watch football watch the local league clubs - or the clubs their Dads take them to...often, like us, miles from home.

Everton are my second team. My Grandma supported them and she died in 1984, two weeks before they won the F.A Cup. That was the start of the great Everton team of the Eighties - a joy to watch and a team that would surely have won the (then) European Cup if we had not been banned from Europe at that time.

The very few times that they have played City are the only times that I have wanted them to lose.

Absolutely not.

Most of the self appointed fans of one of the Prem big clubs that I know were the sort that were unpopular at school so claimed to support them to be 'in' with the popular kids. The popular kids grew out of it and the rest still claim to support the club from behind their tv or laptop. Morons

I don't support any other teams, but il watch any football and generally support any good passing attacking football.... Which I why I want Man U to win the Prem because defensive minded teams like Man City and Liverpool are taking the entertainment out of the game.

Oh and I cheer for anyteam iv bet on :-)

It also makes me laugh seeing prem supporters (especially Man Utd fans) with their replica shirts on - or as I call it membership shirts. They think there "supporting their club" because they wasted fifty quid on it - when really they know nothing about supporting a team.

Just out of interest, why "especially Man Utd fans"?

For what it's worth, I just hate Chelsea and Liverpool in the prem. And Newcastle.

Inspired by my desire to fit in amongst an older group of friends when I was about 10, Southampton.

They all followed top flight teams - United or Liverpool, but not wanting to be a 'glory hunter' I choose Southampton.

Probably 'followed' (wouldn't say supported) until my second year of uni which was 2004, at which point I became good friends with a Pompey fan. By that time, to be fair, I had no reason to follow them (Southampton) anyway.

This season I've found myself 'rooting' for Arsenal as I think Wenger deserves s great deal of respect, but 'rooting' is as far as it goes.

Most of the self appointed fans of one of the Prem big clubs that I know were the sort that were unpopular at school so claimed to support them to be 'in' with the popular kids. The popular kids grew out of it and the rest still claim to support the club from behind their tv or laptop. Morons

Dunno about that- thinking back to school, most of my mates I stil keep in contact with support sides from outside Bristol- bizarrely some support Newcastle for reasons only known to themselves- no trophy since 68 and counting. It's a thing about modern football sadly- people who 'support' a side but have never been to a game for them. At least if someone claims to 'support' a side outside their city but goes to watch them when they can that's slightly different. Most don't however of course.

No. No other team for me. I cant even watch the Premier League, if we are not in it, then I am not interested.

Supporting City is excellent character building. I can much better deal with the disappointments, losses and upheavals in life. City have given me glimpses of the promised land now and again, some great days out, but we have never really hit the highs I think we all crave.

But I watch the forums everyday, read all the reports etc. Being exiled half way round the world makes it even harder to hear what is going on at the moment.

Its funny when I talk to Canadians they ask me who my team is, I tell them proudly Bristol City, who they ask? Bristol City mate. Yeah but who is your Premier League team? I just tell them I wouldn't have enough hours in the day to support two teams!

For me its just blind faith right now, its all I know

Archived