IGNORED

Millen Quote

TRL

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~2435871,00.html

Does this seem like he is setting us up for some bad news?

Looking at loans and "I hope i do not lose any of my better players" This would suggest the board are looking to sell better players. We do not have to sell is what we are always being told, seems the goalposts are changing somewhat as we cannot get rid of our not needed players.

Now like have said before, either tell us the 100% truth or say nothing, these soundbites just stir up more anger.

Another poor bit of PR from our club I think, forever shooting themselves in the foot whne they see the anger from the fans.

Oh well never mind!

http://www.bcfc.co.u...2435871,00.html

Looking at loans and "I hope i do not lose any of my better players" This would suggest the board are looking to sell better players. We do not have to sell is what we are always being told, seems the goalposts are changing somewhat as we cannot get rid of our not needed players.

Now like have said before, either tell us the 100% truth or say nothing, these soundbites just stir up more anger.

Another poor bit of PR from our club I think, forever shooting themselves in the foot whne they see the anger from the fans.

Oh well never mind!

Nope I think that you reading into things this is all.

Must admit I read that as he didn't want to lose anymore players through injury, hadn't thought of the way you read it.....

If they were willing to sell Fonts then I guess we have to realise that they are all available, for the right price

For me, sell Maynard and hope to God that we've got players (defenders) lined up to come in when we have the money - or am I asking for too much there? The Maynard saga has gone on for too long, if he wanted to sign he would've by now. I don't blame him for wanting a Bosman so he can feather his nest, we'd all do the same - but I'd hope there was some recognition of what City have done for him and he could go now and let us get some cash for him

Oh well never mind!

Having read the article, it reminds me of the then Lib Dem leader David Steele's speech prior to an election, when he told his party to go and prepare for government!

I think Millen is telling us to prepare for League 1.

He did say at the back end of last season, that he knew what he wanted, and all would be in place for Pre season, so as not to repeat the fiasco of Coppells preseason.

Well, that didn't/hasn't worked!!

And as for hoping his better players stay.... He is the manager for Christ sake. Surely he should know who is bidding for who, and if necessary have targets lined up as replacements.

I can't help but think our management has become amateurish in everything it does. Sexstone/Millen and cohorts seem completely out of their depth.

Oh well never mind!

Having read the article, it reminds me of the then Lib Dem leader David Steele's speech prior to an election, when he told his party to go and prepare for government!

I think Millen is telling us to prepare for League 1.

He did say at the back end of last season, that he knew what he wanted, and all would be in place for Pre season, so as not to repeat the fiasco of Coppells preseason.

Well, that didn't/hasn't worked!!

And as for hoping his better players stay.... He is the manager for Christ sake. Surely he should know who is bidding for who, and if necessary have targets lined up as replacements.

I can't help but think our management has become amateurish in everything it does. Sexstone/Millen and cohorts seem completely out of their depth.

You would hope that he is expecting a final bid for Maynard from Leicester and maybe another club. And if that gets accepted, he has a few players in mind to bring in, i dont think we necessarily need to replace with a striker because we got Pitman. So you would hope a couple of defenders and maybe a midfielder if we gunna play 4-3-3/4-5-1

How can he stregthen when he has nothing to spend??

:) we are not a selling or a buying club by everyhting we are told.

On the one hand we have to sell before we buy, then the next day "Like we have always said if there is a player available that the manager really likes, funds will be made available"

Then we have to lower the playing staff. But keep rebuffing the advances for Maynard. Then they go to sell Fontaine and Millen clearly didn't want him to leave.

So what are we? a selling club, a buying club or as it appears to me at the moment a club that is singing from two hymn sheets, the managers Hymn sheet and the boards Hymn sheet.

It really does get tiring, we are sounbite central, no real news or pointers as to which direction we are heading. And anytime we do get any big news we get a small messages saying blah blah blah, the club will not be commenting further.

So shut up or put up would be my message to the board or Manager, give us fact or give us nothing.

:) we are not a selling or a buying club by everyhting we are told.

On the one hand we have to sell before we buy, then the next day "Like we have always said if there is a player available that the manager really likes, funds will be made available"

Then we have to lower the playing staff. But keep rebuffing the advances for Maynard. Then they go to sell Fontaine and Millen clearly didn't want him to leave.

So what are we? a selling club, a buying club or as it appears to me at the moment a club that is singing from two hymn sheets, the managers Hymn sheet and the boards Hymn sheet.

It really does get tiring, we are sounbite central, no real news or pointers as to which direction we are heading. And anytime we do get any big news we get a small messages saying blah blah blah, the club will not be commenting further.

So shut up or put up would be my message to the board or Manager, give us fact or give us nothing.

Personnally I feel the board have been consistent. They will back their manager, but they want value for money.

The mixed messages appear to be coming from Millen IMO.

Oh well never mind!

What would expect him so say? ''I hope all my best players leave''?

You're reading too much into a genuinely felt comment.

Perhaps I'm naive here but I simply read into it that he hoped Maynard stayed beyond tomorrow whilst at the same time looking to finally secure (well at least on loan) that so far elusive left back.

As for whether we are a selling club or not, it is a nonsense to think this board is any different to any other at City, if we get an offer which they feel reflects a good deal they'll sell, (as we did for Cole, Goater and Akinbiyi in the past) though in Maynard's case I'm not entirely sure I follow their logic, unless they know he's going to sign a new contract.

Oh well never mind!

I'm sure he doesn't want to lose any of his better players.

He has surely decided those that he is prepared to get rid of, but if a player want's to leave for whatever reason, or if the club gets an offer that is too good to refuse (bearing in mind that the player may well be out of contract at the end of the season) , he hasn't got much option.

I doubt he wanted to lose Fonts, but the offer wasn't bad (IMO) considering he's out of contract at the end of the season.

got to defend teflon here, he's always said I hope to keep my best players nothing changed on that front,

But if some one bid stupid money for one of our players like 15 million for McAllister then the club will take it out of teflons hands,

Thats all he's getting at he hasn't changed his tone at all, your reading too much into it

What would expect him so say? ''I hope all my best players leave''?

You're reading too much into a genuinely felt comment.

Rob, you didn't read my post.

I am suggesting the Board and Millen get their heads together and decide on club strategy before posting soundbites. It is of no use one giving one piece of info, and then that being contradicted.

And if they wanted to assure the fan base it would be "None of our best players will leave" not a wishy wash "I hope they don't leave". It sounds like there is no control at the club! If you don't want them to leave they wont, they stay until their contreact expires. A wishy washy "I hope" is not what you want to hear from your Manager, a consise, they stay until I have replacements ready to come in, would be better. But if he cannot say that due to Board decisions then it is better to say nothing than wishy washy drivel which makes him look like he is relying on hope rather than him controling a situation. And I am am a bit of a branded Millen happy clapper.

Another PR failure in my eyes. We never seem to get it right

I am suggesting the Board and Millen get their heads together and decide on club strategy before posting soundbites. It is of no use one giving one piece of info, and then that being contradicted.

And if they wanted to assure the fan base it would be "None of our best players will leave" not a wishy wash "I hope they don't leave". It sounds like there is no control at the club! If you don't want them to leave they wont, they stay until their contreact expires. A wishy washy "I hope" is not what you want to hear from your Manager, a consise, they stay until I have replacements ready to come in, would be better. But if he cannot say that due to Board decisions then it is better to say nothing than wishy washy drivel which makes him look like he is relying on hope rather than him controling a situation. And I am am a bit of a branded Millen happy clapper.

Another PR failure in my eyes. We never seem to get it right

How can the board and Millen decide on a strategy when they don't know which of the players (if any) will attract late bids from other clubs? For example take Elliot. He's one of the main rocks in Millen's team and as far as we know, no interest has been shown in him by other clubs. But....suppose say Stoke City or another PL outfit came in, out of the blue at 5pm tomorrow and offered 4m for him? What then?

History show us that lots of business happens during the last few hours of the window.

How can the board and Millen decide on a strategy when they don't know which of the players (if any) will attract late bids from other clubs? For example take Elliot. He's one of the main rocks in Millen's team and as far as we know, no interest has been shown in him by other clubs. But....suppose say Stoke City or another PL outfit came in, out of the blue at 5pm tomorrow and offered 4m for him? What then?

History show us that lots of business happens during the last few hours of the window.

Respect most of your comments panic buying no, what happens is Chairman hold out for the money, if Leicester really want Manynard 6M Wednesday he will go, loads of ever transfer may happen like this the madness of the last transfer day of the season, and what all these managers haven't learn't, the wine drinking alcoholic at Man U will be on a beach for two weeks knowing he got the players he wanted in July.

Robb you have to to have a strategy in any form of buisness, be it banking or football, not to have none as you suggest means we are doomed to failure.

And to address your question.. Do not sell your best players. The board have said on numerous occasions we will not sell our best players. It makes the strategy Simple. If you have a strategy you put things in place, if things come in at the last moment that will adversly effect your strategy you do not follow them up. It is simple, be there 1 million or 10 million on the table. By selling your best players late on you have no real chance to get in others. If you want to go down the slippery slope of selling your best players do it early and admit to yourself you may have to take a lower offer to ensure you have the time and resources to get in the replacements you really want, not knee jerk 11th hour replacements.

If, and I say if, the plan was all along to sell Maynard for lots and to sell Fontaine, the business should have already taken place. Leaving to so late in the transfer window stinks of panic and is imo not in the best interests of the club. If Maynard is holding out for a prem league club then we keep hold of him until January or let him go for free. None of this last minute nonsense.

Oh well never mind!

Yep - more reason to be depressed as a City fan...it obviously means that...:surrender:

Here is a random and wacky suggestion for you...

How about we wait and see what actually happens, then judge the decisions made based on the facts that are left before us?

Nobody knows if we are expecting a suitable bid for Maynard, or any other player for that matter.

Nobody knows which players we may have enquired about or maybe even have lined up.

Nobody knows if any perspective incomings are conditional on players leaving.

So, how about we sit and wait, preferably without making 74+ page threads based on speculation and bullshit, that do nothing other that wind ourselves up and then see where we are at the close of the transfer window.

If there is no business to be done prior to that, then the next loan window opens a week later i believe, which might then see some activity.

Robb you have to to have a strategy in any form of buisness, be it banking or football, not to have none as you suggest means we are doomed to failure.

And to address your question.. Do not sell your best players. The board have said on numerous occasions we will not sell our best players. It makes the strategy Simple. If you have a strategy you put things in place, if things come in at the last moment that will adversly effect your strategy you do not follow them up. It is simple, be there 1 million or 10 million on the table. By selling your best players late on you have no real chance to get in others. If you want to go down the slippery slope of selling your best players do it early and admit to yourself you may have to take a lower offer to ensure you have the time and resources to get in the replacements you really want, not knee jerk 11th hour replacements.

If, and I say if, the plan was all along to sell Maynard for lots and to sell Fontaine, the business should have already taken place. Leaving to so late in the transfer window stinks of panic and is imo not in the best interests of the club. If Maynard is holding out for a prem league club then we keep hold of him until January or let him go for free. None of this last minute nonsense.

Thats a fine strategy if you are a rich club like Chelsea or Man City but even clubs like Man Utd sell fantastic players like Ronaldo when they receive bids they cannot afford to turn down. Every player has his price.

On a much smaller scale every City player will have his price as well and as I pointed out in an earlier post, unexpected bids do sometimes come in. Its therefore impossible to plan ahead. Do you suppose that City knew or were expecting a bid for Fontaine back in the summer? I very much doubt it. The board were not 'panicking' in accepting Southampton's bid, they were reacting in the most beneficial way for Bristol City FC.

The nature of the window system encourages buying clubs to leave things to last minuet in the hope they'll get players on the cheap. We'll see loads of last minuet deals tomorrow, some of which will almost certainly involve City.

Thats a fine strategy if you are a rich club like Chelsea or Man City but even clubs like Man Utd sell fantastic players like Ronaldo when they receive bids they cannot afford to turn down. Every player has his price.

On a much smaller scale every City player will have his price as well and as I pointed out in an earlier post, unexpected bids do sometimes come in. Its therefore impossible to plan ahead. Do you suppose that City knew or were expecting a bid for Fontaine back in the summer? I very much doubt it. The board were not 'panicking' in accepting Southampton's bid, they were reacting in the most beneficial way for Bristol City FC.

The nature of the window system encourages buying clubs to leave things to last minuet in the hope they'll get players on the cheap. We'll see loads of last minuet deals tomorrow, some of which will almost certainly involve City.

You are correct, at a club like ours, every player has a price

But, I still think you can plan and have contingency plans in place for these scenario's. If we get a bid that we cant refuse, simply accept and bring in a replacement - I know its not quite that simple, but we've been told in the past, that the club keeps tabs on lots of players.

Even if we sold Elliott, for 4m at 10.59pm on wednesday - we'd then have 7 days to look for a replacement on loan.

But what TRL is saying is that Millen and Sexstone do not seem to be saying the same things - It does not seem like they communicate very well. Which is worrying.

We rejected the first bid for Fonts as well but they came back with an offer deemed suitable,

Same is said for any player on our books if the board deem it value for money then they will accpet it,

The fact we've had little intrest in our players means we haven't seen anything yet,

The club isn't cash rich the owner is anything over 1 million for any defender (Wilson aside we will accept same with midfielders over 2m will be accpted and we all know the striker situation,

Those sort of bids Millen will have no say in as they are deemed to good to turn down

unexpected bids do sometimes come in. Its therefore impossible to plan ahead.

This does not logically follow in the slightest.

You can most certainly plan for what to do if unexpected bids come in and doing so properly will inform your decisions on how to negotiate them.

This does not logically follow in the slightest.

You can most certainly plan for what to do if unexpected bids come in and doing so properly will inform your decisions on how to negotiate them.

So......if I understand correctly, you think the board should have a plan on what they'd do if a bid may or may not come for any Bristol City player, all 30+ of them?

Perhaps I don't understand you correctly..............................dunno.gif

So......if I understand correctly, you think the board should have a plan on what they'd do if a bid may or may not come for any Bristol City player, all 30+ of them?

No, but the manager or his scouts should have a good knowledge of the market and whats available.

Plus you would'nt need a plan for all 30 would you? :facepalm: just the first team players would need replacing :doh:

The rest would not as we are trying to cut the squad down :doh:

FFS, I really do wonder about you robbo. Its not rocket science - Are you trying to make it look like rocket science to help your defence of millen? or are your really finding hard to understand?

The board should have a general strategy, something like "if an unexpected bid comes in we will assess it based on our ability to sign (or find within the development group) a replacement that we believe will be better quality in the longer term, have money left for improving other areas of the team or improving the balance sheet".

They should have a specific recruitment plan too - effectively a list of players for each position that the scouting networks keeps updated with details like form, fitness, estimates of transfer fee and wages.

Identification therefore has already been done, in fact it's constant, you are in a position when a big bid comes in for say Elliot, to look at your list of central midfielders with the manager, pick the right replacement and go attempt to sign them.

If the offer doesn't allow you to sign a replacement who you think will be better, you turn it down or negotiate to the point where it is.

The specifics can vary, the point is you must have thought through the implications and prepared or you'll have no way to respond in a timely fashion. It's not like we don't know when the transfer windows are...

This kind of planning is done in most businesses all the time, you don't need to wait for something to happen and react. In fact, doing so is a very reliable way of ensuring you fail.

The board should have a general strategy, something like "if an unexpected bid comes in we will assess it based on our ability to sign (or find within the development group) a replacement that we believe will be better quality in the longer term, have money left for improving other areas of the team or improving the balance sheet".

They should have a specific recruitment plan too - effectively a list of players for each position that the scouting networks keeps updated with details like form, fitness, estimates of transfer fee and wages.

Identification therefore has already been done, in fact it's constant, you are in a position when a big bid comes in for say Elliot, to look at your list of central midfielders with the manager, pick the right replacement and go attempt to sign them.

If the offer doesn't allow you to sign a replacement who you think will be better, you turn it down or negotiate to the point where it is.

The specifics can vary, the point is you must have thought through the implications and prepared or you'll have no way to respond in a timely fashion. It's not like we don't know when the transfer windows are...

This kind of planning is done in most businesses all the time, you don't need to wait for something to happen and react. In fact, doing so is a very reliable way of ensuring you fail.

I'm sure the club have in place pretty much all the things you mention Nibor. These guys are not amateurs even though lots of fans think they are.

Archived