IGNORED

Formation Conundrum

internetjef

The funny thing is, the best club side in the World don't play with a Centre forward!

There thoughts are, why have a player standing up there on his own being marked by two Centre halfs.

It's all about movement and finding space at the right time.

I thought we played some of our best stuff for years when Noble played in the "hole". Central defenders in this country aren't comfertable unless they have someone to mark,I really can't see a problem with someone like Albert drifting into the "hole" at times. His full back would pass him on but the centre halfs would be so unsure and taken out of there comfort zone.

:clapping: quality post.

Now Nicky stays that leaves us with 3 very good proven strikers - Nicky/Pitman/Stead.

4-5-1 has helped us stop the rot temporarily, and has given additional protection to the newly formed back 4.

Do we persist with it, meaning we leave at least two of our better players out every game?

Or do we try and switch back to 4-4-2, meaning we can get these better players in, but lose some of our solidity?

Ive always felt we have a squad more suited to 4-4-2, but 4-5-1 has been getting (some) results recently.

Tough call?

My first choice line up would be;

.....................James

Spence Fontaine Wilson McGivern

.....................Cisse

....................Kilkenny

Adomah........................Campbell-Ryce

..............Pitman

.........................Maynard

The dropping of Skuse and Elliott I feel won't happen however my thinking is that a change of faces with a change of shape may bring about a freshness to the team and hopefully a good performance at home with it, something we haven't seen for a while!

I think the back 4 pretty much writes itself with these, IMO our current first choices (aware we are yet to see McGivern) with Cisse playing in front of them to provide that extra cover, Kilkenny will have to be the linchpin in the midfield and a lot will rely on his distribution although it will remain to be seen if this will work however it will certainly be better than Skuse's or Elliott's.

Adomah is a given playing wide right where he is at his potent best giving the full back a hard time and getting balls into dangerous areas for the 2 boys up front with JCR switching between the attacking/defensive role while still providing that outlet on the left.

Pitman playing as the second striker just behind Maynard I feel will help the team link up the midfield and attack better rather than playing hoofball.

So this is just my opinion although I am preparing myself to get shot down :nono:

My first choice line up would be;

.....................James

Spence Fontaine Wilson McGivern

.....................Cisse

....................Kilkenny

Adomah........................Campbell-Ryce

..............Pitman

.........................Maynard

The dropping of Skuse and Elliott I feel won't happen however my thinking is that a change of faces with a change of shape may bring about a freshness to the team and hopefully a good performance at home with it, something we haven't seen for a while!

I think the back 4 pretty much writes itself with these, IMO our current first choices (aware we are yet to see McGivern) with Cisse playing in front of them to provide that extra cover, Kilkenny will have to be the linchpin in the midfield and a lot will rely on his distribution although it will remain to be seen if this will work however it will certainly be better than Skuse's or Elliott's.

Adomah is a given playing wide right where he is at his potent best giving the full back a hard time and getting balls into dangerous areas for the 2 boys up front with JCR switching between the attacking/defensive role while still providing that outlet on the left.

Pitman playing as the second striker just behind Maynard I feel will help the team link up the midfield and attack better rather than playing hoofball.

So this is just my opinion although I am preparing myself to get shot down :nono:

speechless-smiley-040.gif Are you on a mission?

Did you pack your parachute? praying%20smiley.gif

Best of luck RAF_Red fingerscrossed.gif

Some good intelligent posts on this thread, especially the point about a lack of planning in our recruitment, which I think dates back to McIndoe's exit.

Couple of thoughts, we've reverted to 4-5-1 as a result of a couple of hammerings, but after a run in the league of one win and two draws now (with 2 goals conceded) it may be that the more settled central defence of Nyatanga and Wilson can manage without the extra man in front of them pretty soon.

Secondly as others have said, the best solution to playing two in the middle is that one of them is entirely defensive, (think Rennie and Shelton, a perfect combination for me) which would mean a recall for Cisse. However Kalifa didn't have the greatest pre season (to put it mildly) and now appears completely out of favour.

I cannot see Millen changing his mind with him sadly, but also have to say that I don't share the Kilkenny love in, as based on what I've seen so far, defensively he adds little and plays so deep that he doesn't influence play when we create, either.

As Millen brought him in, I expect he'll get a decent run in the side but to bring this back to the thread title with Elliott (the sole midfield goal threat) and Skuse also seemingly undroppable, then Millen has a balancing act to pull off if he is to make the midfield function far better.......

I cannot see Millen changing his mind with him sadly, but also have to say that I don't share the Kilkenny love in, as based on what I've seen so far, defensively he adds little and plays so deep that he doesn't influence play when we create, either.

As Millen brought him in, I expect he'll get a decent run in the side but to bring this back to the thread title with Elliott (the sole midfield goal threat) and Skuse also seemingly undroppable, then Millen has a balancing act to pull off if he is to make the midfield function far better.......

Kilkenny can and does get forward at times. We saw that against Pompey and Skuse then drops back to provide cover. He scored a few for Leeds and if he's given license to push on more frequently he will provide more of a goal threat from midfield.

As for Skuse and Elliot. Millen has known them both for ages and trusts what they bring to the side. Neither are spectacular but both get stuck in and provide the much needed protection for the back four. Millen clearly has less faith in Cisse who has proved to be inconsistent when he's had a run in the side.

Its a difficult choice for Millen. Does he take a chance and play a more creative midfielder, Ried for example but leave out one of his most reliable players in Skuse or Elliot?

Tough call.

I'd go for similar to how Barcalona play,

In a kind of 4-3-3

James

Spence       Fontaine

Skuse                    McAllister

Cissé

Elliot        Killkeny

Adomah         Pitman

Maynard

BENCH: Gerken, Nyatanga, Campbell-Ryce, Woolford, Stead

Some good intelligent posts on this thread, especially the point about a lack of planning in our recruitment, which I think dates back to McIndoe's exit.

Couple of thoughts, we've reverted to 4-5-1 as a result of a couple of hammerings, but after a run in the league of one win and two draws now (with 2 goals conceded) it may be that the more settled central defence of Nyatanga and Wilson can manage without the extra man in front of them pretty soon.

Secondly as others have said, the best solution to playing two in the middle is that one of them is entirely defensive, (think Rennie and Shelton, a perfect combination for me) which would mean a recall for Cisse. However Kalifa didn't have the greatest pre season (to put it mildly) and now appears completely out of favour.

At the beginning of the season, managers tend to pick the sides that are the best in theory. Over a season, theory soon gives way to practicalities. That's why 4 4 2 was abandoned for 4 5 1 - the defence needed some protection. However, with no goals scored in 3 home games, Millen must be tempted to change something. He will have had 2 weeks to prepare for the Brighton game and will have it in mind that 3 of the next 4 are at home. We need a minimum of 6 points from the next 4 games. He needs to find a way of playing 4 4 2 that will produce a balanced midfield and surely having a clearer demarkation in the centre is part of it. That's why Cisse should come into the starting eleven and play with Marv. One protects, the other is allowed to stretch his legs and look to score goals.

I wonder how maynard would get on played in 'the hole'

he would certainly see moe ball, and we know he can shoot fom range.

we could set up the way the use rooney at man u now (when hernandez is fit)

--------------------------GK---------------------------

DF-------------DF-----------------DF------------DF

-----------Elliot/Skuse----------Killa----------------

Adomah------------------------------------------JCR

-----------------------Maynard-----------------------

--------------------Pitman/Stead-------------------

Why not change the positions for Maynard and Pitman?

Because Pitman likes to come in from the left to shoot with his right foot.

He scored the majority of his goals at Bournemouth this way.

That's why KM plays him on the left,I expect hes more than happy with that, but unfortunately the forum coaches don't get it!

Wishful thinking. If we have a split striker, it's Clarkson. And we know his limitations. Maynard is a goalscoring centre forward. The vision he has is focused on the goal net, not clever through balls and linking up play.

I was thinking this on Friday after watching England play. The 4-2-3-1 worked well because it had discipline, width and flexability.

I would play Maynard in the Ashley Young position as he can play deep, wide and frighten defences with his pace. He is not strong enough to play up top on his own in the Rooney position. Stead is clever enough to play on his own so i would go

.......................James......................

Spence.....Carey..........Wilson............Mcgiven

................Elliot.............Kilkenny................

...Adomah...........Maynard....................JCR

.............................Stead..............................

Archived