IGNORED

False Economy

Pete1975Legend

First of all glad we kept hold of Maynard in a way although I think Pitman could have done as good a job.

If Maynard doesn't sign a new contract and to be fair it doesn't look like he will be. Have we shot ourselves in the foot by not selling him for the money offered as he can walk away for nothing end of the season. Should this really of been the case? The more I think about it the more I think that we probably should have sold him on!

If Maynard signs - Great work by the club.

If he does not - massive and costly mistake.

In a nutshell Riaz !

I would imagine the only poster truely happy with this outcome is BCAGFC. He doesn't have to take all his posters off the walls now.!! :whistle2:

In a nutshell Riaz !

I would imagine the only poster truely happy with this outcome is BCAGFC. He doesn't have to take all his posters off the walls now.!! :whistle2:

The question now is, now he has'nt got his big move, will he sign the deal?

or will he screw us over and leave for nothing?

The club aren't stupid, they must have factored this scenario into everything.

SL must be prepared to take the hit.

Hang on a minute! I thought we were skint, could'nt afford to bring any defenders in and trying to get value for money....

but we are willing to lose 6 million quid? That makes sense.

He's probably not short of cash but as of today up until January he'll be on his current contract wage. He can either stay as he is until January or work with the club to sign a new contract (with higher wages) with a nice "get out clause" if a Prem club offers what we think he's worth. Works for both NM and BCFC. He then has between now and January to score 15 goals and seriously boost (or prove) his value.

Hmm, bid comes in for Fontaine - club wants to reject it but Fonts says he'd like to talk to them therefore bid accepted.

Bid comes in for Maynard - club wants to reject it, can't believe the club didn't discuss it with NM, but even if they didn't he's big enough and ugly enough to tell the club he'd like to talk to them, but the bid(s) remain rejected.

Ergo, the club knew that Maynard wasn't interested in a move to another championship club and therefore it made no sense to accept it.

Hmm, bid comes in for Fontaine - club wants to reject it but Fonts says he'd like to talk to them therefore bid accepted.

Bid comes in for Maynard - club wants to reject it, can't believe the club didn't discuss it with NM, but even if they didn't he's big enough and ugly enough to tell the club he'd like to talk to them, but the bid(s) remain rejected.

Ergo, the club knew that Maynard wasn't interested in a move to another championship club and therefore it made no sense to accept it.

How do you know the Club didn't speak to NM about it? How do you know NM doesn't want to go to another Championship side?

Who knows anything about NM's contract and what he wants to do?

The only thing i've heard is that the Club have said that they would prefer not to sell to another Championship side and that's it.

Everything else is supposition...like many things on this forum. The more you read on here lately, the more you realise that most fans haven't got the foggiest about what is happening at our Club. Not their fault...but the fault of the Club for sending out mixed messages. Which leads to so much frustration.

How do you know the Club didn't speak to NM about it? How do you know NM doesn't want to go to another Championship side?

The only thing i've heard is that the Club have said that they would prefer not to sell to another Championship side and that's it.

Everything else is supposition...like many things on this forum. The more you read on here lately, the more you realise that most fans haven't got the foggiest about what is happening at our Club. Not their fault...but the fault of the Club for sending out mixed messages. Which leads to so much frustration.

fair points indeed.

I have also said before, more than once, that given the choice of selling and holding on to a player who does not sign a contract extension and goes on to bang in loads of goals poses a genuine reason for being positive of the latter; If we end up inside the play offs come May and subsequently win promotion he will have more than paid for any prior sale foregone. If he goes or stays at that time it will be somewhat irrelevant.

And as many have said we do not appear to have had an offer from a prem team in this window anyway so I think the club have played this rather well and probably know exactly what strategy to adopt given that fact.

Simply put and Ive said this a few times

If Maynard waits to the end of the season and goes on a Bosman and we are still in this league, then we have 'saved' at least 5 million by not getting relegated. On the flip side of the coin, if his goals manage to fire us into the play offs or something, again the dividend from making the thing would help off set any fee.

i cant see what the issue is and why people are so keen to sell. I dont spose that the Cardiff fans were going batty last season when Jay Bothroyd was doing the business on the pitch and then left for free at the end of the season.

Its a more continental thing for players to actually stay for the duration of their contracts and leave. As said above the transfer fee that people are going utterly ape about doesnt matter a jot if he stays and keeps us in this league. As he has been with us a number of seasons now and his goals have more than kept us in this league, Id also wager that he has repaid his 2.25 million or whatever it was, because we have been able to maintain the revenue streams from the Championship

Spot on.

If Maynard signs - Great work by the club.

If he does not - massive and costly mistake.

Yes and yes

But if maynard had said no to Leicester and Forest then not much the club could have done.

Personally I think he will run it down. In every way it makes sense for him.... Unless he gets himself a big injury, which would always be in the back of my mind if I was him.

Personally I would sign our contract with caveats, After all it is just a well paid insurance policy.

If Maynard waits to the end of the season and goes on a Bosman and we are still in this league, then we have 'saved' at least 5 million by not getting relegated. On the flip side of the coin, if his goals manage to fire us into the play offs or something, again the dividend from making the thing would help off set any fee.

i cant see what the issue is and why people are so keen to sell. I dont spose that the Cardiff fans were going batty last season when Jay Bothroyd was doing the business on the pitch and then left for free at the end of the season.

Its a more continental thing for players to actually stay for the duration of their contracts and leave. As said above the transfer fee that people are going utterly ape about doesnt matter a jot if he stays and keeps us in this league. As he has been with us a number of seasons now and his goals have more than kept us in this league, Id also wager that he has repaid his 2.25 million or whatever it was, because we have been able to maintain the revenue streams from the Championship

+1 to this.

Yes and yes

But if maynard had said no to Leicester and Forest then not much the club could have done.

Personally I think he will run it down. In every way it makes sense for him.... Unless he gets himself a big injury, which would always be in the back of my mind if I was him.

Personally I would sign our contract with caveats, After all it is just a well paid insurance policy.

TBH i don't think that will worry him, if i was in his position, didn't sign and got injured i would be confident the club would offer me another contract. Unless it was a career ending injury.

I was all for taking the money to bolster our defence and creative midfield as i have faith in Stead, Pitman, Taylor and even Adomah or trying a little JCR up front.. it worked for Neville or Riley.. but now ive read your post, it has changed my view and makes perfect sense... Although we do need an experienced centre half and creative midfielder...

TBH i don't think that will worry him, if i was in his position, didn't sign and got injured i would be confident the club would offer me another contract. Unless it was a career ending injury.

Well that was what I was inimating at when saying Big injury. I guess you take a gamblers risk. Personally I think if you are good enough you will get a move.

If you are willing to forgo a little money and sign a new contract with caveats there is no risk, if it is all about getting the best monatary deal for you then you run it down and pray nothing snaps before you sign for your new club.

I would do the former, intersting to see what Nicky does, either way it will be in his own best interests.

We'll be nowhere near the play offs with or without Maynard, I don't think that gamble comes into anybody's thinking. So turning down 5-6m. simply becomes a gamble to make sure we avoid relegation.

However Pitman will certainly score goals given the chance - would the few extra Maynard might score really make so much difference to our chances of avoiding relegation? Not in my book.

City have a stated policy to leave behind the bad old days of continually signing ageing journeymen looking for a last paycheck and instead look to signing young players with resale value.

Selling Maynard would be the perfect opportunity to put that into practice and bring some badly needed cash into the club while not jeopardising our season.

It seems we will never take advantage of our most saleable assets - it really isn't appropriate for club's in City's position to pretend that 6m. is somehow meaningless.

By the way, how much extra money do City make each season by being in the Championship?dunno.gif

Umh, it's called speculating. Pretty much 99% of the posts on here do it. 99% of people down the pub do it. Most news reports do it. Why do you have an issue with it?

Yes and yes

I think it'll be interesting to see if Maynard is still prepared to put himself in situations where he could potentially get injured.

If he won't, we shouldn't play him.

Umh, it's called speculating. Pretty much 99% of the posts on here do it. 99% of people down the pub do it. Most news reports do it. Why do you have an issue with it?

Your Quote...

cheese, on 01 September 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

'Hmm, bid comes in for Fontaine - club wants to reject it but Fonts says he'd like to talk to them therefore bid accepted.

Ergo, the club knew that Maynard wasn't interested in a move to another championship club and therefore it made no sense to accept it.'

You've said...'Can't believe the club didn't discuss it with him'.

'The Club knew that Maynard wasn't interested in amove...'

That's not speculation. That's written matter of factly.

And no i don't have a problem with it. Just asking whether you knew for sure?

With respect, why is it most people on here have to respond confrontationally when they are asked a question or reply and try to have a civil conversation or debate? Not aimed at you...but it has been increasingly irritating.

Your Quote...

cheese, on 01 September 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

'Hmm, bid comes in for Fontaine - club wants to reject it but Fonts says he'd like to talk to them therefore bid accepted.

Ergo, the club knew that Maynard wasn't interested in a move to another championship club and therefore it made no sense to accept it.'

You've said...'Can't believe the club didn't discuss it with him'.

'The Club knew that Maynard wasn't interested in amove...'

That's not speculation. That's written matter of factly.

And no i don't have a problem with it. Just asking whether you knew for sure?

With respect, why is it most people on here have to respond confrontationally when they are asked a question or reply and try to have a civil conversation or debate? Not aimed at you...but it has been increasingly irritating.

Well no, I don't know for certain but seems a reasonable scenario. I agree with the confrontational bit but, with all due respect, you were the one who posted with a plethora of seemingly confrontational questions! Just saying like.

First of all glad we kept hold of Maynard in a way although I think Pitman could have done as good a job.

If Maynard doesn't sign a new contract and to be fair it doesn't look like he will be. Have we shot ourselves in the foot by not selling him for the money offered as he can walk away for nothing end of the season. Should this really of been the case? The more I think about it the more I think that we probably should have sold him on!

In answer to your question without all the voluminous conjecture... YES

We are going to be neither relegated nor promoted.

There is clearly no ambition to be promoted until the Utopian Stadium arrives hence no real investment required to buy the necessary players to achieve it

We have a sufficiently strong squad to finish mid table but what we lack is a manager to coordianate and motivate them This will be provided once the new stadium is built and Millen will be re-employed in another capacity or sent down the road.

The Board are not going to make any money available for Premier League quality players during Millens tenure as Manager.

We should have taken the £4.5 million offered for Maynard by Leicester and the £350K offered by Charlton for Ribeiro. Both will now leave the club for nothing come May next and good luck to them.

How can Maynards heart be possibly in his game when he has turned down an improved offer from City, his agent not allowed to negotiate with another team and himself having made it perfectly obvious that he wants Premier League football !

There is clearly no ambition to be promoted until the Utopian Stadium arrives hence no real investment required to buy the necessary players to achieve it

We have a sufficiently strong squad to finish mid table but what we lack is a manager to coordianate and motivate them This will be provided once the new stadium is built and Millen will be re-employed in another capacity or sent down the road.

The Board are not going to make any money available for Premier League quality players during Millens tenure as Manager.

We should have taken the £4.5 million offered for Maynard by Leicester and the £350K offered by Charlton for Ribeiro. Both will now leave the club for nothing come May next and good luck to them.

How can Maynards heart be possibly in his game when he has turned down an improved offer from City, his agent not allowed to negotiate with another team and himself having made it perfectly obvious that he wants Premier League football !

I tend to agree with you on this.

This whole Stadium issue seems to be holding us back. We really need to kick on regardless.

It could be 2/3 years before we are playing in a new stadium, if at all.

If we have to endure 2-3 more seasons of what we are watching at the moment, then i can see us playing to 10,000 every week.

I feel amongst most fans, they feel nothing worthwhile is going to happen until we are in the new Stadium, hense the general feeling of apathy. Just going through the motions hardly inspires many to support, especially in such hard economic times.

I agree with most of what you say but I do genuinely believe that the current squad could be relegated, due to a combination of inexperienced management and demotivated players, many of whom don't think they'll be here after this season. It's a lethal combination.

And do you really think we're stuck with Millen until the pie in the sky stadium is built? My God, what a depressing thought.

Has it crossed anyones mind that Maynard might not have wanted to go to any of the Clubs that put a bid in?

He has every right to stay here on his contract until it runs out. You can't just sell a player if he doesn't want to go.

Exactly. Sven said that the club didn't want to sell him and the player "didn't want to come here" (Leicester).

So even if we had accepted a bid it is appears unlikely that Maynard would have agreed to the move. Why would he commit himself to a new long-term contract with another Championship club if his aim is to play in the Premier League?

I have no doubt that if Maynard had expressed a desire to move to Leicester he would be gone by now. As it is he is content to bide his time and try and get a dream move to a Premier League club in January, or leave as a free agent at the end of the season when in the absence of a transfer fee he will be able to negotiate a substantial signing on fee with his new club.

Exactly. Sven said that the club didn't want to sell him and the player "didn't want to come here" (Leicester).

So even if we had accepted a bid it is appears unlikely that Maynard would have agreed to the move. Why would he commit himself to a new long-term contract with another Championship club if his aim is to play in the Premier League?

I have no doubt that if Maynard had expressed a desire to move to Leicester he would be gone by now. As it is he is content to bide his time and try and get a dream move to a Premier League club in January, or leave as a free agent at the end of the season when in the absence of a transfer fee he will be able to negotiate a substantial signing on fee with his new club.

Or maybe it is possible that he is currently happy here and looking forward to having his baby with his Girlfriend and settling down. Who knows?

Or maybe it is possible that he is currently happy here and looking forward to having his baby with his Girlfriend and settling down. Who knows?

If that was the case he would have already signed the new contract which will considerably increase his wages and offer him greater security. I can't see that it makes any sense for him to remain on his 2008 contract, with its lower wages, if he intends to stay.

Archived