IGNORED

The Reason For The Lack Of Signings?

Kibs

So why do we find it so hard to get our transfer targets? Keith Millen and the board were obviously trying to get players in throughout the summer but didn't get what they wanted. I don't think there is any doubt that we missed out on a number of players - not through a lack of trying.

I think the reason we have struggled to make the signings we had hoped for is that we are not "currently" a club with any appeal.

Normally players will move to clubs for a variety of reasons but mainly I would suggest the following:

The club pay well - (We do I'm sure to the current crop but It appears that CS is reigning this in)

A well known or proven manager

Good stadium/attendances

Good history

The club play attractive attacking football

The club is on the up

At this moment in time, I don't think we offer any of the above so what on earth is going to make somebody want to move to us?

IMO the club missed the boat following the Playoff Final season, Our stakes were high, we were in the media a lot and were seen as a club on the up. Unfortunately if I remember correctly, the then management decided that the current crop of players warranted another crack. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but that really was the time, If we were ever going to, to push the boat out.

Clubs in this division rarely stand still and at the moment, we are looking more like a bottom 8 team rather than a top 8 team. I do think we will stay up though, there are worse teams than us.

I think we are going to have to accept that the over the coming seasons, we are more likely to be looking at players from the leagues below us, not necessarily a bad thing, at least these types are hungry to succeed and will see us as a step up. I have become very frustrated with Keith but the more I think about it, the more I realize what a hard job he has on his hands. He will keep us up I am sure and next summer will see a massive turn around in the playing staff - We have needed this for a while, then we will see whether Millen can be a success at the club.

Just my thoughts of course, feel free to rip them apart biggrin.gif

So why do we find it so hard to get our transfer targets? Keith Millen and the board were obviously trying to get players in throughout the summer but didn't get what they wanted. I don't think there is any doubt that we missed out on a number of players - not through a lack of trying.

I think the reason we have struggled to make the signings we had hoped for is that we are not "currently" a club with any appeal.

Normally players will move to clubs for a variety of reasons but mainly I would suggest the following:

The club pay well - (We do I'm sure to the current crop but It appears that CS is reigning this in)

Good stadium/attendances

Good history

The club is on the up

At this moment in time, I don't think we offer any of the above so what on earth is going to make somebody want to move to us?

IMO the club missed the boat following the Playoff Final season, Our stakes were high, we were in the media a lot and were seen as a club on the up. Unfortunately if I remember correctly, the then management decided that the current crop of players warranted another crack. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but that really was the time, If we were ever going to, to push the boat out.

Clubs in this division rarely stand still and at the moment, we are looking more like a bottom 8 team rather than a top 8 team. I do think we will stay up though, there are worse teams than us.

I think we are going to have to accept that the over the coming seasons, we are more likely to be looking at players from the leagues below us, not necessarily a bad thing, at least these types are hungry to succeed and will see us as a step up. I have become very frustrated with Keith but the more I think about it, the more I realize what a hard job he has on his hands. He will keep us up I am sure and next summer will see a massive turn around in the playing staff - We have needed this for a while, then we will see whether Millen can be a success at the club.

Millen tried to sign 5 different quality players over the summer but 4 of them went to PL clubs and one signed a new deal at his existing club. Its because they were quality they mostly went to 'bigger' clubs. No-one can blame them for that and its not a poor reflection on our club.

Millen tried to sign 5 different quality players over the summer but 4 of them went to PL clubs and one signed a new deal at his existing club. Its because they were quality they mostly went to 'bigger' clubs. No-one can blame them for that and its not a poor reflection on our club.

Agree 100%

Yes I agree entirely, nobody in their right mind would choose us over a PL club and I don't believe I was blaming anybody currently at the club for anything?

I was just stating it had become increasingly difficult for us to sign the players we are targeting. So what is the answer?

Players do not want to a club like City, or rather they would far rather go elsewhere. Our incomings have been severely hampered by this.

But if Coppell was still manager, how many of them 4 would have still gone to the other clubs they did, i would say probably 2 max. My point is that no player is going to think, 'oh yea great, lets go and play for Keith Millen' because he's not an experienced or proven manager.

Very happy with the business we have done this summer. Tied up Albert and Marvin, kept Maynard. Brought Spence back in on loan. I know it would have been nice to get Caulker and Billy Jones aswell, but when the prem comes calling....what you gonna do?

The fact we get linked with Prem players now and nobody batters an eyelid just shows how far the club has come in 5 yrs.

Good stadium/attendances

Good history

The club is on the up

The only way this will ever change is if a massive billionaire benefactor came in and money attracted players. Bristol city no matter what we think is not a big draw.

Maybe the new wage cap for clubs will change this, but I can see it being overturned as it will impinge on employment law somewhere.

I am afraid we chose a average to mediocre club to support. But at least we get some excitement with promotions and relegation.

You make your choice of club and live with it. Better than glory hunting prem teams IMHO. Even if we are generally average Joes

The only way this will ever change is if a massive billionaire benefactor came in and money attracted players. Bristol city no matter what we think is not a big draw.

Maybe the new wage cap for clubs will change this, but I can see it being overturned as it will impinge on employment law somewhere.

I am afraid we chose a average to mediocre club to support. But at least we get some excitement with promotions and relegation.

You make your choice of club and live with it. Better than glory hunting prem teams IMHO. Even if we are generally average Joes

I take your point though disagree slightly, We were a club with appeal at certain points over the last few years but failed to capitalize on this. Swansea have come from nowhere and even if they had not got promoted, they would have a far better chance of signing the players they want due to the way they play football.

Also, I never chose to support City - I feel it was thrust upon me from a very young age, i wouldn't change it though city.gif

I take your point though disagree slightly, We were a club with appeal at certain points over the last few years but failed to capitalize on this. Swansea have come from nowhere and even if they had not got promoted, they would have a far better chance of signing the players they want due to the way they play football.

Also, I never chose to support City - I feel it was thrust upon me from a very young age, i wouldn't change it though city.gif

I'm the same as you. Blame your dad :)

Seriously though, apart from a few highlights in our history, I cannot think of one reason for quality players to come to us. Youngsters looking for a stepping stone maybe. But someone who is already quality.....

We need a bigger sugar daddy than lansdown for me to see a constantly successful city in my life time me thinks.

As important as new signings are maybe instead we should focus of the'developement team' and the academy for our stars I'm sure some of them could do us a job and help us keep our championship status

I doubt it most are not up to league football, the few that come through will make it in league 1 or 2 but very few will be up to championship standards,

Not for 5 years at least,

I think only Lita Hill Coles Harley Skuse Edwards Riberio Docs Carey Cotts are the ones that you could count as regular at this level and Coles/Docs are debatable,

Me and a few friends have been talking about the "not a lot going on" for some time.

We all believe that KM is purely a care taker. With loads of players contracts up for renewal end of this season it's quite feasible to think that a clear out is on the cards next close season along with a manager new manager.

BCFC will be very attractive to top quality managers when they have the finance to bring in their own staff on and off the pitch, along with perhaps a new stadium under construction.

KM is the best man for the job as we stand, i.e. knows the existing set up etc, but also cheap (ish) and easier to release if he doesn't step up to the plate.

This is pure speculation, but all fits if you think about it? :fingerscrossed:

I can see why you might conclude that as no quality experienced manager would be likely to take the job under present circumstances. However Steve has pinned his faith in Keith (and if Keith is to be believed decided years ago that he wanted him as manager) and will I believe stick with him, unless we are in real danger of relegation post Christmas. Right now he is a convenient and compliant human shield who takes the flak for club policy (as well as more justified criticism for some of his own actions) and will get his reward for that in due course.

Me and a few friends have been talking about the "not a lot going on" for some time.

We all believe that KM is purely a care taker. With loads of players contracts up for renewal end of this season it's quite feasible to think that a clear out is on the cards next close season along with a manager new manager.

This is pure speculation, but all fits if you think about it? :fingerscrossed:

It sure is......

I think Steve Lansdown would disagree with you. He did after all give Keef a 3 year contract. Hardly the deal to offer a 'caretaker' manager.

Unless City struggle all season and just avoid the drop Millen won't be replaced next summer.

It sure is......

I think Steve Lansdown would disagree with you. He did after all give Keef a 3 year contract. Hardly the deal to offer a 'caretaker' manager.

Unless City struggle all season and just avoid the drop Millen won't be replaced next summer.

Yah, I see where you are coming from, but I think there is something going on. KM is defiantly the cheap option even if he is paid off!

After recent events things don't seem to add up. It just feels like we are all just treading water until the arrival of ????. Perhaps it is me (and some friends) that are putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5, however a lot of things are making us all think a little more about the strange situation we find ourselves in.

Yah, I see where you are coming from, but I think there is something going on. KM is defiantly the cheap option even if he is paid off!

After recent events things don't seem to add up. It just feels like we are all just treading water until the arrival of ????. Perhaps it is me (and some friends) that are putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5, however a lot of things are making us all think a little more about the strange situation we find ourselves in.

There is nothing sinister going on.

Lansdown appointed Millen after he saw what a capable bloke he is in his capacity as number two to Tinnion and Johnson. SL realised that Keef knew Bristol City inside and out and had idea's about how things could be improved. When you appoint from within you know what your getting. So impressed was SL with Millen's vision for the club that he would have got the job after Johnson left had he agreed to take it.

I'm certain that Steve Lansdown sees Keef as a long term appointment, providing of course the team don't head for Div 1. Millen has already started to implement some of his plans with the coaching set up and development squad. He'll have other idea's that will get implemented over time.

I wish, I really wish, that people would write "definitely" rather than "defiantly".

And, while I'm on my high horse, please can people stop referring to Millen as "Keef"? It's very irritating.

Thanks.

I wish, I really wish, that people would write "definitely" rather than "defiantly".

And, while I'm on my high horse, please can people stop referring to Millen as "Keef"? It's very irritating.

Thanks.

Go with the flow Venus - weight of numbers, defiantly has defiantly usurped definitely on this forum. I defy anyone to say otherwise.

No turning back the tide, it's defiantly here to stay. doh.gif

As for 'Keef', you're right, it's really dumbing the bloke down, particularly odd as it's his supporters who mostly insist on calling him it.

Defiantly makes KM seem a bit thick.

Go with the flow Venus - weight of numbers, defiantly has defiantly usurped definitely on this forum. I defy anyone to say otherwise.

No turning back the tide, it's defiantly here to stay. doh.gif

As for 'Keef', you're right, it's really dumbing the bloke down, particularly odd as it's his supporters who mostly insist on calling him it.

Defiantly makes KM seem a bit thick.

All this is rediculous. :) or should I say ridiculous. That is the one that annoys me. Saying that, I'm one to talk , all the typos I have using my phone.

Archived