IGNORED

Does Leroy Rosenior Know Somethingwe Dont.?

the frampton balti

Just read the EP article,

Henderson, plummer,marvin bown goldbourne,stambolzy,and of course roseniors son.

Are there many more that have lost there way or slipped the net. Are we the same as all the other clubs?

or is there an inherent problem with us keeping or nurturing talent. ? were things done differently when leroy was at the club.

I definitely feel that the article required a bit more insight........................................

He may do.

However when these names get trotted out how many have actually made it?

His son may not be popular but fair play to him, a CV of Fulham, Reading and Hull certainly classifies him as a Championship player, thing is though we didn't ever want him to go, we simply cocked up his contract.

Golbourne? Good lad apparently, but he failed to make it at Reading and is now at Exeter, hardly the big time.

Stambolziev? So good he's still hawking himself around clubs for a deal after failing in Greece...

Harley is a weird one, he was apparently a bit of a fool whilst with us but if others knew he was so great when we let him go then how come his next port of call was Weston? Well done to him for getting his career back on track but he strikes me as someone who has matured as a person a bit later in life.

We may come to regret letting Harley go but as for the Plummers, Marvin Browns, Artuses and countless other "next big things", they are not even football league players now and that isn't all down to us.....

Scott Golbourne is a different case altogether, he was forced out of the club by the then manager (think it was GJ).

Not sure if he would have made it but he was playing 1st team football and still very young, so who knows.......but he certainly didn't want to leave.

BCAGFC

If you were churning out a list of names of Premier league players that we had never made any decent money on, then yes, there would appear to be a problem.

However, the fact that there are very few (if any) current players that we have released that have gone onto sustain careers that exceed what we as a club have achieved, really only goes to show that it was probably right to let them go.

Obviously, as with all clubs (even the best ones) the odd player will be deemed not good enough and go on to have a cracking career.

The fact that there are very few of these (bearing in mind there is a big difference between releasing and selling on for a good profit) raises the question moreso, Why are none of the players we have had on our books good enough?

Scott Golbourne is a different case altogether, he was forced out of the club by the then manager (think it was GJ).

Not sure if he would have made it but he was playing 1st team football and still very young, so who knows.......but he certainly didn't want to leave.

BCAGFC

He left under Danny Wilson!

BCAGFC

Was he forced out? Or was he tempted by a bigger club who came in for him? A good opportunity for him at the time.

Or did he not want to leave? I don't know. You might know him better than me.

Anyway, my response to the OP. - Does Leroy Rosenior know anything?

Even with hindsight I can't think of any player we've let go and come to 'regret', without valid reason to release them in the first place.

Interestingly after 14 games for us over 2 seasons and then leaving (for whatever reason) for Reading, they only awarded him TWO first team games in 2 years. Since then he has been knocking arond the likes of Wycombe and Exeter - so who made the wrong decision with him??!

If you were churning out a list of names of Premier league players that we had never made any decent money on, then yes, there would appear to be a problem.

However, the fact that there are very few (if any) current players that we have released that have gone onto sustain careers that exceed what we as a club have achieved, really only goes to show that it was probably right to let them go.

Obviously, as with all clubs (even the best ones) the odd player will be deemed not good enough and go on to have a cracking career.

The fact that there are very few of these (bearing in mind there is a big difference between releasing and selling on for a good profit) raises the question moreso, Why are none of the players we have had on our books good enough?

very good point . perhaps our academy set up is a little bit ' league 1'. Southampton seem to produce better? maybe there is a better model.

very good point . perhaps our academy set up is a little bit ' league 1'. Southampton seem to produce better? maybe there is a better model.

In fairness Southampton have had a strong youth set up for a long long time. I remember as a kid, one of my mums friends son's (who was highly rated, but cant remember his name) getting signed on by Southampton and apparently City or Rovers never had a look in.

In fairness, that probably hasalot to do with many years established as a top flight club before their more recent demise, although the foundations of a good youth and scouting network would already have been in lace as a result of their top flight status.

It seems a touch ironic, that while we are desperate to offload the likes of Stewart and Hunt and their inflated wage packets..........tomorrow sees the visit of the League Leaders, a side containing a striker who played on our doorstep at Paulton Rovers and an outstanding midfield playmaker who was deemed not good enough for our side. I guess it happens at all clubs.......and maybe just seems more apparent at Ashton Gate at the moment. As they are of similar age, It shouldl be interesting to see the opposing merits of Kilkenny and Harley in the midfield tomorrow.

It seems a touch ironic, that while we are desperate to offload the likes of Stewart and Hunt and their inflated wage packets..........tomorrow sees the visit of the League Leaders, a side containing a striker who played on our doorstep at Paulton Rovers and an outstanding midfield playmaker who was deemed not good enough for our side. I guess it happens at all clubs.......and maybe just seems more apparent at Ashton Gate at the moment. As they are of similar age, It shouldl be interesting to see the opposing merits of Kilkenny and Harley in the midfield tomorrow.

Ah, hindsight......

Ryan Harley left City 6 years ago and went to play for Weston-Super-mare. At the time letting him go was a straightforward decision. Dropping to such a low standard was obviously a kick up the arse and fair play to him he's made something of his career since.

Ah, hindsight......

Ryan Harley left City 6 years ago and went to play for Weston-Super-mare. At the time letting him go was a straightforward decision. Dropping to such a low standard was obviously a kick up the arse and fair play to him he's made something of his career since.

Exactly. Players turning around a bad situation, giving themselves a kick up the ass and becoming better for the experience is a refreshing, yet all to rare occurance.

Situations don't always have/need someone to blame or a club to be at fault.

Was he forced out? Or was he tempted by a bigger club who came in for him? A good opportunity for him at the time.

Or did he not want to leave? I don't know. You might know him better than me.

Scott was forced out by GJ who needed cash to make some signings, a bit like the Danny Haynes sale last season.

I can remember being in the Supporters Club and someone reading out a letter from SG (a relation IIRC) stating that he didn't want to leave BCFC but had been told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't be getting 1st team football under GJ and it would be better for everyone concerned if he went to Reading.

He still had a lot to learn but we will never if he would have made it...........at least we would have had cover for McAllister.

BCAGFC

Scott was forced out by GJ who needed cash to make some signings, a bit like the Danny Haynes sale last season.

I can remember being in the Supporters Club and someone reading out a letter from SG (a relation IIRC) stating that he didn't want to leave BCFC but had been told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't be getting 1st team football under GJ and it would be better for everyone concerned if he went to Reading.

He still had a lot to learn but we will never if he would have made it...........at least we would have had cover for McAllister.

BCAGFC

i thought reading were in the championship at the time. Much better chance of first team football at league 1 city ........................surely he was bought by a better club because of potential.

i thought reading were in the championship at the time. Much better chance of first team football at league 1 city ........................surely he was bought by a better club because of potential.

Potential which turned out to be the grand total of 2 games in 2 years before being shipped out to Wycombe on loan and the Exeter.

Think GJ was proved fully justified in his decision with SG and in fairness, ever other player that left during his tenure. Whilst some of his incoming transfers were shite, the outgoings were all justified by the fact that none of them went on to better things than BCFC have achived in the last 6 years or so.

Potential which turned out to be the grand total of 2 games in 2 years before being shipped out to Wycombe on loan and the Exeter.

Think GJ was proved fully justified in his decision with SG and in fairness, ever other player that left during his tenure. Whilst some of his incoming transfers were shite, the outgoings were all justified by the fact that none of them went on to better things than BCFC have achived in the last 6 years or so.

the assumption here is that if a player doesnt make it somewhere else then the decision was right. It may be that it was an unsettling experience and that the club was too hasty making the decision to sell offload or whatever.

It would then follow that players like harley must have been releasd by mistake . Personally i think its not so cut and dried, each case is of course different. However the job of the academy is to produce players for the club and local talent should not be turning up in brighton or doncaster or southampton.

Ah, hindsight......

..............and 6 years later Swansea paid £250.000 for him, a great price, which we could easily have afforded to pay Exeter if we had pulled our fingers out...........but we were too busy buying wingers........and so he will be playing for the League Leaders instead, under a manager who seems to know his way around the transfer market.

Interestingly after 14 games for us over 2 seasons and then leaving (for whatever reason) for Reading, they only awarded him TWO first team games in 2 years. Since then he has been knocking arond the likes of Wycombe and Exeter - so who made the wrong decision with him??!

How old was Golbourne when he was transferred to Reading, 18/19?

Being a Bristolian and life long Bristol City fan (Dad in the SC, I believe) no doubt his dream had always been to play for BCFC.

He was doing nicely at AG and apparently didn't want to leave.

Imagine any of us as Bristol City fans who got the chance to play for BCFC at such a young age, were doing well, and thought we had a long term future in the Red shirt.

Bit of a sickener to suddenly be sold to Reading at 18/19 I'd have thought.

He may do.

However when these names get trotted out how many have actually made it?

His son may not be popular but fair play to

him, a CV of Fulham, Reading and Hull certainly classifies him as a Championship player, thing is though we didn't ever want him to go, we simply cocked up his contract.

Golbourne? Good lad apparently, but he failed to make it at Reading and is now at Exeter, hardly the big time

Stambolziev? So good he's still hawking himself around clubs for a deal after failing in Greece...

Harley is a weird one, he was apparently a bit of a fool whilst with us but if others knew he was so great when we let him go then how come his next port of call was Weston? Well done to him for getting his career back on track but he strikes me assomeone who has matured as a person a bit later in life.

We may come to regret letting Harley go but as for the Plummers, Marvin

Browns, Artuses and countless other "next big things", they are not even football league players now and that isn't all down to us.....

plummer is a league player actually

Golbourne was actually a very good prospect and was looking a very good player, remember Matt Hill saying when he left that he had to go as it would be embrassing when his cousin took his place in the team.

The move to Reading came to soon though and he's stagniated since,

As for Golbourne himself, he didn't actually want the move and if I recall correctly, the talk was he was very upset that City had agreed to sell him, but as we know Johnson wasn't a fan of giving young players a chance.

How City reported Golbourne's sale

http://www.bcfc.co.u...~761685,00.html

Only 17 then and he'd already made 16 first team appearances and been capped for England at U17 and U19 levels.

Apparently a star in the making with a big future ahead of him which ground to a halt on leaving AG.

You can't help but feel he'd have done a lot better if he'd remained at City.

BCAGFC

OK, cheers for that.

His career may well have followed a different path if he stayed with us and had a run in the team. He was a good young player.

But if the sale represented a good deal for City then i'm not surprised that GJ forced the issue, especially if Scott had doubts about going.

Archived