IGNORED

Substitution Cost Us That Game

I BELIEVE

I have always felt with football managers that they are constantly trying to show how clever they are by doing perverse things. Taking off your best player on the day is just one example. Playing players out of position appears to be Keith's normal favourite. They don't take all those coaching badges just to do what is obviously right.:innocent06:

Though JCR may have had an injury perhaps.

We never looked like winning before a ball was even kicked, we should not be playing 4-5-1 at home, it is a defensive/counter attacking formation which is ideale away from home, but playing like that at home - it almost feels like we're setting ourselves out for a 0-0 draw?

Couldn't go to day (possibly mercifully so) due to work, but heard 2nd half on the radio. Neither Brendan Mitchell commentating, nor Adam Baker could work out what Millen's thinking was with that substitution. One thing is very clear.....his tactics didn't work.......again..... The 2nd half sounded dismal, and having spoken to people at the game, the first seems to have been equally bad...

Looking forward to Robbored's defence of his mate....

We never looked like winning before a ball was even kicked, we should not be playing 4-5-1 at home, it is a defensive/counter attacking formation which is ideale away from home, but playing like that at home - it almost feels like we're setting ourselves out for a 0-0 draw?

I take it that is the aim, with the hope that we might sneak a goal. Keith said we could not afford the number of home defeats we had last season so is presumably looking for draws to stabilise things. I wonder if there is a Plan B?:disapointed2se:

Until the subs we were doin the right thing. 451 wasn't that bad today, because we were pressing high up the pitch and won the ball alot in their half.

But the subs were terrible. If you bring on Jon stead, you play him as the main man up front, not on the left!

Should have went 442 when stead came on... God knows what we were playin at the end!!

100% agree.

Capmbell-Ryce off Stead on.

We are on top so we take of one of our most creative in form players and it goes wrong. I am struggling to defend Millen on this one i'm afraid

Sorry, that's simply not the case. We lost the game because we switched off at a corner and they took advantage. Stead was poor when he came on, but we still created opportunities.

Until the subs we were doin the right thing. 451 wasn't that bad today, because we were pressing high up the pitch and won the ball alot in their half.

But the subs were terrible. If you bring on Jon stead, you play him as the main man up front, not on the left!

Should have went 442 when stead came on... God knows what we were playin at the end!!

If God knows perhaps he could tell Keith?:innocent06: I'm sure he'll be doing plenty of this. praying%20smiley.gif

I take it that is the aim, with the hope that we might sneak a goal. Keith said we could not afford the number of home defeats we had last season so is presumably looking for draws to stabilise things. I wonder if there is a Plan B?:disapointed2se:

After today's substitutions the answer must be no. When I saw Stead coming on I hoped it was going to give some support to Maynard in 4-4-2 in an attempt to nick and equaliser but Stead lined up on the left wing. That was a complete surprise to everyone and served no apparent reason.

After today's substitutions the answer must be no. When I saw Stead coming on I hoped it was going to give some support to Maynard in 4-4-2 in an attempt to nick and equaliser but Stead lined up on the left wing. That was a complete surprise to everyone and served no apparent reason.

This is not a dig but it's nice to see that you're being objective.

Millen has displayed a great deal of tactical naivety in his tenure, and that is what worries me most.

Not a surprise surely? He has done it regularly with both Stead and Pitman. It seems he is absolutely determined to continue this ludicrous tactic; I can only assume he learned it on some coaching course.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

A sure sign too of management incompetence in any walk of life imo, Bankers, politicians and football managers seem to be particularly prone.

Archived