IGNORED

Dave Jones

iWurzel

you may be right, you may be wrong on what he might do today; i do not doubt you have your facts right on what he said in the past.

Consider for a moment though what Coppell recently said, in fact only this week as i understand it; i would like to get back into football and by that i assume he means management of some kind. this is the same man who said he is retiring after he left city. The fact he said it to smooth the path out, as you yourself put it, may indeed be relevant and render my comparison with DJ a poor one. But, on the other hand, it may not be. In short, we just don't know.

I take your point but Coppell basically said he was retiring so as not to cause any media intrusion into his real reason and whatever we think of him and his signings his reason was to exit without slagging off SL - who he felt he couldn't work with. ie a good lie to spare the club.

Dave Jones assertion that he would never talk to a club with a manager in place stems from the most traumatic time of his life when he was falsely accused, his father died from the shock, and his kids went through hell at school, and whilst this was going on Hoddle went behind his back and negotiated to take his job.

I can see Coppell lied to spare the club any embarassment - but the Dave Jones situation is so diffferent and whilst he might - say - mislead the media over a player he might or might not be interested in, I don't see him breaking the principle he established as it all meant so much to him on a personal rather than work level,

CR

You're in fantasy land - do you REALLY think Keith would accept such a public humiliation. How many managers agree to drop down into coaching when a new man gets their job - I'll save you the trouble of looking it up : answer = none

Dave Jones has not spoken to BCFC

CR

If Keith had gone to the board and volunteered that he thought the managers job was too much for him, and the board asked him to press on til the ink was dry with a new managers signature on a contract, would it really be humiliation? Depends on the size of your ego I guess, and KM doesn't strike me as particularly egotistical. Is it likely? Maybe. Is it probable? I've been surprised before

You're in fantasy land - do you REALLY think Keith would accept such a public humiliation. How many managers agree to drop down into coaching when a new man gets their job - I'll save you the trouble of looking it up : answer = none

CR

It would be one way of ensuring he still has a job. If he carries on 'as is' then it is looking more and more likely that he will be out of work by Christmas. If he went to the board and said he wanted to just be a coach and they agreed, he would still have a job at Bristol City. He has lived in this area a long time and perhaps does not want to move his family away to another club/area.

Dave Jones has not spoken to BCFC

You cannot know if he has or has not spoken to the club unless you are actually CS (and neither can the rest of us!).

Billy Davies record

2 play off positions with Preston - no promotions

1 play off and promotion to the Premier league with Derby

Dave Jones record

2 play off positions with Cardiff - no promotions

1play off and promotion to the Premier league with Wolves

1 promotion to the championship with Stockport

Check your facts - Dave Jones has a better record!

CR

Didn't Billy Davies also take Nottingham Forest to 2 succesive play off's ??

I take your point but Coppell basically said he was retiring so as not to cause any media intrusion into his real reason and whatever we think of him and his signings his reason was to exit without slagging off SL - who he felt he couldn't work with. ie a good lie to spare the club.

Dave Jones assertion that he would never talk to a club with a manager in place stems from the most traumatic time of his life when he was falsely accused, his father died from the shock, and his kids went through hell at school, and whilst this was going on Hoddle went behind his back and negotiated to take his job.

I can see Coppell lied to spare the club any embarassment - but the Dave Jones situation is so diffferent and whilst he might - say - mislead the media over a player he might or might not be interested in, I don't see him breaking the principle he established as it all meant so much to him on a personal rather than work level,

CR

Well, different scenarios of course they are. We'll find out, i think, relatively soon unless we emerge from this nightmare with about 8 wins from the next 10.

Needs to check his facts apparently....

Yes you're right - I thought he had just missed out but he did indeed get them to the play off twice

I'd still rather have Jones as I think he'd be better at managing the whole club, as an example at Saints he

overhauled the entire scouting system employing 12 people and each week they would watch every game in the Championship, the

following week every game in L1, then L2, Conf, Prem reserve, and back to the Championship.

Each scout emailed him his report after the game and he read everything through on the Saturday night.

He did the same at Wolves, not sure about Cardiff as they may not have had the cash to do it.

CR

It would be one way of ensuring he still has a job. If he carries on 'as is' then it is looking more and more likely that he will be out of work by Christmas. If he went to the board and said he wanted to just be a coach and they agreed, he would still have a job at Bristol City. He has lived in this area a long time and perhaps does not want to move his family away to another club/area.

You cannot know if he has or has not spoken to the club unless you are actually CS (and neither can the rest of us!).

No manager stays on as it's not fair on the new man coming in,

Everything Jones has said publically indicates he wouldn't have spoken

to City (yet)

He could of course be a lying unprincipled a--hole who says one thing and does the other and is happy to stab Keith in the back - but I don 't think he is.

CR

No manager stays on as it's not fair on the new man coming in,

Everything Jones has said publically indicates he wouldn't have spoken

to City (yet)

He could of course be a lying unprincipled a--hole who says one thing and does the other and is happy to stab Keith in the back - but I don 't think he is.

CR

Maybe it would be a simple question like "would you be interested IF the job became vacant"

And if he said yes, I dont think he would be doing anything wrong.

no matter how much I want millen gone I would be annoyed if the board were doing somthing behind his back, its just not cricket and shows a complete lack of respect, but with sexston incharge you never know, I just don't know how to take that man

It may not be cricket but it is reality. Many clubs line up a potential replacement before they sack the current manager.

Ok, couple of things. Firstly and what has already been mentioned, I dont believe for one second we have a manager lined up for October. As has been pointed out, if Millen suddenly went 4 or 5 games undefeated.....then what??

Secondly, if something IS or HAS been done behind behind Millens back, then I would guess the only people who would know about it would be the Board of directors and owner etc. There is no way this is going to be leaked to a member of the public as it would make the current board look bad, and could put off any potential future managers. I mean, who would want to work for someone that are known back stabbers??

This is nothing more then a rumour, that has gone round the houses and keeps being recycled.

The board arnt completely daft (I hope), no doubt they are planning ahead and the possibility a new manager may be needed in the future has crossed their minds more then once. No doubt Dave Jones would be a name considered.

Do I think any approach has been made or anything lined up?? ........no chance

Ok, couple of things. Firstly and what has already been mentioned, I dont believe for one second we have a manager lined up for October. As has been pointed out, if Millen suddenly went 4 or 5 games undefeated.....then what??

Secondly, if something IS or HAS been done behind behind Millens back, then I would guess the only people who would know about it would be the Board of directors and owner etc. There is no way this is going to be leaked to a member of the public as it would make the current board look bad, and could put off any potential future managers. I mean, who would want to work for someone that are known back stabbers??

This is nothing more then a rumour, that has gone round the houses and keeps being recycled.

The board arnt completely daft (I hope), no doubt they are planning ahead and the possibility a new manager may be needed in the future has crossed their minds more then once. No doubt Dave Jones would be a name considered.

Do I think any approach has been made or anything lined up?? ........no chance

Spot on, I don't understand how so many people think this is a possibility. Particularly the circumstances and details of this idiotic rumour.

It's so farfetched.

Spot on, I don't understand how so many people think this is a possibility. Particularly the circumstances and details of this idiotic rumour.

It's so farfetched.

This particular rumour is far fetched.

But its not far fetched that either SL or CS may have had informal conversations with potential candidates.

But its not far fetched that either SL or CS may have had informal conversations with potential candidates.

I agree. Lansdown and Sextoy are smart enough now to know that all possibilites have to be considered. One possibility is of course, over the next 3 or 4 games, we may still be bottom three.

Lets say, and god forbid.....we only pick up 1 or 0 points over the next two games? I really think that will be it for Millen and they will pull the plug.

All is not rosey at City, and although they havent said it pubically....Lansdown and Colin know this. They will be planning for all possibilites, and I wouldnt bet against agents have been sounded out already

Have it on very good authority that Dave Jones will be joining in mid October.

I am of course as sceptical as anyone else about this right at this point, but all I can say is the same source was right on the money about:

a) David James signing

b) Steve Coppell resigning

before they happened.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Rubbish about Coppell.

He met with Millen the night before he left and exchanged phonecalls with Landsdown. So unless you were involved in either meeting your making it up.

Have it on very good authority that Dave Jones will be joining in mid October.

I am of course as sceptical as anyone else about this right at this point, but all I can say is the same source was right on the money about:

a) David James signing

b) Steve Coppell resigning

before they happened.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Is your source LeylandsRoad, actually whatever happend to LeylandsRoad

Yep - this is true, i know that they have sounded out managers about their interest, the one i know if is Bruce Rioch, who, isnt interested

Do Managers have Agents, or 'Advisors'?

If so, I'm sure that all parties would be aware of what may well be going on behind the scenes........without Dave Jones having to come anywhere near Bristol, or personally speak to anybody connected with the club.

I would be happy with Dave Jones, but would prefer Billy Davies. I've gone through too many drinking cultures at the Gate, and feel Davies would be our best bet at preventing another one.

Archived