IGNORED

Queen Of The South

glastonred

Last Saturday I was up in Scotland, and whilst I was there I attended my first ever Scottish football match, when I went to watch Queen of the South (from Dumfries) play Greenock Morton. It was a good game ending with a creditable 4-1 win by the home team, who had been languishing at the bottom of the table, with Morton top. The attendance was 1,699, and the fans were friendly, and just as passionate for their team as we are for City. I have now adopted Queen of the South as my second team, and intend to go to at least one of their games each season. The reason I mention all this is because I was wondering if any other City fan has done likewise, and always look out for the fortunes of one of the 'minnows' of the Scottish Football League [i.e. not the Premier League clubs]. Just wondering.......

Last Saturday I was up in Scotland, and whilst I was there I attended my first ever Scottish football match, when I went to watch Queen of the South (from Dumfries) play Greenock Morton. It was a good game ending with a creditable 4-1 win by the home team, who had been languishing at the bottom of the table, with Morton top. The attendance was 1,699, and the fans were friendly, and just as passionate for their team as we are for City. I have now adopted Queen of the South as my second team, and intend to go to at least one of their games each season. The reason I mention all this is because I was wondering if any other City fan has done likewise, and always look out for the fortunes of one of the 'minnows' of the Scottish Football League [i.e. not the Premier League clubs]. Just wondering.......

like you i picked a close local team mangotsfield :surrender:

A Scottish mate of mine told me that their name comes from the fact that they used to raid across the border and take the best looking girl they could find back to Scotland. Not sure how true that is though! I lived in Scotland for a bit and have a soft spot for Dunbarton and the Dons. Also lliked Rangers when I was there, as that's who my mates supported, but couldn't give a **** about them now with all the religious sh**. Despite the hatred between ourselves and the Scots, they're generally down to earth and really friendly.

Have not seen Queen of the South play, but around 32 years ago i was on a mini bus that ran out of fuel at around 3.00 am in Dumfries. During our 2 hour wait for

a delivery of fuel a freind and I wandered off and stumbled across the ground. We walk around and peered through gates etc having no idea who played in Dumfries.

The only thing that gave it away was a brass plaque on the wall saying Queen of the South Players entrance. In the half light of an early summers morning it looked

a rather plesant ground.

Have watched Montrose about 12-15 years ago, they played Hamilton in div 3 I think it was. Hamilton needed to win to get take the division title, which they did, 3-0 I think.

A helicopter arrived about one half hour after the final whistle with the trophy. The thing I remember was the good nature between the fans, right in each others ear, side by side,

but not a hint of any bother. The pubs were full of both sets of fans after the game having a right good time. Remember thinking why could it not be like that back in good old England.

Staying with a friend in Fife a few years ago, we watched Dundee United v St Johnstone, Raith Rovers v Dundee and Cowendenbeath 4 v East Fife 3. Since then i always look out for the blue Brazil (Cowdenbeath) results. So it,s CITY, Cowdenbeath, Forrest Green and Mallorca. Why do i put myself through each match. It would have been easier if it was Man U and Barca. No its much more interesting following my clubs. Lots and lots of down, but boy do i enjoy the ups. COYR.:clapping:

Hearts used to be my Scottish team in the late Eighties. The reason being that Everton have always been my second team and when they finished second to Liverpool in both the league and F.A. Cup in 1986, the only fans who I knew felt worse were the Hearts fans. They lost the Scottish Cup final and on the last day of the league season only a defeat and a 6-0 Celtic win would deprive them of the Scottish League title.

Guess what happened.

However, when Joe Jordan left for Hearts my affection for them dwindled. Nowadays I would say that Rangers are my Scottish team (due to a female friend in Glasgow).

Is Paul Hartley still player/manager of Alloa? If so, I'll support them as well.

Must have been shock seeing ahome team score 4 in on game!

Apart from the bhoys i also follow forres mechanics highland league

A Scottish mate of mine told me that their name comes from the fact that they used to raid across the border and take the best looking girl they could find back to Scotland. Not sure how true that is though! I lived in Scotland for a bit and have a soft spot for Dunbarton and the Dons. Also lliked Rangers when I was there, as that's who my mates supported, but couldn't give a **** about them now with all the religious sh**. Despite the hatred between ourselves and the Scots, they're generally down to earth and really friendly.

Trust wiki to spoil it.

Dumfries got its nickname Queen of the South from David Dunbar, a local poet, who in 1857 stood for Parliament in the General Election. In one of his addresses, he called Dumfries "Queen of the South" and this became synonymous with the town.[2]

I wouldn't say I support a Scottish team as my second, but I like to see Rangers win as they generally do.

Have always follwed Rangers up there, due to reading a Topical Times football annual when I was about 7 and hating the Celtic kit and the numbers on their shorts, not their shirts. That was enough to make me dislike them, as opposed to any religious bollocks that I got to learn as I got older

But my true love in Scotland are Berwick Rangers, ever since finding out they were English that was it for me. Never been to see them though, would love to get up there one day. Although there are loads of lower league Scottish teams I have a soft spot for, just because they have cool names! There was a group of blokes were I come from that would go and see Stenhousemuir a couple of times a season going back about 20 years ago, always had a cracking time there. Think they were local celebrities for their devotion to the club!

Scottish Football

Dundee both teams as 2 buddies support them.

English Football

I support BCFC :)

I keep an eye out and like to see them doing well, Cheltenham, Yeovil and the Gas (Don't like to see Swindon ever do OK)

I also like to see AFC Wimbledon do well I want them promoted and MK Dons to fail in promotion and then I want them to play each other :D

My Misses supports Arsenal so I watch them from time to time.

I've always had a soft spot for Scottish strugglers East Stirling due to the fact that i worked with a guy who supported Falkirk and i adopted East Stirling as they are their main rivals(though they ground share in Stenhousemuir now)

Though they currently sit bottom of Scottish Division Three, they have given me cause to celebrate as they managed to win at home last month. (Millen take note)

tumbleweed.giftumbleweed.giftumbleweed.gif

Scottish Football

Dundee both teams as 2 buddies support them.

English Football

I support BCFC :)

I keep an eye out and like to see them doing well, Cheltenham, Yeovil and the Gas (Don't like to see Swindon ever do OK)

I also like to see AFC Wimbledon do well I want them promoted and MK Dons to fail in promotion and then I want them to play each other :D

My Misses supports Arsenal so I watch them from time to time.

I'm with you there (most of the country as well, I reckon). Would it not be a great day for football if AFC Wimbledon were in the top flight and MK Dons were out of the league?

Archived