IGNORED

Supporter's Trust Hall Of Fame Xi

The Exiled Robin

Following tonight's Supporter's Trust dinner, the all-time City Hall of Fame has been named and, quite rightly in my view, includes Louis Carey, Scott Murray and Brian Tinnion (full team below).

Seems an appropriate moment for me to repitch this post I did in the early summer, with my view on what makes those three (and two others) the best players to have played for City this century.

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.com/2011/05/players-of-century-inspired-by.html?spref=tw

Bristol City XI:

Gibson;

Sweeney, Carey, Wedlock, Thresher;

Murray, Gow, Kellard, Tinnion;

Atyeo, Taylor.

Dicks (boss)

Dolman (personality)

Following tonight's Supporter's Trust dinner, the all-time City Hall of Fame has been named and, quite rightly in my view, includes Louis Carey, Scott Murray and Brian Tinnion (full team below).

Seems an appropriate moment for me to repitch this post I did in the early summer, with my view on what makes those three (and two others) the best players to have played for City this century.

http://exiledrobin.b...y.html?spref=tw

Bristol City XI:

Gibson;

Sweeney, Carey, Wedlock, Thresher;

Murray, Gow, Kellard, Tinnion;

Atyeo, Taylor.

Dicks (boss)

Dolman (personality)

Disagree completely.

There's no you way you can include Louis Carey instead of Sir Geoffrey Merrick who Captained City to promotion to the top league.no.gif

It's not the only event like this that will happen, merely the first one. So other chances to be inducted will happen in future.

Thankyou to everyone who came along this evening and made it a fantastic evening.

Too shattered to post anymore now.

A very enjoyable night, well presented with some big bcfc legend players present and some very well thought out inductees

like bobby kellard (the man who gerry gow had to follow) and mike thresher, also bob taylor total legend off the pitch, he had time for everyone on the night and talked for ages about football and the crap modern era (money, bags era), now i hope this is an on going event as nothing for tom ritchie tonight? ouch, all time top goal scorer for us behind john atyeo (tom played and scored in all four divisions for city) geoff merrick, to name but a few,,, the appetite has been wetted, we want more...

Now also this current lot of players in the sense of '' hall of fame''or legends!!! will we be talking about them in the same light as scott murray or lewis carey in 5-10 years time?? mmmmmm no comment,, make yourself a legend not just pleasing your bank manager ;)

:me?:

Now also this current lot of players in the sense of '' hall of fame''or legends!!! will we be talking about them in the same light as scott murray or lewis carey in 5-10 years time?? mmmmmm no comment,, make yourself a legend not just pleasing your bank manager ;)

I was thinking exactly the same thing on the way home tonight CH. Talking to the missus about favourite players from years gone by, and then comparing them to the current crop. I cant say there is anyone in the squad (Carey being the exception) who will be talked about in the future in the same breath as Gow, Sweeney, Murray, Atyeo, Wedlock and co.

Excellent night though, and looking forward to future ones.... (Shame about the lack of raffle prizes though considering the cost of the tickets.... whistle.gif)

Thought this was really good tonight and great to see so many ex City players there.

My favourite player was Bob Taylor when growing up so seeing him again really great

and he was so happy to chat everyone.Think he was quite suprised that was

the striker alongside Atyeo in team was bit tearful.

Think both Carey and Murray were both a bit shocked and suprised about in the team.

As Dollymarie says only the first one. Talking to her last night she and many others put a lot of hard work in to bring the evening together. Congratulations to all of them. It was a great evening and I'm looking forward to the next one. Funniest part of it was watching the video of Baz's trip, dive, foul etc when clean through, excellent.

Unfortunately I couldn't make last night, shame would have loved to have gone.

From reading the article can someone confirm whether the vote was for City's most 'popular' or 'Best' first eleven? It seems to suggest 'Popular'. Which would make sense as to some players being included.

As for players from today's team taking notice... I really don't think they would care tbh. You have to put it into perspective. These players being nominated are 'Legends' for little ol' Bristol City. The majority of football fans outside of Bristol would have never heard of half of them... For example, Scott Murray, Louis Carey etc.

A very enjoyable night, well presented with some big bcfc legend players present and some very well thought out inductees

like bobby kellard (the man who gerry gow had to follow) and mike thresher, also bob taylor total legend off the pitch, he had time for everyone on the night and talked for ages about football and the crap modern era (money, bags era), now i hope this is an on going event as nothing for tom ritchie tonight? ouch, all time top goal scorer for us behind john atyeo (tom played and scored in all four divisions for city) geoff merrick, to name but a few,,, the apetite has been wetted, we want more...

:me?:

I spoke to Tom and told him he should have been selected, to which his reply was "I wasn't good enough!" I put him right on that and told him that as usual he was too modest.

Fantastic player, even better bloke.

I was stood next to Gerry Gow who also said Tom should be in it, more top flight goals for City than anyone who is still with us..

Great night, echo the comments about Super Bob and Mr. Gow, The Sween, etc.

I cant say there is anyone in the squad (Carey being the exception) who will be talked about in the future in the same breath as Gow, Sweeney, Murray, Atyeo, Wedlock and co.

Albert?

I think its a shame that he's playing in such a poor team

I guess eveyone has their own favourites, but can't help but think,

Moller instead of Gibson,

Merrick instead of Carey,

Cooper instead of Thresher,

Derrick instead of Murray,

Walsh instead of Tinnion.

I'll go with Wedlock, although Hunter must run him close?

And I'll go with Taylor, although Galley, Cole, and Jacki ?????????????

And then there's Skirton, Drysdale, Tainton, Garland, Cheesley, Whitehead, Gillies, Hutchinson, Neville, Riley, Joe Jordan, S Taylor

Oh for the days.

I guess eveyone has their own favourites, but can't help but think,

Moller instead of Gibson,

Merrick instead of Carey,

Cooper instead of Thresher,

Derrick instead of Murray,

Walsh instead of Tinnion.

I'll go with Wedlock, although Hunter must run him close?

And I'll go with Taylor, although Galley, Cole, and Jacki ?????????????

And then there's Skirton, Drysdale, Tainton, Garland, Cheesley, Whitehead, Gillies, Hutchinson, Neville, Riley, Joe Jordan, S Taylor

Oh for the days.

And surely biff? Lots of players that could be added. All subjective, and all different eras. Fitness, what level they were playing at etc etc. No way you can compare like for like. As you don't know how each player would have played in a different era. I.e. due to formations at the time, would atyeo have scored as many as he did in the current era, likewise would Murray been any good being relentlessly taken out by a thresher type full back.

In my opinion they all deserve to be there for what they did in their era.

And surely biff? Lots of players that could be added. All subjective, and all different eras. Fitness, what level they were playing at etc etc. No way you can compare like for like. As you don't know how each player would have played in a different era. I.e. due to formations at the time, would atyeo have scored as many as he did in the current era, likewise would Murray been any good being relentlessly taken out by a thresher type full back.

In my opinion they all deserve to be there for what they did in their era.

that's a fair point! no mention of Biff at all, was a great player for us at a time when we needed him most

Archived