IGNORED

David James

rockin-robin

I really do think that the goalkeeping position is quite possible the least of our worries presently.

Disagree. I think that had Gerken played on Tuesday, we'd have taken three points, we'd have been three places clear of the relegation zone and our worries would have started to lessen.

Agree with the general consensus on this thread that David James is not proving "value for money" far from it in fact, anytime the opposition shoots from outside the box I never feel comfortable regardless of where the shot is actually going. Can;t remember that feeling with Basso, Gerkin or even Phillips!! Take away the England caps, PL appearances and ridiculous salary and if it was any other keeper he would have been hounded out of AG long ago Gerkin must start on Saturday for the simple fact that he is a better goalkeeper than David James

It makes the decision to let Henderson go even more baffling. In only a handful of appearances he played well and potentially looked like our future number 1 only to be farmed out on loan to help accommodate David James. Personally I think Gerken is a decent keeper but could only of had his confidence dented when dropped for James last season. He needs to come in now and, injuries permitting, make the jersey his own. Is he really going to want to hang around next season if James continues in his place? I doubt it.

Was at fault yesterday for the 2nd. But I'm glad David James is in goal for us, think he's a good keeper and we could do a lot worse. Maybe the novelty hasn't worn off for me and that one of the swaying factors in paying my 30 sheets last night was because I was going to watch a former England keeper in goal for us.

That may be so but the team was crying out for a decent central midfielder to replace Paul Hartley at the time the club signed David James. Did we really need to sign another goalie??!!!!

He has been known as Calamity James for 20 years. A reputation thats been well earned.

Make an offer to the the guy to get him off our books and save our season. He has cost us

numerous ponts this year, he is not a red wine that improves with age. His errors will continue,

age has caught up with him, ffs he is not Dorian Grey. Thanks but bye David is what the board

should be saying to DJ.

Gerken was our first choice at that time, he would not command a regular spot at 95% of the teams in this league. Gerken is not the answer.

He'd be a damn sight better than David james in his current form

And I think you're being a tad harsh, he's a great shot stopper

What does James do? Sod all apart from pick the ball out the net

The sooner he's dropped, the better

Hopefully will kick him up the ass and we will see the keeper we thought we'd signed

Infact get Matt hill back and play him in goal, he always liked handleing the ball ;)

Calamity is pants, always has been aways will be, i cringed when i learnt we were signing him,another mistake by this football club, when will we ever learn, Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, big names are seen as big heads by the other members of our squad.

Its strange how the dressing room has gond down hill since calamity arrived throwing his weight around ,dont you think?

Calamity is pants, always has been aways will be, i cringed when i learnt we were signing him,another mistake by this football club, when will we ever learn, Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, big names are seen as big heads by the other members of our squad.

Its strange how the dressing room has gond down hill since calamity arrived throwing his weight around ,dont you think?

good shout :clapping:

He'd be a damn sight better than David james in his current form

And I think you're being a tad harsh, he's a great shot stopper

What does James do? Sod all apart from pick the ball out the net

The sooner he's dropped, the better

Hopefully will kick him up the ass and we will see the keeper we thought we'd signed

Infact get Matt hill back and play him in goal, he always liked handleing the ball ;)

He may be a good shotstopper, but what keeper isn't? You could say all keepers are good shot stoppers, it's the other aspects of there game which defines them as good keepers, surely?

He may be a good shotstopper, but what keeper isn't? You could say all keepers are good shot stoppers, it's the other aspects of there game which defines them as good keepers, surely?

David James - at present

In my opinion anyway

I don't see in his current form why he's in the team

Gerken came in did well, when James was dropped but then got injured then James was back in

If Gerken is fit he deserves his chance as he has done nothing to warrant being dropped

Whereas James' performances have been very poor, so should be dropped untill he rediscovers his form again

What struck me on watching the highlights is how slow James seems to be at getting up for the second save. Every goalkeeper makes handling errors, but when they do they have to get up and pressure the striker to make him work for the goal. For the second goal James seemed to just stand still and wait rather than throw himself between the striker and the ball for the rebound. Once in the first time he made a save and the ball looped up in the air. He caught the rebound that time but while still kneeling on the floor. Had the striker been a bit quicker in getting up he might have nipped in for the goal. James should have jumped up quickly to catch the ball but seemed to dawdle. For me James seems to have lost the agility and speed required to be a goalkeeper at this level, and although Gerken makes similar handling errors he gets up quickly and often ends up making spectacular double saves. Time to go with Gerken I think.

What struck me on watching the highlights is how slow James seems to be at getting up for the second save. Every goalkeeper makes handling errors, but when they do they have to get up and pressure the striker to make him work for the goal. For the second goal James seemed to just stand still and wait rather than throw himself between the striker and the ball for the rebound. Once in the first time he made a save and the ball looped up in the air. He caught the rebound that time but while still kneeling on the floor. Had the striker been a bit quicker in getting up he might have nipped in for the goal. James should have jumped up quickly to catch the ball but seemed to dawdle. For me James seems to have lost the agility and speed required to be a goalkeeper at this level, and although Gerken makes similar handling errors he gets up quickly and often ends up making spectacular double saves. Time to go with Gerken I think.

I think Jamo is definately getting slower and performances arent great.

Would never advocate playing gerken tho!

Never seen and never will see gerken in an England shirt or the premier league so how anyone can say he's better than James is beyond me.

Gerken will likely not have a career anywhere near as successful as James and will likely never be half as good as James was at his peak but that doesn't mean that James is the better keeper at this moment in time. He is way past his best and arguably past the level required to perform in the championship. On the other hand it was only 18 months ago he was England's number 1 so perhaps he can still re find his form.

Never seen and never will see gerken in an England shirt or the premier league so how anyone can say he's better than James is beyond me.

Nonsense argument. James isn't at his peak. If you are arguing everything with that logic we might as well have De Stefano up front now as he was better than Pitman in his prime.

As i goalkeeper myself i know how easy it is to make a mistake and i never slag of keepers. However for a professional Keeper to be making mistakes and ave handling like Jamo does, well its just simply not this standard and i now think Deano should earn his place back as the i could of dealt with the 2 first goals better than Jamo!

On the bright side taking the keeper mistakes out of the equation we played really good entertaining attacking football which people have been crying out for!!! ROLL ON BLACKPOOL. COYR

I think Jamo is definately getting slower and performances arent great.

Would never advocate playing gerken tho!

Agreed. Saw him for Colchester when we won there in 07/08, his performance for the U's was poor earning him the 'Gerken's in a Pickle' chant. Haven't been impressed with him since and blame him for all goals at Plymouth and Newcastle's first, for example, in Millen's first game in charge.

DJ may have messed up for Readings 2nd but he made a great save to keep them out immediately after we'd gone in front.

Well that's a reasonable percentage is it? One good save cancels one utter clanger and another goal (their first) where he could and should've done better.:facepalm: He also dropped a simple catch in the first half, but Reading couldn't capitalise on that.

I love the way Gerken's performance is judged by some game he played in 2007 as opposed to when he was recently in goal for us, when he looked superb.

I don't doubt that in 2007 David James was better keeper than Deano, but he isn't now. Time's caught up with him and on current form no sensible manager should be picking him.

Agreed. Saw him for Colchester when we won there in 07/08, his performance for the U's was poor earning him the 'Gerken's in a Pickle' chant. Haven't been impressed with him since and blame him for all goals at Plymouth and Newcastle's first, for example, in Millen's first game in charge.

DJ may have messed up for Readings 2nd but he made a great save to keep them out immediately after we'd gone in front.

Now that the dust may be settled on Tuesday Evening's defeat and the mood is less angry we should put the James and Gerken issue in perspective. James - at 41 - has almost had his day at this level of football and Gerken is the sprightly young goalie to take us forward.

Now that the dust may be settled on Tuesday Evening's defeat and the mood is less angry we should put the James and Gerken issue in perspective. James - at 41 - has almost had his day at this level of football and Gerken is the sprightly young goalie to take us forward.

If gerken is the goalkeeper to take us forward we got problems.

Archived