IGNORED

Experience And "hasn't Done It At This Level"

the1stknowle

So just reading a few posts today, in nearly every thread a demand for "experience" is made.

Whilst I totally agree it can be something to weigh into the mix, for me it is not the be all and end all.

Peter Reid has experience and I'll be gutted if that is the type of appointment we make. Same Steve McClaren, Wilkins and Roy Keane whose recent records are dodgy. Paulo Sousa has done nothing for me to show either way that he is a good or bad manager. People reference swansea but all he did was take over Roberto Martinez's very good and fast improving team. QPR, Leceister??? Maybe he will be good. He certainly hasnt proven it. And his style of football was not the same as the way he played football.

I'd much rather the board spent a week talking to people in the game and analysing records AND crucially for me, looking at a manager that will fit our circumstances.

We can dream about SL suddenly throwing us 20million and appointing Di Matteo, Martin O'Neil or Curbs. Because realistically they won't come unless they are given a big wage and spending power - it would damage their reputation to under-perform with us so they would want guarantees. And could we really attract Di Matteo away from Chelsea???? It seems very unlikely.

As the stated aim is to move towards self-sufficiency, we can't be paying a manager 40k a week.

So Billy Davies and Dave Jones. Davies is a clear favourite for me purely on talent. Talk to florist, derby or preston fans. They love him. But wherever he has gone, he has sought conflict with the board and complained about funds. Why would that trait not continue here where there are already these problems?

We eulogise experience. That's what Norwich needed after their 7-1 hammering at Colchester. That's what Brighton needed after sinking into the League 1 relegation zone. Instead, their boards took counsel, looked at records and appointed bright young things in the game. This is my favoured option for us. Looking at them.

Lee Clark - almost certainly very good but he's only managed one club and they are one of the better resourced clubs in the division and he (bad luck I know) has yet to get them promoted. He buys and loans well and he talks well after games.

Karl Robinson, the same, although I think he needs more time to learn at one club. Think a lot of our fans wont have heard of him and thus would especially get on his back after first few defeats. We may not like that, but we all know what City fans are like.

Derek McInnes - Again, clearly very talented, can work on limited budget and has won a trophy. Has turned down other clubs. And Scottish - therefore for some strange reason, much more likely to be successful than any English manager!

Sean O Driscoll - hardly young but yet to have a job at a club he could take anywhere. I think he is clearly talented and Id have him here just so we could finally watch some football. Really fancy that he could use some of our ignored players like Ribs, Reid, Stewart and Cisse really well.

Mark Robins - young, talented, knows club a little, and I'd be happy with him. Decent record, again crucially at 2 different clubs. I accept he didnt pull up any trees at Barnsley but did what he had to do there.

Paul Tisdale - 6 promotions, no relegations in 10 years of management across 2 different clubs. Both small, yes. But done without spending, very highly rated in game. Has turned down other clubs. Compo would be relatively small. Would he come here? maybe not. But I hope we ask.

So if you put aside the "hasn't done it at this level" (which recent history shows not to be that important AND no one has done it at this level until they are given a chance at this level!) then experience pales in importance compared to talent. It's always going to be somewhat of a guess and sometimes faces dont fit. Any manager could fail. But for me, I'd like our board to prioritise talent, potential and style of football over experience or profile of playing career.

Tisdale for me by a mile, but I'll be happy with any of the names in my "young" managers list or DJ, BD and of course MoN or Curbs.

All of this is opinion and banter amongst fans and clearly we all have large differences of opinion. I'm amazed when people suggest Reid or Wilkins but I respect that is their view. And Im totally aware my little rant above will have convinced few that Tisdale or Clark are the men for City.

Ultimately it's down to the board and all I want is a considered look at records and recent performance (last few seasons before the anti-SoD band kick off) and to just make an appointment we can all get behind to take us into the new stadium.

Fingers crossed.

So just reading a few posts today, in nearly every thread a demand for "experience" is made.

Whilst I totally agree it can be something to weigh into the mix, for me it is not the be all and end all.

Peter Reid has experience and I'll be gutted if that is the type of appointment we make. Same Steve McClaren, Wilkins and Roy Keane whose recent records are dodgy. Paulo Sousa has done nothing for me to show either way that he is a good or bad manager. People reference swansea but all he did was take over Roberto Martinez's very good and fast improving team. QPR, Leceister??? Maybe he will be good. He certainly hasnt proven it. And his style of football was not the same as the way he played football.

I'd much rather the board spent a week talking to people in the game and analysing records AND crucially for me, looking at a manager that will fit our circumstances.

We can dream about SL suddenly throwing us 20million and appointing Di Matteo, Martin O'Neil or Curbs. Because realistically they won't come unless they are given a big wage and spending power - it would damage their reputation to under-perform with us so they would want guarantees. And could we really attract Di Matteo away from Chelsea???? It seems very unlikely.

As the stated aim is to move towards self-sufficiency, we can't be paying a manager 40k a week.

So Billy Davies and Dave Jones. Davies is a clear favourite for me purely on talent. Talk to florist, derby or preston fans. They love him. But wherever he has gone, he has sought conflict with the board and complained about funds. Why would that trait not continue here where there are already these problems?

We eulogise experience. That's what Norwich needed after their 7-1 hammering at Colchester. That's what Brighton needed after sinking into the League 1 relegation zone. Instead, their boards took counsel, looked at records and appointed bright young things in the game. This is my favoured option for us. Looking at them.

Lee Clark - almost certainly very good but he's only managed one club and they are one of the better resourced clubs in the division and he (bad luck I know) has yet to get them promoted. He buys and loans well and he talks well after games.

Karl Robinson, the same, although I think he needs more time to learn at one club. Think a lot of our fans wont have heard of him and thus would especially get on his back after first few defeats. We may not like that, but we all know what City fans are like.

Derek McInnes - Again, clearly very talented, can work on limited budget and has won a trophy. Has turned down other clubs. And Scottish - therefore for some strange reason, much more likely to be successful than any English manager!

Sean O Driscoll - hardly young but yet to have a job at a club he could take anywhere. I think he is clearly talented and Id have him here just so we could finally watch some football. Really fancy that he could use some of our ignored players like Ribs, Reid, Stewart and Cisse really well.

Mark Robins - young, talented, knows club a little, and I'd be happy with him. Decent record, again crucially at 2 different clubs. I accept he didnt pull up any trees at Barnsley but did what he had to do there.

Paul Tisdale - 6 promotions, no relegations in 10 years of management across 2 different clubs. Both small, yes. But done without spending, very highly rated in game. Has turned down other clubs. Compo would be relatively small. Would he come here? maybe not. But I hope we ask.

So if you put aside the "hasn't done it at this level" (which recent history shows not to be that important AND no one has done it at this level until they are given a chance at this level!) then experience pales in importance compared to talent. It's always going to be somewhat of a guess and sometimes faces dont fit. Any manager could fail. But for me, I'd like our board to prioritise talent, potential and style of football over experience or profile of playing career.

Tisdale for me by a mile, but I'll be happy with any of the names in my "young" managers list or DJ, BD and of course MoN or Curbs.

All of this is opinion and banter amongst fans and clearly we all have large differences of opinion. I'm amazed when people suggest Reid or Wilkins but I respect that is their view. And Im totally aware my little rant above will have convinced few that Tisdale or Clark are the men for City.

Ultimately it's down to the board and all I want is a considered look at records and recent performance (last few seasons before the anti-SoD band kick off) and to just make an appointment we can all get behind to take us into the new stadium.

Fingers crossed.

That's an excellent post and very well written. :clapping: Like you I'd like our board to prioritise talent, potential and style of football over experience or profile of playing career. Potential would be a priority for me - the potential to get this club back in the top flight and on a few long overdue decent cup runs.

Difference being Norwich could afford to pay compo to Colchester and Brighton picked up Poyet for nothing I believe. All the managers listed above are currently employed and highly-rated, we would have to pay through the nose to tempt them and their respective clubs to part ways and with the decent level of unemployed managers available I don;t think we will go down this route. Billy Davies or alan Curbishley for me.

Quality post.

Tisdale for me too based on what's out there, in it's no secret it may lead to substantial investment.....

Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed.

Very good post and I tend to agree with the sentiments. I think we need a manager who's on the way up, not already gone as far as they can and not one living on past glory.

Tisdale would be fine with me.

Difference being Norwich could afford to pay compo to Colchester and Brighton picked up Poyet for nothing I believe. All the managers listed above are currently employed and highly-rated, we would have to pay through the nose to tempt them and their respective clubs to part ways and with the decent level of unemployed managers available I don;t think we will go down this route. Billy Davies or alan Curbishley for me.

Difference between Norwich and Brighton? Or difference between them and us? Comp to Colchester was half a million quid and that was only because Norwich tried to break the rules rather than settling up front.

Lee Clark Im pretty sure would cost a fortune and so is out. Possibly Robinson too. Exeter or St Johnston would probably only be able to get 100-200k if the manager wanted to come. Well within reach.

SoD, Robins, DJ, BD, MoN and Curbs not currently employed. They might be on "gardening leave" but all this means is the are getting money until someone employs them. And I presume they eventually want to be employed rather than see out their contracts on gardening leave. Compensation isnt due when someone is on "gardening leave".

Point I'd make is that with the bigger name managers - the fact we didnt pay any compensation will be outweighed in about 3 or 4 months of their higher wages. Its a package. And the total package for employing MoN for a few months vs Tisdale or McInnes for a few months plus their compensation will be about the same. And after that...

BTW - im guessing Mcinnes odds have shortened as a few bets have been placed on him and he is linked with pretty much every championship job available, hence the betting.

Very good post and I tend to agree with the sentiments. I think we need a manager who's on the way up, not already gone as far as they can and not one living on past glory.

Tisdale would be fine with me.

Tisdale has played for this football club and been a successful manager at the lower levels in the West Country. At 38, would he have the necessary command of some of the errant players that we seem to have at this football club? I get the idea that a few of our players intentionally cocked things up for MIllen.

Fingers crossed.

Absolutely top post. Probably the most sensible and mature view I have seen expressed on here in a long, long time.

Definitely a lot of different opinions on the forum, a lot Id be happy with, some I just can't understand.

Just want the city board to take a proper, considered approach. Look at leagues we havent even thought of. Not dismiss people with an incredible record of overachieement because they havent heard of them or because the last 6 games havent gone so well for them. Consider our circumstances and compare that with the candidates history and personality.

And then make an appointment. That process need only take a week or so, so new manager will still have a week to look at the squad, including the outcasts, and decide who they rate and how they can build the team.

It's exciting times I think which we havent had for a while. Even if its only 6 months grace period, a new manager we can all unite behind will be a refreshing change so whoever gets the job, would be nice to think supporters will give them a fair crack of the whip.

Top post.

I myself and 4 others want Tisdale too.

He's the man the likes of Swansea, Brighton and Soton all approached before appointing their current managers.

Wasnt the right time for Tis then which he later admitted. I have it on good authority after running his course at Exeter he would come here?!

He's worked wonders down their with no money and always forced to sell his best players. Play's the right way and apparently a very good man manager.

All managers are gamble i just hope we take one with Tisdale. Dont want someone washed up like Jones, Davis etc. A fresh approach is needed.

If he was to come here expect him to bring Steve Perryman (DOF), Rob Edwards (Assistant), Marcus Stewart (coach) and Andy Tilson (coach).

With poyet and lambert they both got promoted to championship and were with clubs on a good budget riding the crest of the wave.

Weve had that time and our bubble burst.

If tisdale and clark get promoted this yr and are given the same budget as norwich had and brighton had, as did we, then id expect them to emulate what all 3 of us have/are doing.

It will be different them coming to us on a low where alot of building is needed. All 4 managers mentioned havnt been in the situation we are in now so whos to say they would do any good here?

I'd be strongly in favour of a "potential" appointment such as Tisdale or O'Driscoll were it not for the fact that we're really not in a position to gamble.

Long-term they'd be the best choice I think but short term we need someone to pick the players up and make sure we stay in the division. Tisdale is unproven at this level and his team is currently in the league one relegation zone, whilst O'Driscoll's team was, until he left, the only one worse than our own in the Championship. They might have talent and potential but they're more of a gamble than, say, Dave Jones or Billy Davies.

I'm not advocating getting someone in just for 10 months as that sort of short-termism never matters but if Jones or Davies can turn City into a top-half side then we can think about getting someone in to take them a step further.

With poyet and lambert they both got promoted to championship and were with clubs on a good budget riding the crest of the wave.

Weve had that time and our bubble burst.

If tisdale and clark get promoted this yr and are given the same budget as norwich had and brighton had, as did we, then id expect them to emulate what all 3 of us have/are doing.

It will be different them coming to us on a low where alot of building is needed. All 4 managers mentioned havnt been in the situation we are in now so whos to say they would do any good here?

No one is to say they'd be any good. But I think you're trying to be too analogous.

The situations dont have to be exactly the same for everything to work exactly the same. What I think the boards at Norwich and Brighton did is look for talent. For a while, people had been talking about Poyet and how success at leeds and swindon for Dennis Wise was really down to him. And as soon as he went, Leeds went to the dogs.

Lambert similarly built up a strong reputation at wycombe and colchester (despite a career failure when younger at livingston). The common factor is they looked for talent. And it paid off.

Im sure equally you could find examples of it not working if you really want to. But equally you could find examples of clubs stagnating because their boards appointed a name or just grabbed someone off the merrygoround.

We're only 10 games into a season. And I think some of our recent performances for large chunks of games show the situation isnt so terrible. We have the players to be mid-table at least. I just want us to get in a manager to take us forward and with our financial circumstances, I think that means a lower league manager proven to work on a budget and overachieve. Tisdale for me couldnt have done much more.

Top post and totally agree. I posted something similar last night before all of the hoo-ha!

"I too am of the persuasion that we should try something new and different. I don't buy into all this opinion stating that we have to get someone in who has experience managing in the Championship. Yes,the likes of Billy Davies and Dave Jones have had a modicum of success at this level, but that doesn't guarantee them being a shoe-in for the job nor that they will be a success for us. There are plenty of examples of managers with no experience at this level being successful, it is not a pre-requisite that to be successful in this league you need to have managed in it before. I want us to be courageous and do something different.

Moyes was new to the job when he made his name at Preston. Mowbray hadn't managed in England before he had success with West Brom in this league. Owen Coyle had no management experience at this level before he took Burnley up. Others such as Eddie Howe, Nigel Clough, Dougie Freedman, Gus Poyet all had no experience at this level before being appointed by their respective clubs and they all seem to be doing fine. Lee Clark and Di Canio have been mentioned by some people as success stories, but again, they've no Championship experience at management level.

So I simply don't believe in the argument that we need someone who has experience at this level. I think this is clouding a lot of people's judgement and they only see Davies and Jones as the potential answer because of this reason alone.

Now, unless Lansdown/Sexstone (whoever is in charge of this decision!) have an amazing candidate in mind who is currently employed, whom they wish to approach, then they should absolutely never appoint someone like Jones or Davies without going through a proper application process. I do not want us to offer the job to either of these without first opening up to applications. See what comes in, there may be some surprising names out there who we didn't think would be interested (perhaps your likes of Hoddle, O'Neill, Curbishley etc might actually chuck their name into the hat). You never know, they may all think they've been out of work for long enough and might be up for the challenge. We should at least open up to applications just in case something like this crops up. I do not want us to employ Jones or Davies just on the basis that they've worked in this league before and they are available. That to me is not a proper selection process, but again would be a knee-jerk reaction. I want the next appointment to be carefully considered. It should be someone who will take hold and rebuild this club from top to bottom. Yes the immediate priority is to ensure our safety, but I think pretty much any of the names mentioned here in the last few weeks will be capable of that - reason being that I firmly believe most of the squad are good enough, but they're not being managed or motivated correctly.

Whoever the appointment is, I believe they'll have every chance of keeping us in this league. So we need someone who will have enough nous about them to keep us up and then to begin the revolution of the club at the end of the season (with so many contracts up for renewal it will be a huge summer in 2012).

Someone like Jim McIntyre up at Dunfermline. He's very well respected up there, taking them back into the premier league and doing it with courage in his decisions, he's learnt from his mistakes, he's prepared to mix things about, he can make tactical changes during a match dependent on the circumstances.

Alternatively, someone like Andreas Alm at AIK Stockholm. Rapidly building a name for himself and someone who a Swedish friend of mine firmly believes will manage in the Premier League.

These should be the sort of candidates we're looking at, people who are making a success of themselves at present and who are widely respected and tipped for future success. I really hope our net is being cast a whole lot wider than Jones & Davies. Please. Hopefully there are people in charge of our club who have a wider understanding of world football than just looking at the latest unemployed Championship managers. There is a whole world of widely respected and up and coming coaches/managers out there, I hope we have someone on our board looking into these alternatives."

I'd add Tisdale and McInnes to my wanted list - I really don't feel the Davies / Jones route will be the right one for the future of our club.

I agree with you and have had my eye on clark for over year. I just think the situation we are in now is alien to what he and tisdale has experienced thus far and may be a gamble at this time the board arnt prepared to take.

I too believe we need to apoint an up and coming manager but one with contacts. Thats why i choose clark ove tisdale. Tisdale seems too insular although i may be wrong.

Ive just got a nagging feeling the board will go for the safe option in their eyes and not really take any chances. Altohough saying that the boardcmembers seem pretty young so may go for the more cosmopolitan choice.

Stressful couple of weeks ahead.

Top post.

I myself and 4 others want Tisdale too.

He's the man the likes of Swansea, Brighton and Soton all approached before appointing their current managers.

Wasnt the right time for Tis then which he later admitted. I have it on good authority after running his course at Exeter he would come here?!

He's worked wonders down their with no money and always forced to sell his best players. Play's the right way and apparently a very good man manager.

All managers are gamble i just hope we take one with Tisdale. Dont want someone washed up like Jones, Davis etc. A fresh approach is needed.

If he was to come here expect him to bring Steve Perryman (DOF), Rob Edwards (Assistant), Marcus Stewart (coach) and Andy Tilson (coach).

If Tisdale was to come here with Steve Perryman (DOF), Rob Edwards (Assistant), Marcus Stewart (coach) and Andy Tilson (coach) we'll play some attractive attacking football - no doubt about that. Steve Perryman is a very big name in English football - no doubt about that.

Maybe someone can this for me, does Tisdale play the long ball game?

I think that's been our downfall over the last few seasons, we struggle to hold the ball, wear ourselves out by chasing the opposition and eventually concede late goals.

It appears as though teams in this division are gradually moving towards possession football and we're struggling to compete with it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a side that once had a lead, could hold the ball and see out a game without the Alamo towards our goal !!?

I think that's been our downfall over the last few seasons, we struggle to hold the ball, wear ourselves out by chasing the opposition and eventually concede late goals.

It appears as though teams in this division are gradually moving towards possession football and we're struggling to compete with it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a side that once had a lead, could hold the ball and see out a game without the Alamo towards our goal !!?

I haven't seen Tisdale's Exeter City play but with Steve Perryman as their director of football I'd be astounded if they play a long ball game. The Spurs sides that Steve Perryman played in against us were top notch footballing sides and a delight to watch - even though the last time I last saw them play us was when we lost 1-3 to them at Ashton Gate circa 1979.

They certainly dont play long ball but as you'll remember from our many years in that league, no teams there can be accused of playing nice football.

If quality of football is the main criterion then SoD has to be the man. We've all seen his Doncaster sides over the last 4 years and they can hold the ball. He'd also bring players in based on technical ability int he same way Poyet and Rodgers do.

Tisdale certainly talks a lot about playing football, but all managers do. So its a case of getting one in and hoping. Bringing Bobby Reid and Ribs (injury allowing) into the side will help. Maybe even Clarkson as a midfielder. You can't pass if you dont have the players.

I agree though that under Keith it's the worst standard and least ambitious style of football Ive seen since Pulis. I remember the QPR game last year when we took the lead earlyish and then changed things to park a bus. That was pretty sad to see. So also agreed, it would be nice to see some attacking football at the Gate.

McInnes' St Johnston certainly have a reputation for trying to play as much as is possible in the SPL.

Not sure any of that helps.

Yup im firmly in the Tisdale in camp aswell. Top manager who would i think jump at the chance to come to a club like this in the Championship.

First post sums up my thoughts on big named managers aswell. Usually the type's that demand big money to spend, something we dont have at the moment.

I can tell you one thing for fact, BCFC held discussions with Tisdale at the time Coppell was appointed. So he is highly regarded within our club. He also lives locally, so another plus point.

However, Tisdale did not have a happy time as a player at BCFC. It looked like he would have a very successful playing career, yet upon joining BCFC certain promises were broken and his career fell away. He therefore has little love for our club.

All of the aforementioned would need to be placed well and truly in the past were he to take on this role.

I for one think he would be a good choice. He is very level headed and actually for a relatively young manager, commands respect.

Both Watford and Reading have tried to secure his services in recent years.

He hadn't got the experience at this level, but he clearly knows how to manage. It might just be his time to step up a grade.

Tisdale has played for this football club and been a successful manager at the lower levels in the West Country. At 38, would he have the necessary command of some of the errant players that we seem to have at this football club? I get the idea that a few of our players intentionally cocked things up for MIllen.

I don't think age matters really. You're either a leader or you're not. The idea of a disciplinarian is rather dated IMO.

Tisdale's record suggests he's a leader, you can't really pick much more up without talking to him.

Paul Tisdale, Seemingly great managerial skills on paper with all those promotions and so on, plays nice attractive football, however has the strongest links with city already than any other manager mentioned. Ex- Player, but not only that, has signed plenty of players from our club direct or who have played for the club in recent times including Keohane, Edwards, Noble, Stewart, Russell, Danny Coles, Scott Goldbourne and Ryan Harley. This is the thing that sets the alarm bells ringing for me to be honest. He is too close to the club, its too cosy and instead of managing the 'tribute' team he would be doing the real thing. and for some reason it doesnt sit well Sorry

Personally, I wouldn't appoint Paul Tisdale unless Steve Perryman - as a director of football - would come here as well.

I'd be pleased if we appointed Tisdale. I'm not adverse to any manager from any level if they have demonstrated tactical nous, and preferably developed a reputation for a decent style of football. Tisdale, Clark and Robinson all fit the bill from League 1. Equally, I think Dave Jones would be a solid appointment- and I'm intrigued by McInnes - I'd certainly be excited if he joined, based on his record at St Johnstone.

Tisdale play's football the way it should be - attacking & attractive.

Ryan Harley was the shinning star for him a couple of years ago which got his move to Swansea/Brighton.

He wouldnt of been the star in a team that play's long ball or anything ugly/negative.

TISDALE IN!

I would prefer Billy Davies, he would make us a hated side, and we could be nasty,just like the man himself, Anyway i would settle for Tisdale.., ok Blood.

Righty, great post but snipped it as just want to answer these points.

Lee Clark has been at Huddersfield for a while and is being bank rolled to get promotion. In his third season with them now and has blown 2 playoffs. A Danny Wilson in the wings I fear, and after being on a 3 1/2 year contract is now on a rolling 12 monther. Given if he doesnt get promoted this time it may be end of the line for a Huddersfield who have thrown everything but the kitchen sink to get up under the current boss. Sure he has a fantastic record and I dont think they have lost in the league yet this season either, but it is beginning to get to a time where he has to step up to the plate with the resources he has had and not be the nearly man.

Karl Robinson is afaik the youngest manager in the football league at 31. He has had 18 months or so in position at MK Dons and has got lots of accolades for being the youngest this and the youngest that. For sure he has done some fine work, Finishing 5th in his first season in charge, but also having a very leaky defence. Scored 68 or similar and conceded 60. Given our current issues with defence that have now stretched at least 3 different managers would he be the man to fix them? This season the defence has seemingly much improved only conceding around 10 which is why the MK Dons are now 2nd iirc. However in saying all of that he has yet to achieve if that makes sense. Villas Boas who is older than Robinson, but not by much. Boas turned around Academica before Porto, blitzed Porto and won everything he could and is now 'home' at Chelsea, after being a scout under Mourinho. Robinson though is doing things of a much lower impact, I also have a feeling that John Gorman is his assistant, would we want him back for a 2nd time if Robinson was to come?

Derek McInnes, came up when Coppell or GJ went iirc, I asked some Scots fans what they thought at the time, and they laughed at us in no certain terms. This still holds true today and the terms 'Bunch of thugs' has come up time and again. Currently has Jody Morris as club Captain and it goes from there. Challenge Cup with was afaik 4 seasons ago and had a minus 20 goal difference last season, scoring 23 and conceding 43 again doesnt inspire confidence as the way forward, despite a better showing this time.

Sean O Driscoll, basically, Ive said this else where on here, his Win Percentages at Bournemouth and Doncaster were around 36%, now whatever plaudits he has for playing neat or attractive football, it doesnt translate into consistent results. Blackpool proved it could be done with a zero budget or at least a very limited one, whilst Donny floundered about because of injury excuses last year, but as for the rest of it the stats speak for themselves. Also the last team to appoint a manager from a team below them or who had left a team below them in this league whilst in or near the relegation places was PNE with Darren Ferguson and we all know how well that worked out. 1 win in 19 in the current league suggests the man needs a break and then to comeback with someone else rather than straight into yet another relegation fight.

Mark Robins. Decent at Rotherham, appalling at Barnsley has an equivical record at this level to the manager we have just sacked in terms of results with 31.58% vs 31.52% Again was burnt out with politics at Barnsley and may not fancy going straight back into a relegation/bottom of the table scrap. Furthermore does nothing to dispell the jobs for the oldboys ethos. Finally, needs to buy in to get success has brought a plethora of players at both clubs he has been at and cant work with what he has to start.

Paul Tisdale, Seemingly great managerial skills on paper with all those promotions and so on, plays nice attractive football, however has the strongest links with city already than any other manager mentioned. Ex- Player, but not only that, has signed plenty of players from our club direct or who have played for the club in recent times including Keohane, Edwards, Noble, Stewart, Russell, Danny Coles, Scott Goldbourne and Ryan Harley. This is the thing that sets the alarm bells ringing for me to be honest. He is too close to the club, its too cosy and instead of managing the 'tribute' team he would be doing the real thing. and for some reason it doesnt sit well Sorry

Lee clark - has always had them there or thereabouts and Huddersfield fans love him, they play attacking footie and score goals. Agreed on the nearly man thing, but they are about to break the league record for undefeated run, no? And he's got a near 50% win record which is incredible. So early in his career who knows. But signs are good and all candidates will have doubts around them.

Karl Robinson - agreed. Too much emphasis placed on his age. He cant have done much more in his career, but its been a short career and would be best served with a few more years in one job.

Derek McInnes - Come on. You can do better than a couple of scottish people laughing at you and him having jody morris as captain. Im not sure Fabregas was that interested in the St Johnston's captain's job when the decision was made.

SoD - Its dangerous overfocusing on win %. You're win percentage plummets as a result of over-achievement. You take your team up on limited financial resources and keep them in the division above consistently, this statistic normally gets punished as the team will struggle to stay in the division. But if you keep them up again and again, the statistic gets punished further. Much better with SoD to look at the conditions at Donnie and Bournemouth and crucially, what we have all seen with our own eyes, their style of play. That would be nice to see down the gate.

Mark Robins - I have my doubts and out of this list he would be my least favoured. But what should he be doing at Barnsley? Again, overfocusing on win percentage only without taking into account other facts can be misleading. Has a very good reputation and good connections.

Paul Tisdale - What? Seriously? Because he's signed so many city players. I was with all your points until then. Come on, this is a bad, bad point. Its geographical coincidence that gives him the opportunity to sign players that otherwise might not come to Exeter. What has that got to do with some cozy relationship with exeter???

So Im with you on some of your reservations. But all the candidates have question marks and even if one didn't who knows how theyd integrate into the club. So there are problems with every candidate, but of the above I think you've least elucidated your problems with McInnes and Tisdale. Your other points I agree with in parts and I disagree with the way your looking at O'Driscoll's career.

The more Im reading about Tisdale today, the more Im becoming convinced he is the perfect fit for our club AND his career at this moment in time.

Archived