IGNORED

Why The Dave Jones Love-In?

Dolman_Stand

As someone who has been criticised and mocked on here for failure to take Cardiff up despite extortionate signings / wages / loans being thrown around across the bridge, why is Dave Jones now held in such high regard???

Only Billy Davies or Alan Curbishley will save this club from relegation

Crystal ball?

I'm not massively excited by the prospect of Dave Jones, I just happen to think that it will be him.

And out of all the realistic candidates, I think he is one of the better ones.

As someone who has been criticised and mocked on here for failure to take Cardiff up despite extortionate signings / wages / loans being thrown around across the bridge, why is Dave Jones now held in such high regard???

Only Billy Davies or Alan Curbishley will save this club from relegation

He would be a solid appointment at this level. He has attracted some good players at Cardiff and is very well respected in the game. I'd be amazed if we weren't looking at him or Davis. Cardiff managed to raise their profile somewhat under Jones, he's a name that has to be on any shortlist for any championship club.

Crystal ball? Nothing more than personal opinion

I'm not massively excited by the prospect of Dave Jones, I just happen to think that it will be him.

And out of all the realistic candidates, I think he is one of the better ones.

Not sure Jones would have the instant impact that we need, whereas Davies would come in here and similarly to Johnson ruffle enough feathers to eventually get a reaction!

Not sure Jones would have the instant impact that we need, whereas Davies would come in here and similarly to Johnson ruffle enough feathers to eventually get a reaction!

Davies would be among my top choices for the reason you state. I won't have to work with him though.

I can't see SL endorsing that one.

Actually, I'd like Pearce to come here, but that won't happen either.

Dave Jones won promotion once with Wolves 9 years ago. Nowt else despite having a vast wage bill at Cardiff.

What's this good track record people speak of?

Exactly.

And didn't he spend a lot at Wolves to get them promoted?

He did a bad job not to Cardiff promoted.

Can't see him doing well with limited resources.

My post from another thread:

I wouldn't call it an obsession. But the majority of us want someone already proven with plenty of experience at this level, who plays attacking football. One other personal want of mine is someone who comes across well in the media (i.e. can string two words together).

We've always had a country bumpkin reputation and let's face it, neither GJ nor KM came across well when talking to the media which doesn't help.

So for me:

- Proven manager at Championship level

- Known for encouraging attacking football

- Intelligent

That knocks most of the list off and leaves Jones as the prime candidate in my opinion. Let's not forget the fact that it'll probably aggravate Cardiff fans and lead to some fiesty derbies!

Everyone here moaning that Cardiff have bottled playoffs etc. We're currently nowhere near being able to think about REACHING the playoffs, let alone bottling them! A lot of the blame also has to lie with the players.

The bottom line is that under Jones, Cardiff ALWAYS looked a threat. We've been hit and miss for 3 seasons now, with the emphasis on the latter.

My post from another thread:

I wouldn't call it an obsession. But the majority of us want someone already proven with plenty of experience at this level, who plays attacking football. One other personal want of mine is someone who comes across well in the media (i.e. can string two words together).

We've always had a country bumpkin reputation and let's face it, neither GJ nor KM came across well when talking to the media which doesn't help.

So for me:

- Proven manager at Championship level

- Known for encouraging attacking football

- Intelligent

That knocks most of the list off and leaves Jones as the prime candidate in my opinion. Let's not forget the fact that it'll probably aggravate Cardiff fans and lead to some fiesty derbies!

Everyone here moaning that Cardiff have bottled playoffs etc. We're currently nowhere near being able to think about REACHING the playoffs, let alone bottling them! A lot of the blame also has to lie with the players.

The bottom line is that under Jones, Cardiff ALWAYS looked a threat. We've been hit and miss for 3 seasons now, with the emphasis on the latter.

Really??

I think the club need a Dave jones but with a Billy jones fired up mentality! Someone with a bit of both? Hmmm

Can't see how the West Brom left-back will help..............

Dave Jones is an experienced proven manager at championship level, im sure a large number of fans would be delighted to see him come in as new City Manager, He may have failed to take Cardiff up but narrowly missing out on promotion against Blackpool at Wembley and then being beaten last season in the play off semi finals is still a huge achievement considering the amount of competition in this league..

Being Bristol City means we can't pick from the world's elite and for me Dave Jones, Billy Davies and similar others would be decent choices. Regardless of who gets it, I think it's more important to have some decent experience in the Championship behind them. The short term onus has to be on survival. Who ever gets it shouldn't get much more than an 18 month contract. We certainly don't want to stitch ourselves up with 3 years again.

I don't really want to see a young, promising manager yet (ordinarily I would) as I don't think the circumstances are right.

Dave Jones is an experienced proven manager at championship level, im sure a large number of fans would be delighted to see him come in as new City Manager, He may have failed to take Cardiff up but narrowly missing out on promotion against Blackpool at Wembley and then being beaten last season in the play off semi finals is still a huge achievement considering the amount of competition in this league..

Yh i agree with you it is the one and only number one choice and the way I see it is he is number one in my eyes compeletly but I do have to admit when people started to say Dave jones to me i didn't rate him like you say i thought about it and i now like the idea of a half decent manger in charge and he does have the proven track record to prove it...

Yh i agree with you it is the one and only number one choice and the way I see it is he is number one in my eyes compeletly but I do have to admit when people started to say Dave jones to me i didn't rate him like you say i thought about it and i now like the idea of a half decent manger in charge and he does have the proven track record to prove it...

And ................breath! :laughcont:

Massively overrated. Had the best squad in the League last year but managed to f ** k the playoffs up...again! He missed out on the playoffs in 2009 under incredible circumstances after the Deepdale rape and then losing 3-0 in the last game at Ninian. He has had an insane wage budget and some of the best players in the League. Even in the season we reached the Playoff Final he had a squad containing the likes of Ledley, Ramsey, Johnson, Fowler and Hasslebaink!

He also happens to be a complete c ** t. Not for me.

Dave Jones is a good, solid, no frills appointment. You know what you'd get from him, a hard working, well-drilled side. Can't remember the last time someone said City were "hard working and well-drilled."

I have a lot of mates who are Cardiff fans, from my time at uni in Wales. Come the end, the majority wanted him gone because they felt he'd gone stale, not because he was a bad manager. I could see him as a realistic candidate for pretty much any Championship job that came up, and he came very close to the Fulham job a year or so ago,

He's a decent candidate for this post and will steady the ship, isn't that exactly what we need right now? I can see the board going for him, as he knows the division inside out, he's lived nearby and has a track record of staying loyal to clubs for a length of time, not someone who could leave us in the lurch ala Coppell or McClaren.

For what it's worth I think we will draw a shortlist of six: McInnes, Jones, Davies (if he's not at Forest), Pearce (if he applies) Tisdale (if he applies) and O'Driscoll. Then we interview three, McInnes, Jones and Tisdle, before appointing Jones.

Archived