IGNORED

This Would Be An Amazing Appointment........

Andy082005

Not a chance. He's been operating around the top 6 in the Premier League recently, what on earth have we got to offer him? No money and a team who leak an incredible amount of goals. Why would he even consider this, come on let's be realistic about this.

Enough of this nonsense about Forest being a 'bigger' club. They might have been before Cloughie retired, but since then (and especially since the turn of the century) they've not been much better than we have.

We've currently been in the Championship a season longer than they have and we've actually got to the final of the Championship play offs - the big difference between us and them is that we don't think we should be in the Premier League because of something we did thirty years ago.

Enough of this nonsense about Forest being a 'bigger' club. They might have been before Cloughie retired, but since then (and especially since the turn of the century) they've not been much better than we have.

Hmm... Since Clough departed they've won this division three times, achieved a 3rd place Premier League finish and finished above us every season bar three.

Forest are a MUCH bigger club than us, and of course O Neil is a former player. I think he'll end up there tbh. We have pretty much nothing to offer him.

Hmm... Since Clough departed they've won this division three times, achieved a 3rd place Premier League finish and finished above us every season bar three.

Forest are a MUCH bigger club than us, and of course O Neil is a former player. I think he'll end up there tbh. We have pretty much nothing to offer him.

Suspension bridge view from his office? photo.gif

Better weather?

Close to the glorious beaches of Weston superrr marayy where he can top up his tan of a weekend?

more to it than meets the eye one reckons.

Dont say that to many on here my friend. ''we are a shit little club'' is what a certain person who shall remain nameless said a few months back. Many actually agree with him aswell but they wouldn't dare admitt it..

Dont say that to many on here my friend. ''we are a shit little club'' is what a certain person who shall remain nameless said a few months back. Many actually agree with him aswell but they wouldn't dare admitt it..

We ARE a small club in this league, we HAVE the POTENTIAL to be a big club, will we ever be a big club tho?

What I meant was that - for the most part - our expectations as fans are more realistic than theirs. We're not living on past glories because to be frank we've never really had any except for before the First World War and in the mid to late 1970s. Historically speaking, second tier is about as good as it gets, which is why I'm very concerned about the possibility of being relegated.

• Admin

Even if we match his wage demands we can't afford to support the kind of expenditure required on the playing squad to entice a manager of O'Neill's standing to come to us.

We need to be finding the Martin O'Neill's of this world that were at Wycombe before they made it to the bigger teams, so that means a McInness or a Tisdale or a Clarke and hope we get it right.

Even if we match his wage demands we can't afford to support the kind of expenditure required on the playing squad to entice a manager of O'Neill's standing to come to us.

We need to be finding the Martin O'Neill's of this world that were at Wycombe before they made it to the bigger teams, so that means a McInness or a Tisdale or a Clarke and hope we get it right.

That's one hell of a gamble when you're bottom of the league. There are other, cheaper, more proven options.

• Admin

That's one hell of a gamble when you're bottom of the league. There are other, cheaper, more proven options.

Looking at those with championship experience then...

I don't hate the idea of Jones or Davies but they come with a pricetag too if you want them replicating their "success" of recent seasons. Jones was allegedly on £20k/week at Cardiff and enjoyed one of the biggest footballing budgets in the division yet failed in several seasons to take them up. Davies had millions spent on players for him yet failed to take Forest up. We aren't going to match the budgets they enjoyed at their previous clubs so they too, represent a gamble.

At the other end you have O'Driscoll who was in charge of the one side worse than us and Robins who had a decent start at Barnsley before going into himself and having the fans describe his football as boring defensive rubbish.

All the candidates have their pros and cons but especially given the budget the new man is likely to have to work within, I'm edging towards a younger hungrier manager who has shown himself capable of working on a tight budget rather than journeymen managers who have had success before but usually when backed with big budgets.

• Admin

Was only saying on Monday after Millen left that I would love Martin O' Neil what a signing that would be ................ Mr.Sexton what you waiting for?

At a guess, "our income levels to increase after moving into Ashton Vale".

I suspect this is my 'quote' again?

Completely taken out of context yet again... But, if you want to portray my quote in that light to suit your own arguments then go ahead, ultimately just makes you look as daft as a brush.

Looking at those with championship experience then...

I don't hate the idea of Jones or Davies but they come with a pricetag too if you want them replicating their "success" of recent seasons. Jones was allegedly on £20k/week at Cardiff and enjoyed one of the biggest footballing budgets in the division yet failed in several seasons to take them up. Davies had millions spent on players for him yet failed to take Forest up. We aren't going to match the budgets they enjoyed at their previous clubs so they too, represent a gamble.

At the other end you have O'Driscoll who was in charge of the one side worse than us and Robins who had a decent start at Barnsley before going into himself and having the fans describe his football as boring defensive rubbish.

All the candidates have their pros and cons but especially given the budget the new man is likely to have to work within, I'm edging towards a younger hungrier manager who has shown himself capable of working on a tight budget rather than journeymen managers who have had success before but usually when backed with big budgets.

Agree with most of that, but think it's a harsh snippet on O'Driscoll.

I see the face value appeal in Jones and Davies but neither are in my 'top 5'.

No naivety intended but I think we're stuck in a relegation threatened mindset, which is understandable to a certain extent given our poor start and league position. However, iny opinion, we'd do well just to reign that in a bit and realise we're a couple of morale boosting results from pulling clear.

O'Driscoll still the man for me, if not McInnes or Tisdale.

Archived