IGNORED

This Would Be An Amazing Appointment........

Andy082005

Not that sure Forest would take him; he alledgedly agreed to take over at Forest prior to accepting the Celtic job and was due at the City Ground to sign a contract.When he was late they rang his house and his wife told them he was on his way to Glasgow and would no longer be accepting the job. Those things are not always easily forgotten....

Interesting.

Forest are undeniably a bigger club with a richer history, however we are definitely a 'project' which could court someone eager for the challenge.

Dreamland as has been said, it would take an excellent offer with kept assurances to get him, and keep him, here. But after the Coppell fiasco I don't think Lansdown will bite, O'Driscoll at 10's still looks a decent punt.

This is the kind of appointment that would raise our profile and make people take notice. Wages I imagine would be a massive stumbling block along with the fact he has a great record and would he want to risk it on us because I doubt it.

It's a lovely dream, the problem is I doubt the board would ever aim this high.

i wouldnt put it past SL asking him. He had the balls to try and get james.

This would out trump the james deal tenfold on probably what would work out to be similar wages.

He had the right idea getting james in to lift the profile of the club, get bums on seats etc but the flaw to his plan was that james is past his sale by date.

O'neil wouldnt come cheap but he would be realistic and not ask for prem wages whilst in the championship.

£500k sign on fee plus £1 mil a year = £30k a week in yr one £20k year two, which i think would do it with the promise of double your salary and bonus should we reach the promised land. similar to the james deal if you believe what you believe but with 10 times the effect.

an extra 3000 bums on seats will cover this and im sure thats more than acheivable with O'neil at the helm.

Robins, McInnes etc wont bring in the crowds instantly or have the huge uplifting effect O'neil would have.

One problem, would he come here?

No!

It would be the best management appointment in the history of the club,

It is very unlikely but Mr Lansdown has the money to do it (in fact O'Neill's wage would be pocket money to Steve).

If our club are ever going to really progress, then this type of appointment should be considered by Steve (otherwise, he may as well walkaway) - Buy cheap, buy often and I am sorry to say that is what has happened over the years. The money Lansdown has lost over the years (from bailing out the club) have ultimately been down to his appointments and strategy.

Its time to go for it BIG (the coppell move went horribly wrong but this is a million times bigger).

As I said it's a massive LONG shot but Mr O'Neill would bring back alot of revenue through the turnstiles - unlikely but as many of said, nothing wrong with dreaming!

Tomo

Of course, as many have said, this would be fantasy land stuff.

Ultimitely, any potential discussions (and i don't expect for one minute he is even on our radar, although this sky sports article might just make SL consider a phone call) would depend entirely on O'neil being in the slightest bit interested.

IF (massive IF!) O'neil was to make contact with SL, saying "Hi, I would like to be considered" then I suspect that SL would move heaven & earth to get him here and possibly re-ignite is financial interest in getting us to the Prem.

Time to wake up now though - not going to happen!

It is very unlikely but Mr Lansdown has the money to do it (in fact O'Neill's wage would be pocket money to Steve).

If our club are ever going to really progress, then this type of appointment should be considered by Steve (otherwise, he may as well walkaway) - Buy cheap, buy often and I am sorry to say that is what has happened over the years. The money Lansdown has lost over the years (from bailing out the club) have ultimately been down to his appointments and strategy.

Its time to go for it BIG (the coppell move went horribly wrong but this is a million times bigger).

As I said it's a massive LONG shot but Mr O'Neill would bring back alot of revenue through the turnstiles - unlikely but as many of said, nothing wrong with dreaming!

Tomo

Totally agree with this,SL must seize the chance......what a coup for us...football is also about managerial contacts and Mr O'Neill must have a bulging black book....for too long we have been a football outpost with succesive boards building our hopes year on year and delivering nothing, stop the negativity that lingers around Bristol like a dark cloud and get him here................if you build it..they will come

Totally agree with this,SL must seize the chance......what a coup for us...football is also about managerial contacts and Mr O'Neill must have a bulging black book....for too long we have been a football outpost with succesive boards building our hopes year on year and delivering nothing, stop the negativity that lingers around Bristol like a dark cloud and get him here................if you build it..they will come

+1

Tomo

Lansdown also wants to see a return on the £30m he's already put in, i think he will opt for a cheaper option in terms of contracts. Can't see O'Neill coming to us seeing as squad wages are too high still.

Archived