IGNORED

New Manager...more Money Available?

spudski

So...We are in the process of getting a new manager.

I wonder what the Interviews will be like, and what will be promised to the new manager.

Will more money be offered to buy players in the January window, or are we relying on loans again?

Will the new manager be told he has to work with what we've got until contracts are up?

Will it be a clean sheet and all squad members be given a fresh start to impress?

Will the board tell the new manager to get rid of certain players?

Any new manager will want to build his own team. Will the board and SL allow him to do this?

Personally i feel sorry for Km. Yes he has made some errors, but many goals have been conceded by personal errors. I know for a fact he worked hard with the defenders on positioning. He was dumbfounded when these defenders didn't do as they were asked and copy what they worked on in training. You can't do nothing about that if the players aren't good enough at this level.

What if the new manager can't get this squad performing? Are the fans going to turn on him, or start seeing it's not just the manager, but the predominatley poor quality squad we have. We have Maynard, Albert, Kilkenny, Pitman and DJ who would arguably walk into any other Championship team...but what of the others? Pretty poor at this level in my book. Especially down the left, where we have been weak for ages. JCR and Woolford, McCalister and it seems Mcgivern now...all pretty inaffective.

I hope i'm proved wrong...but i blame a lot of our results on a poor squad rather than just a poor manager. If a new manager can make this lot get results then i'll be really suprised.

Hopefully our Board and SL will sell the Club well, but i wouldn't want to work with our squad without some money made available to improve it.

Any thoughts?

I wonder what the Interviews will be like, and what will be promised to the new manager.

Will more money be offered to buy players in the January window, or are we relying on loans again? - BOTH

Will the new manager be told he has to work with what we've got until contracts are up? - NO. but encouraged to lose what he deems unworthy.

Will it be a clean sheet and all squad members be given a fresh start to impress? - Down to the new gaffer to decide.

Will the board tell the new manager to get rid of certain players? - Doubt it.

Any new manager will want to build his own team. Will the board and SL allow him to do this? - step by step obviously; thats logical.

Personally i feel sorry for Km. Yes he has made some errors, but many goals have been conceded by personal errors. I know for a fact he worked hard with the defenders on positioning. He was dumbfounded when these defenders didn't do as they were asked and copy what they worked on in training. You can't do nothing about that if the players aren't good enough at this level. - Disagree in terms of not being good enough; KM unfortunately does not have the charisma to inspire, never had imo.

What if the new manager can't get this squad performing? Are the fans going to turn on him, or start seeing it's not just the manager, but the predominatley poor quality squad we have. We have Maynard, Albert, Kilkenny, Pitman and DJ who would arguably walk into any other Championship team...but what of the others? Pretty poor at this level in my book. Especially down the left, where we have been weak for ages. JCR and Woolford, McCalister and it seems Mcgivern now...all pretty inaffective. - The squad could do with some new faces but IS good enough. I just don't buy this 'the squad is not good enough' mantra.

I hope i'm proved wrong...but i blame a lot of our results on a poor squad rather than just a poor manager. If a new manager can make this lot get results then i'll be really suprised. - I think you will be.

Hopefully our Board and SL will sell the Club well, but i wouldn't want to work with our squad without some money made available to improve it.

Any thoughts?

Sexstone said in his interview that they will consider any transfer requests as usual and they have never turned down a reasonable request.

My guess in part is it will depend on 2 things - 1 where we are in January and 2 how many (if any) of the out of contract players the new manager wants to offer new contracts to.

It will be easier to get new players in in January if the manager has already decided he wants a big clear out in the summer.

In answer to your other question, I don't think the board will tell him to get rid of certain players but we will be made aware of the wage bill.

Will more money be offered to buy players in the January window, or are we relying on loans again?

I expect he will be allowed to bring in 1 or 2 permanent signings and 1 or 2 loans.....no more atm.

Will the new manager be told he has to work with what we've got until contracts are up?

Will it be a clean sheet and all squad members be given a fresh start to impress?

Yes, everyone will have the chance but many will soon be shown up as just not good enough

Any new manager will want to build his own team. Will the board and SL allow him to do this?

Yes but it will take time.

Personally i feel sorry for Km. Yes he has made some errors, but many goals have been conceded by personal errors. I know for a fact he worked hard with the defenders on positioning. He was dumbfounded when these defenders didn't do as they were asked and copy what they worked on in training. You can't do nothing about that if the players aren't good enough at this level.

Perhaps you could explain this to Riaz as he thinks you can train useless players into stars.

What if the new manager can't get this squad performing? Are the fans going to turn on him, or start seeing it's not just the manager, but the predominatley poor quality squad we have. We have Maynard, Albert, Kilkenny, Pitman and DJ who would arguably walk into any other Championship team...but what of the others? Pretty poor at this level in my book. Especially down the left, where we have been weak for ages. JCR and Woolford, McCalister and it seems Mcgivern now...all pretty inaffective.

He won't be able to get this lot performing, they have no passion/determination/desire/professional pride. I fully expect us to be in a relegation scrap all season due to the wasters we have.

I hope i'm proved wrong...but i blame a lot of our results on a poor squad rather than just a poor manager. If a new manager can make this lot get results then i'll be really suprised.

Exactly, perhaps you could explain this to Alex 'Riaz' Ferguson.

The ability of our squad could well put off the bigger managers (Dave Jones/Billy Davies), not that is a bad thing after all.......both failures IMO.

Any thoughts?

SL will only invest BIG TIME when the stadium gets the go ahead, so it will be a limited budget for the new guy, which will not suit both the big time charlies.

BCAGFC

Just to add the first thing I would do if I was the new manager would be to scout round the Prem for a s pare keeper we could loan. The number of goals from goalkeeping errors by James and Gerkin has been ridiculous.

Agreed. DJ seems to have deteriorated this season and DG is.. err... the same as always! The defence needs to have confidence in the keeper if the new manager is to rebuild the confidence in the rest of the team.

Most of our players arent useless - millen's tactics just made them look useless

Don't be silly mate. He tried various tactics, positions etc and most of them failed. The majority of our squad is poor. Players like Pitman getting played on the left happened because Woolford and JCR have been proved ineffective. He then played 5 in midfield to cover the defense, and that starved Maynard of help. Catch 22 i'm afraid.

We have a largely ineffective squad. Yes players were bought in by KM, but also Coppell and Johnsons signings have mainly gone backwards.

The Reading game for example we played well. But it was individual errors that cost us in positioning. Wilson, Nyatanga and James were all at fault. KM went mad with them. They played well for 70 mins, but their lack of quality showed up eventually. As with many of our players...they just can't keep it up continually game after game or even over 90 mins.

Don't be silly mate. He tried various tactics, positions etc and most of them failed. The majority of our squad is poor. Players like Pitman getting played on the left happened because Woolford and JCR have been proved ineffective. He then played 5 in midfield to cover the defense, and that starved Maynard of help. Catch 22 i'm afraid.

We have a largely ineffective squad. Yes players were bought in by KM, but also Coppell and Johnsons signings have mainly gone backwards.

The Reading game for example we played well. But it was individual errors that cost us in positioning. Wilson, Nyatanga and James were all at fault. KM went mad with them. They played well for 70 mins, but their lack of quality showed up eventually. As with many of our players...they just can't keep it up continually game after game or even over 90 mins.

We need a centre back - there's no doubt about that. But as far as this season is concerned, that is all we need.

I think people under-estimate our squad, because under millen we were dis-organised.

Dont get me wrong - the squad is below average - but there is enough here for a decent manager to keep us up.

People keep blaming "individual errors" - but that was millens fault 100%

We need a centre back - there's no doubt about that. But as far as this season is concerned, that is all we need.

I think people under-estimate our squad, because under millen we were dis-organised.

Dont get me wrong - the squad is below average - but there is enough here for a decent manager to keep us up.

People keep blaming "individual errors" - but that was millens fault 100%

KM had to go i agree, but how can you say individual errors were KM's fault. I was at Blackpool and the first two goals were DG fault. the same as it was James fault for the first two against Reading. It doesn't matter how good the manager is, he can't legislate for that.

KM had to go i agree, but how can you say individual errors were KM's fault. I was at Blackpool and the first two goals were DG fault. the same as it was James fault for the first two against Reading. It doesn't matter how good the manager is, he can't legislate for that.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here...

But Dean Gerken shoud'nt even be at the club, let alone playing. I predicted before the blackpool game that gerken will lose him the match.

If we had a decent alternative these mistakes may not of happened.

Plus the mistakes that the defenders are making are the result of have poor defenders, defenders that Millen persisted with, because he'd rather sign wingers and strikers.

But Dean Gerken shoud'nt even be at the club, let alone playing. I predicted before the blackpool game that gerken will lose him the match.

Plus the mistakes that the defenders are making are the result of have poor defenders, defenders that Millen persisted with, because he'd rather sign wingers and strikers.

As iv'e stated before, it's not as easy as that. We can't just cherry pick the players we want. Other (bigger) clubs were after the players we wanted. Apparently we lost out on ten players in the summer, not sure if that was down to Millen not attracting them, the board not paying the wages or a combination of both. I agree about Gerken, but DJ a year ago was playing in a world cup and he still makes schoolboy errors. Maybe it's pressure i don't know but lets just hope whoever takes over gets some luck and some time from us lot to get it right.

You seem to be going around in circles mate...who's fault is it? KM's or the players? KM tried bringing defenders here...apparantly they either didn't want to come or were tempted by other clubs. You can't build a solid defence on loan players, revolving each season. We pay good wages, so why aren't we seen as attractive?

Then you have an 'Unfashionable' team like Donny, recruiting Dean Saunders, who has only managed Wrexham before, and they seem to be associated with all an sundry.

I think it goes a lot deeper than just the managers appointment.

Are our board selling the Club well enough?

Does our backroom staff look an attractive proposition to work with?

The players Millen signed apart from Woolford are all reasonable for the money imho. He tried getting defenders...they just didn't want to come.

I really don't think you can blame KM for all our problems.

Here we go again...another manager, another 3,4,5 year plan...more wait for the Stadium, offload the dead wood, bring in some loans...How many people playing for us actually feel like they are part of the master plan...or are thinking i'll be off again soon? Is there any team spirit here?

Fans asked to be patient and support, with a make do and mend attitude at the club.

I truely feel sorry for our next manager... I wouldn't want the job if you threw it at me.

Having to work with our board, Wiggly, Walsh, Naylor, Owers and Clayton hardly makes the mouth water does it.

Would love to see Zola here and his own backroom staff. New ideas and new training methods.

You seem to be going around in circles mate...who's fault is it? KM's or the players? KM tried bringing defenders here...apparantly they either didn't want to come or were tempted by other clubs. You can't build a solid defence on loan players, revolving each season. We pay good wages, so why aren't we seen as attractive?

Then you have an 'Unfashionable' team like Donny, recruiting Dean Saunders, who has only managed Wrexham before, and they seem to be associated with all an sundry.

I think it goes a lot deeper than just the managers appointment.

Are our board selling the Club well enough?

Does our backroom staff look an attractive proposition to work with?

The players Millen signed apart from Woolford are all reasonable for the money imho. He tried getting defenders...they just didn't want to come.

I really don't think you can blame KM for all our problems.

Here we go again...another manager, another 3,4,5 year plan...more wait for the Stadium, offload the dead wood, bring in some loans...How many people playing for us actually feel like they are part of the master plan...or are thinking i'll be off again soon? Is there any team spirit here?

Fans asked to be patient and support, with a make do and mend attitude at the club.

I truely feel sorry for our next manager... I wouldn't want the job if you threw it at me.

Having to work with our board, Wiggly, Walsh, Naylor, Owers and Clayton hardly makes the mouth water does it.

Would love to see Zola here and his own backroom staff. New ideas and new training methods.

Well, you would blame the board, who have done nothing but back managers.

They backed Millen - alot for a rookie manager - so millen is solely to blame. If he prioritised defenders then he may have had more success.

He may have tried to get defenders but not hard enough. Dont tell me they were not out there because thats bollox. We could have sign McGivern earlier - but we did'nt because mcallister was fit. Thats how clueless he was and that shows he lied about players not being out there.

You make the point about loan players - which is exactly my point. He did'nt bring in any permanent defenders, so in the summer we are back to square one.

Millen made countless errors - which led to us being very poor.

But whoever takes over - will have enough talent to keep us up.

Well, you would blame the board, who have done nothing but back managers.

They backed Millen - alot for a rookie manager - so millen is solely to blame. If he prioritised defenders then he may have had more success.

He may have tried to get defenders but not hard enough. Dont tell me they were not out there because thats bollox. We could have sign McGivern earlier - but we did'nt because mcallister was fit. Thats how clueless he was and that shows he lied about players not being out there.

You make the point about loan players - which is exactly my point. He did'nt bring in any permanent defenders, so in the summer we are back to square one.

Millen made countless errors - which led to us being very poor.

But whoever takes over - will have enough talent to keep us up.

Blimey mate..seriously...have you been drinking? Backing the manager is one thing...hanging on to them for too long or making the wrong appointments is another.

Millen worked his socks off to get defenders in here. No one wanted to come here. Someone from the lower leagues maybe, but no one of any real quality. To say not hard enough is ridiculous...

Your making it sound like it's a game of football manager, not the real world. OK...you didn't rate Km. We all know that, it's becoming boring now, you've said it so many times. I didn't rate KM at this level, but at least be realistic and see it for what it was. With respect.

Blimey mate..seriously...have you been drinking? Backing the manager is one thing...hanging on to them for too long or making the wrong appointments is another.

Millen worked his socks off to get defenders in here. No one wanted to come here. Someone from the lower leagues maybe, but no one of any real quality. To say not hard enough is ridiculous...

Your making it sound like it's a game of football manager, not the real world. OK...you didn't rate Km. We all know that, it's becoming boring now, you've said it so many times. I didn't rate KM at this level, but at least be realistic and see it for what it was. With respect.

Perhaps the fact you say players did not want to come here, and i am not agreeing with that per se, is because they were not overly impressed with Millen.

Perhaps the fact you say players did not want to come here, and i am not agreeing with that per se, is because they were not overly impressed with Millen.

That maybe the case...but it wasn't for the want of trying. I believe the board sit down with both the manager and player and agent. That's how it happens at most clubs. Initially the manager talks to the player though.

I never thought KM should have been appointed in the first place, but i don't blame him for all that has gone in the last few years.

Just about to say the same. Keith, lets be honest here, came across as very flat in every interview. Nice bloke, but very middle of the road. Not dour or enthusiastic about anything, perhaps a potential player would be put off with this. Example, Peter Reid when he talks football sounds really enthused about it, it pours out of his mouth how much he loves the game. Put Millen against someone like Reid, and I would go to play for Reid every day.

Like people have said countless times before, Millen may be a great coach on paper, but he doesn't have the right charisma to get his points across effectively enough.

Any thoughts?

I agree with what you are saying

Archived