IGNORED

James Wilson

Steve Watts

This is exactly why we lost Steve Coppell and our ambition. No manager in charge, so the board intefere and give a player a new contract. The next manager may not even have him in his plans. Crazy !

How do you know the deal hasn't been on the table for months and he's only just signed it? :fastasleep:

This is exactly why we lost Steve Coppell and our ambition. No manager in charge, so the board intefere and give a player a new contract. The next manager may not even have him in his plans. Crazy !

i can see where your coming from but this one makes sense to me. so if maynard wanted to sign his contract would you tell him he's got to wait till we sign a new manager?

You got a good point, but we don't know the circumstances behind the offer... Even if the new manager don't want him, we'll be able to get a transfer fee for him. Otherwise he walks away on a free...

Somebody else will surely want him. :pacifier:

i can see where your coming from but this one makes sense to me. so if maynard wanted to sign his contract would you tell him he's got to wait till we sign a new manager?

Definitely, the manager is the person who has to work with the players each day, and knows the style of how he wants them to line-up and play, and what plans he has for that player. Whats the point in giving a player a new contract, lets say 10k a week, if hes going to be sat on the bench each game. The new manager may aswell sell Maynard in January anyway and free up some transfer funds to build his own team.

Definitely, the manager is the person who has to work with the players each day, and knows the style of how he wants them to line-up and play, and what plans he has for that player. Whats the point in giving a player a new contract, lets say 10k a week, if hes going to be sat on the bench each game. The new manager may aswell sell Maynard in January anyway and free up some transfer funds to build his own team.

but from a business point of view having them on longer conracts especially in maynards case will increase sell on value by double at least. It will also be very hard to sell him in january because he knows he can leave for nothing in a few months. there will be PL clubs in for him in jan if he doesnt sign a contract as they know they can get him for cheaper and may find it hard to get him once he is on a bosman as we tried to do with jones.

but from a business point of view having them on longer conracts especially in maynards case will increase sell on value by double at least. It will also be very hard to sell him in january because he knows he can leave for nothing in a few months. there will be PL clubs in for him in jan if he doesnt sign a contract as they know they can get him for cheaper and may find it hard to get him once he is on a bosman as we tried to do with jones.

I understand your view completely and agree in a way. But I still think it should be done with a new manager in place rather than the board being involved yet again.

how can it be board interferance when we don't have a manager to interfere with?

Thats my point, what if the new manager has his own ideas to bring somebody in when the january transfer window opens. It shows the board are willing to make decisions with or without a managers ideas or suggestions. (unless of course like some have said the contract was already on the table)

Think JW is a good defender but bit disappointed with his distribution. Perhaps being a bit harsh but was hoping for a bit more rather than the hoof downfield, often straight into touch. Hopefully with more games/confidence his 'creative' side will emerge.

My health can't deal with that.

Despite the overall defensive frailties I think that the two of them look like forging a good partnership, they are both very young by centre half standards and Wilson has limited experience because of his injuries, but they could be a pairing of immense talent especially if they were to play at international level as a pair as well.

Is he that good? Ive not been overly impressed and lets remember he's been a big part in a shambolic defence.

He probably won't even feature under the new manager long term.

Eh?

The problems have been around the centre halves. Behind them, to the side and in front. If the same determination and application had been shown by these players as JW and LN have shown we'd be in mid table comfortably.

Can't believe no one has thought that perhaps the new manager has already been selected and that he okay'd this deal. It's a bit strange otherwise.Conspiracy theories aside, it is an odd time to release this story tho don't you think? I don't think it would have hurt to hang on a week to announce it, if nothing else to show that the new boss is thinking to the future. To announce it now has brought up more questions than answers. Either way this is good news.

I don't have an issue with him getting the deal, i think he's well worth it, But i do have an issue doing it with a new manager not yet in who's assessed the squad. That's a terrible thing to do IMO. I just feel we haven't learned much. Maybe we're paranoid about the Rosenior situation happening again though.

We can't end up in a situation where a manager has a tonne of players recently signed he doesn't want to play. One of Millen's issues was him signing those players himself :P

I don't have an issue with him getting the deal, i think he's well worth it, But i do have an issue doing it with a new manager not yet in who's assessed the squad. That's a terrible thing to do IMO. I just feel we haven't learned much. Maybe we're paranoid about the Rosenior situation happening again though.

We can't end up in a situation where a manager has a tonne of players recently signed he doesn't want to play. One of Millen's issues was him signing those players himself :P

I may be contradicting myself but I think you might be jumping to conclusions. We may afterall have a new manager sorted already?

Archived