IGNORED

What Are You Going To Do?

Roadrunner

The big questions are:

What do you win when Bristol City win? Feel good factor, bragging rights

What do you lose when Bristol City win? £25, £30

What do you lose when Bristol City lose? £25, £30

What do you win when Bristol City lose? ..... Character building?

And then from that I think its fair to say the calculation is you always lose something supporting any football club it just depends if you think £25, £30 is worth the bet that your going to gain Character building at the very least?

God im a bit depressed today.laughcont.gif

What I dont get is people saying they are going to spend £30 on the lash and not on the football. OK if they want to get hammered on a Saturday rather than watching City , but they dont need to come on here and tell us about it!! Might as well go on the Rovers forum and tell them you're not going to the Mem on Friday.

I agree with you. I guess that's why we're all different. Some people view it as entertainment, Some people much much more. Maybe the sort of people who have to weigh up whether or not to go on the piss or see City are the same people who leave five minutes before the end! Grrrrr....

Right this post will maybe not make a lot of sense but it's my personal view on how football has changed in my eyes over the last 5 years.

I will start with my Dad, for the first time that I can remember he does not have a season ticket, the reason being that he did not always want to go to night matches (he is getting on and has to be early) and then later on his reason for not going at all so far was because of Millien, I challenged this as it just does not match up. He watched us go up to Division 1 (and the years before) and still went every game as we sunk down the league, he was there when we were bottom of the entire football league and all the up and down years since then. My theory is that he, like many people, has slowly started to fall out of love with the game and feels very little connection to the club as it is today.

Now I will talk about my reasons for no longer being that interested in going to football, I always had a season ticket as a kid, I used to pay for my own too by doing sticking up and I was hooked, I loved the club and I used to be one of those kids that thought loving your club no matter what was something to be proud of. I never had a Premier League team and ignored people who took the piss out of how rubbish City were, cause it was not about how good we were anyway, it was about the joy of going along to Ashton Gate, hearing the crowd and people around me. Feeling a part of something big.

This continued for most of my teen years and then when I got to 17 I started to change, I became more aware of where my money was going, I became more aware about my beliefs in the world (I hate big money making machines and am pretty anti-capitalist now) and slowly I started to see football for what it was turning into. I also found the underground music scene, something that would eventually take my eye right off the football.

You see, I look at football now and it makes me cringe, I actually imagine the people at the top laughing at us fans as we put our money into the club every season, not just season tickets but getting ripped off for food, drinks etc. Knowing that we will pay it because we are some "Committed to our club".

I suppose I first started to notice it with Sky Sports, I remember the first time I saw the advertisement for.... wait for it.... "GRAND SLAM SUNDAY" when they had Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea all playing each other on the same Sunday, now I am sorry but it does not get any more plastic than that and for me it was the start of slide of interest in football for me. I stopped watching games on the TV, but I still loved going along to City and cheering us on.

Then slowly I have seen the way I watch football slowly being changed by more rules and regulations as the clubs strive to bring in young families who they can rip off even more and they do not mind pushing the older fans out of the way. (After all a family of four who spend an hour in the ground before the match, buying food and Programs are a lot more useful than the older fan who rolls in from local pubs at 14:55 and hardly spend anything in the ground.)So to make it more appealing to families we have been told that we can do the things that to me were what going to football was always about. We are told not to swear to much cause the kids are around, well sorry but when I used to come everyone swore, I knew I was allowed to hear that and sometimes even swear myself at football but once I left the ground I knew I would be in serious trouble if I so much as uttered a swear word.

We are not allowed to Stand and sing for to long, people used to stand all the time why is it a problem now? Even at the back of the stadium, health and safety went mad. Bubble Trips to Cardiff and Swansea, destroying my Favorite away days, I remember going to Cardiff as a kid, it was very scary, I nearly cried (Seriously) but when we scored and the noise and the feeling of tension that anything could happen at any minute, that's what got me hooked to the game. Now we have to walk into a plastic ground, go the way the police tell us to go and then we are expected to stand and politely clap, just have a look at recent reports of Stewards at Leeds United, loads of complaints have been made, has anything been done about it yet? They don't care and they are not interested as long as they have your money, hell look at the chap on here who was banned from coming to watch City cause of being Arrested at Milwall, turns out he was acquitted but the club treated him as if he was guilty. Guilty until proven innocent is a new one to me, but probably a sad reflection of the times we live in.

All of those reasons above and that's just a few of them, are the reasons why I have fallen out of love with the game, I just don't buy into the lies that we are told by all our clubs. Tickets are £25, for that amount of money I can go to on a fantastic night out where it is not all about the money and you are made to feel like you are a part of something and will literally have memories that will last me forever. I have made mates along the way that I will probably be in contact with forever. So I understand what Dolly says about her not knowing what to do on a Saturday otherwise, but I think for people of my age there are many more things people could be doing on a Saturday.

Sorry that is a long post, I could trust me have written a lot more but that's just the reasons why I don't really have much interest in the game anymore, I still clearly care loads about City and Football because otherwise I would not write all of this, it does matter to me and I hate the fact that football has turned into what it is today as I see it. I admire everyone that goes along every week, you all deserve a lot more and I hope City do well this season I might even find time to get along and see us at some point. City will forever be my team, but football is no longer my passion.

EDIT: Just a note as well, I would probably have stopped watching had Johnson not have united the fans and club so well, whatever anyone says about the man, for a while he had us all pulling in the right directions.

Right this post will maybe not make a lot of sense but it's my personal view on how football has changed in my eyes over the last 5 years.

I will start with my Dad, for the first time that I can remember he does not have a season ticket, the reason being that he did not always want to go to night matches (he is getting on and has to be early) and then later on his reason for not going at all so far was because of Millien, I challenged this as it just does not match up. He watched us go up to Division 1 (and the years before) and still went every game as we sunk down the league, he was there when we were bottom of the entire football league and all the up and down years since then. My theory is that he, like many people, has slowly started to fall out of love with the game and feels very little connection to the club as it is today.

Now I will talk about my reasons for no longer being that interested in going to football, I always had a season ticket as a kid, I used to pay for my own too by doing sticking up and I was hooked, I loved the club and I used to be one of those kids that thought loving your club no matter what was something to be proud of. I never had a Premier League team and ignored people who took the piss out of how rubbish City were, cause it was not about how good we were anyway, it was about the joy of going along to Ashton Gate, hearing the crowd and people around me. Feeling a part of something big.

This continued for most of my teen years and then when I got to 17 I started to change, I became more aware of where my money was going, I became more aware about my beliefs in the world (I hate big money making machines and am pretty anti-capitalist now) and slowly I started to see football for what it was turning into. I also found the underground music scene, something that would eventually take my eye right off the football.

You see, I look at football now and it makes me cringe, I actually imagine the people at the top laughing at us fans as we put our money into the club every season, not just season tickets but getting ripped off for food, drinks etc. Knowing that we will pay it because we are some "Committed to our club".

I suppose I first started to notice it with Sky Sports, I remember the first time I saw the advertisement for.... wait for it.... "GRAND SLAM SUNDAY" when they had Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea all playing each other on the same Sunday, now I am sorry but it does not get any more plastic than that and for me it was the start of slide of interest in football for me. I stopped watching games on the TV, but I still loved going along to City and cheering us on.

Then slowly I have seen the way I watch football slowly being changed by more rules and regulations as the clubs strive to bring in young families who they can rip off even more and they do not mind pushing the older fans out of the way. (After all a family of four who spend an hour in the ground before the match, buying food and Programs are a lot more useful than the older fan who rolls in from local pubs at 14:55 and hardly spend anything in the ground.)So to make it more appealing to families we have been told that we can do the things that to me were what going to football was always about. We are told not to swear to much cause the kids are around, well sorry but when I used to come everyone swore, I knew I was allowed to hear that and sometimes even swear myself at football but once I left the ground I knew I would be in serious trouble if I so much as uttered a swear word.

We are not allowed to Stand and sing for to long, people used to stand all the time why is it a problem now? Even at the back of the stadium, health and safety went mad. Bubble Trips to Cardiff and Swansea, destroying my Favorite away days, I remember going to Cardiff as a kid, it was very scary, I nearly cried (Seriously) but when we scored and the noise and the feeling of tension that anything could happen at any minute, that's what got me hooked to the game. Now we have to walk into a plastic ground, go the way the police tell us to go and then we are expected to stand and politely clap, just have a look at recent reports of Stewards at Leeds United, loads of complaints have been made, has anything been done about it yet? They don't care and they are not interested as long as they have your money, hell look at the chap on here who was banned from coming to watch City cause of being Arrested at Milwall, turns out he was acquitted but the club treated him as if he was guilty. Guilty until proven innocent is a new one to me, but probably a sad reflection of the times we live in.

All of those reasons above and that's just a few of them, are the reasons why I have fallen out of love with the game, I just don't buy into the lies that we are told by all our clubs. Tickets are £25, for that amount of money I can go to on a fantastic night out where it is not all about the money and you are made to feel like you are a part of something and will literally have memories that will last me forever. I have made mates along the way that I will probably be in contact with forever. So I understand what Dolly says about her not knowing what to do on a Saturday otherwise, but I think for people of my age there are many more things people could be doing on a Saturday.

Sorry that is a long post, I could trust me have written a lot more but that's just the reasons why I don't really have much interest in the game anymore, I still clearly care loads about City and Football because otherwise I would not write all of this, it does matter to me and I hate the fact that football has turned into what it is today as I see it. I admire everyone that goes along every week, you all deserve a lot more and I hope City do well this season I might even find time to get along and see us at some point. City will forever be my team, but football is no longer my passion.

EDIT: Just a note as well, I would probably have stopped watching had Johnson not have united the fans and club so well, whatever anyone says about the man, for a while he had us all pulling in the right directions.

That's quite a tale. I fully expected you to be an older guy than 23 though. Football surely hasn't changed that much in the time you've been going has it??

Sorry but you are deluded, it's not your Bristol City - you don't control anything about the football club you turn up you pay your money (which then gets given to very rich people for some services of enjoyment) and you hope to enjoy winning. It's Steve Lansdowns (and the other shareholders a little) football club stop deluding yourself.

How pedantic. It's his club in the same way it's his neighbourhood, his country, his government, his family or his day.

Interestingly though I felt the same way about football during the eighties - which were my twenties. I can hardly name you players from that decade and I know I never attended a live match during that period. City were still my team though, and I alwys looked for their score first. But I was living away from Bristol, building a career and family - and had little time for football as a spectator sport.

So, is it Sky - or is it a general malaise that some feel between the ages of 20 and 30? It was for me.

About 4 weeks ago I guessed Millen would be gone sometime in the international break meaning a new guy in charge for the Posh game.

So, wanting to welcome a new manager and a new era I booked a flight back and a week ago thought I had timed it to perfection, now it looks like I may be a game or two too early.

But as Dolly says, it's a Saturday afternoon, what else am I going to do? Whatever the outcome it will spark some debate, good or bad, and that's more than you'll get walking around the Mall.

For me there are fans,supporters,followers and those who look out for our results,if you are not exiled or find the cost too high for various reasons,then put up or shut,if you don't want to go because the footballs shite,the support is shite,the whole club is shite don't complain if you havn't paid your money,you pays your money you makes your choice only thihg is you ain't paid your money. :city:

It's not my thing to be honest. I've probably only enjoyed 2 or 3 games in the last 2 years. The thing is , I support Bristol City FC , not a manager or a bunch of players. I've been doing it all my life and I dont think it will ever change while I still have my health.

This pretty much sums up my situation. I'll be travelling down from Birmingham and hopefully we'll get a decent crowd, I wouldn't bet on it though...

Millen out was the general cry, well we got or wish. This Saturday we have our first match without Keith, but by the sounds of it no new manager in place. So those of you who said you would not return until KM was gone. Will you be there? or will you wait until we see who the new man is.

Won't be going. Will be waiting to see who is appointed and the ambition of the board, before I spend another penny on going.

Times are tight finance wise and with train fare and food, plus ticket, it is a £50+ day out, so not willing to commit any more money until I know what is happening.

For me there are fans,supporters,followers and those who look out for our results,if you are not exiled or find the cost too high for various reasons,then put up or shut,if you don't want to go because the footballs shite,the support is shite,the whole club is shite don't complain if you havn't paid your money,you pays your money you makes your choice only thihg is you ain't paid your money. :city:

So people who have families etc and can't afford to go should put up or shut up..... nice one.

Where the hell are you going for you to have a night out for just 25 quid??!! I'd love to be able to have a night out for that!! Christ I couldn't even have a night out for that money 10 years ago let alone these days, unless it was 50p a pint Brannigan Monday or £1 a pint Cast/Bar Excellence Thursday!!

Spot on!

The amount of people on here that don't bother going to games, then moan, argue and state opinion based on hearsay is astounding!

It is one thing to simply not be able to afford to attend and pick the odd game, or as you say, people who live a long way away - but why would someone who simply can't be bothered or claims to have lost interest in football, bother to come onto a Bristol City Football Forum and moan?!

I don't support religion, I can't be bothered with it and I don't go to church - so therefore I let those who do, get on with doing what they do and I don't go forcing my issues with the hypocrisy of religion on them.

I just don't get why those who claim not to care, care so much about coming on here and telling people how much they don't care!?! :doh:

From my perspective, I really want to go to see City play - when the game is good nothing can beat it as an experience. And so I spend more time that I should on the forum patiently waiting for the time when going to see City play justifies the stupid cost. I have passion for City to do well, but I'm not prepared to pay to watch substandard rubbish. My time and finances are very limited.

I don't expect a win - I just expect some kind of technical expertise and the players to give it a bloody good go. When you see skill and determination you can really get behind the team and if it's against an equally skilled/dedicated team and the crowd is behind you, it's a great feeling and it's unique.

I'm willing to pay £30 and spent an afternoon away from the kids to see that. I'm not willing to spend £30 and a quarter of my weekend to watch dull lifeless tactically inept hoofball.

Simples.

So people who have families etc and can't afford to go should put up or shut up..... nice one.

He already said "if you are not exilled or find the cost too high"

I have every sympathy with those who CAN'T go - whereas those who CAN'T BE BOTHERED, yet spout shite on here are the problem that is being reffered to!

Through thick and thin

and Bad and good

A few shares in '82

At the brink we stood.

Under GJ we were on the verge

Of the promised land.

But when things go wrong

The fickle refuse to stand

Since 83 my dad took me,

I am yet to taste real glory

Many forgettable nights and days

But some fantastic Moments in my memory

But when saturday comes

I'll always care

In red and White

Ashton Gate, I'll be there!

Not Lauriette standard, but you get the point. My dad bought shares in my name in 82, and started taking me, to see the club he cared about for his entire life on the brink of disaster. He stood on the terraces with 3000 other souls praying for survival.

Cheer up guys, we have a supportive board, albeit feeling their way in to the world, an ambitious benefactor, a new stadium around the corner and shortly a new manager to stand behind. Yes are league placing is frail, but with passion and belief it can be turned around. We owe it to those 82ers to show some solidarity!

WE'RE BRISTOL CITY, WE ALWAYS BELIEVE!

So you want an entire raft of supporters to sod off because we're not happy to pay to watch rubbish? If you want an elitist club of die-hard supporters then fine. Welcome to the land of approx 9k supporters whose combined income cannot sustain a championship side.

Think of it this way - for the club to survive in any shape or form, it needs a core set of uber-supporters who will be there regardless. These 9k of guys can be counted on for a certain level of income and will probably be there regardless of how much crap you serve up (to a point).

For the club to do well, it needs to attract the marginals, who probably count for up to another 9k.

For a club to do amazingly, it needs to attract the true glory hunters, of which there are up to 32k?

All shapes and size of fan are important and for the club to survive at this level, then their needs have to be considered and met.

I've got a ST and said l wouldn't attend until Millen moved on. Think l said something alongside the lines of 'got my money, not having my freedom'.

Think l will still wait and see if the board are still craving progress (we will soon find out) as the majority of fans or if they will continue to treat us like brainless hoodwinked monkeys I suspect the latter, but there's always hope.

However, Saturdays are a struggle without BCFC!

I've got a ST and said l wouldn't attend until Millen moved on. Think l said something alongside the lines of 'got my money, not having my freedom'.

Think l will still wait and see if the board are still craving progress (we will soon find out) as the majority of fans or if they will continue to treat us like brainless hoodwinked monkeys I suspect the latter, but there's always hope.

However, Saturdays are a struggle without BCFC!

You have a season ticket! Where is the struggle if you can't be bothered to turn up?

Where the hell are you going for you to have a night out for just 25 quid??!! I'd love to be able to have a night out for that!! Christ I couldn't even have a night out for that money 10 years ago let alone these days, unless it was 50p a pint Brannigan Monday or £1 a pint Cast/Bar Excellence Thursday!!

Hospitality at Motion in Bristol on Saturday night, the ticket cost me £18, I drunk tap water all night and used my first week to get there and back grand cost.... :£18. Not to mention all the free parties that happen every weekend, all you need to do is shell out for you're own beer from the supermarket and few bottles of water. Not everyone goes to the same plastic bars where you pay £4 for a pint of watered down Cider. ;)

Of course I don't always do that but it is quite easy done when you are short of money, I travel all over the UK and Europe going to huge events, of course that costs more but I know that I am in for a good time that lasts sometimes days. So it is a no brainier to me.

Millen out was the general cry, well we got or wish. This Saturday we have our first match without Keith, but by the sounds of it no new manager in place. So those of you who said you would not return until KM was gone. Will you be there? or will you wait until we see who the new man is. For sure a lot of us will be disappointed because your choice did not get the job. But at the end of the day and i have been supporting the city since 1955/56, and seen a lot of ups and downs, managers, Chairman and players come and go. But its still my BRISTOL CITY and we are bottom of the league, with a new stadium on the horizion. We must not go down. So who ever it is lets get behind the club and keep our place in the Champoinship.We must keep in sight of the Premership if we are to get that feel good back and fill the new stadium.

I will listen to player and hope for a win. I support Bristol City always. Birmingham home we go over and watch the game. Every game is important, lets get a win on saturday and then one point vs CP. Birmingham we can beat. COYR!!!

So you want an entire raft of supporters to sod off because we're not happy to pay to watch rubbish? If you want an elitist club of die-hard supporters then fine. Welcome to the land of approx 9k supporters whose combined income cannot sustain a championship side.

Think of it this way - for the club to survive in any shape or form, it needs a core set of uber-supporters who will be there regardless. These 9k of guys can be counted on for a certain level of income and will probably be there regardless of how much crap you serve up (to a point).

For the club to do well, it needs to attract the marginals, who probably count for up to another 9k.

For a club to do amazingly, it needs to attract the true glory hunters, of which there are up to 32k?

All shapes and size of fan are important and for the club to survive at this level, then their needs have to be considered and met.

Best read it again,If you haven't paid don't moan,If you have paid moan all you want,youv'e paid your money make your choice.Where did I say sod off,most of the moaners on here NEVER go.

You have a season ticket! Where is the struggle if you can't be bothered to turn up?

I think it's a little unfair to say l can't be bothered. I love watching City, but over the last few months it has at times been a tortuous affair. People are valuing their time more, l assume based on an enjoyment criteria. No matter if your BCFC's No.1 fan or a part-time follower, the fact remains there are plenty of other things that people will get more enjoyment out of than visiting AG at present.

Now I will talk about my reasons for no longer being that interested in going to football, I always had a season ticket as a kid, I used to pay for my own too by doing sticking up and I was hooked,

I just seriously hope you are talking about skittles here ?

To answer the original question though - Saturday I will be as always at the ground watching my team.

Its the same every home game. Always will be like so many of you. For me, once you've got the bug its like love or

an addiction - both can be broken but it takes great effort and will.

for me, my love of football began with the 1978 World Cup. As an 8 year old I was instantly hooked. The City thing started

a couple of years later and |I can count on 1 hand the amount of games missed in the alst 20 years.

So whoever is the manager, whoever plays, whovever scores or misses - they are my team and I will cheer them from the

rafters.

You see a load of blokes in pubs who perhaps used to go and watch many years ago before either money, or family pressures

didn't permit them to go anymore. Who knows, the same could happen to me in the future so while I can - I WILL bloody enjoy it.

Even if it doesn't seem like it at times.

So good luck to Steve for his game. Make us proud

It's not my thing to be honest. I've probably only enjoyed 2 or 3 games in the last 2 years. The thing is , I support Bristol City FC , not a manager or a bunch of players. I've been doing it all my life and I dont think it will ever change while I still have my health.

I just find it staggering the amount of posters on here who dont go to games , yet bleat on about how shit we are & moaning about not appointing the manager they want. If people are not making the effort to attend Ashton Gate , what difference does it make to them.

Fair enough if you live hundreds of miles away but posters from Bristol are not even prepared to travel a few miles to support the club , and then come on here and whinge.

Still each to their own I suppose , sorry about the rant and I'll see you next time we get to Wembley.

Spot on!

I'll be there, hopefully the team picked will pull their fingers out and get a result. Then on the way home I'll tune into Twentyman who will be taking calls from supporters sat at home in their armchairs telling everybody that we've turned the corner.

Best read it again,If you haven't paid don't moan,If you have paid moan all you want,youv'e paid your money make your choice.Where did I say sod off,most of the moaners on here NEVER go.

Best read mine again too! Those thousands of supporters who are moaning but don't go, want to go but are more picky with what they do with their time and money. Therefore their moans are valid, because they'd like to spend their cash and time on City, but the concerns they are expressing are stopping them from doing that.

As I said before, if their moaning isn't taken into consideration then you're ignoring the much bigger customer base then the 9000 odd core that will moan, but probably end up going any way.

If it's put up or shut up, then fine, but expect a much smaller crowd and as a result a lower division.

Best read mine again too! Those thousands of supporters who are moaning but don't go, want to go but are more picky with what they do with their time and money. Therefore their moans are valid, because they'd like to spend their cash and time on City, but the concerns they are expressing are stopping them from doing that.

As I said before, if their moaning isn't taken into consideration then you're ignoring the much bigger customer base then the 9000 odd core that will moan, but probably end up going any way.

If it's put up or shut up, then fine, but expect a much smaller crowd and as a result a lower division.

Don't need to read it I wrote it,many of the people who moan don't go and won't go,there's always one excuse or another,some valid as in not having the money, work reasons or are exiled and thats fine,no problem, the ones I'm talking about just moan for the sake of it some playing the devils advocate no doubt.If it isn't one thing wrong it's another,as I've said before they moaned about the manager we had and now they're moaning about one we don't yet have.

Archived